Page 85 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687951351855851085 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

I just finished a pint of Ayinger's Brau Von Aying Oktober Fest-Marzen, which is labeled as an "Authentic Bavarian Festival Lager". In a few words, it was exquisite. I couldn't clearly distinguish all of the flavors (still a bit new at rating) but the nose was floral and sweet with a mild hoppy finish. No where near the hops of a California IPA but there was this subtle 'skunky' hint of aftertaste. It was yummy. I wish I had a few more.

Talking A skunky yummy brew

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I just finished a pint of Ayinger's Brau Von Aying Oktober Fest-Marzen, which is labeled as an "Authentic Bavarian Festival Lager". In a few words, it was exquisite. I couldn't clearly distinguish all of the flavors (still a bit new at rating) but the nose was floral and sweet with a mild hoppy finish. No where near the hops of a California IPA but there was this subtle 'skunky' hint of aftertaste. It was yummy. I wish I had a few more.
    "Skunky" and "Yummy" on the same review?

Need more sleep!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Need more sleep!!
    Perhaps it was supposed to say "funky"? I like a good funk in my beer and would have no problem calling it yummy.

Was it you that has posted in the past about Pizza Port beers? The Lost Abbey beers that I've posted about over the past few weeks are Port Brewing Company beers. I haven't found anything else by Port though.

Need more sleep!!
    Uhm, skunky as in, it kinda reminded me of marijuana.

Post Technically

Skunky refers to:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1018071707.htm

Warning: This is from a study by some tacky blue researchers.

Also, the weed smell that you picked up is discussed in an online article. Simply google Rachael Juzeler and the substance you have mentioned.

I wouldn't use the term "skunky" to refer to it.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Skunky refers to:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1018071707.htm

Warning: This is from a study by some tacky blue researchers.

Also, the weed smell that you picked up is discussed in an online article. Simply google Rachael Juzeler and the substance you have mentioned.

I wouldn't use the term "skunky" to refer to it.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Yeah it was a bad choice of words, I won't use it again. Cool article!

Thumbs up Bison Chocolate Stout

I hope this is in the Portland bracket.

This is NICE... had it with a ccc (apologies to allenmurray).

Yumm.

Dark brown/mahogany color, espresson/cocoa nose and taste. The taste blends these with that of ye ol' standard stout, mild bitterness, accented with cocoa. The aftertaste is perhaps the best of the year. Slight carbonation, followed by mild stout bitterness, punctuated by cocoa.

USDA Organic brew. Wow!

Ymm, Beer:

CHEERS!!
    Lavabe

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I hope this is in the Portland bracket.

This is NICE... had it with a ccc (apologies to allenmurray).

Yumm.

Dark brown/mahogany color, espresson/cocoa nose and taste. The taste blends these with that of ye ol' standard stout, mild bitterness, accented with cocoa. The aftertaste is perhaps the best of the year. Slight carbonation, followed by mild stout bitterness, punctuated by cocoa.

USDA Organic brew. Wow!

Ymm, Beer:

CHEERS!!
    Lavabe
    Had one of those last week, picked it up at Total Wine before GTHC day. Agree with your assesment, very tasty. I loaded up on stout's while I was there (since I just finished brewing one) and that was a standout. A close second was North Coast's Old #38.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Triangle Brewery

Durham area folks should try the beers from the Triangle Brewing company. Check them out at www. trianglebrewery.com. They are mainly in the RTP area right now, but are starting to hit Charlotte and Asheville. They sell almost exclusively on tap to area bars. But their brewery tours are a great way to drink lots of good, free beer. The are located on Pearl Street near downtown Durham. Their brewery is nothing flashy and they only have 2 employees, but they brew some great beers and are starting to get some attention.

RMD reminded us several hundred posts ago that hops and cannabis are related plants and some varieties of hops impart a grassy smell/taste to IPAs and others lend cannabis notes to the brew. Quite an interesting observation on his part.

really slacking here. Have 2 brackets to post and about a 1/2 dozen brews to review from the last week or two. sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    RMD reminded us several hundred posts ago that hops and cannabis are related plants and some varieties of hops impart a grassy smell/taste to IPAs and others lend cannabis notes to the brew. Quite an interesting observation on his part.
    I've always heard that smell in the beer referred to as pungent, as opposed to skunky. Definitely comes through in a lot of American IPAs, IIPAs, and Barleywines.

