Page 91 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 418189909192931011411915911091 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Might I suggest:
    Go to Ale, Carolina, Go to Ale!
    Or, if you wanted to keep it real simple, just name your first beer 9F.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    One of the books I have, "The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide", has an ale called Blue Devil Brew. "In celebration of Duke University's back-to-back NCAA Basketball Championships in 1991 and 1992, some alumni created this recipe". I'd try it, but it's a low alchohol blueberry ale, so it sounds too close to a wine cooler. Not a big fan of the fruit beers. (Except cherry).
    To counteract the Duke ale, they included a recipe for a strong ale, called Tarhell Tarwebock.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    One of the books I have, "The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide", has an ale called Blue Devil Brew. "In celebration of Duke University's back-to-back NCAA Basketball Championships in 1991 and 1992, some alumni created this recipe". I'd try it, but it's a low alchohol blueberry ale, so it sounds too close to a wine cooler. Not a big fan of the fruit beers. (Except cherry).
    To counteract the Duke ale, they included a recipe for a strong ale, called Tarhell Tarwebock.
    That's actually kinda surprising as I thought that any recipes for unc beverages had to include various whines.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    That's actually kinda surprising as I thought that any recipes for unc beverages had to include various whines.
    It HAS to be a barleywhine.

Avery bomber night coming up...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Corsendonk Christmas Ale
    Saved this gift from a co-worker until Christmas day, it's a Belgian import.
    8.5% ABV, dark amber with a light colored head, very aromatic and flavorful. I'm having a hard time pegging down the flavor; it's a little nutty, a little fruity. The body is light, but all in all it's very nice. Not one I'd buy in a 6 pack, but it would have a welcome spot in a sampler pack. A good ale to close out a great Christmas with.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Avery bomber night coming up...
    Paging RMD.

First entry: The Reverend-a Belgian quadruple. I still haven't figured out the Quad part. I know a triple fermentation product but a Quad? Nevermind, however. This is a really fine beer. A mixture of hops but the imported Belgian barley and dark Belgian candy sugar make this highly enjoyable. Little head. Golden and clear. Malty/sweet nose and aromas and tastes of bananas, cloves, apples and pears to me. 10% ABV with a prominent alcohol presence from the 1st sniff to the after taste. Great with cheeses (Monterey Jack and cheddar with a Granny Smith apple, too).

Corsendonk Christmas Ale
    Saved this gift from a co-worker until Christmas day, it's a Belgian import.
    8.5% ABV, dark amber with a light colored head, very aromatic and flavorful. I'm having a hard time pegging down the flavor; it's a little nutty, a little fruity. The body is light, but all in all it's very nice. Not one I'd buy in a 6 pack, but it would have a welcome spot in a sampler pack. A good ale to close out a great Christmas with.
    Curse you! I haven't had one of these in years but I may have to go out and buy one tomorrow now that you reminded me. You may want to try the N'ice Chouffe or Scaldis Noel, too.

Paging RMD.

First entry: The Reverend-a Belgian quadruple. I still haven't figured out the Quad part. I know a triple fermentation product but a Quad? Nevermind, however. This is a really fine beer. A mixture of hops but the imported Belgian barley and dark Belgian candy sugar make this highly enjoyable. Little head. Golden and clear. Malty/sweet nose and aromas and tastes of bananas, cloves, apples and pears to me. 10% ABV with a prominent alcohol presence from the 1st sniff to the after taste. Great with cheeses (Monterey Jack and cheddar with a Granny Smith apple, too).
    The Maharaja review tomorrow. Too tired tonight.

The Maharaja review tomorrow. Too tired tonight.
    Since it's the Ymmm, Beer thread, I think that should be too Fat-Tired.

Since it's the Ymmm, Beer thread, I think that should be too Fat-Tired.
    I've got a bomber of one of those in the 'fridge, too. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday to share with the visitors/family...

Smile

Paging RMD.

Several items:
    1) Color: amber orange to gold. Extremely clear.
    2) Sugar: very peculiar, but it really does make this a special, smooth, and deceptively potent brew.
    3) Aroma: I did not pick up on the fruity nose, but I was concentrating on the variety of hops.
    4) Stellar pairing with cheese, apple, and crackers.

Much appreciated, devildeac!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Thumbs up Avery Maharaja

a.k.a., Attack of the Hops.

Yes, so the IBU's are pushing up there, so I was curious about the variety of hops on this one. After coming off a quadrupel Avery, I thought I was being attacked by a trippel. Dead wrong, as this Imperial IPA was clearly hoppy, but not as overt as say Hopslam or Aprihop. Strong hop initially, but melted away with strong ABV. Nice head, brownish color, mild-low carbonation.

