Page 264 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1642142542622632642652662743143647641264 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Full Sail Pale DoubleBock

In my youth, my friend and I would raid his dad's Stroh's supply.
    One day when it ran out he replaced it with bock beer, Suprise.
    (might have been a message there).

Had bock beers on occasion, but was never a must have,

When I saw this Full Sail offering, It said "buy me".

Happy I did! I tend to appreciate the Full Sail line of beers.

I Shared one with my son, (who is much more intuned to these things than I),
    We both agreed for the 9%ABV it has a relativly low IBU and not the
    hit to the palate one might expect.

I can envision a wide range of spicy foods from BBQ's, Cajun, Indian, kicked up
    pizza's that this would go well with.

The below description is plagiarized from:
    http://ak.worldclassbeer.com/beerspy...ersary-/11569/

"Brewed to celebrate our 25th Anniversary, "25" is a complex, luxurious beer
    brewed with Vienna Malt and Saaz hops, extended lagering produces full bodied
    flavors of caramel and honey with a hoppy backbone of white pepper and lemon
    spice. A beer made for celebration, Full Sail 25 is an elegant Northwest Style
    Pale Doppelbock. 70 IBU and 9.0%abv. It will be available throughout our 25th
    year on draft and in 22 oz bottles."

Might be worth the effort to find and try.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    "Brainless Raspberries Release #2-Epic Brewing

Bomber bought March 2013, shortly after its release, and shared with our son last PM. Poured a light golden pink (odd phrasing there) with a small head that did not linger. The base is a Belgian golden style ale with pilsner, Maris Otter, carapils, flaked oats and wheat malts along with Premiant, Tettnang and Saaz hops for a rather light-bodied base ale along with light candy sugar and raspberry puree added. This is no lightweight on the ABV scale, clocking in at 9.7% with minimal alcohol burn. I'd guess the IBUs in the 20-30 range. This is Jolly Rancher raspberry bubble gum-like tasting with a mild floral nose and slightest hints of black pepper from the Belgian yeast. Served chilled in pint glasses as an after dinner drink by itself, but would be pleasant with assorted fruits and soft cheeses before or after a meal for a dessert beverage, too."

Where did you purchase this brew? We're working on a really solid Belgian golden as our flagship but we're not going to be much north of 5% ABV, but I have Saaz and a friend said he could have sent to me as much Czech hops as I need. I haven't heard of Premiant before, but I've also not heard of Belma hops, which my brewer said he really likes. I've started a diary/log of hops varieties, I think I'm up to 110 so far. I planted 300 rhizomes this week, all Cascade, purchased 300 Chinook and 50 more Zeus, meaning I'm up to 850 this year I have to finish planting. My plans are to gett about 300 more in the ground on the farm in South Hill and have 250 in fairly large planters, which can be transplanted once the Biergarten is built. Not worried about using any of our own hops this year-just looking toward the future. We will use some, but it's not going to be of major consequence in our plans.

I bought a cubic yard of compost yesterday and my engineer had 33 4-gallon buckets spread out in his pick-up and we had the compost poured into the bed of the pick-up which worked out well. I was given another 40 containers today and will get more compost and fill them, meaning I should have about 90 containers of excellent soil-filled and planted hops by week's end.

I'll let them root and grow for this summer and transplant in the future. One of our local nurseries are selling one year-old plants for $35/each. I'll have over a hundred of those next year at a cost of about $1.50/each, plus our elbow-grease, so I'm opening a small-time nursery as well, but only for hops.
    Hops=New cash crop for Virginia and NC. I've given away some rhizomes for folks to grow to try to expand interest. I think it will take off.

Question, in another post there appears discussion about overkill in the craft-brewery growth; I'd like to know what the consensus is for the near-term and long-term viability of the business. I'm trying to layer my business to be able to withstand any pressure on any one aspect of it. I'm growing hops. My farmer and a few others will grow specified grains for breweries. I'll sell hops. I'll sell plants. We're looking into opening a hops processing plant and possibly a malting plant. (Lots of potential there, especially with lots of empty buildings/warehouses in South Hill and ease of transportation being on the interstate) We'll brew and sell beer. We'll have multiple locations to sell beer-not simply through distribution, but we'll make beer in South Hill and have Brewpubs in select locations. Then there's the retail side of selling associated products of the brewery, which we have plenty of land nearby to use.

Any how, I just about exposed about nearly everything I'm working on, save building a golf course (Just kidding, there, at least for now)!

