Page 735 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 23563568572573373473573673774578583512351735 ... LastLast
Results 14,681 to 14,700 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Xocoveza-Stone Brewing

Davekay better be right on this one...

Pour was a dark brown with a creamy, tan head. Nose of cocoa, coffee and spices. First taste was at devildeac garage, err, storage facility temperature, which was about 50 degrees today. Tastes like a cold hot chocolate coffee. Cinnamon and nutmeg are the first 2 spices, with a bit of a vanilla finish. I'm waiting for the pasilla peppers to kick in but not at this temperature. More coffee and cocoa flavors as it warmed over about 30 minutes with a bit more vanilla as it approached room temperature of about 66 degrees. Now, there's some heat. It's very subtle and doesn't burn and is more warming than the fiery that I've tasted before with habaneros. It's an imperial stout with pretty standard IBUs at 50 but the ABV as a bit on the low side for the style at 8.1%. I think this was about $13-14 for the 6er with a 10% off Total Wine coupon and very much worth the price. This would be fine with a spice/rubbed brisket or prime rib and I'd be very happy to have it with/for dessert, too.

Ymm, Beer and davekay strike again as I don't think I'd have chosen this without his review a few months ago. Thanks!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Honey Orange Tripel-New Belgium Brewing Company

From their Belgian Reserve series (news to me )

Picked up a 6er of this last month for about $12 with my 10% off Total Wine coupon.

Pour was a clear, orange-yellow with a generous, frothy but lacy head that lingered on my Ommegang tulip forever last PM. Seductive scents of honey and orange. Initial tastes were sweet, but not cloying, no surprise given the honey added in the brewing process. Very slight bitterness from the orange peel but actually more fruity/juicy than rindy. It's also mildly floral with a pinch of black pepper coming from the Belgian yeast. IBUs are 25 and the ABV is a deceptive 10%. This would make a dangerous aperitif with a plate of fresh fruit and soft cheeses. It'd also make a nice sipper with a fruit tart for dessert. Five remain for trading/sharing/gifting, but in reality, only 2-3 will be actually available as I'm sure I'll save a bottle or two for myself .

Made a trip to Sun King after watching Indiana knock of Notre Dame in the Crossroads Classic. It was a good day.

Tried four new brews.

Walking on the Sun - Pepper infused Cream Ale. You can really taste the pepper! Initial taste was similar to the standard Sunlight Cream Ale, but man it had a kick. I enjoyed the heat it brought, my friends not so much.

Knifeproof Earmuffs - It's a stout brewed with dark coffee, chocolate, caramel, and nut. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was for a stout.

When the Lights Go Out - This porter has been out for a while, I just never got around to trying it. Heavy coffee flavors.

Bitter Druid - Sun King lists this as an "Americanized Extra Special Bitter", so we'll run with that. Solid, similar to any other English bitter.

Also just want to restate my love for Wee Muckle and The Flannel Mist. Exceptional beers.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Made a trip to Sun King after watching Indiana knock of Notre Dame in the Crossroads Classic. It was a good day.

Tried four new brews.

Walking on the Sun - Pepper infused Cream Ale. You can really taste the pepper! Initial taste was similar to the standard Sunlight Cream Ale, but man it had a kick. I enjoyed the heat it brought, my friends not so much.

Knifeproof Earmuffs - It's a stout brewed with dark coffee, chocolate, caramel, and nut. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was for a stout.

When the Lights Go Out - This porter has been out for a while, I just never got around to trying it. Heavy coffee flavors.

Bitter Druid - Sun King lists this as an "Americanized Extra Special Bitter", so we'll run with that. Solid, similar to any other English bitter.

Also just want to restate my love for Wee Muckle and The Flannel Mist. Exceptional beers.
    There's a 6er of this in my garage, err, beer cellar, which I'll divide equally and deliver to fuse tomorrow evening so you/we are able to post some southern musings, too.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Flannel Mist-Sun King Brewing

Kinda all over the place here with our styles/IBUs/ABV and tasting "order."

