Page 786 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 28668673677678478578678778879683688612861786 ... LastLast
Results 15,701 to 15,720 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    High Country-Blowing Rock Brewing Company

Drink local! Trader beer, a 12 ounce can, with our older son-in-law.

It's an American pale ale and the pour was light bronze with a one finger head. Subtle aromas of citrus and pine with very mild tastes of the same with a bit of light brown sugar sweetness. Pretty mild/average overall. IBUs at 29 but really tasted less bitter than the "juicy hopped blonde ale" from last PM, even with Cascade and Centennial hops in this brew. I'd enjoy this with some mild grilled fare whether it was burgers, sausages, chicken or seafood. Worth a can/draft if you're in western NC but not worth a 6er.
    Awfully polite. Every time I give Blowing Rock a “second chance”, I keep wondering how they are still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Awfully polite. Every time I give Blowing Rock a “second chance”, I keep wondering how they are still in business.
    LOL. What can I say? I'm a (semi-) nice guy on occasion. Must be the mountain water . I think it's better than my 2011 and 2013 reviews from when it was brewed in Wilkes-Barre. I'll try and find those later today.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Don't know if it's been reviewed earlier - Allagash Curieux. Part of a flight, tripel ale aged in bourbon barrels for 7 weeks. Can tell the difference between this and a Hardywood bourbon barrel cru aged for months. Lighter, just a hint of the bourbon on finish. A little vanilla, smooth golden ale. Good enough to go from the flight to the full pour. 11%. Have seen it at total wine but too pricey at about $18. Hardywood is better and a only about $12.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Don't know if it's been reviewed earlier - Allagash Curieux. Part of a flight, tripel ale aged in bourbon barrels for 7 weeks. Can tell the difference between this and a Hardywood bourbon barrel cru aged for months. Lighter, just a hint of the bourbon on finish. A little vanilla, smooth golden ale. Good enough to go from the flight to the full pour. 11%. Have seen it at total wine but too pricey at about $18. Hardywood is better and a only about $12.
    Hmm, August West has a 2016 bottle and I have a 2015 bottle, IIRC, so we'll have to bring them to the UVA tailgate for (y)our enjoyment. I agree on the pricing though our younger daughter and her husband bought me a 750 ml when we visited last summer for $10 (no typo) but we never got around to sipping it, figuring they'd bring it during their October visit. Wrong! When our son visited them in August, they drank my Father's Day/birthday gift. (weeps softly)

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    FWIW: I picked up a pair of bombers, maybe 10 days ago, of the BBA Curieux at our local Harris Teeter. Currently sitting in the "storage facility" (a/k/a basement closet). I don't recall it being as high as $18, though.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    FWIW: I picked up a pair of bombers, maybe 10 days ago, of the BBA Curieux at our local Harris Teeter. Currently sitting in the "storage facility" (a/k/a basement closet). I don't recall it being as high as $18, though.
    You got a good price then as I usually note the price around $18, too. At $12, the Hardywood product is a very good deal/price.

finally found some great beer in Budapest, literally inside of the same building as my Airbnb...huge craft beer garden.

I'll report back later.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    finally found some great beer in Budapest, literally inside of the same building as my Airbnb...huge craft beer garden.

I'll report back later.
    Oh, I'm interested in this. Will be in Budapest in September.

Granite Falls Boysenberry Falls

I have liked and reviewed Granite Falls' blueberry and sweet cherry offerings, so I was pleased to pick up a quad-pack of 16-ounce cans of their Boysenberry Falls sour ale. The color is similar to the blueberry (kind of a brown-tinged pinkish color), and has a nice subtlety to the fruit. Not overpowering at all, and a nice sourness to it. They say this is a seasonal beer, offered in the autumn, but I thought it went just fine with a warm May afternoon. 5.5% ABV, so very quaffable in our current temperatures.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Been downing this when its on tap at a local bar around here but Sugar Creek Belgian Dubbel by Sugar Creek Brewing Company is great!

8.2% ABV and 22 IBU
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

LMAO. That borders on insanity. (Now that you know the system, you're welcome to try .)

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Been downing this when its on tap at a local bar around here but Sugar Creek Belgian Dubbel by Sugar Creek Brewing Company is great!

8.2% ABV and 22 IBU
    I'm guessing that's a NC brewery. I've never seen/heard of Sugar Creek before but fuse posted a couple weeks ago that there are now 267ish NC breweries so there are bound to be a few (dozen) that are unfamiliar to me .

Will it pair well with the pie you're gonna win from JasonEvans?

At Three Notch'd Brewery in Scott's Addition with another flight. Most interesting is their Conch Caribbean Wit, a collaboration with a local restaurant called Conch Republic. 4.7 abv, light, almost a summer shandy, but with a coconut finish. Nice light summer beer, might order a crowler sometime this summer.

I'm guessing that's a NC brewery. I've never seen/heard of Sugar Creek before but fuse posted a couple weeks ago that there are now 267ish NC breweries so there are bound to be a few (dozen) that are unfamiliar to me .

Will it pair well with the pie you're gonna win from JasonEvans?
    I think I'll have one either way for different reasons.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Outta This Galaxy-Trophy Brewing Company

Printed on the label of this 16 ounce can:

"Pushing the boundaries of what is expected of beer."

