Page 74 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576841241745741074 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    All I can say is, you may like it. devildeac's description is accurate, but I am just not into chocolate-cherry-beer. The fruit flavor is too strong for my tastes.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I'm a fruity, cholate-ee beer kind of girl Actually, I haven't met many beers I don't like.

All I can say is, you may like it. devildeac's description is accurate, but I am just not into chocolate-cherry-beer. The fruit flavor is too strong for my tastes.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    About 5-10 years ago, I think I had a Star Cherry stout and thought it was horrible. I do like the Bell's and will deliver several on 11/29.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Anything in particular you think is in there?
    Missed your post, therefore missing the chance to ask the Duck-Rabbit folks the question. Some of those eclectic brews are often made with molasses or licorice in the fermentation process.

Saw some Starr Hill brews recently and it jostled the cherry wheat beer memory. I almost certain it was the cherry wheat beer from this brewery that I had at one of the early beer fests at the Durham Omni (?) hotel. Thought I was sipping Robitussin or some children's cough syrup. I may have to give one of CB&B's favorite, the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, another try as my tastes have changed a lot.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Missed your post, therefore missing the chance to ask the Duck-Rabbit folks the question. Some of those eclectic brews are often made with molasses or licorice in the fermentation process.
    With theirs, it's all malt and hops. Depending on the amount of malts and how roasted they are is where they get they flavors from. They don't add anything else.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I couldn't resist the beer in the fridge so I sampled some of the Palo Santo Marron (corked bottle waiting for tomorrow) and had a bottle of the Midas Touch.

Pale Santo Marron: Such a great beer. I had sampled this at GABF this year, but the sample didn't do it justice. Tonight I poured half a bottle, which was enough to allow me to taste it at cellar temp and room temp, and everything in between. On the nose heavy notes of alcohol, brown sugar and dark fruit (especially cherries). The flavor starts with a rich, buttery vanilla (undoubtedly from the wood) and then fades into notes of coffee, chocolate, and caramel. For those who have tried and enjoyed this, I would recommend Avery's Samael's Ale (oak aged english strong ale) and Oak Yeti Imperial Stout by Great Divide. Neither are the same style as PSM, but the flavors are very similar.

Midas Touch: Bizarre beer. Poured a full bottle and, at first, was turned off a little bit. It didn't taste like a beer that would be enjoyable after it warmed, but at 9% ABV, it needs to be sipped. But, to my great surprise, the beer not only tastes great as it warms, it tastes better. The nose offers hints of hops (although it's IBUs are only 20) but really hones in on honey and butter. The flavor is dominated by notes of grape and the richness from the nose. As it warmed it reminded me more and more of a White Burgundy and the DFH website confirms that it would appeal to chardonnay drinkers. This would be a good summer beer to plan a meal around.
    So far, three rave reviews for PSM. Perhaps we should develop a poll for Ymm, Beer's best beer sampled this year.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

So far, three rave reviews for PSM. Perhaps we should develop a poll for Ymm, Beer's best beer sampled this year.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Good idea. Probably oughtta be done with 64/65 beers as chosen by a DBR hops selection committee then seeded and proceed with a single elimination tournament.

Smile

Good idea. Probably oughtta be done with 64/65 beers as chosen by a DBR hops selection committee then seeded and proceed with a single elimination tournament.
    Break them up into divisions: wheat, ale, lager, stronger than a moose (drool).

Or maybe just award the four regionals to: Portland, Denver, St. Louis, and Philadelphia.

How about a series of polls? Lots of PW chances.

Or maybe just award the four regionals to: Portland, Denver, St. Louis, and Philadelphia.

This has some serious possibilities, except of course, it would be sort of a poll and you know how DBR folks can skew a poll. The favorite Duke player of all time was conducted in a fair manner and we all know how that turned out.

I think this should be an "ales only" event. Perhaps the lagers could be a 32 beer tournament with its semifinals and finals to be held at MSG

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I think this should be an "ales only" event. Perhaps the lagers could be a 32 beer tournament with its semifinals and finals to be held at MSG
    ROTFLMAO. Only a real beer snob/hop head/nerd would think of something like this. Another alternative might be to limit their number to five and then make them all 16 seeds and make two of them participate in a drink-in, err, play-in game.