I firmly believe that there is a change underway with regards to beer consumption in this country and it's just getting some legs in the Mid-Atlantic and the South. There will certainly be some failures, but largely because of two factors: 1) under capitalization and poor planning, and 2) underwhelming product. I'm working hard to avoid such pitfalls, hence why it's taking me so long (not really) to get open.

Sorry for the long post. Have lots of hops to plant in the next 10 days. Even as much as it pains my body it's worth every minute. It's been a fun process. Go Duke!! Go Golden Leaf Brewing Company!!
    You can find Brainless at Sam's in Durham, Beer Dispensary in Apex, and a few other places. The base beer is decent enough, but their Brainless on ... leaves me wanting more fruit. A weak effort from a generally strong brewery. Their Big Bad Baptist is unbelievable.

As far as craft beer industry goes, I expect you'll have plenty of buyers for your hops. Who those buyers are will likely change in the next 3-5 years as non competitive breweries go out of business. I think the market overall has strong growth potential.

Take the Triangle as an example. Using the nice round 1 million number for the population, how many breweries can 1 million people support?
    Fullsteam, Triangle, Bull City in Durham. Steel String, Carolina Brewery, Top of the Hill in Chapel Hill / Carrboro.
    Lone Rider, Big Boss, Natty Greene's, Crank Arm, Trophy / Busy Bee, Raleigh Brewing Company in Raleigh (I feel certain I am missing some). Outlying areas- Carolina Brewing Company, Aviator, Bombshell, others(?). Oh, and Mystery in Hillsborough. Not even counting Mother Earth in Kinston.

That's sixteen breweries off the top of my head.

Sixteen breweries competing for mindshare, and a slice of the billion dollar NC craft beer pie.
    I tried to work through the math, but simply don't know enough about the business side of beer.
    Private owners may be different than head brewers, but most experienced head brewers make in the 50-75k range. Either the brewers do it because they love it (I hope!) or there is not much profit in a craft brewery.

I love the diversity of beer brewed in the area but I am a poor steward.
    Outside of the world beer festival, I've never had Crank Arm or Trophy (or Ponysaurus, a new a Durham brewery-17!). I've been to RBC once.
    I do spend a bit on Mystery, Fullsteam, and a few others, but it's hard to keep 16 different local beers in the fridge.

I think your reason 2 will be why craft beer bubbles pop- poor product.

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    In my youth, my friend and I would raid his dad's Stroh's supply.
    One day when it ran out he replaced it with bock beer, Suprise.
    (might have been a message there).

Had bock beers on occasion, but was never a must have,

When I saw this Full Sail offering, It said "buy me".

Happy I did! I tend to appreciate the Full Sail line of beers.

I Shared one with my son, (who is much more intuned to these things than I),
    We both agreed for the 9%ABV it has a relativly low IBU and not the
    hit to the palate one might expect.

I can envision a wide range of spicy foods from BBQ's, Cajun, Indian, kicked up
    pizza's that this would go well with.

The below description is plagiarized from:
    http://ak.worldclassbeer.com/beerspy...ersary-/11569/

"Brewed to celebrate our 25th Anniversary, "25" is a complex, luxurious beer
    brewed with Vienna Malt and Saaz hops, extended lagering produces full bodied
    flavors of caramel and honey with a hoppy backbone of white pepper and lemon
    spice. A beer made for celebration, Full Sail 25 is an elegant Northwest Style
    Pale Doppelbock. 70 IBU and 9.0%abv. It will be available throughout our 25th
    year on draft and in 22 oz bottles."

Might be worth the effort to find and try.
    I've had several(many) of the Full Sail line of brews over the last 15 years or so. Their special release/Brewmaster's Reserve series have all been excellent. I held on to an imperial porter from 2008 and served it at a tailgate this past season to rave reviews. I think I've had their double bock and liked that a lot also. I'm really surprised it is 70 IBUs as bocks/double bocks are lagers and it's pretty uncommon for them to have more than 20-30 IBUs. Excellent choice. Descriptions are OK to lift from the brewer's website.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    You can find Brainless at Sam's in Durham, Beer Dispensary in Apex, and a few other places. The base beer is decent enough, but their Brainless on ... leaves me wanting more fruit. A weak effort from a generally strong brewery. Their Big Bad Baptist is unbelievable.

As far as craft beer industry goes, I expect you'll have plenty of buyers for your hops. Who those buyers are will likely change in the next 3-5 years as non competitive breweries go out of business. I think the market overall has strong growth potential.

