Page 92 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 428290919293941021421925921092 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've gone back and looked at the recipe again, and you are correct. I misread and thought there was a wheat in the grain bag. I detect a strong wheat flavor as well, so that also added to my assumption. It was an interesting brew, and I'll probably do it again next year. My last ale in the bottle is an ESB, and this is a good one. Very good taste, but nothing fancy, just a nice, crisp ale, medium-light color and well hopped. It will be good on a summer afternoon, but of course it won't last that long! I'm going to New Bern today to check out a home brew shop there and bring a kit home. I'm not sure what I'll decide on, but I'll be brewing it tonight whatever it is. In my other bucket, I've got a German Altbier. This one is definitely a wheat, contains 1lb Northwestern Weizen dry malt extract. That bummed me out a bit, because I didn't expect it to be a wheat. I do like them, but I've already brewed 3 this year. However, the recipe looks and smelled delicious, the grain bag had a third pound British chocolate malt, so it went into the fermenter a lovely dark color. I expect it to be reminscent of the Dunkel Weiss I made earlier this year.
    Where is the home brew shop? I think the shop has the potential to be a nice way to end long days at work. Of course I can always be your brew shop courier when you don't have time to make it to New Bern. Just give me a list

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've gone back and looked at the recipe again, and you are correct. I misread and thought there was a wheat in the grain bag. I detect a strong wheat flavor as well, so that also added to my assumption. It was an interesting brew, and I'll probably do it again next year. My last ale in the bottle is an ESB, and this is a good one. Very good taste, but nothing fancy, just a nice, crisp ale, medium-light color and well hopped. It will be good on a summer afternoon, but of course it won't last that long! I'm going to New Bern today to check out a home brew shop there and bring a kit home. I'm not sure what I'll decide on, but I'll be brewing it tonight whatever it is. In my other bucket, I've got a German Altbier. This one is definitely a wheat, contains 1lb Northwestern Weizen dry malt extract. That bummed me out a bit, because I didn't expect it to be a wheat. I do like them, but I've already brewed 3 this year. However, the recipe looks and smelled delicious, the grain bag had a third pound British chocolate malt, so it went into the fermenter a lovely dark color. I expect it to be reminscent of the Dunkel Weiss I made earlier this year.
    Alt beers are not that common but the few I've had have been smooth and slightly sweet. I had a Double Bag (a double schtike, if I spelled it correctly) this summer from Vermont. It was a double alt, or I guess an "imperial alt," and was quite a smooth operator at about 7% ABV.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    Where is the home brew shop? I think the shop has the potential to be a nice way to end long days at work. Of course I can always be your brew shop courier when you don't have time to make it to New Bern. Just give me a list
    Just got back from it, with ingredients for an oatmeal stout. It's a pretty good shop, although his supply was low. Still had enough to brew a bunch of differerent recipe's though. You, Stephen and I outta make a trip one Saturday for the fun of it, although I might take you up on the courier service every once in a while. The owner mentioned they have a brew club, and brew in a parking lot 4 times a year, that sounds fun. I'm gonna email him for more info. Anyways, tonight I'll be dancing a few Irish jigs as the oatmeal stout brews away.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    P.S. The Homebrew Haus is located on 70 at the same intersection you take for the airport. Coming from New Bern, it's on the right side service road.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Brooklyn Monster 2008-Just released in the last week or two so it's fresh. Just kidding here and you'll understand why after a couple more posts as the evening rolls on.

The 2008 edition of their barleywine. I've always liked this brew as it is highly drinkable from the time it first hits the shelves each December or so and ages nicely, too. (2nd hint) Clear, smooth and a reddish-gold pour with a small head which doesn't last long, especially at 10.3% ABV this year (3rd hint). Huge amounts of malt which make it slightly sweet. This is balanced with generous amounts of floral hops. Serve it at about 50-55 degrees in a goblet or snifter to enjoy its sherry-like aroma, too. Some dark, candied fruits are in the taste, also. Buy a 6er and savor one now and save several for cellaring over the next 1-5 years. More later.

Thumbs up OH my!!

New Glarus night with devildeac.

Let''s just say, a quick reread of throaty's initial description of New Glarus' Raspberry Tart is dead on.

Ymm, Beer:

Wisconsin wheat ale with oregon raspberries. Color: Purple/red cloudy, with ample carbonation, no head. Forget aftertaste. There is only one taste.

I am trying to figure out the oak cask-ing on this one.

Geez... this is a SOLID #1 seed in the Midwest. We're talkin' Duke 1991.

