Page 669 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 16956961965966766866967067167971976911691669 ... LastLast
Results 13,361 to 13,380 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    devildeac, allow me to share with you the story of the Maine vacation and lobster.

When I was around 8, and my younger brother, 4, my family would vacation in Maine.

The co-op would serve both lobster fresh off the boat as well as hot dogs.

Initially, we wanted nothing to do with the "monsters" (say it out loud along with lobster in a kids voice), and my dad kept encouraging us to try it and my mom kept telling him to stop.

Eventually we figured out we liked lobster and graduated from a (guessing) fifty cent hot dog to a two dollar lobster. My mom knew we'd eventually figure out we liked lobster and the per meal cost would go up.

Anyway, on topic, a 12 oz Raspberry Tart or Belgian Red would disappear very rapidly in our house. The two things that make it last is a combination of the large format (we share) and the scarcity.

If I had eight 12oz Raspberry Tarts instead of two large format bottles, they'd likely be gone in 4 days instead of in the fridge for a month or two.

I'm willing to test that theory upon acquiisition of a large shipment of Raspberry Tart in a variety of sizes.

devildeac, I'd empathize with your "problem" except I find drinking beer with company is much more fun. The downside for the Ymm, Beer community is I rarely post/take notes if I am with a group of friends.
    Great story. Now I've got visions of hot dog buns, coarsely chopped crustaceans, diced celery and a dollop of mayonnaise dancing in my head .

Perhaps I was being a bit unfair/harsh/selfish talking about Mrs. dd, but she just hates beer and has for decades, even after tasting Raspberry Tart for the first time about 15 years ago and stating, "It's not bad but it's still tastes like beer." (said with the most sour, disapproving face as she could muster)

I hear ya on the 12 ounce bottles and will see what I can arrange (for test purposes, of course) in about 2 months regarding selection, sizes and quantities . The delivery service will have two 70ish pound labs to transport in a CRV but they travel well, generally in a back seat hammock/sling.

I also prefer tasting/trading/sharing with friends during which times I also rarely take notes. Mrs. dd just does not have any desire for sampling any beers at home except the New Glarus fruit ales, a highly admirable, loving trait. I can't wait to see what she thinks about my <sniff> last bottle (for now) of Serendipity next week .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Sat on the Sun King patio yesterday evening and had their Dubbel Vision. Outstanding brew, one of their bests. Easiest dubbel I've ever had to drink.
    Another great beer name, along with Foothills' Seeing Double IPA.

New Sarum Roundhouse Robust Porter

As mentioned upthread, the quality of the red ale made me want to try this one. From the brewer:

Black as the smoke from an old coal powered train and crafted with dark beer lovers in mind, this earthy full body porter hits you with caramel, chocolate, and toffee all while loads of hops are perfectly blended to produce a balanced beer anyone will relish.
    That may be a little over-the-top ("full body," especially, is a bit much), but the description is directionally correct, and it was a decent porter. It had a touch of bitterness on the aftertaste, and I'd probably guess the IBUs are in the 70's. ABV of 7.0%. I liked the red ale better, but this was good to try.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

This might be worth a taste just because...

"Funk-N-Delicious Series Aardbei (Strawberry) Strawberry Sour

• 6% ABV

• Oceanside Ale Works

• Oceanside, CA

Lambic Style Belgian Sour Blonde aged in Gewurztraminer and Johannesburg Riesling oak barrels with strawberries."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    As mentioned upthread, the quality of the red ale made me want to try this one. From the brewer:

That may be a little over-the-top ("full body," especially, is a bit much), but the description is directionally correct, and it was a decent porter. It had a touch of bitterness on the aftertaste, and I'd probably guess the IBUs are in the 70's. ABV of 7.0%. I liked the red ale better, but this was good to try.
    You talkin' about me?

