Page 670 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 17057062066066866967067167268072077011701670 ... LastLast
Results 13,381 to 13,400 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    DFH Lupu-Luau
    "Boom ... so the nose is an absolute tropical party." - Sam Calagione. If you haven't tried Lupu-Luau yet, head to the Fish Finder at dogfish.com to help you track some down because nobody wants to miss this party! 🏝 #craftbeer #offcentered

Above quote grabbed from a DFH FB post.

The nose is supremely coconut / coconut cream.

Its an interesting blend of coconut and hops.

I really like coconut in beer. I wonder if a fruitier hop would make it better.
    Its been ages since I have had a DFH 60 minute- this tastes like 60 minute with coconut added.

Mixed opinion. Really wanted to rave about it, and the balance improved as it warmed. Glad I tried it, will likely try again.
    I had this when I visited the DFH brewery a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't a huge fan. I'm not a huge coconut fan (beer or otherwise) and I agree that I thought it needed a fruitier or grassier hop presence. It was a smooth, balanced beer that I happily finished but I don't see myself buying a six pack.

Other DFH notes:
    - If you are of age you can get four free (~4oz) samples at the brewery. Nice. Then you can also purchase full-size beers. A food truck outside grilling bratwurst was quite nice
    - Festina Peche, SeaQuench, and Burton Baton are as good on tap as in a bottle
    - Not to bury the lede, but run (don't walk) if you get a chance to purchase Oak-aged, Vanilla World-Wide Stout. Wife and I split a 10 oz that was probably really a 12oz thanks to a regular pint glass and a generous pour. For a ~18% stout that was bottled 3 weeks before it was amazingly smooth. Oak and vanilla notes nicely complemented the roasty, chocolatey flavors. Talk about a beer you can chew on. The limit of what I thought I could get home safely in my checked luggage (not the $36/4 pack price) kept me to a 4 pack. I'll do my best to sit on them for a year or two.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Highly recommend: Berliner Weisse is, like many NG beers, true to style. Slightly tart wheat beer. No fruit additions. If you like this style it's a great example. Staghorn Oktoberfest is, surprise, a really good true-to-style oktoberfest on par with Ayinger, Paulaner, and Hacker-Pschorr. Just enough sweetness to balance the roast and spiciness of the malt. Surprised you didn't pick up any of this on your Midwest Beer Odyssey. Been a few years since I had Blacktop, but I recall it being a really nice mix of roasty and hoppy.

Recommend: Cherry Stout sounds awesome. Never had it or seen it is the only reason it is not highly recommended. I think I will have to have my beer delivery service bring me some when they visit at the beginning of November.

???: Haven't had Dancing Man Wheat in a long time. Hefeweizen aren't one of my favorite beer styles but I'm sure it's good. As I just said hefe is not one of my favorite styles and I've never had Bubbler since its inception 3-4 years ago. Bonus points if you know what the name refers to. I am also not a big fan of cream ales. Had regular Spotted Cow many times and never really cared for it. Since it allows Dan Carey to make other amazing beers by accounting for over 40% of NG's yearly sales I can't be mad at it. I've never had Spotted Cow Grand Cru. My brother-in-law who feels similarly about regular Spotted Cow tried the Grand Cru and said it was a boozier, bigger version of the original. Not bad but nothing he would seek out again.

It's awesome that your relatives will drive up from the south side of Chicago to get you some New Glarus beers. My parents have to drive 2 min or at most 20 minutes to pick me up my fix. Enjoy!!
    Many thanks for taking the time for the suggestions! I'll be interested to read/hear what the "friend" has to say.

I'm not that big a fan of Oktoberfest biers in general and bought soooo much other stuff last September anyway. I'll put it on the list for pick-up and delivery this time. You convinced me with the German comparisons.

Our daughter and her husband live about 70 miles from the Woodman's just off the I-94/WI-165 junction outside Kenosha. They're not driving all the way to New Glarus. Plus, the NG retailers sell the beer cheaper than they do at the brewery. Let's just say they have developed quite a fondness for NG fruit ales, too.

