Page 1 of 198 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Hybrid View

Ymm, Beer

I know we've got some beer-o-philes on the board, and we're now deep into the drink-beer, watch-sports fall season. So, question to the group --

What's your favorite beer, for what event/food/occasion?

I tried out Moose Drool's brown ale yesterday, at a barbeque where the MLB playoffs were on in the background. It was a nice beer, a bit heavy for the ribs, though. The Black Butte porter went well with the brownies later on.

Fat Tire is our 'household' standard, and tastes great after a day on the slopes while recovering in the hottub.

Busch Light will always hold a special place in my heart (if not my palate) and I usually trend towards the light stuff during Duke bball games.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

Fat Tire is our 'household' standard, and tastes great after a day on the slopes while recovering in the hottub.
    I just took up skiiing 4 years ago and, as a result, made my way out west a few times for the first time in 20 years. Not sure which I enjoyed most, the skiing and environment or the Fat Tire.

Now if only you can help me convince them to distribute down here in Florida!!

and your favorites among beers typically found on tap in an average pub?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Well, not found in your average (read, outside the South) pub, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Abita's Purple Haze.

<sigh> I need a trip to New Orleans....

beers

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    probably none(but name your taps in an 'average' pub)

beer

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post
    I just took up skiiing 4 years ago and, as a result, made my way out west a few times for the first time in 20 years. Not sure which I enjoyed most, the skiing and environment or the Fat Tire.

Now if only you can help me convince them to distribute down here in Florida!!
    And Fat Tire is not even their best offering.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And Fat Tire is not even their best offering.
    What do you recommend instead?

(And have you tried it while hot-tubbing, after skiing? I, like TampaDuke, discovered that particular concoction in the Colorado mountains....)

equatorial beer

The SO and I have found a new joy -- logging our dives while drinking the local brew. In Honduras, the most popular seemed to be "Port Royal" or "Barena"; In Fiji, "Fiji Bitter" or "Fiji Gold". Mexico - Dos Equis seemed to top the list.

We got to wondering, is there something historical/geographical/agricultural/cultural/financial about lighter, pilsner-type brews being the norm in the equatorial region? I mean, I've not run across a really fantastic, Costa Rican porter or Caribbean IPA, ya know?

beers

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    The SO and I have found a new joy -- logging our dives while drinking the local brew. In Honduras, the most popular seemed to be "Port Royal" or "Barena"; In Fiji, "Fiji Bitter" or "Fiji Gold". Mexico - Dos Equis seemed to top the list.

We got to wondering, is there something historical/geographical/agricultural/cultural/financial about lighter, pilsner-type brews being the norm in the equatorial region? I mean, I've not run across a really fantastic, Costa Rican porter or Caribbean IPA, ya know?
    Not much experience with Caribbean or S. American or equatorial brews but Kalick(sp?) from the Bahamas is a moderately potent full flavored ale.

I think most of your good IPA's are British or American with the styles differing mildly to moderately. The UK style is a bit darker and lower in alcohol and smoother than the US brewers who tend to use lots and lots and lots of hops, make it more bitter and higher alcohol content.

beers

sheesh-I feel like Jason 'I never met a post I didn't like' Evans tonite. I have work tomorrow and I just finished a Sweet Georgia Brown and Sweetwater IPA(thank you, Lavabe!) and have not even had a chance to read the on-topic board. More tomorrow perhaps.

Two suggestions

I've just recently tried Kona Pipeline Porter, and wow -- it's fantastic. Not sure if you can get it outside of the West Coast. I must say, being in Oregon is fantastic for beer.

When I'm back on the East Coast, I like to knock back a few Magic Hat #9s. That's a good beer! A little fruity and light, very drinkable.

A vote for all products of the Mendocino Brewing Company, especially the Eye of the Hawk. It's my reliable Saturday/Sunday afternoon football beer.

As for beer on tap, Mac and Jack's African Amber, which you can only get on tap, and I think can only get in Washington (the state, not the district), is my draught of choice.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    As for beer on tap, Mac and Jack's African Amber, which you can only get on tap, and I think can only get in Washington (the state, not the district), is my draught of choice.
    Ooh, Mac & Jack's is mighty tasty. Kind of forgot it was a local thing only.

Another good beer delicacy -- at the Redhook Brewery (a scant 1.2 miles from my abode) they've teamed up with a local dairy to create an absolutely scrumptious black porter ice cream. It's kind of caramel-y, but definitely has a beer kick; it is really good with hot fudge and caramel sauces!

