Page 71 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273811211715711071 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

beer guessing

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    TWEEEET!! Holding. 10 post penalty and a loss of down.

Once I figure out how to download photos from my daughter's camera, I'll try to figure out how to post photos from the Schlafly Tap Room.

Next time, I'll try to visit the O'Fallon boys.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    3rd down: Chocolate cherry?

Smile O'Fallon mystery brew... 3rd down

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    3rd down: Chocolate cherry?
    No. You know me better than to go chocolate cherry again.

Technically, now you are at 3rd and 25.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. The best photos are from ILJ and her camera ... with film.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I thought you might bring back a single for me. (beer, that is)

Time out to plan my 4th down play.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

OK, play/guessing resumes:

Devildeac drops back into punt formation.

There's the snap.

No, it's a fake. He looks downfield, spots an open mug, err, receiver, delivers the guess and it's:

Goat's Breath Bock Ale.

And the pass is...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ordered Belgian Wit Beer kit today, should be brewing it Thursday or Friday night. Hoping to order one more style this coming weekend in hopes of having 4 types for selection at our last Brunchgate.

Thumbs down

OK, play/guessing resumes:

Devildeac drops back into punt formation.

There's the snap.

No, it's a fake. He looks downfield, spots an open mug, err, receiver, delivers the guess and it's:

Goat's Breath Bock Ale.

And the pass is...
    Incomplete. You have turned the ball over on downs.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Avery-Fifteen (again)

I reviewed a bottle of Avery's Fifteenth Anniversary last spring right after purchasing it. I stored a few bottles in the fridge and am now, 7 months later, opening a second. I'll save my other bottles for future comparisons.

Although I didn't go back an re-read my spring review, I remember being a little underwhelmed. This is an American Wild Ale (modeled after a Belgian Wild/Farmhouse Ale) that is fermented with wild yeast. Tonight the beer is more funky than I remember (so it has aged somewhat) on the nose. It has a distinct lemon and pepper scent that is overshadowed by the funk (if you're wondering what I mean by "funk", think soapy dishwater, but in a good way, I promise). The flavor is very floral and peppery, but lacks any of the citrus from the nose. It has a somewhat stale flavor that is attributable to the wild yeast.

Overall, much better this time around. I look forward to trying another bottle in a few more months or aging.

Tomorrow I'll finally crack open my bottles of Ale to the Chief Presidential Pale Ale and share with friends while watching the election results. Also in the somewhat near future is a bomber of Lefthand's Snowbound Winter Ale and Great Divide's Yeti Imperial Stout (comparing it to the Oak Aged Yeti that I reviewed a few weeks back).

Weissenohe Monk's Fest-Part of the Belgian sampler from Tyler's-Don't ask me-it's a German beer-a marzen to be exact. Didn't quite fit in with the others but I enjoyed it. Pretty much an amber ale so the malted barley predominated with a biscuit/bread taste. A good way to start the Belgian beer flight at about 5% ABV (not listed on their beer menu).

Incomplete. You have turned the ball over on downs.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    They don't have many other brews listed on their web site. I can't imagine you'd tease me this long about their plain wheat beer or their gold.

"Perhaps a fall/winter brew they have not listed yet," he said with fading hope.

New Belgium 2 Below-not quite sure what to make of this one. It is golden and not brown like most winter offerings and somewhat resembles Fat Tire but with a bit more ABV(6.6%). It is dry-hopped giving it a bit more bite than Fat Tire but still quite smooth and very drinkable. Recommended to be served at 37 degrees. However, this temperature renders a flavorful ale like this, or many others, much like a coors or bud, just a cold beer. Would love to hear RockyMtDevil's, Throaty's or OhioGuy's take/s on this one.
    I just had my first 2 Below this weekend. I enjoyed it - in that it was a decent beer; I thought it hoppier than Fat Tire, but not as much as a Mac & Jack's African Amber. But overall, though it was good, there wasn't an "aha! I must have more!" moment like I had with their Trippel.

Smile Almost

They don't have many other brews listed on their web site. I can't imagine you'd tease me this long about their plain wheat beer or their gold.

"Perhaps a fall/winter brew they have not listed yet," he said with fading hope.
    One of those is a bronze medal winner from the 2005 GABF.

Sometimes, the simple beer done to perfection is the remarkable one.