Take the Triangle as an example. Using the nice round 1 million number for the population, how many breweries can 1 million people support?
    Fullsteam, Triangle, Bull City in Durham. Steel String, Carolina Brewery, Top of the Hill in Chapel Hill / Carrboro.
    Lone Rider, Big Boss, Natty Greene's, Crank Arm, Trophy / Busy Bee, Raleigh Brewing Company in Raleigh (I feel certain I am missing some). Outlying areas- Carolina Brewing Company, Aviator, Bombshell, others(?). Oh, and Mystery in Hillsborough. Not even counting Mother Earth in Kinston.

That's sixteen breweries off the top of my head.

Sixteen breweries competing for mindshare, and a slice of the billion dollar NC craft beer pie.
    I tried to work through the math, but simply don't know enough about the business side of beer.
    Private owners may be different than head brewers, but most experienced head brewers make in the 50-75k range. Either the brewers do it because they love it (I hope!) or there is not much profit in a craft brewery.

I love the diversity of beer brewed in the area but I am a poor steward.
    Outside of the world beer festival, I've never had Crank Arm or Trophy (or Ponysaurus, a new a Durham brewery-17!). I've been to RBC once.
    I do spend a bit on Mystery, Fullsteam, and a few others, but it's hard to keep 16 different local beers in the fridge.

I think your reason 2 will be why craft beer bubbles pop- poor product.
    I'll add Gizmo (if still in business) in Raleigh, White Street in Wake Forest, Double Barley Brewing in Smithfield and Deep River in Clayton, none of which I've ever tried. You did well to name 17. I probably could have named only 12-13.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'll add Gizmo (if still in business) in Raleigh, White Street in Wake Forest, Double Barley Brewing in Smithfield and Deep River in Clayton, none of which I've ever tried. You did well to name 17. I probably could have named only 12-13.
    Gizmo, formerly Roth Brewing, that wouldn't brew an IPA so their best customers bought them out and reinvented as Gizmo. Not a fan, but they did try some neat things like a cinnamon porter.

I've had beers from all three you named at the brunch this weekend. All make pretty decent beer.
    In fact, White Street just won gold at the World Beer Championships a couple weeks ago, with Mother Earth taking bronze for Kolsch.
    There's also Fortnight in Cary and a couple in Fayetteville can't recall- Beer Army and some brewery named after a hardware store.

I actually really want to try Fortnight. I am hoping their approach to English style ales make me forget how good the English style beers are in New England (Maine, Vermont, NH specifically).

Gizmo, formerly Roth Brewing, that wouldn't brew an IPA so their best customers bought them out and reinvented as Gizmo. Not a fan, but they did try some neat things like a cinnamon porter.

I've had beers from all three you named at the brunch this weekend. All make pretty decent beer.
    In fact, White Street just won gold at the World Beer Championships a couple weeks ago, with Mother Earth taking bronze for Kolsch.
    There's also Fortnight in Cary and a couple in Fayetteville can't recall- Beer Army and some brewery named after a hardware store.

I actually really want to try Fortnight. I am hoping their approach to English style ales make me forget how good the English style beers are in New England (Maine, Vermont, NH specifically).
    Fayetteville breweries:

http://www.themashhouse.com/

These folks brew for Tribeca Tavern on Falls of Neuse Road in Raleigh (formerly Michael Dean's) and Twisted Fork at Triangle Town Center Mall on Capital Boulevard.

http://www.huskehardware.com/craft_beer.aspx

Had their watermelon wheat a couple years ago. Pretty good beer that reminded me of Hell or High Watermelon from 21st Amendment Brewing.

Beer Army is out of Jacksonville, NC, IIRC.

http://beerarmy.com/BeerArmyCombatBrewery

I should make it through the month of April with no additional beer purchases. Total still stands at $87 spent on beer so far this year including retail shops and drafts. I have a trip to Lexington, KY planned first weekend in May. That may derail my strategy if they have a nice selection of Goose Island reserve/Brewmaster beverages and/or any Three Floyds brews and fuse places an order... Hell, I've still got stuff I bought there in October that I haven't touched.

I should make it through the month of April with no additional beer purchases. Total still stands at $87 spent on beer so far this year including retail shops and drafts. I have a trip to Lexington, KY planned first weekend in May. That may derail my strategy if they have a nice selection of Goose Island reserve/Brewmaster beverages and/or any Three Floyds brews and fuse places an order... Hell, I've still got stuff I bought there in October that I haven't touched.
    I'm off the not-buying wagon.
    Bought a case of Mother Earth Park Day Pilsner($40) last week.

