Page 771 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 27167172176176977077177277378182187112711771 ... LastLast
Results 15,401 to 15,420 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’m not actively looking for a link.

How do folks feel about “GMO” yeast, as a vehicle to eliminate the need for hops?

Apparently Lagunitas and maybe others are starting to experiment with yeast and expert tasters could not tell the difference between a hopped beer and beer made with “hoppy flavour producing” yeast.

The driver behind the approach is apparently both the competition for available hops (hop shortage/can’t keep up with demand) as well as the fact that hops are apparently biodynamically a bad crop (lots of water for little yield).

I’m not a fan of GMO anything (in a Monsanto/Roundup/corn context).
    I’m struggling with the idea of bad GMO (Monsanto) compared to good GMO (evolution?). Where do we draw the (ethical) line?
    Hadn't heard of this approach. Certainly an interesting concept but not one I'd be likely to favor/support with my beer $$ as we try to avoid GMO products, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hadn't heard of this approach. Certainly an interesting concept but not one I'd be likely to favor/support with my beer $$ as we try to avoid GMO products, too.
    I’m trying to wrap my brain around developing yeast strains as a concept similar to dog breeding, as opposed to a Frankenstein Monster approach of “let me insert this sequence here” and see how that changes things.

I’m not clear of if either description is accurate for the yeast process. If people who brew beer for a living can’t tell the difference, only labelling and regulation would give you any idea of what is in your beer.

I’m trying to wrap my brain around developing yeast strains as a concept similar to dog breeding, as opposed to a Frankenstein Monster approach of “let me insert this sequence here” and see how that changes things.

I’m not clear of if either description is accurate for the yeast process. If people who brew beer for a living can’t tell the difference, only labelling and regulation would give you any idea of what is in your beer.
    I toured the Guinness brewery at St. James Gate a few years ago. They have used the same strand of yeast for some crazy period of time (80-120 years IIRC). Every day they put part in the safe, and use the rest to brew and propagate.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I toured the Guinness brewery at St. James Gate a few years ago. They have used the same strand of yeast for some crazy period of time (80-120 years IIRC). Every day they put part in the safe, and use the rest to brew and propagate.
    Impressive but Dogfish Head has raided tombs and/or sunken vessels that are thousands of years old trying to figure out what/how the ancients brewed and with what ingredients so they can strive to replicate old recipes with who know what additives .

Always nice to get an international flavor/insight/posts on Ymm, Beer, especially when it's OPK posting and edjumacating us from overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I toured the Guinness brewery ... [t]hey have used the same strand of yeast for some crazy period of time (80-120 years IIRC) ...
    Might be due to #2, or maybe #6 ...

http://www.dailyedge.ie/german-touri...70202-Mar2014/

A little Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose as a post game treat.

Really a fun, fun beer.

Salty, sweet, tart, and light.

Moving on to a 2017 SN Celebration to help celebrate international beer day.
    You might have been a few months early:

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/i...onal-beer-day/

Upon further review:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/natio...170344208.html

You will receive partial credit.

Juicy Haze IPA-New Belgium Brewing Company

For mattman! I think this is the one I suggested a few pages ago.

More local as it's NC Beer Month.

I bought a 12 ounce $2 single bottle tonight along with 5 other NC beers. This was a cloudy, orange-yellow pour with a moderate, foamy head. Aromas of tropical and citrus fruits. Tastes include grapefruit, pineapple, orange, lemon, lime and mango with come light caramel sweetness and a very mildly bitter finish. IBUs at 42 and ABV at 7.5% so it meets "criteria" for a NE IPA but is not labeled as such. I'd pair with any sweet and sour dish. Here's their ingredient list:

YEAST: American Hefeweizen

HOPS: Citra, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Nugget

MALTS: Pale, Wh*at (trying to post gluten-free), C-80, Oats

Couple surprises there with the hefe yeast (probably giving some orange notes) and the oats (smoother mouthfeel). Don't care for the Cascade hops but Citra, Simcoe and Nuggets are really fruity types.

Worth a single to try/compare. Happy I don't have 5 left.

From our discussion 10/27/16:

I agree with this to a point.
    This may be the corollary to the pool "two beer" rule.