Hooker

While watching the Bears game last night, I had some Stone IPA and a new beer (for me): Thomas Hooker American Pale Ale. This beer is from Connecticut. It is 5.4% ABV. Relatively dark color for a pale ale. Not nearly as hoppy as Stone, although you notice the hops in the aftertaste. The main taste is a mix of citrus hops with sweet, light toffee grains. The first bottle I had was overcarbonated, but subsequent bottles were fine (but still more carbonated than Stone or DFH). This beer was okay, but I am not sure I would go out of my way to buy it again.

Schlafly #15 Ale-An amber, wheat ale that reminds me of a light version of an Aventinus, which is a German wheat double bock. A bit of fruitiness with raisins. A bit of toffee or dark caramel. A tad sweet, as I might have suspected. A bit cloudy as one would expect from a wheat beer. No ABV on bottle. I'd guess 5-6%. I think I have had this before but had forgotten it. Tasty.

Public service announcement -- looking for a good belgium dubbel style ale at reasonable prices? Head to Trader Joe's! Get a 750mL bottle for $4 - with 9%ABV, you'll get in the holiday spirit quickly!

I tried one out a couple nights ago - started out with it too cold, it got better as it warmed up to just below room temp. Not very hoppy, but on the more bitter side; poured with a quite a head, but not so much as to kill the drinking of it.

I'd buy more, but I discovered...

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I had no luck finding the 120-Minute, but I picked up a 4-pack of the 90-Minute tonight. I'll provide my thoughts and then a comparison with Avery's Maharaja.

First thing I noticed is that this beer leaves a lot of head and it sticks around for a good couple of minutes, which is great. It's a nice orangish-gold color, but doesn't have the redness that IPAs generally have. On the nose there's no mistaking this for anything but an IPA with scents of grapefruit and cannabis, but it is rather muted. The flavor caught me completely off guard. I've never had an IPA taste quite like this. It's got a good amount of sweetness (cloves?) that balances the bitterness (this is a VERY bitter beer) and is quite refreshing. I don't drink a lot of bocks, but this reminds me of that style. Absent is any of what I got on the nose, as well as what I traditionally expect from an IPA--pine and juniper berry. This isn't a bad thing. The points lost on subtlety are made up in how refreshing and intriguing the beer is. Finally, I never would've guessed this beer was 9% ABV. It hides it well.

In terms of comparing it to the Maharaja, although these are the same style (Imperial IPAs) they're not all that similar. The 90-Minute is much more refreshing and hides its ABV better. This makes it a more drinkable beer. Maharaja is BIG and BOLD and PUNGENT and, for one pint, is really my favorite beer. You don't get the sweetness with Avery's offering, but you do get lots of grapefruit, cannabis and pine. If I'm pairing the beer with a spicy dinner (Thai, Mexican, Indian) I'll go with the Maharaja. It'll hold up better and cut through the bold flavors of the meal. If I'm relaxing on the porch, I'd choose the 90-Minute.
    My local grocery store had some Dogfish 90-minute this evening -- I just had to grab a 4-pack! Man, it was yummy. RMD's description is pretty solid, tho I didn't find it too bitter, and in fact was surprised at how smooth it ended - sweet, even. But ymm, the last two bottles may not last the night, even at 9%ABV! (Hey, I'm not driving tonight, nor do I have much planned tomorrow! )

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Michelob has a craft collection sampler pack out now, it's not the greatest but for the money it's worth the buy. They have 2 versions, the 20 and the 12 pack.
    http://www.michelob.com/SamplerPack.aspx
    The 12 pack has one lager (marzen) and 3 ales, red, porter, and pale. Don't bother if your looking for great beer, but if you're having some friends over and want some variety it works well.
    I'm assuming they have their holiday pack out, too, but I haven't seen it yet. They used to put 2 pilsner glasses in each one, with the years date on it. They've skimped on that the last 2 years, at least I haven't seen them with it. If they did make them, I'll have to go ebaying.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 12-13-2008 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Lavabe told me I can't read labels
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Miller has a craft collection sampler pack out now, it's not the greatest but for the money it's worth the buy. They have 2 versions, the 20 and the 12 pack.
    http://www.michelob.com/SamplerPack.aspx
    The 12 pack has one lager (marzen) and 3 ales, red, porter, and pale. Don't bother if your looking for great beer, but if you're having some friends over and want some variety it works well.
    I'm assuming they have their holiday pack out, too, but I haven't seen it yet. They used to put 2 pilsner glasses in each one, with the years date on it. They've skimped on that the last 2 years, at least I haven't seen them with it. If they did make them, I'll have to go ebaying.
    Since when is Michelob a Miller product?

Thanks,
    Lavabe

Since when is Michelob a Miller product?

Thanks,
    Lavabe
    Since it's 4am and I'm 1/2 way through my sampler pack.