Page 83 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485931331835831083 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    A Dark brew.

A very, very, very dark brew.

A very yummy brew if you like hops. If you don't, then don't waste your time.

As for me, I enjoyed mine immensely. Dark, no head, bitter, with a smoothing out malty midtaste, followed by lingering bitters from whatever hops they used. The aftertaste between sips was tingly ... simply nice. ABV has to be around 9.

Did I already say that it's a dark brew?

Ymm, Beer: 1/2.

Not my favorite selection in the time of the year when we move to stouts, but definitely in the upper division of stouts. I'd like some more complexity in the malts to match the wonderful selecxtion of hops. Overall, well done.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    funny, I picked up a bottle of this yesterday and was going to drink it during the game but instead went with my first Avery Beast..a little too sweet and alcohol-y for my liking...I'll probably go with the King Stout tonight..

Back from Fort Collins. My wife and I visited New Belgium on a crowded Saturday afternoon. The only disappointment was that they had no bicycle bells left--I was going to buy a few for Christmas presents. Oh yeah, the beer--you get six samples--my wife only wanted three. She liked Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat, she has always favored wheat beers, but this time Fat Tire was her clear winner. I must say that I enjoyed the Trippel. It was the best of the lot that I sampled. The Abbey was OK, and the others were good, but the Trippel was complex enough to consider begging for more but I could not get the attention of the over worked staff.

Christmas presents took up so much room in our luggage that I came home empty (beer) handed. I hope my son in law takes my hint and brings me some for the holidays. BTW, I think the company he works for is having its Christmas party at the Avery Brewing Company in Boulder, at least I know its a brewery in Boulder and I think its Avery.

Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout-Bluegrass Brewing Company-I guess that this was the fall 2008 offering and my prior review was the winter 07/08 offering. Kinda different brews. This one was too foamy but is disappeared fairly quickly. More bourbon nose/taste to this one. Nearly black with modest hop presence. This tasted a bit like wet cardboard making me think it was spoiled even though the "bottled on notches" on the bottle indicate A-09. Perhaps I simply drank it about 10 months too early.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    This tasted a bit like wet cardboard
    That's awesome. I have some beer boxes on my porch that are still soaked from the last rain, I'm gonna go suck on them for comparison!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's awesome. I have some beer boxes on my porch that are still soaked from the last rain, I'm gonna go suck on them for comparison!
    Let them marinate in some cheap bourbon, too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Brewed, fermenting, bottled

Had a fun evening tonight, brewing an ESB. Out of the kettle, it looked a nice amber color, I hopped it up a bit from the recipe, smelled great. 2 days from now I'm bottling the stout, really looking forward to this one. Won't be fully drinkable for another week after bottling but I know I'll have had a couple before then. Enjoying one of my Belgian Wits now...this brew has matured very nicely. An excellent soft head, long retention, nice flavor for a wheat. I added a touch of lime which I can barely detect. I've had a couple of my Belgian Reds as well, this is good, but needs some maturing. Right now it has some bite that will mellow in the next week. By Christmas it should be a good one to greet Santa with.
    Somehow I managed to save a few IPA's past brunchgate, and I had one of those tonite, too. That beer is just flat out great. The folks who put together the kit did a great job on the recipe, I just followed the instructions. Mmmmmmmmm
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Had a fun evening tonight, brewing an ESB. Out of the kettle, it looked a nice amber color, I hopped it up a bit from the recipe, smelled great. 2 days from now I'm bottling the stout, really looking forward to this one. Won't be fully drinkable for another week after bottling but I know I'll have had a couple before then. Enjoying one of my Belgian Wits now...this brew has matured very nicely. An excellent soft head, long retention, nice flavor for a wheat. I added a touch of lime which I can barely detect. I've had a couple of my Belgian Reds as well, this is good, but needs some maturing. Right now it has some bite that will mellow in the next week. By Christmas it should be a good one to greet Santa with.
    Somehow I managed to save a few IPA's past brunchgate, and I had one of those tonite, too. That beer is just flat out great. The folks who put together the kit did a great job on the recipe, I just followed the instructions. Mmmmmmmmm
    He's right folks. He did a fine job with his IPA.

CB&B Brewing Conglomerate IPA-Brewed in a bathtub (not really) in Morehead City, this hoppy IPA is a genuine representative of the class. Moderate hop bitterness but not a palate-buster like Hop Devil. Some floral notes but not as "soft" as Bridgeport IPA. A nice, smooth balance. ABV about 6-7%. I think I have 1 or 2 more of these and will review again in 30 and 60 days as the home brews tend to mature a bit during that time. Thanks for sharing/trading.

Well, I haven't had the Alaska Smoked Porter yet, but I've been creeping towards 1000 and there's a post in the EK forum that I have to respond to.

I did however, split a bottle of Yeti Imperial Stout last (Great Divide), and compared it to the earlier tasted Oak Aged Yeti. First of all, this beer has really bright hop scent. It's not bitter in the chocolately sense like many stouts, and instead is really citrusy. Just smelling it, I wouldn't peg it as a stout. The flavor is pretty straight forward. Lots of sweet, roasted malts with notes of chocolate and coffee. It also has an initial flavor of cherries and dates. Absent the oak is lacks the richness of the Oak Aged version, and that was missed. Nonetheless, solid beer.

Lost Abbey-Gift of the Magi

Lost Abbey has a huge selection of beers that dominate two rows in the liquor store cooler and yet, until tonight, I had never tried one of them. Gift of the Magi is their Christmas seasonal and a twist on their Lost and Found Ale. It's a Belgian Wild/Farmhouse Ale which I'm surprised to see as a winter seasonal (I think of them as spring/summer beers). On the nose there is lots of lemon and grassy, barnyard funk. The flavor is really funky and wonderful, if you like wild ales. The twist on the style comes from some spicing that I can't quite figure out, but I like. It's a much sweeter wild than Avery's Fifteen. I'll have to buy a couple of these and store them so I can compare it with Fifteen in a few months.