Goose Island!

1-800-GOOSE-ME (no, seriously)

Portland is for porters...

... Bridgeport Brewing Company, that is.

During our family vacation this year, we stopped by the Bridgeport Brewing Company (good food too). Old Knucklehead, BlackStrap Stout, Beertown Brown, their signature IPA, and the Ropewalk Amber all stood out. Blue Heron Pale Ale was decent, but nowhere as good as the others. Try their sampler. FWIW, their food is actually pretty decent too!

Devildeac introduced me to Oregon's Rogue Brewery beers a number of years ago ... but Bridgeport was wonderful. The last minute directions to Bridgeport Brew's Portland location were GREATLY appreciated, Devildeac.

2005's Physical Anthropology meetings were held in Anchorage, Alaska in March ... FANTASTIC location, what with the GLACIER BREWHOUSE. The Amber Ale, IPA, and Oatmeal Stout are in the rotation all year round. The seasonals are nice too. Their Beam Scotch Ale was solid ... their selection requires that you stay in Anchorage at least four nights:
    http://glacierbrewhouse.com/beers2.htm

Note the RAZZ XXXMAS!

Schlafly Oatmeal Stout is certainly still produced. The Tap Room & Bottleworks are still in business in St. Louis (15th anniversary Ale comes out in October this year). They are having a Green Festival this weekend:
    http://www.schlafly.com/

But can you get Schlafly Oatmeal at Blueberry Hill? THROATY?? I heard that they have a Schlafly seasonal. It was so nice when you could get Schlafly at the former KC Masterpiece restaurant!

After I'm done in Carbondale, will drive to St. Louis ... and Schlafly is on my list of things to do. I am spending less than 24 hours in St. Louis.

African Beers that I love: Three Horses, Mamba, Kenya's Tusker lager. In most cases, you have to get the beer fresh, as the stuff changes quickly within the bottle. There is nothing like doing a long hike, followed up by a tall 3 Horses. It's a mediocre pilsener by most folks' standards, but it's the one pilsener I love... sentimental reasons. Star Brewery some years ago also had a decent shandy.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 10-09-2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Rogue Brewery & African roundup

Yes, DD, Schlafly still makes the Oatmeal Stout. Had some last moth at the location near Union Station.

The Durham location of Weeping Radish met its demise before I matriculated. I've only been to the original location in Manteo. Love the Black and the Christmas Bock. The others I can do without. I haven't been to their new brewery up in Currituck somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if the quality was compromised at the Brightleaf Square location.

I really miss the northern end of the OBX, come to think.

Yeah, I've had Fin du Monde and couple other Unibroues.

Ditto what Breen said about Belgians.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    2005's Physical Anthropology meetings were held in Anchorage, Alaska in March ... FANTASTIC location, what with the GLACIER BREWHOUSE. The Amber Ale, IPA, and Oatmeal Stout are in the rotation all year round. The seasonals are nice too. Their Beam Scotch Ale was solid ... their selection requires that you stay in Anchorage at least four nights:
    http://glacierbrewhouse.com/beers2.htm
    I second the Glacier Brewhouse. Not a bad brew on tap. My favorite ended up being the Beam Scotch Ale (quite possibly my all time favorite), followed by something that was on cask at the time, and the oatmeal stout. The bread made from the spent grains was rather tasty too.

I've found a few beers similar to the Beam Scotch Ale on tap in various locations, but haven't been able to find anything similar that I can pick up at the local store. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post

I've found a few beers similar to the Beam Scotch Ale on tap in various locations, but haven't been able to find anything similar that I can pick up at the local store. Any suggestions?
    Highland Tasgall Ale is delicious.

Tasgall ale

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Highland Tasgall Ale is delicious.
    Agreed. Very smooth, malty, toffee or caraml like. A nice representation of a Scotch ale. Sam Adams Scotch ale also deserves a taste or two. I am not much of a fan of Sam's products as I was several years ago but this one and their Double bock are quite good.

Here are some excellent beers from my side of the World:

San Miguel (Philippines)
    Asahi Super Dry (Japan)
    Singha (Thailand)
    Tiger (Singapore)
    Victoria Bitter (Australia)

And one of my favorite beer drinking cities is Hong Kong. Typically, you can find the beers listed above in the many fine pubs of Hong Kong (and some seedy bars as well, not that I'm admitting to ever having been in seedy Hong Kong bars).
    Bob Green
    United States Navy (Retired)
    @JBobGreen