"Pioneering new styles of beer with exciting ingredients & innovative processes."

No indication of style on the label. Name of beer in small block letters just above 8.1% ABV and 04/12/18, so, fresh beer! Bought as a 4 pack for $16 last month at the original Trophy location.

More local!

The first hints are the ABV and the name, thinking it's some variation of IPA with a single hop. Check.

Pop the top and decant. Whoa, this is hazy! Real hazy. Pretty foamy, too. Did I just pour 16 ounces of pineapple juice into my glass? Not quite but it sure looks and smells like it. Wait, it tastes like Dole pineapple-grapefruit-orange juice. Or maybe liquid Juicy Fruit gum. Minimal bitterness perceived but listed at 70 IBUs on Untapped (and 8.4% ABV)! I'd have never guessed that high. There's a bit of zest/rind. This beer would be happy with a fruit plate or some sweet and sour shrimp/pork/chicken.

Conclusion: This is a really, really good imperial New England IPA and I'd buy this again as a single, draft or 4 pack.

From the original release on 6/10/17:

"We are excited to celebrate the kick off of a brand series of canned beers coming from our pilot system. The Scout Series represents our constant exploration of new styles, flavors, ingredients and brewing processes to push what can be expected from beer.

Our first release in the series is a brewery favorite "Outta this Galaxy". This DIPA is an expression of our love of hops. Brewed with Maris Otter, oats and wheat, to support the tropical character of passionfruit, clean citrus kick of grapefruit brought to you by 100% Galaxy hops.

This is the first of many beers we will be releasing periodically as we continue to search for, and research new beer styles to share with you.

This Saturday at 12pm, we will be releasing 4 packs of 16oz cans for $14.99. Supply is limited so we are setting a max of 3-4packs per customers. We will also have Outta This Galaxy on draft in the taproom!"

Nothing new tonight but a reminder that Nugget Nectar is an excellent beer .

LOL. What can I say? I'm a (semi-) nice guy on occasion. Must be the mountain water . I think it's better than my 2011 and 2013 reviews from when it was brewed in Wilkes-Barre. I'll try and find those later today.
    From 8/21/13:

"Blowing Rock Summer Ale-Boone Brewing Company

Don't let the name or the picture of a large rock in the mountains fool you, this beer ain't brewed in the NC mountains. It's brewed in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. It's a decent Belgian style witbier style with a yellow and cloudy pour. The side of the label says it's brewed with sweet orange peel, curacao bitter orange peel and coriander and the front of the label says coriander and orange peel only. The cloudiness comes from the wheat malt which lends to the citrus nose and taste but also leaves a certain "chunkiness" or better, "junkiness" to the bottom of the glass. Not very tasty or appealing. I got to admit that I didn't pay that close of attention as I should have while pouring but it still shouldn't have this much sediment. I'd guess an IBU rating about 20 as it's a wheat ale basically with a low ABV, probably <5%. This was a leftover 12 ouncer from an office meeting Monday night and shared it with my daughter so I 'm quite happy I didn't have to choke down the whole bottle myself or I'd have likely poured out the last few ounces. Not bad enough to find the Yechh, Beer thread but certainly wouldn't buy again."

From 10/1/11:

"Blowing Rock Ale-Boone Brewing Company

What a misnomer! Not only is it not from the High Country or Blowing Rock as the label states, it is not even from Boone as it is brewed in Wilkes-Barre, PA. It is however an average American pale ale with modest amounts of herbal hops and caramel and pale malts yielding an estimated IBU of 30-40 and and ABV of 5-6%. Adequate for a cook-out with chicken or burgers off the grill and the usual accompaniments. Buy a single or trade for 1 so you can say you had a beer from eastern Pennsylvania masquerading as a local NC brew."

I guess I should know better.

Speaking of rare beers you have to jump through hoops to get your hands on; after checking the Dark Lord Day website every morning for the last month or so, they FINALLY released the list of Dark Lord variants for this weekend's festivities.

Included in the price of admission is 4 bottles of 2018 Dark Lord and 1 of the 11 rare variants at random. I'm not sure which one I'm hoping for, so I figured I'd engage the group and see which of these sounds the tastiest...

MARSHMALLOW HANDJEE
    Bourbon barrel-aged Dark Lord with vanilla beans

CHEMTRAILMIX
    Dark Lord aged in rye barrels with cinnamon + pink peppercorns

FRENCH VANILLA MILITIA
    Dark Lord aged in Sauternes barrels with vanilla, cocoa nibs + coffee

SPACEFORCE!
    Dark Lord aged in Pineau Des Charentes barrels with vanilla, cocoa nibs + coffee

LOUNGE AGAINST THE MACROMACHINE
    Tequila barrel with Mekong cinnamon, cocoa nibs, guajillo peppers + tangerine peel

GREATEST TEACHABLE MOMENTS
    American brandy barrel with verbena, ginger + orange peel

HUNG DRAWN N QUARTERED
    Rye barrel-aged Dark Lord

CAVALEIRO OF VARNOV
    Oloroso sherry aged Dark Lord

BROZERKER
    Ruby port aged Dark Lord

BROTILLA
    Carcavelos aged Dark Lord

TURTLEDOGG
    Scotch barrel-aged Dark Lord