Ymm, Beer: 1/2

Paired well with apples and crackers.

Thanks for the brew, devildeac.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

a.k.a., Attack of the Hops.

Yes, so the IBU's are pushing up there, so I was curious about the variety of hops on this one. After coming off a quadrupel Avery, I thought I was being attacked by a trippel. Dead wrong, as this Imperial IPA was clearly hoppy, but not as overt as say Hopslam or Aprihop. Strong hop initially, but melted away with strong ABV. Nice head, brownish color, mild-low carbonation.

Ymm, Beer: 1/2

Paired well with apples and crackers.

Thanks for the brew, devildeac.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Maharaja IIPA-Avery Brewing-Do I have any taste buds left after a Reverend and a Maharaja? I'm not sure but we'll try again tonight.

As the name says, an imperial IPA loaded with a variety of hops. We had to look it up but I got one right-Simcoe. My first scent was grapefruit and zest. There are 3 other varieties, all of which lend to its somewhat floral and somewhat sprucey nose, too. Nice head. Slightly cloudy. Little smoothness from malts but there are plenty there as the ABV is 10.21% and the IBU are 102. Wow.

Clarification point: 3 tasters split 2 bombers last PM. If we had one each, I doubt we'd be awake yet this AM.

CB&B's Morehead Madness Hop Shop-Belgian Red-Nice red ale. Would not have thought wheat ale if he had not posted it. Light reddish-brown. Clear and clean and crisp. A bit bready, slightly sweet and malty. No citrus zing. ABV about 5-6%. Went nicely with assorted sammiches, pork loin and beef tenderloin at the last Brunchgate. Got 2-3 left and Lavabe and I will fight bitterly (no pun intended) for the odd bottle.

For the same reason I have no problem visualizing the beach gang sipping home brews and Chimays while grilling seafood and watching Duke hoops.
    My idea of heaven! That's why we live here

Might I suggest:
    Go to Ale, Carolina, Go to Ale!
    I would adore that, but the "Two Blue" means that one of us, and it sure as hell is not me, likes that nasty shade of light blue He might get a kick out carolina being told to "go to ale" since he loves beer so much

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    I would adore that, but the "Two Blue" means that one of us, and it sure as hell is not me, likes that nasty shade of light blue He might get a kick out carolina being told to "go to ale" since he loves beer so much
    Given the double meaning, it might sell better.

Ale to the Chief-Avery-I'll say 'ail to RMD for his suggestions/reviews over the prior 18 months or so, for if he didn't suggest/review this, I'd have never tried it. An imperial pale ale so not as hoppy as some of the IPAs and IIPAs he/we have reviewed in recent months. I think the bottle-writing played down the role of "imperial" and referred to it as a bi-partisan ale so it probably had a blend of hops as none in particular overwhelmed me. Spucey and floral and slightly funky/sour. Golden to amber with mild foam. Took me a couple hours to enjoy a bomber of this at 8.75% ABV a few weeks ago and well worth it.

CB&B's Morehead Madness Hop Shop-Belgian Red-Nice red ale. Would not have thought wheat ale if he had not posted it. Light reddish-brown. Clear and clean and crisp. A bit bready, slightly sweet and malty. No citrus zing. ABV about 5-6%. Went nicely with assorted sammiches, pork loin and beef tenderloin at the last Brunchgate. Got 2-3 left and Lavabe and I will fight bitterly (no pun intended) for the odd bottle.
    I've gone back and looked at the recipe again, and you are correct. I misread and thought there was a wheat in the grain bag. I detect a strong wheat flavor as well, so that also added to my assumption. It was an interesting brew, and I'll probably do it again next year. My last ale in the bottle is an ESB, and this is a good one. Very good taste, but nothing fancy, just a nice, crisp ale, medium-light color and well hopped. It will be good on a summer afternoon, but of course it won't last that long! I'm going to New Bern today to check out a home brew shop there and bring a kit home. I'm not sure what I'll decide on, but I'll be brewing it tonight whatever it is. In my other bucket, I've got a German Altbier. This one is definitely a wheat, contains 1lb Northwestern Weizen dry malt extract. That bummed me out a bit, because I didn't expect it to be a wheat. I do like them, but I've already brewed 3 this year. However, the recipe looks and smelled delicious, the grain bag had a third pound British chocolate malt, so it went into the fermenter a lovely dark color. I expect it to be reminscent of the Dunkel Weiss I made earlier this year.