WAG with the meaning of Bubbler: Does it refer to its effervescence and/or comparison to champagne?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Mother Earth Oatmeal IPA

A really strong offering from Mother Earth.
    Smooth, fruity, only mildly bitter and yet hoppy.

Nose is citrusy, grapefruit.

Really smooth, melon flavour.

Worth trying for sure. Cheers!

I had this when I visited the DFH brewery a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't a huge fan. I'm not a huge coconut fan (beer or otherwise) and I agree that I thought it needed a fruitier or grassier hop presence. It was a smooth, balanced beer that I happily finished but I don't see myself buying a six pack.

Other DFH notes:
    - If you are of age you can get four free (~4oz) samples at the brewery. Nice. Then you can also purchase full-size beers. A food truck outside grilling bratwurst was quite nice
    - Not to bury the lede, but run (don't walk) if you get a chance to purchase Oak-aged, Vanilla World-Wide Stout. Wife and I split a 10 oz that was probably really a 12oz thanks to a regular pint glass and a generous pour. For a ~18% stout that was bottled 3 weeks before it was amazingly smooth. Oak and vanilla notes nicely complemented the roasty, chocolatey flavors. Talk about a beer you can chew on. The limit of what I thought I could get home safely in my checked luggage (not the $36/4 pack price) kept me to a 4 pack. I'll do my best to sit on them for a year or two.
    (Almost) insanely jealous you could get a 4 pack of that iteration of WWS. $9/bottle is not a bad price for that concoction. I think I paid $7/bottle about 10 years ago when I bought a case in DC. Finally drank the last bottle this spring, sharing it with our son and younger daughter, to celebrate a graduation. I'll certainly ask our local DFH rep during the tasting next week if he'd like to do any "trading" for any NG products that might arrive in October .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Many thanks for taking the time for the suggestions! I'll be interested to read/hear what the "friend" has to say.

I'm not that big a fan of Oktoberfest biers in general and bought soooo much other stuff last September anyway. I'll put it on the list for pick-up and delivery this time. You convinced me with the German comparisons.

Our daughter and her husband live about 70 miles from the Woodman's just off the I-94/WI-165 junction outside Kenosha. They're not driving all the way to New Glarus. Plus, the NG retailers sell the beer cheaper than they do at the brewery. Let's just say they have developed quite a fondness for NG fruit ales, too.

WAG with the meaning of Bubbler: Does it refer to its effervescence and/or comparison to champagne?
    Definitely give the Staghorn a try. Not as sweet as the Sam Adams or other domestic versions that have taken over the market. I figured they were just crossing the border in either Kenosha or Beloit. Woodman's (in Madison at least) has a very good beer selection and cheaper prices.

I'm sure the Bubbler name was in part due to the effervescence in a bottle-conditioned hefeweizen. However, in a quirky, regional dialect thing Wisconsin residents call a drinking fountain a bubbler. This article isn't exactly sure how that came about but it is definitely a thing. The beer label even has a nod to it.

Bubbler.jpg
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Definitely give the Staghorn a try. Not as sweet as the Sam Adams or other domestic versions that have taken over the market. I figured they were just crossing the border in either Kenosha or Beloit. Woodman's (in Madison at least) has a very good beer selection and cheaper prices.

I'm sure the Bubbler name was in part due to the effervescence in a bottle-conditioned hefeweizen. However, in a quirky, regional dialect thing Wisconsin residents call a drinking fountain a bubbler. This article isn't exactly sure how that came about but it is definitely a thing. The beer label even has a nod to it.

Bubbler.jpg
    They found the Woodman's just west of Kenosha to have a very good selection of NG products in April and found the Thumbprints and the large format fruit ales to be $2-3 cheaper than I paid at the brewery last fall. I even passed the "savings" on to fuse.

Nice find on the Bubbler name. Makes sense.