At least for me, there is a sweet spot for beer consumption and pool (or golf) skill. It is a bit of a tight rope- go past the tipping point and it all goes south.
    Haven't played golf in almost 15 years but my corollary would be ballroom dancing now. One ale increases fluidity (word choice intentional ) and gracefulness by decreasing anxiety/tension/worry. More than that and I have trouble differentiating a tango from a foxtrot .
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    What if instead of an ale you have a Whiskey. How would your Tango and Foxtrot differentiation skills be at that point?
    I see what you did there. Nicely played and would really like to give you sporks for your cleverness, but, alas, I sporked you too recently to accomplish that . And, just to keep some relevance, there really is an ale called Mango, Tango, Foxtrot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Covered you on the sporting. And it's delicious. Believe I reviewed it at some point.
    From my pint glass last PM:

Mango Tango Foxtrot-Deep River Brewing Company

Pint can to celebrate freedom from call for a few days and NC Beer Month.

Pour was a cloudy, orange-yellow with a moderate, foam head. Yep, it smells like mangoes and other tropical fruits and tastes like a tropical juice blend, including mangos (they claim none harmed while brewing the beer), papaya, guava some pineapple and maybe a splash of tangerine. Australian hops mentioned but not named on their website. The finish was a tad bitter and disappointing. No IBUs charted on website but the IBU-ometer on the 16 ounce can had its needle just under 75. Website claims ABV of 5.7% but the ABV gauge on the can had its indicator closer to 7%. Would pair well with sweet and sour dishes. No tangos or foxtrots were performed after consumption of the above half quart of this IPA.

I bought a 12 ounce $2 single bottle tonight along with 5 other NC beers. This was a cloudy, orange-yellow pour with a moderate, foamy head. Aromas of tropical and citrus fruits. Tastes include grapefruit, pineapple, orange, lemon, lime and mango with come light caramel sweetness and a very mildly bitter finish. IBUs at 42 and ABV at 7.5% so it meets "criteria" for a NE IPA but is not labeled as such. I'd pair with any sweet and sour dish. Here's their ingredient list:

Couple surprises there with the hefe yeast (probably giving some orange notes) and the oats (smoother mouthfeel). Don't care for the Cascade hops but Citra, Simcoe and Nuggets are really fruity types.

So interesting. I bought a six pack and am thinking about buying more.

Funny...

I bought a pack last weekend and have enjoyed 3 of them already. I meant to post here but forgot.

I read about the hefe yeast beforehand and noticed the aroma. If I hadn't read it, I honestly probably wouldn't have noticed.

So interesting. I bought a six pack and am thinking about buying more.
    That is indeed interesting. I've consumed pretty much all my "session" beers since Christmas except for the recent small New Glarus delivery and got 4 different stovepipe cans for my April beer club allotment, bought 8 singles from my office bracket pool winnings and shared with family last week and bought another 6 singles last PM to "celebrate" NC Beer Month over the next several days. I've almost always bought 4 packs and 6ers to enjoy by sipping, sharing or trading and have moved away from that the last month or so, not wanting to accumulate lots of leftovers as I did for years.

So, my comment was really more a shift in buying and not disparaging the Voodoo Ranger beer but I could see how it might be interpreted that way.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time-Catawba Brewing Company

It's still NC Beer Month!

Couldn't resist a $3 pint can of this last PM after hearing/reading about it.

Poured into a pint glass, sipping a bit off the top. Appearance was a cloudy, pink-brown (WTH?) with a small, tan head. This stuff smells like freaking peanut butter! No fooling. Damn, it tastes like roasted peanut butter, too. The finish is mildly fruity and jelly-like. IBUs of 10 and the ABV is 5.7%. I guess you could pair with a PB&J . Interesting and fun novelty beer and a pint is plenty but would have again and share a can or draft with someone. Mattman approves this review .

Excuse me, but I need a toothpick as I think I got some peanut shell in my teeth .

Peanut Butter Jelly Time-Catawba Brewing Company

It's still NC Beer Month!

Couldn't resist a $3 pint can of this last PM after hearing/reading about it.