Sort of like Bobby Flay in Throwdown, winning the cheesecake competition because he went simple... perfection.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I just had my first 2 Below this weekend. I enjoyed it - in that it was a decent beer; I thought it hoppier than Fat Tire, but not as much as a Mac & Jack's African Amber. But overall, though it was good, there wasn't an "aha! I must have more!" moment like I had with their Trippel.
    I really do like their Trippel/Triple. In fact, I think I still have one in the 'fridge from a delivery several months ago and will enjoy (and review) this week.

One of those is a bronze medal winner from the 2005 GABF.

Sometimes, the simple beer done to perfection is the remarkable one.

Sort of like Bobby Flay in Throwdown, winning the cheesecake competition because he went simple... perfection.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I missed that. I have been thinking "seasonal." I don't think much about spring and summer brews now. Some would say I don't think much at all.

Smile

I missed that. I have been thinking "seasonal." I don't think much about spring and summer brews now. Some would say I don't think much at all.
    You may have received a 15 post penalty, but at least you get the reward of tasting this brew. Ymm... I'll post a review later this evening.

It's still warm here, so I'll take advantage of the summer brews.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

not sure if this is on here yet...but yet again I will post a Leinenkugels beer...their Fireside Nut Brown (Winter Seasonal) beer is quite good in my opinion. it has a very maple, chocolate flavor. it is 4.9%ABV, IMO quite smooth...i suggest if you like darker beers to check it out...i typically don't, but this is quite flavorful

Thumbs up O'Fallon Unfiltered Hefeweissen

Like most good wheats, pours a cloudy gold with a mild head. Aroma is faint, but crisp.

Initial taste, low bitterness, but just enough to lead into a strong, crisp hefe taste. Low ABV, but WELL worth the taste. Little if any aftertaste. You COULD get away with a slice of lemon or lime, but I wouldn't as there is a faint sourness in the brew. This brew is a bronze medal winner in the GABF, and I can appreciate that, especially if I was more into the wheats. As I am more of a hoppy guy (), I wouldn't put this into my active winter rotation; I would during the summer/warm season.

Ymm, Beer:

If you're into wheats, this is a must. If you're not, it's still a good try, and an absolute must during the summer. Is it better than a Leiney Honey, or even the O'Fallon Peach-wheat? That's unfair. Best to compare with other plain, unfiltered wheats.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Like most good wheats, pours a cloudy gold with a mild head. Aroma is faint, but crisp.

Initial taste, low bitterness, but just enough to lead into a strong, crisp hefe taste. Low ABV, but WELL worth the taste. Little if any aftertaste. You COULD get away with a slice of lemon or lime, but I wouldn't as there is a faint sourness in the brew. This brew is a bronze medal winner in the GABF, and I can appreciate that, especially if I was more into the wheats. As I am more of a hoppy guy (), I wouldn't put this into my active winter rotation; I would during the summer/warm season.

Ymm, Beer:

If you're into wheats, this is a must. If you're not, it's still a good try, and an absolute must during the summer. Is it better than a Leiney Honey, or even the O'Fallon Peach-wheat? That's unfair. Best to compare with other plain, unfiltered wheats.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    sounds fairly typical. looking forward to tasting one from my sampler next week.

Duck Rabbit-Milk Stout-thanks to CB&B for the trader here. A slighly sweet stout as it is brewed with lactose, not milk. Still is slightly dry with wonderful aroma and tastes of espresso. Very minor bite. Great with a brownie or other chocolate dessert. I'd guess about 5% abv.

Quote Originally Posted by bigj4194 View Post
    not sure if this is on here yet...but yet again I will post a Leinenkugels beer...their Fireside Nut Brown (Winter Seasonal) beer is quite good in my opinion. it has a very maple, chocolate flavor. it is 4.9%ABV, IMO quite smooth...i suggest if you like darker beers to check it out...i typically don't, but this is quite flavorful
    Haven't seen you post much on this thread. Glad you could contribute. Don't be a stranger. That sounds like a good fall beer I'd like to try.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj4194 View Post
    The Leinenkugels are hit and miss with me. Their Sunset Wheat I've always enjoyed, the flavored berry ale's and the honey ale they produce are misses. I did get to try the Sunset Wheat on tap once, was good stuff. I'll have to give the nut brown a shot. Their brews can be found in most stores, which is a nice thing when the pickens are slim.