Other DFH notes:
    Sounds like a fun trip!

http://allaboutbeer.com/news/constel...uddha-brewery/

Son of a biscuit....

I think I may have had a funky buddha beer or two courtesy of devildeac.

This makes me sad.

Son of a biscuit...

This makes me sad.
    Makes me extra sad, as I have visited Funky Buddha's fantastic facility in South Florida. Sigh.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Son of a biscuit...

This makes me sad.
    From 12/27/15:

Floridian-Funky Buddha Brewery

Not much of a name considering some of the gems the marketing departments of breweries across the country come up with but a really fine session beer. Poured a slightly hazy, sunshine yellow-orange with a generous, foamy head, this unfiltered German-style hefeweizen is true to all things expected from the style. Banana, clove and orange messages to the olfactory department with tastes matching the aromas perfectly. Considering it's been in the 70s in NC for what seems like most of December, this made a nice session brew to sip in the afternoon while watching (and cussing at) The Pinstripe Bowl yesterday.

Story: Sometime in October (I think), I found out that windsor had made plans to attend the Pitt tailgate/game and, knowing the rep of a couple outstanding breweries in her zip code, I sheepishly asked her if she'd be a beer mule for fuse and me. I was stunned and humbled when she said what/how much do you want. After I quickly eliminated the thought of "truckload" from my thinking process, I said we'd be pleased with whatever/however many she brought. The final count was four 6ers and two 4 packs which we equally divided last week. I knew was quite an oenophile (and had an excellent wine steward and specialty store a few miles from her home, both of which she greatly trusted) and freely admitted she didn't know much about beer, she went in one day, found him (or the "beer guy") and said she had a couple beer knurds (aka knuckleheads) in NC who wanted some Florida only distribution beverages from excellent breweries (cough, cough: Cigar City and Funky Buddha) and she said he pointed (and pointed) and she bought (and bought) and made her delivery at the Pitt tailgate. If the remaining 5 different selections are of the quality of the first, then it'll be a treasure trove of delights from the Sunshine (and hurricane) State for which I can only say thank you many times over (and, of course, are you available for another delivery to a 2016 tailgate? ).

(Spoiler: The second one I had from the litter last PM was also very good. More later.)
    Only Funky Buddha review I could find and not one of their eclectic brews either.

From 12/27/15:

Only Funky Buddha review I could find and not one of their eclectic brews either.
    Post #10804 has a review of my November 2016 visit to their facility.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Post #10804 has a review of my November 2016 visit to their facility.
    And a fine review it was.

With Ballast Point as a comparison and their wide availability now in the Triangle (Triad?) areas, is there at least a small upside to Funky Buddha's sale to Constellation that will allow a nice assortment of their brews to make it to NC now?

Not sure if this discourages me from attempting a beer mile or not:

http://amp.newsobserver.com/living/f...153761919.html

Not sure if this discourages me from attempting a beer mile or not:

http://amp.newsobserver.com/living/f...153761919.html
    Good find. I saw this a couple weeks ago and tried to link it but was unable.

There'll be no beer mile for me.

Brieux Carré Brewing Co - New Orleans

Enjoyed a flight and a nice conversation with one of the employees of this new brewery on Frenchman Street.

Sampled a Witbier, ESB, Pale Ale, and Bière de Garde. All were above average beers. I took notes on my phone, but apparently didn't save them

I don't post often (enough) in this thread. So this may be old news. But I am enjoying the heck out of some Burial Beer Tin Cup Camp Stout.

Guinness, move over... Wow!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Someone needs to open a bottle shop in South Asheville.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I don't post often (enough) in this thread. So this may be old news. But I am enjoying the heck out of some Burial Beer Tin Cup Camp Stout.

Guinness, move over... Wow!
    I don't recall that beer being described/mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Someone needs to open a bottle shop in South Asheville.
    I thought Ingles had a great selection. Either you or ricks68 sent me a photo once of an entire wall of refrigerated beer from an Ingles.

Anyone tried Stone Ripper yet?