Page 75 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677851251755751075 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Avery-Old Jubilation

First snow of the year early this morning (November 14? Maybe Al Gore is on to something) and it's going to be in the teens tonight so I figured I give Avery's Old Jubilation a try. First and foremost--because I love labels--this beer has a fantastic label for a winter ale (painting of a 19th Century mansion at Christmas time with a horse drawn sled pulling up for a party). As for the beer, it isn't spice at all, which is nice break from most winter ales. It's very sweet on the nose with notes of chocolate and hazelnut (never would've picked that out but for the brewer's own description). The flavor is all sweet chocolate and toffee malts. Most importantly, at 8% ABV, it warms very well. A solid winter ale that, because of its lack of spice, is different.

Talking New Belgium: Trippel

Oh wow! The New Belgium folks made my fall evening with this one. I'd definitely make this a 2nd or 3rd seed in the Denver bracket of the field of 64/65.

Poured a beautiful gold with nice white head. Hoppy floral nose. The taste is hoppy, but blended nicely. It's not an IBU contest with this brew; it's actually a simple hoppy bite that allows for a rich taste. 7.8% ABV without much effect on the blend and taste. The triple fermentation works well; this brew has a well-balance carbonation level that helps keep the hop taste crisp and fresh. The New Belgium folks have managed to produce as good an American-bottled Belgian Style Ale as I've had this year.

Ymm, Beer: 1/2

Extending the discussion from a comment made by rockymtn devil, I am getting tired of the spice-laden holiday brews that are coming out now. If you want to get away from those, this brew will clear the palate. It's also a much better way to break from the barleywine/stout/porter/spice ale styles without having to go summer wheat at the wrong time of year.

Believe it or not, I tried this brew while having some spicy red pepper laden pizza. This went together VERY well. The light hoppy flavor complemented the spice just right.

Will love to see devildeac's review of this.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ommegang Abbey Ale

Another Devildeac trade, it's billed as a "Belgian style Abbey dubbel, yeilding a rich, fruity, aromatic, burgundian brew". After a few tastings, it's hard to find any fault with the label, a pretty accurate description. It's a good one for a slow sipping during dinner or just lounging around, it invites laziness. Slightly tangy, the alcohol stands out pretty strong. No ABV on the bottle, but I'd be suprised if it was under 9%. Reminiscent of a burgundy wine...once again the label does not lie. A good brew, and a recommendation.
    One of my recurring favorites. Glad you liked it. Had one last night and what I really like, in addition to the above, is that it reminds me quite a bit of Corsendonk Pater (abbey or brown/brune). At about 1/2 the price. Reminds me of dark, dried fruits, especially figs, dates and raisins. The ABV is 8.5% and is in a very small circle near the bottom of the front label. Their 1st beer, I think, and probably their best.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Congrats on reaching this exalted status!
    Thanks. Could not have accomplished it without our faithful leaders... and the remainder of the pub patrons, too.

Winterbraun ale, Lost Coast Brewery

Wasn't sure what to expect of this one, it was in the bargain bin at my local specialty shop. (They call that bin the "Get out of here beer")
    If I had known about it earlier, I would have gotten a 6, very tasty. I like beer labels that lay it on the line for you, so here's this one's.

"Brewed with American pale malt and a mixture of caramel and chocolate malts, with Saaz hops added to give a unique spicy flavor and aroma".

The chocolate stands out well, the hops are strong for a dark ale. The initial taste compares to a stout, it finishes with hoppiness of a pale ale. The roasted malts complement the hops well, I'm thinking of adding some more aroma hops to my next dark brew to capture some of this quality. Too bad I grabbed the last 2, I'd go back for more to get a couple extras as BG trades.
    Yea, when you find a "Winterbraun" beer in November before most winter ale s are released, you have to be thinking last year's beers. Glad you liked it. I may look for it this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Congratulations... will be anxious to see some of the reviews on the banker box collection!
    From your assortment, to my lips to the "ymm, beer" thread.

Starting my next brew in a few minutes..Belgian Red Ale

Interesting ingredients, only 6 lbs of NW gold syrub, no dry extract. The other fermentable sugar is a pound of Dark Candi Sugar. I opened the kit and thought the guy sent me a bag of rocks.
    1lb Belgian blend of grains, 1 oz Northern hops, 1 oz Hallertau, liquid Trappist Ale yeast. Looking forward to seeing how the candi sugar works out, well see in a few weeks. Should be right on schedule to bottle the night before the last brunchgate.
    The use of Belgian sugars or candy sugars adds an interesting flavor to these brews. I'm looking forward to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I split a bottle of this with my dad a few weeks ago (it was a pre-dinner beer so, as you can imagine, it ended up being a late night beer after we moved on to bourbon and Golden Tee). My favorite of the Avery Holy Trinity by a long shot. Congrats on 4000! 1000 is creeping on me so I guess I need to find a special beer to review as that post
    Thanks. Looks like you have about 45 posts to go AND beers to sample before you have to make that decision. I'll wager you'll find a real standout during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Oh wow! The New Belgium folks made my fall evening with this one. I'd definitely make this a 2nd or 3rd seed in the Denver bracket of the field of 64/65.

