Page 709 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 20960965969970770870971071171975980912091709 ... LastLast
Results 14,161 to 14,180 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’d have to have an idea of cost first.

I have visions of a $250 unaffordable “bottle” of beer.
    Case of 2015 Abyss: About $240
    Case of 2016 Abyss: About $300
    Case of any NG fruit beer 750s: About $135
    Case of Raspberry Tart: About $65
    Case of 2017 World Wide Stout: About $205

I think I've already set my priorities.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I've had 6 of them.

Thresher-Burial Beer Company

A golden coffee-infused saison! Many thanks to mattman for gifting this!

Pour from a 16 ounce can was a slightly cloudy amber-gold with a small head. This really had aromas of a "blonde" coffee. The tastes were pretty much unlike any saison I've ever sipped. Typically, I'd expect a little funk, some straw along with apples, pears and a pinch of black pepper. This was all lightly roasted coffee, almonds and toffee with some very soft, floral bitterness. No IBUs to be found so I'll guess 20 and the ABV was a highly sippable 4.8%, IIRC. Pairings? I'm not sure. The coffee would make me tempted to enjoy with a coffee-rubbed ribeye, but the saison makes me think about nibbling on a slice of chocolate pound cake with it.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Pour from a 16 ounce can was a slightly cloudy amber-gold with a small head. This really had aromas of a "blonde" coffee. The tastes were pretty much unlike any saison I've ever sipped. Typically, I'd expect a little funk, some straw along with apples, pears and a pinch of black pepper. This was all lightly roasted coffee, almonds and toffee with some very soft, floral bitterness. No IBUs to be found so I'll guess 20 and the ABV was a highly sippable 4.8%, IIRC. Pairings? I'm not sure. The coffee would make me tempted to enjoy with a coffee-rubbed ribeye, but the saison makes me think about nibbling on a slice of chocolate pound cake with it.
    nice review, sounds interesting.

Still haven't tried it yet but I have 2 left in the fridge.

Case of 2015 Abyss: About $240
    Case of 2016 Abyss: About $300
    Case of any NG fruit beer 750s: About $135
    Case of Raspberry Tart: About $65
    Case of 2017 World Wide Stout: About $205

I think I've already set my priorities.
    Raspberry Tart at that price is a no brainer. Even a zombie could figure that out.

Happy Halloween all!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    nice review, sounds interesting.

Still haven't tried it yet but I have 2 left in the fridge.
    Now, the rest of the story. I consumed this beer during halftime and the 3rd Q on Saturday and proceeded to have palpitations for about 12 hours after drinking it. I was initially going to blame poor judgment for consuming a coffee-infused ale so late in the evening and give the beer a bad review. However, upon further review, it became painfully obvious it was not the beer but our putrid performance in Hokieland that caused my temporary affliction and I can reasonably () say our *ffense needs nearly a complete overhaul and the beer was quite excellent. Thanks again!

Raspberry Tart at that price is a no brainer. Even a zombie could figure that out.

Happy Halloween all!
    Drink, err, trick or treat!

So, what's everyone tasting tonight for celebratory ales on All Hallows' Eve?

Bringing it over from the snakes...

Stone Xocoveza. A imperial stout brewed with inspiration from Mexican hot chocolate. Flavoring with coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg with just a hint of pepper. To be honest...I couldn't taste any pepper at all. At 8.6% ABV it's not quite as much kick in the tush as I'd expect from an imperial stout made by Stone, but that's actually a good thing for a beer to have with dinner on a work night. Sometimes life needs a beer that requires the kind of commitment demanded by one of those 12% ABV imperials. This beer was delicious. If you are looking for the peppery heat, don't get it, but if you want a coffee themed stout with a little Mexican twist, this is a fantastic choice. I got a six pack, happily.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Bringing it over from the snakes...

Stone Xocoveza. A imperial stout brewed with inspiration from Mexican hot chocolate. Flavoring with coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg with just a hint of pepper. To be honest...I couldn't taste any pepper at all. At 8.6% ABV it's not quite as much kick in the tush as I'd expect from an imperial stout made by Stone, but that's actually a good thing for a beer to have with dinner on a work night. Sometimes life needs a beer that requires the kind of commitment demanded by one of those 12% ABV imperials. This beer was delicious. If you are looking for the peppery heat, don't get it, but if you want a coffee themed stout with a little Mexican twist, this is a fantastic choice. I got a six pack, happily.

Stepping up in the world? Or down?

Great review. I'll reconsider my purchase of this one (I chose Stone's Mocha IPA over Xocoveza) as I don't like "heat" in my beers but this one sounds wonderful.