2ef3e3f0f6567bbe0e7ecb6f79afb7ad--far-side-cartoons-far-side-comics.jpg

From 11/27/16:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Serendipity-New Glarus Brewing

I'll not often "steal" someone's (fuse's) review, but, in this case, everything fits. Perfectly. There was almost a fight at the dd household Friday night as the 3 original tasters added a 4th during the consumption of our 750 ml bottle of this as I found Mrs. dd pouring herself about 4-5 ounces of this and that's never done while fine, hand-crafted ales are being tasted. Never. I think she's sipped 4 ounces of beer in our blessed 39+ year marriage and, yes, it was the Raspberry Tart fuse mentioned above, which she referred to as "raspberry champagne." Serendipity was "not beer" in her words and tasted like a sweet, organic 100% juice blend of cherries and apples with a slight pucker from the Wisconsin cranberries. The Apple Ale (ratebeer 98) was a tough act to follow but this readily and easily surpassed it (ratebeer 100). There's one more bottle remaining and that'll be a Christmas tasting, if I can hide it from her that long .
    From last PM and now:

Serendipity-New Glarus Brewing

(Sub-titled as Happy Accident Fruit Ale. Really.)

From the label:

"Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!"

Well, they really oughtta stop this take as they've brewed this for years and I doubt there's been a drought every year in Wisconsin, unless we're talking early April, 2015 .

Pour was a hazy, ruby-amber with a fizzy, short-lived head. This really smells like a fruit juice blend and tastes like fruited champagne. There's apple and cherry sweetness and cranberry tartness, along with a bit of oaky/woody funk/sour. I'll guess IBUs around 10 and ABV about 5%. Mrs. dd got a full champagne flute tonight after a half serving last PM to be sure she still liked it but this time around. She did but preferred the Raspberry Tart slightly more. I have a new beer buddy ! A generous quantity of this will be delivered in early October by the devildeac midwest package service.

Question for tbyers:

Of the following seasonally available New Glarus brews, which ones would you request your delivery service to purchase (if available) should they be planning a trip to your zip code in the next 60 days?

1. Bubbler
    2. Dancing Man Wheat
    3. Berliner Weisse
    4. Staghorn Octoberfest
    5. Blacktop
    6. Cherry Stout
    7. Spotted Cow Grand Cru

Asking for a friend, of course.

From 2/7/17:

From 12/20/15:

From last night and tonight:

Curmudgeon (1/13/15)-Founders Brewing

Last night, six ounces of this was delicious as it warmed in an Alewerks snifter. Tonight, even after (wine) corking tightly for 24 hours, it tasted slightly oxidized and a bit flatter than yesterday. So, the lesson is probably age for less than 2 years and sip all 12 ounces slowly over one evening or share with friend.
    From last PM:

Curmudgeon Old Ale/Old Curmudgeon Ale (bottle dated 1/13/15)-Founders Brewing

My last bottle (sniff). Until the anticipated 2/2018 release.

Poured a muddy brown with a modest head that quickly became a rim in my Founders snifter. Oaky/woody aromas with earthy, herbal, rummy, brown sugary, molasses-y and dark, dried fruity tastes. IBUs of 50 and ABV at 9.8%, plenty boozy. This was still very good after more than 2.5 years in the bottle/cellar but likely was better a year ago. I did learn the lesson to sip all 12 ounces in the same night and the second night's serving is more likely to be flat and somewhat oxidized as I mentioned above.

New Sarum Old Stone House IPA

The third of three 12-ounce cans from New Sarum. Apparently named after the oldest building in Rowan County, this was what I would call a "right down the middle" IPA. Nothing that blows one away, but a really solid offering in this style. A blend of seven different hops, it pours a nice orange-brown color, with a fragrant off-white head to it. 7.8% ABV, and I'd guess the IBUs approach 90. A nice blend of citrus and pine. I'd drink more of this, for sure.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

http://draftmag.com/best-beers-of-the-week-081117/

Featuring not one but two Hardywood beers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGUoxBV0Tck

I can't help myself. I'd encourage you not to watch this Bud Light ad.

Haw River Rusted Plow special variant saison with cucumber, basil, and lime

Great nose- basil, straw, funk and some fresh cucumber

Wow, a real flavour explosion.

Almost too much at first to discern.
    Separates into a really acidic burst of lime, which washes into smooth and refreshing cucumber with a pretty hefty basil punch to finish. The underlying saison characteristics are overwhelmed by the other flavours, you can taste whispers of hay and funk.

I really regret not buying every bottle when I saw this, its that good.

Not that I keep track- this could be a top 5 beer of 2017 so far.

Highly recommended.