As an aside, this is a style I wish we'd see more of. Not many breweries are willing to try it and that's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    As an aside, this is a style I wish we'd see more of. Not many breweries are willing to try it and that's a shame.
    Meaning wild ales? I'm assuming that means wild yeasts, and I've not heard of any in production, but it doesn't surprise me. I'd be excited to try one, so I'm on a mission now. Funny thing about wild yeasts is basically until maybe 100 years ago when we got a grasp on microbiotics, we didn't even know what yeasts' role in brewing was. The brewers only cared about the grain, water and maybe the hops if they had them, and somehow magically that stew turned into beer. Yay for flies. Now that brewers know whats up, they go to all lengths to keep the beastie yeasties out, understandably.

Meaning wild ales? I'm assuming that means wild yeasts, and I've not heard of any in production, but it doesn't surprise me. I'd be excited to try one, so I'm on a mission now. Funny thing about wild yeasts is basically until maybe 100 years ago when we got a grasp on microbiotics, we didn't even know what yeasts' role in brewing was. The brewers only cared about the grain, water and maybe the hops if they had them, and somehow magically that stew turned into beer. Yay for flies. Now that brewers know whats up, they go to all lengths to keep the beastie yeasties out, understandably.
    Some of the Belgian ales, IIRC, use wild strains of yeasts. I think the Rodenbach trappist ales in particular. These are sour and wild/funky tasting. I'd bet some of the true farmhouse ales do also. I'd also bet the US brewers are hesitant to do this.

It does refer to beers made with wild yeast. Other than The Lost Abbey, the only others I can recall having are Fifteen and Eric's Ale by New Belgium.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/171

Here's a list of some. It looks like Russian River is very into making them.

BTW, today is the 75th Anniversary of the 21st Amendment. So, be sure to drink a good beer and, perhaps, open a special bottle to celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    BTW, today is the 75th Anniversary of the 21st Amendment. So, be sure to drink a good beer and, perhaps, open a special bottle to celebrate.
    Working tonight. No adult beverages. Congrats on #1000 yesterday. Or was it Wednesday? I've had some real long hours on the job the last several days.

I was going to say...early or late for a beer? Or is it always the right time for a beer?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I was going to say...early or late for a beer? Or is it always the right time for a beer?
    I've enjoyed 2-3 at most of the Brunchgates this year but usually not until after some food and not until about 11 AM. When we had early Brunchgates before a noon game, a mimosa from the mimosa wench (yes, I'm talking to you DukePA) was in order. Yummy with a biscuit or two and some fruit.

Had beer for breakfast once at Duke after an especially rough semester and then headed home for the Christmas holidays with quite a breakfast buzz.

Generally, no AM beers and the afternoon brews have almost always been associated with tailgates. Makes me REAL tired the rest of the day.

I've enjoyed 2-3 at most of the Brunchgates this year but usually not until after some food and not until about 11 AM. When we had early Brunchgates before a noon game, a mimosa from the mimosa wench (yes, I'm talking to you DukePA) was in order. Yummy with a biscuit or two and some fruit.

Had beer for breakfast once at Duke after an especially rough semester and then headed home for the Christmas holidays with quite a breakfast buzz.

Generally, no AM beers and the afternoon brews have almost always been associated with tailgates. Makes me REAL tired the rest of the day.
    Wishin' I had some champagne to go with my OJ this morning. Hmmm, might be an excellent cold remedy
    Last edited by DukePA; 12-06-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: my cold has turned me into a typing, techno klutz

Working tonight. No adult beverages. Congrats on #1000 yesterday. Or was it Wednesday? I've had some real long hours on the job the last several days.
    Work's overrated

So I finally had the Alaskan Smoked Porter last night (2008 vintage). While this may be sacrilege to some on here, I drank a glass and poured the rest out, opting to not cork the bottle. The smoke flavor is wonderful, and this would be a great beer to drink with a plate of smoked cheeses and meats. Even more so, it almost tasted like smoked salmon, right down to the fishiness, and would be great with that dish. But, that's the only enjoyment I can imagine coming from it. It lacked any sort of complexity beyond the smoke (I could find some dark fruit notes on the nose, but I had to try hard) and I likely won't be buying another bottle. It apparently ages well, but my fridge is pretty well stocked with bottles of The Beast, PSM, Raison D'Extra, and Old Jubilation, and I wouldn't drink one of those to make room for the Smoked Porter.

Another beer that I picked up this week and will try to taste and post on is Ten Fidy Imperial Stout by Oskar Blues. Given my recent tastings of The Czar and Yeti (oak aged and not), it will be interesting to see how a canned beer stacks up. Need the temperature to drop a bit before I crack one open.

We stopped at an Italian place on the way home from Ann Arbor yesterday. They had Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter on tap. It helped sooth the loss a great bit. A great looking beer with a nice malt and hint of chocolate with a bit of caramel flavor. I t had been a long time since I had enjoyed one, but I will buy a sixer tomorrow.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    We stopped at an Italian place on the way home from Ann Arbor yesterday. They had Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter on tap. It helped sooth the loss a great bit. A great looking beer with a nice malt and hint of chocolate with a bit of caramel flavor. I t had been a long time since I had enjoyed one, but I will buy a sixer tomorrow.
    I wonder what the difference will be like between draught and bottle. Please give us a follow-up report. EFP is available here in bottle, but draught must be something good.

Cheers,
    Lavabe