I was leaning toward Weyerbacher's imperial pumpkin ale, but you have me seriously considering opening another 16-ounce can (not bomber!) of Thresher. If mattman needs further encouragement, post #13822 might help.

Of course, there's always a risk, once the firepit is blazing, that a bomber of Sexual Chocolate gets opened . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Another hat-tip to Stella Brew, from whence I acquired a four-pack of 16-ounce cans. I am coming around to the view, expressed by others here, that Burial has placed itself firmly in the running as NC's best overall brewery. This is another really solid offering that continues Burial's momentum.

There is nothing whatsoever that would hint at the amount of coffee flavor present in this beer. It pours a beautiful golden yellow color, with a thick off-white head. Really nice coffee notes on the nose, and then the roast really shines through on the palate. A touch of the to-be-expected saison funk, as well, which balances things nicely. Mrs. Tripping liked the taste a lot, but said she could only drink it from a can because the coffee flavors are completely dissonant with the color of the beer. So be it: I like surprises more than she does.

And at 4.5% alcohol, it's extremely sessionable. Very much worth seeking out.
    I was leaning toward Weyerbacher's imperial pumpkin ale, but you have me seriously considering opening another 16-ounce can (not bomber!) of Thresher. If mattman needs further encouragement, post #13822 might help.

Of course, there's always a risk, once the firepit is blazing, that a bomber of Sexual Chocolate gets opened . . . . .
    I forgot you had reviewed this. I'm sorry for not quoting you. TW's original review, outstanding as usual, is above. I'll try to do better next time .

Stepping up in the world? Or down?

Great review. I'll reconsider my purchase of this one (I chose Stone's Mocha IPA over Xocoveza) as I don't like "heat" in my beers but this one sounds wonderful.
    I've had Stone's mocha IPA and it was delicious too. As is their Russian Imperial Stout (although that's a beer that demands a night with nothing else to do). Basically Stone makes good beer.

Brueprint Dribbrue Double IPA

A basketball themed offering from one of Apex's finest, with "drib" being a reference to "dribble" and with basketballs depicted on the label. The local Whole Foods was selling single 16-ounce cans last week, so I picked one up, and came away very impressed. The label indicates a variety of citrus fruit flavors, and it didn't disappoint in that regard (which means Mrs. Tripping will never come within a gazillion miles of it). Pours a cloudy gold color with an off-white head. Excellent bite from the hops, and IBUs are listed at 70. It's high-gravity, too, with ABV north of 10%. One most really like the style to take on this bad-boy, but if you fall into that category (as I do), this is one very much worth tracking down.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

A basketball themed offering from one of Apex's finest, with "drib" being a reference to "dribble" and with basketballs depicted on the label. The local Whole Foods was selling single 16-ounce cans last week, so I picked one up, and came away very impressed. The label indicates a variety of citrus fruit flavors, and it didn't disappoint in that regard (which means Mrs. Tripping will never come within a gazillion miles of it). Pours a cloudy gold color with an off-white head. Excellent bite from the hops, and IBUs are listed at 70. It's high-gravity, too, with ABV north of 10%. One most really like the style to take on this bad-boy, but if you fall into that category (as I do), this is one very much worth tracking down.
    Fuse and I both saw this at Bottle Revolution last week as we sipped half pints together before our beer/cash exchange. I'm not sure he's had it before and the bruery (sic) might be within stumbling distance of his house. Might have to procure a can of this based on your review.

Fuse and I both saw this at Bottle Revolution last week as we sipped half pints together before our beer/cash exchange. I'm not sure he's had it before and the bruery (sic) might be within stumbling distance of his house. Might have to procure a can of this based on your review.
    In fact I have had Double Dribbue from the source on draft. It is quite tasty.

Not sure I can find it, when they crowdsourced the name, there was a Duke themed option.

Likely starting with Cigar City Good Gourd and finishing with NoDa Gordgeous.

Likely starting with Cigar City Good Gourd and finishing with NoDa Gordgeous.
    Hmmm, now that sounds like a familiar idea. Well, thought maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I've had Stone's mocha IPA and it was delicious too. As is their Russian Imperial Stout (although that's a beer that demands a night with nothing else to do). Basically Stone makes good beer.
    I think it's even more widely available now in NC since they opened their east coast site in Richmond, VA.

In fact I have had Double Dribbue from the source on draft. It is quite tasty.

Not sure I can find it, when they crowdsourced the name, there was a Duke themed option.
    The options were:

Krzyzbrueski [how did this not win????]

Double Dribrue

Brue Triple Double

Brue Pointer

I guess if it was not going to be Krzyzbrueski, Double Dribrue was the next best option of the four.