Geez... the name says it all. Probably the best fruit beer of my life.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Smile Avery Old Jubilation on draught

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    First snow of the year early this morning (November 14? Maybe Al Gore is on to something) and it's going to be in the teens tonight so I figured I give Avery's Old Jubilation a try. First and foremost--because I love labels--this beer has a fantastic label for a winter ale (painting of a 19th Century mansion at Christmas time with a horse drawn sled pulling up for a party). As for the beer, it isn't spice at all, which is nice break from most winter ales. It's very sweet on the nose with notes of chocolate and hazelnut (never would've picked that out but for the brewer's own description). The flavor is all sweet chocolate and toffee malts. Most importantly, at 8% ABV, it warms very well. A solid winter ale that, because of its lack of spice, is different.
    I had one on draught yesterday at the BrickStorePub, with EarlJam slurping a Belgian Trippel (or was it a double).

I had NO idea about the chocolate and hazlenut, as this was served on draught. Good times! What a refreshing break from the Christmas spice attempts. Color: Dark brown top black, light carbonation. Nose: Slight sweet, not fruity, not piney. Taste: Initial sweet & bitter buds felt very active early on, then a slight alcohol melting paired with a rich malt towards the end.

Ymm, Beer:

Nice suggestion, rmd!! Thank you very much!!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    It's in the B concourse, all the way down at the end near the B80s. There's an escalator that goes down to another set of B gates that fly to smaller cities like Eugene or Bozeman. It's near there.
    Bless you, RMD, for this nugget of DIA wisdom. Mr. DA & I camped out here for 3 hours, and enjoyed the tasty brews (well, I did, Mr. DA not being much of a beer drinker.) It was a nice way to get some enjoyment out of a bad situation.

I tried the Abbey (a dubbel), which was enjoyable, but a little on the sweet side when paired against nachos ; and then enjoyed the 2 Below available on draft.

The Porter - Atlanta

I went to a new (since October) beer bar in Atlanta, called The Porter. (I am visiting my in-laws this week.) EarlJam, Lavabe and other Atlantans should check this place out. I highly recommend it.

The Porter is in Little Five Points, and shares the vibe of the area. Like Decatur's Brickstore Pub, the Porter has an outstanding beer selection. Check out the menu here: http://www.theporterbeerbar.com/home

I started the evening with a German sampler. (Franziskaner Dunkelweizen, Spaten Optimator, and I think Celebrator Doppelbock). My wife had a local sampler, and a friend had a Belgian sampler. (All sampler consist of 3 4 oz. beers.) The sampler is a nice way to taste a variety of beers. I liked the Frankziskaner the best of my sampler. From the local sampler, I give big props to the Red Brick Oatmeal Porter.

After the samplers, I had a Great Divide Hercules Double IPA. It was my first time having this beer (from Denver). I enjoyed it very much, but was the only one at the table who did. (No other hopheads with me.) I finished the evening with a Lagunitas Pilsner, which was okay but nothing to write home about.

The Porter also has good food. I especially recommend the vinegar and salt popcorn, which is a wonderful accompaniment to the beer.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    I went to a new (since October) beer bar in Atlanta, called The Porter. (I am visiting my in-laws this week.) EarlJam, Lavabe and other Atlantans should check this place out. I highly recommend it.

The Porter is in Little Five Points, and shares the vibe of the area. Like Decatur's Brickstore Pub, the Porter has an outstanding beer selection. Check out the menu here: http://www.theporterbeerbar.com/home

I started the evening with a German sampler. (Franziskaner Dunkelweizen, Spaten Optimator, and I think Celebrator Doppelbock). My wife had a local sampler, and a friend had a Belgian sampler. (All sampler consist of 3 4 oz. beers.) The sampler is a nice way to taste a variety of beers. I liked the Frankziskaner the best of my sampler. From the local sampler, I give big props to the Red Brick Oatmeal Porter.

After the samplers, I had a Great Divide Hercules Double IPA. It was my first time having this beer (from Denver). I enjoyed it very much, but was the only one at the table who did. (No other hopheads with me.) I finished the evening with a Lagunitas Pilsner, which was okay but nothing to write home about.

The Porter also has good food. I especially recommend the vinegar and salt popcorn, which is a wonderful accompaniment to the beer.
    Slim,
    Overall, the beer list isn't as diverse as BrickStorePub, but the use of samplers is MUCH better than what goes on at BSP. Having said that, EJam was able to get a few tastes from the BSP bar.

I also noticed that the Porter has on draught Sweetwater's "Dank Tank," which may be a euphemism for what the brew has been called on its web site (the name which might draw infraction points).