Poured a beautiful gold with nice white head. Hoppy floral nose. The taste is hoppy, but blended nicely. It's not an IBU contest with this brew; it's actually a simple hoppy bite that allows for a rich taste. 7.8% ABV without much effect on the blend and taste. The triple fermentation works well; this brew has a well-balance carbonation level that helps keep the hop taste crisp and fresh. The New Belgium folks have managed to produce as good an American-bottled Belgian Style Ale as I've had this year.

Ymm, Beer: 1/2

Extending the discussion from a comment made by rockymtn devil, I am getting tired of the spice-laden holiday brews that are coming out now. If you want to get away from those, this brew will clear the palate. It's also a much better way to break from the barleywine/stout/porter/spice ale styles without having to go summer wheat at the wrong time of year.

Believe it or not, I tried this brew while having some spicy red pepper laden pizza. This went together VERY well. The light hoppy flavor complemented the spice just right.

Will love to see devildeac's review of this.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    There will actually be 2 reviews as I have the one from the banker's box and one I cellared from last year.

That's enough here. For now. Time to catch up with some other threads.

Our Special Ale-Anchor's 34th annual Christmas brew. A leftover from BG4 from dpslaw. Thanks for sharing! Their usual porter brew but with yet another "secret" ingredient and I don't have a clue what is it. A rich, brown, heady pour with milk chocolate-y tastes and perhaps spruce or pine notes/flavorings. A wonderful beverage by the fire with a gingerbread square or cookie. Probably about 5-6% ABV meaning you can enjoy another dessert and the fire, too, with a small pour of a barleywine or imperial stout for a nightcap.

Hmm, given the # of posts it looks like you've caught up on all the other threads.

Smile Red Legg Ale

From the Barrel House Brewery in Cincy... on draught here in the land of basketball loss to VMI.

American Amber Ale, poured a red-amber, no head. Aroma much like that of its neighbor on the draught, the Bourbon barrel ale from Alltech. Seriously, the nose was so strong that I thought they had given me the wrong selection. Mild hoppiness initially, followed by smooth malty taste. ABV has to be around 5%. After the first few sips, the aroma left, and it was back to pleasant American Amber.

Ymm, Beer:

I had this with some oily onion rings, and a little 'cue. The cue was a good match for this brew.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hmm, given the # of posts it looks like you've caught up on all the other threads.
    I indeed looked at threads on 2 pages of the OTB and EK forum this AM and this afternoon and narrowed the gap a bit.

Hell's Belle-Big Boss Brewing Companyright here in Raleigh-wood, NC. A trader with one of DukePA's friends at BG4, and a good one, too. A very well done Belgian style blonde ale, probably with some wheat malts and certainly with Belgian yeast and other Belgian malts according to their web site. Slightly cloudy, as expected, and crisp, orange-y and spicy. 7% ABV but smooth. Not many breweries have survived in Raleigh but hopefully, this one will.

CB&B Scotch Ale-30 day review: This is even better now than at BG3. Dark brown, modest head. Lots of chocolate maltiness and perhaps a bit smoky/peat-y now. Little hops presence but not expecting much. Note of dark toffee, too. I'm thinking not much more ABV than the 6-7% quoted by the brewmaster at BG3. A job well done, sir. I'd brew this one again. Haven't had too many home brews but this is outstanding, along with an imperial stout that the former owner/brewer of the long extinct Tomcat Brewing Company in Raleigh did with some friends of mine several years ago, along with an IPA.
    Last edited by devildeac; 11-15-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Shelf life of beer?

Dear experts,

I have a lot of beer we bought last summer up here at the lakehouse. How long is it good? Does it matter whether or not it's been in the fridge or at room temp?

Love, Ima

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    Dear experts,

I have a lot of beer we bought last summer up here at the lakehouse. How long is it good? Does it matter whether or not it's been in the fridge or at room temp?

Love, Ima
    Depending on the beer, it should be good for up to a year. Some beers actually will last longer and do better aged, but most won't. Temperature affects taste a lot. If "room temperature" ever got over 80 for a period of time, it might taste pretty funky. Beer ages better at cooler temperatures, but warmer temperatures will adversely affect taste. It can wind up being sour, or "skunked".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    CB&B Scotch Ale-30 day review: This is even better now than at BG3. I'd brew this one again.
    Thanks much DD, glad you are still enjoying it. I'm going to have to brew it again, because I only have one left! The SA got marked in my notes as a favorite.

P.S. I've got a lb of Mt.Hood hop pellets and 10 oz of Cascade hop plugs on the way (via ebay). This way I"ll have some aroma hops to add to some of the kits I get, which I plan to try with the next SA. After trying Duck Rabbit's Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, I've wanted to go for it. Their Scotch Ale (very tasty) has a nice hop bite to it, with good caramel flavoring.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    Dear experts,

Love, Ima
    I'll echo what CB&B said and add that if they are bottle-conditioned, meaning there is yeast in the bottle, and are higher ABV, then they may be good for several years.