A Belgian style quad checking in here with IBUs of 24 and a stunning ABV of 10.7%, both as expected for the style. Appearance was dark brown-standard. Nose was syrup and dark, dried fruits-standard. Tastes were raisins, dates, figs, brown sugar and rummy-all standard again. Liquid dessert or perhaps a small snifter to accompany a caramel/chocolate dessert.

Tried four new brews.

Yes, please, may I have a full snifter on our next visit!

New Belgium French Oak Saison

Smells musty, funky, sour as you’d expect.
    An orange-y citrus sweetness intermingled in the nose.

Wow.
    Tart.
    There is an orange juiciness to this beer (although it is still a bit too cold).

Bitter orange rind up front finishes with some dry wood notes.

I wish I knew enough to say “ah yes, clearly the french oak imparts a rustic old world finesse that simply cannot be mustered using pedestrian American white oak”.

Ha! With rare exception, New Belgium 22oz bombers in their Lips of Faith series always delight.

As it warms up, the orange juiciness fades dramatically, replaced with a much stronger funkiness and a drier mouthfeel.

If you like saisons, and barrel aged beer, this is one to add to your list to find and try.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    New Belgium French Oak Saison

Smells musty, funky, sour as you’d expect.
    An orange-y citrus sweetness intermingled in the nose.

Wow.
    Tart.
    There is an orange juiciness to this beer (although it is still a bit too cold).

Bitter orange rind up front finishes with some dry wood notes.

I wish I knew enough to say “ah yes, clearly the french oak imparts a rustic old world finesse that simply cannot be mustered using pedestrian American white oak”.

Ha! With rare exception, New Belgium 22oz bombers in their Lips of Faith series always delight.

As it warms up, the orange juiciness fades dramatically, replaced with a much stronger funkiness and a drier mouthfeel.

If you like saisons, and barrel aged beer, this is one to add to your list to find and try.
    I've got another NB Reserve series to review a bit later...

3F Moloko Milk Stout

Unusual nose- fresh, earthy.

Maybe not licorice, perhaps star anise or something licorice like.

Not sweet as you’d expect a milk stout to be.

Tasty.

Cheers and thanks devildeac!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    3F Moloko Milk Stout

Unusual nose- fresh, earthy.

Maybe not licorice, perhaps star anise or something licorice like.

Not sweet as you’d expect a milk stout to be.

Tasty.

Cheers and thanks devildeac!
    And another you're welcome!

I think I'll save mine to share with family starting this Friday.

Sour Saison-New Belgium Brewing Company

Beer cocktail? Beer hybrid?

From the New Belgium Reserve Series.

This is really too complicated to try and explain so I'll let the brewer/PR folks do it:

"This intriguing Saison took years to perfect. Our Brewers worked tirelessly to brew an exquisite French-style Saison, while our industry leading Wood Cellar Team worked to mature the perfect Sour Golden Ale in large, French oak barrels called Foeders. The best of both worlds is brought-out with this Sour Saison – a traditional barrel-aged sour ale artfully blended with a rustic, champagne-like Farmhouse Ale. With over 20 years of barrel-aged sour experience and the largest Wood Cellar in the United States, we’re proud to offer Sour Saison as our first ever year-round, traditional sour ale that’s so uniquely New Belgium, it can’t be replicated."

Aromas: Granny Smith apples, pears, lemon and barnyard/horse blanket
    Appearance: Golden-yellow with a moderate, fizzy head
    Tastes: Mildly sour apples, pears, lemons, melon and a pinch of black pepper
    IBUs: 18
    ABV: 7%
    Ingredients: YEAST

Hybrid Belgian, French Saison yeast, House-mixed culture in foeder, including numerous strains of lacto, bretta and predio (partial batch)

HOPS

Target, Hallertau Mittelfruh, Saaz, Liberty

MALTS

Pale, Rye, Wheat

SPECIAL PROCESSING

Yeast: - Primary Fermentation: Hybrid Belgian and French Saison Yeast - Maturation: House mixed culture in foeder, including numerous strains of lacto, bretta and predio (partial batch) Other Processes: - Bottle Conditioned

Another 6er bought last month for about $12 from Total Wine with a 10% off coupon. Another high quality grab. Five remain and I'll drink another couple of these in the next 3 months and share/trade the rest.

Sour Monkey-Victory Brewing Company

Golden Monkey goes Brett!