Food wise, the menu seems a little skimpy, but it seems to target its location very well. BSP doesn't have a large menu, but the food there is well done, reasonably priced, and quite diverse. EJam had a good Bruncwick Stew there the other day.

Turns out that the big local artsy paper, Creative Loafing, has spotted a trend in these sorts of places in Atlanta fairly recently. There are a couple of others that have just opened up.

Overall, I am VERY glad about the news, Slim. DEFINITELY a place to check out next time in Atlanta.

Red Brick was one of the first brews I had when I moved into Atlanta. Was this the Double Chocolate Oatmeal Porter, or the plain Oatmeal Stout (which is called Red Brick Porter, even though it's an Oatmeal Stout)?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

They just called it an Oatmeal Porter. Very tasty no matter what it was.

I still have not been to the BrickStorePub. It is hard for me to get out when visiting the in-laws. (I'm not complaining; it's just the way it is...) Maybe I can make a trip there when I come back this summer....

Not an extensive food menu at the Porter, but what we had was tasty. And the salt & vinegar popcorn is really, really good.

Did EarlJam expose himself for the free samples at BrickStore?

I still have not been to the BrickStorePub. It is hard for me to get out when visiting the in-laws. (I'm not complaining; it's just the way it is...) Maybe I can make a trip there when I come back this summer....

Not an extensive food menu at the Porter, but what we had was tasty. And the salt & vinegar popcorn is really, really good.

Yes. He did Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, another beer that cannot be named here without infractions, and a Belgian. He went with the Belgian. As per his post the next day about rubbing his eyes, I believe EJ got Pitsnogeled.

Thanks for trying the Porter. It JUST did open up, so your review was very helpful.

Makes me wish I had left Atlanta today instead of yesterday.
    Cheers,
    Lavae

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Yes. He did Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, another beer that cannot be named here without infractions, and a Belgian. He went with the Belgian. As per his post the next day about rubbing his eyes, I believe EJ got Pitsnogeled.

Thanks for trying the Porter. It JUST did open up, so your review was very helpful.

Makes me wish I had left Atlanta today instead of yesterday.
    Cheers,
    Lavae
    1) I think I would expose myself for a Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, too.

2) I need more clues on the beer that cannot be named here without infractions.

1) I think I would expose myself for a Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, too.

2) I need more clues on the beer that cannot be named here without infractions.
    Go to the Sweetwater Brewery web site and look for their newer "Catch 'n' Release" specialty beers.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Oh. My. Word. I really hope not. Not only would he be "leader of the banned," he would probably be the DBR "leader of the jailed/arrested!

Our New Year's eve fish fry and beer tasting went well again. All of the beers have been (I think) reviewed here before, or are not worthy of review. The beers most appreciated seemed to be (in order) G. Lakes Ed. Fitzgerald, Saranac Caramel Porter, Bell's Oberon, and Shiner Blonde. The Caramel Porter was the after dinner choice of most of the six guys, the women were gathered in another area drinking mixed drink stuff or wine. One guy brought Miller Lite, but after unmercifully harassing him for awhile we forgave him because 1, we had enough of our beer to ignore his, and 2, he brought a whole lot of shrimp. Happy New Year everyone--drink well.

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Our New Year's eve fish fry and beer tasting went well again. All of the beers have been (I think) reviewed here before, or are not worthy of review. The beers most appreciated seemed to be (in order) G. Lakes Ed. Fitzgerald, Saranac Caramel Porter, Bell's Oberon, and Shiner Blonde. The Caramel Porter was the after dinner choice of most of the six guys, the women were gathered in another area drinking mixed drink stuff or wine. One guy brought Miller Lite, but after unmercifully harassing him for awhile we forgave him because 1, we had enough of our beer to ignore his, and 2, he brought a whole lot of shrimp. Happy New Year everyone--drink well.
    Drink well? You can count on that. This year started out with a New Belgium Trippel, previously reviewed by several folks here. This is continuing to be one of my favorites-when I can get it.

What is this doing on page 2?

Just to keep it legitimate-Lavabe forgot to take his CB&B home brews with him when he returned to Kentucky via Atlanta last week.

Red face Real reason

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Just to keep it legitimate-Lavabe forgot to take his CB&B home brews with him when he returned to Kentucky via Atlanta last week.
    We had no room in the car. I mean it. Traveling with Georgia, LL, and ILJ means very little space.

Perhaps it'll go west when the devildeacs next visit us?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Post the Portland bracket and we would have no worries about ever falling back to page 2.

FWIW, just found an interesting brew from Maine.