I may have to pause on my posting for a while as I think this one puts me on the brink...

And if so, choose a special ale tonight to celebrate a milestone.
    Last edited by devildeac; 11-13-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: yep, milestone post tonight

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bell's Special Double Cream Stout

New beer to me, and I love it. Well roasted malts give off nice coffee tones. A very dark beer, with a dark head to match. Head fades quickly with fair retention on the walls of the glass. Smooth on the pallette, 6.1%ABV, a nice lasting sweetness to it, balances the roastiness well. The bottle says made with 10 different kinds of malt, not sure why so many but it works.

Ommegang Abbey Ale

Another Devildeac trade, it's billed as a "Belgian style Abbey dubbel, yeilding a rich, fruity, aromatic, burgundian brew". After a few tastings, it's hard to find any fault with the label, a pretty accurate description. It's a good one for a slow sipping during dinner or just lounging around, it invites laziness. Slightly tangy, the alcohol stands out pretty strong. No ABV on the bottle, but I'd be suprised if it was under 9%. Reminiscent of a burgundy wine...once again the label does not lie. A good brew, and a recommendation.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Salvation-Avery Brewing-A Belgian style golden ale and nicely done. I don't believe any additives but hints of fruitiness (apple?) and moderate maltiness for a slight sweetness to balance very mild hoppiness. No floral nose or bitterness here. IBU=25. ABV=9% and it is prominent. A bit of typical Belgian style spiciness and perhaps some coriander or allspice(?). Enjoyed this bomber SLOWLY over an hour or more last PM to celebrate #4000 (post, that is, not beer).

Salvation-Avery Brewing-A Belgian style golden ale and nicely done. I don't believe any additives but hints of fruitiness (apple?) and moderate maltiness for a slight sweetness to balance very mild hoppiness. No floral nose or bitterness here. IBU=25. ABV=9% and it is prominent. A bit of typical Belgian style spiciness and perhaps some coriander or allspice(?). Enjoyed this bomber SLOWLY over an hour or more last PM to celebrate #4000 (post, that is, not beer).
    Congrats on reaching this exalted status!

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Ditto to that! Cheers and a toast!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Winterbraun ale, Lost Coast Brewery

Wasn't sure what to expect of this one, it was in the bargain bin at my local specialty shop. (They call that bin the "Get out of here beer")
    If I had known about it earlier, I would have gotten a 6, very tasty. I like beer labels that lay it on the line for you, so here's this one's.

"Brewed with American pale malt and a mixture of caramel and chocolate malts, with Saaz hops added to give a unique spicy flavor and aroma".

The chocolate stands out well, the hops are strong for a dark ale. The initial taste compares to a stout, it finishes with hoppiness of a pale ale. The roasted malts complement the hops well, I'm thinking of adding some more aroma hops to my next dark brew to capture some of this quality. Too bad I grabbed the last 2, I'd go back for more to get a couple extras as BG trades.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Congratulations... will be anxious to see some of the reviews on the banker box collection!

Starting my next brew in a few minutes..Belgian Red Ale

Interesting ingredients, only 6 lbs of NW gold syrub, no dry extract. The other fermentable sugar is a pound of Dark Candi Sugar. I opened the kit and thought the guy sent me a bag of rocks.
    1lb Belgian blend of grains, 1 oz Northern hops, 1 oz Hallertau, liquid Trappist Ale yeast. Looking forward to seeing how the candi sugar works out, well see in a few weeks. Should be right on schedule to bottle the night before the last brunchgate.

I split a bottle of this with my dad a few weeks ago (it was a pre-dinner beer so, as you can imagine, it ended up being a late night beer after we moved on to bourbon and Golden Tee). My favorite of the Avery Holy Trinity by a long shot. Congrats on 4000! 1000 is creeping on me so I guess I need to find a special beer to review as that post