I may have been deliberately draining down but I've exhausted most of my non refrigerated stock.

I won't be going crazy but when I see something I want, I won't be shy.

Likely to pick up some NoDa and OMB this week if you want some.

Anticipated Grand Opening is still TBD. Several issues to work through as far as the site. Not gonna rush it.

Anticipated Grand Opening is still TBD. Several issues to work through as far as the site. Not gonna rush it.
    Just give us as much lead time as you can so we can be there.

If you need some help with a "soft open"/ test market, happy to help :-)

Add Boylan Street Brewpub to your list of Raleigh brewing establishments. Never been there either.

Add Boylan Street Brewpub to your list of Raleigh brewing establishments. Never been there either.
    Heard it was decent. Was even given a gift of a free tour, never made it.

Had NoDa Jam Session Pale Ale tonight- on the hoppy side for a pale ale but tasty nonetheless.
    Wanted a Triple C IPA after but they were out so I was offered a Catawba White Zombie "IPA".
    It was tasty but something wasn't right. Turns out its a Belgian style witbier.
    Went well with what I was eating so no complaints.

There will definitely be a "soft opening," as in, while we're waiting for our major brewery equipment we start a test kitchen and seek advice. That might be possible in May with a Grand Opening in July. Have some details to work out with the restaurant owner and ABC folks.

There will definitely be a "soft opening," as in, while we're waiting for our major brewery equipment we start a test kitchen and seek advice. That might be possible in May with a Grand Opening in July. Have some details to work out with the restaurant owner and ABC folks.
    38.gif38.gif

beer.gifbeer.gif

Leftovers from office meeting I missed last week and found in back of 'fridge today:

Chillwave DIPA

Breakfast Stout

Also, 6 budlites.

Guess which ones I brought home?

Bought a case of Mother Earth Park Day Pilsner($40) last week.

I may have been deliberately draining down but I've exhausted most of my non refrigerated stock.

I won't be going crazy but when I see something I want, I won't be shy.

Likely to pick up some NoDa and OMB this week if you want some.
    Would be very interested in some trading after returning from Kentucky next weekend. I don't know what OMB is but I figure I should. Never had any NoDa brews but after reading davekay's thoughts and hearing about my son's tastings, I'd be interested in trying some of Charlotte's finest beverages, too. I still have singles for you from duketaylor including the cream ale, his golden and his raspberry RIS.

Leftovers from office meeting I missed last week and found in back of 'fridge today:

Chillwave DIPA

Breakfast Stout

Also, 6 budlites.

Guess which ones I brought home?
    Chillwave Double IPA-Great Lakes Brewing

May not be the best beer I've ever had like one of fuse's friends claims but this is an excellent DIPA. I'd love to taste test this with DFH 90 Minute and Lake Erie Monster. Poured a golden-straw color with a modest head and upfront aromas of fresh grapefruit and honey and tastes to match. Three hops and three malts, both in massive quantities, as the IBUs are 80 and the ABV is 9.4%. There's a bit of mango and papaya both on the olfactory and gustatory scales which makes for a very well balanced brew. Serve with spicy fare as this brew will stand up to about anything, or, sip for a nightcap by itself or with some hard, aged cheeses. If I see a 4 pack, I'd buy it, or gladly accept one or two from my son next month if he doesn't drink his extras up before we see him again.

Read all about it here:

https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/up...eet%202014.pdf

Bought a case of Mother Earth Park Day Pilsner($40) last week. ...
    So all the razor-blade-instead-of-Gillette-cartridge "savings" has just been re-directed ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    So all the razor-blade-instead-of-Gillette-cartridge "savings" has just been re-directed ...
    I wish I were thoughtful enough or deliberate enough to connect the two. :-)

Call it a happy accident, although I am attempting to be more deliberate in my beer purchases than I have been in the past.

I'm not enough of a market force to be felt but there is definitely a beer spending recession in my household.

Gotta give you credit though- great observation! :-)

Some random musings

Uptown Charlotte is beautiful, as is the new Charlotte Knights stadium (although I believe the Bulls won tonight :-)

Mystery Black a Saison, excellent.
    NoDa Hop, Drop and Roll, good but not sure what the gold medal fuss is all about.
    Natty Greene IPA - ick, why did I bother?
    NoDa Blonde, excellent.
    Triple C DIPA - why did I have two? Brilliant.

Sorry to not be mote descriptive or articulate .
    Best message of this post - avoid Natty Greene's.