Poured into a pint glass, sipping a bit off the top. Appearance was a cloudy, pink-brown (WTH?) with a small, tan head. This stuff smells like freaking peanut butter! No fooling. Damn, it tastes like roasted peanut butter, too. The finish is mildly fruity and jelly-like. IBUs of 10 and the ABV is 5.7%. I guess you could pair with a PB&J . Interesting and fun novelty beer and a pint is plenty but would have again and share a can or draft with someone. Mattman approves this review .

Excuse me, but I need a toothpick as I think I got some peanut shell in my teeth .

Apologies in advance:

A few of the notable beers since my last update:

Saber Tooth Tiger - Rhinegeist - Imperial IPA. This is one of Rhinegesit's limited release beers. I was fortunate that the liquor store down the corner had a 4-pack. Smooth and delightful. Recommend trying it if you get the chance.

The Train I ride - Clown Shoes - Triple IPA. First Clown Shoes beer that I've ever had.Felt higher than 58 IBU, but not overly so.

Weihenstephaner Vitus - Believe this might actually be heaven in beer form.

471 Small Batch IPA - Breckenridge Brewery. I've only had a couple of beers by Breckenridge, but this one is my favorite so far.

I saw that 3 Floyd's is bottling Drunk Monk, which I absolutely love. Unfortunately I think it's only available on site. Not sure I want to make the 3 hour trek for it

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    A few of the notable beers since my last update:

Saber Tooth Tiger - Rhinegeist - Imperial IPA. This is one of Rhinegesit's limited release beers. I was fortunate that the liquor store down the corner had a 4-pack. Smooth and delightful. Recommend trying it if you get the chance.

The Train I ride - Clown Shoes - Triple IPA. First Clown Shoes beer that I've ever had.Felt higher than 58 IBU, but not overly so.

Weihenstephaner Vitus - Believe this might actually be heaven in beer form.

471 Small Batch IPA - Breckenridge Brewery. I've only had a couple of beers by Breckenridge, but this one is my favorite so far.

I saw that 3 Floyd's is bottling Drunk Monk, which I absolutely love. Unfortunately I think it's only available on site. Not sure I want to make the 3 hour trek for it
    Hmm, heading to the Ohio and Indiana Columbuses (Columbi?) two weeks from Friday. I'll be on the lookout for Saber Tooth and Drunk Monk. I might be able to find the others in/around the home base. Thanks for the update.

C.R.E.A.M.-Appalachian Mountain Brewery

Cappuccino
    Rules
    Everything
    Around
    Me

Drink NC!

Pint can bought Monday evening on the suggestion of younger daughter and her husband who took a mixed 6er with a can of this in it to some friends' house while visiting NC last week. Designated on the can as a milk stout brewed with chocolate, local doughnuts and coffee from Lion Coffee and Doughnuts according to website. Pour was almost black, guessing easily over 40 SRM, with a small mocha head. Moderate coffee nose with plenty of dark chocolate aromas, too. Almost fudge-y tastes with more java and some dark caramel on the palate. Not sure I "get" the doughnuts but I guess I could imagine this as a chocolate cake doughnut/cappuccino milk shake. Pretty smooth mouthfeel. IBUs stated at 23 and the ABV was 5.2%. Nice price at $3.50 for the 16 ounces and would certainly buy again.

Looks like the MillerCoors Stone Brewing lawsuit over Keystone can branding becoming “Stones” is heating up.

MillerCoors launching a countersuit, with some interesting evidence of Keystone being referred to as ‘stones as early as 1995, with Stone filing for its trademark in 1996.

Apparently there was a prior suit that was dropped.

Our American entreprenurial and business systems are hopeless.

Looks like the MillerCoors Stone Brewing lawsuit over Keystone can branding becoming “Stones” is heating up.

MillerCoors launching a countersuit, with some interesting evidence of Keystone being referred to as ‘stones as early as 1995, with Stone filing for its trademark in 1996.

Apparently there was a prior suit that was dropped.

Our American entreprenurial and business systems are hopeless.
    They need to contact these folks:

https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/c...litigation-ale

But, then again, maybe not:

https://www.brewbound.com/news/avery...hou-san-miguel

"Colorado’s Avery Brewing today announced the sale of a 30 percent stake to Mahou San Miguel, a Spanish brewing company founded in Madrid in 1890.

Specific terms of the deal, which is expected to close in January 2018, were not disclosed."