They took their classic/true-to-style Belgian style tripel age and aged it with brettanomyces yeast.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my large, lovely Ommegang tulip with a small, fizzy head and a gold-yellow hue. There's a bit of funk in the nose but mostly lemon and orange. Tastes are very slightly cloying (guessing there's some Belgian candi sugar used) with a noticeable Sour Patch Kids lemon-orange zip, some honey (not added) and a tiny sprinkle of black pepper that pretty typical of a Belgian golden/tripel ale. No mussels for me but I'd happily sip another one of these with some sweet and sour chicken or shrimp. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV is a seductive and dangerous 9.5%. There's 5 remaining from my 6er that was about $12 with my 10% off Total Wine coupon. What to do, what to do?

Thankful to see that I've had at least one beer from each. Definitely need to try more of Tin Man, Flat12, and 18th Street, though.

Thankful to see that I've had at least one beer from each. Definitely need to try more of Tin Man, Flat12, and 18th Street, though.
    My question:

Why isn't Taxman on that list?

My question:

Why isn't Taxman on that list?

Believe the list said it was compiled based on social media presence. I'm not sure about the rest of the list, but they have ~7k Twitter followers. Perhaps the others have more across twitter/FB/Instagram?

I thought it was strange too.

St. Benedict's Dubbel Coconut Curry (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ale/Brewing

Beer is always better with family and/or friends.

Enjoyed yet another good beer tasting/trading with fuse about an hour ago and this was a 2 ounce taster.

Pour was a dark brown with a large, foamy tan head. Aromas of milk chocolate and coconut but no almonds . Matching tastes with some dried, dark fruits and very subtle curry/heat at the finish of my small sample. I'll guess IBUs about 30 based on the style and the ABV is the usual 7.2%. This would pair well with a mild lamb or chicken curry dish.

Mille Fleur Prickly Pear (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales/Brewing

This was a real purchase .

Very pretty ruby-orange hue with a small head. Nose of apples and light citrus. Tastes of pear (yea, I know it's not a pear but a member of the cactus family ), apple and a squeeze of lemon (added) and a twist of lemon rind. It's their standard saison with the prickly pear and lemon zest added. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was on the electronic chalk board at 5.8%. Serve with a plate of soft cheeses and fruit.

Santa's Cookies (draft)-Champion Brewing Company

Another real beer purchase .

Labeled on the draft board as a spiced, imperial stout, I think the old, fat, bearded dude would be pleased to see a can of this at the fireplace/kitchen table at your house in a week.

Pour was a dark, dark brown with a small, tan head. Nose of Christmas spices. Fuse guessed cinnamon. I guessed nutmeg. Shows you how refined our palates aren't as the website lists ginger and cardamom . Tastes are heavily roasted grains, milk chocolate/cocoa, a splash of coffee and more spices, but I'm not guessing anymore . IBUs listed at 45 and the ABV was a warming 8%. Serve with a plate of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, with or without raisins. I think Tripping William needs to visit this brewery in Hooville or we need to have duketaylor drop by their Richmond location and gain a couple more perspectives of their offerings .

Another real beer purchase .

Labeled on the draft board as a spiced, imperial stout, I think the old, fat, bearded dude would be pleased to see a can of this at the fireplace/kitchen table at your house in a week.

Pour was a dark, dark brown with a small, tan head. Nose of Christmas spices. Fuse guessed cinnamon. I guessed nutmeg. Shows you how refined our palates aren't as the website lists ginger and cardamom . Tastes are heavily roasted grains, milk chocolate/cocoa, a splash of coffee and more spices, but I'm not guessing anymore . IBUs listed at 45 and the ABV was a warming 8%. Serve with a plate of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, with or without raisins. I think Tripping William needs to visit this brewery in Hooville or we need to have duketaylor drop by their Richmond location and gain a couple more perspectives of their offerings .
    Will put this on the list (along with playing golf at Birdwood) for the next C’ville trip, whenever it may be. Would help if DMB would release 2018 Tour dates ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Another real beer purchase

I will just very gently and politely colour this tale with the small additional nuance that I did in fact suggest cardamom when we were tasting this Christmas cookie in a cup