DFH Lupu-Luau
    "Boom ... so the nose is an absolute tropical party." - Sam Calagione. If you haven't tried Lupu-Luau yet, head to the Fish Finder at dogfish.com to help you track some down because nobody wants to miss this party! 🏝 #craftbeer #offcentered

Above quote grabbed from a DFH FB post.

The nose is supremely coconut / coconut cream.

Its an interesting blend of coconut and hops.

I really like coconut in beer. I wonder if a fruitier hop would make it better.
    Its been ages since I have had a DFH 60 minute- this tastes like 60 minute with coconut added.

Mixed opinion. Really wanted to rave about it, and the balance improved as it warmed. Glad I tried it, will likely try again.

http://draftmag.com/best-beers-of-the-week-081117/

Featuring not one but two Hardywood beers.
    I'm surprised either of those Hardywood beers would be available in August.

Another 0'fer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGUoxBV0Tck

I can't help myself. I'd encourage you not to watch this Bud Light ad.
    Then why'd you post it?

I guess I can't help myself either. Very interesting that their 4 ingredients were barley, rice, water and hops. First objection, your honor: rice is an adjunct and really doesn't belong in beer. Second objection: I thought yeast was (were?) needed to brew beer, too. Third: what about some of that @#$% you produce with -rita in the name. Pretty disingenuous. Almost like including academic integrity and unc sports in the same sentence.

Nice read. Fascinating that the old brewmaster for Elysian is back in business again, likely after a non-compete clause with InBev expired.

DFH Lupu-Luau
    "Boom ... so the nose is an absolute tropical party." - Sam Calagione. If you haven't tried Lupu-Luau yet, head to the Fish Finder at dogfish.com to help you track some down because nobody wants to miss this party! 🏝 #craftbeer #offcentered

Above quote grabbed from a DFH FB post.

The nose is supremely coconut / coconut cream.

Its an interesting blend of coconut and hops.

I really like coconut in beer. I wonder if a fruitier hop would make it better.
    Its been ages since I have had a DFH 60 minute- this tastes like 60 minute with coconut added.

Mixed opinion. Really wanted to rave about it, and the balance improved as it warmed. Glad I tried it, will likely try again.
    DFH is having a tasting at Bottle Revolution in Raleigh on Tuesday night. Looks like it'll be time to pick up my August beer club 4 pack, see if they have a special keg tapped and taste what they're sampling and hope this brew is one of them.

Question for tbyers:

Of the following seasonally available New Glarus brews, which ones would you request your delivery service to purchase (if available) should they be planning a trip to your zip code in the next 60 days?

1. Bubbler
    2. Dancing Man Wheat
    3. Berliner Weisse
    4. Staghorn Octoberfest
    5. Blacktop
    6. Cherry Stout
    7. Spotted Cow Grand Cru

Asking for a friend, of course.
    Highly recommend: Berliner Weisse is, like many NG beers, true to style. Slightly tart wheat beer. No fruit additions. If you like this style it's a great example. Staghorn Oktoberfest is, surprise, a really good true-to-style oktoberfest on par with Ayinger, Paulaner, and Hacker-Pschorr. Just enough sweetness to balance the roast and spiciness of the malt. Surprised you didn't pick up any of this on your Midwest Beer Odyssey. Been a few years since I had Blacktop, but I recall it being a really nice mix of roasty and hoppy.

Recommend: Cherry Stout sounds awesome. Never had it or seen it is the only reason it is not highly recommended. I think I will have to have my beer delivery service bring me some when they visit at the beginning of November.

???: Haven't had Dancing Man Wheat in a long time. Hefeweizen aren't one of my favorite beer styles but I'm sure it's good. As I just said hefe is not one of my favorite styles and I've never had Bubbler since its inception 3-4 years ago. Bonus points if you know what the name refers to. I am also not a big fan of cream ales. Had regular Spotted Cow many times and never really cared for it. Since it allows Dan Carey to make other amazing beers by accounting for over 40% of NG's yearly sales I can't be mad at it. I've never had Spotted Cow Grand Cru. My brother-in-law who feels similarly about regular Spotted Cow tried the Grand Cru and said it was a boozier, bigger version of the original. Not bad but nothing he would seek out again.

It's awesome that your relatives will drive up from the south side of Chicago to get you some New Glarus beers. My parents have to drive 2 min or at most 20 minutes to pick me up my fix. Enjoy!!
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Then why'd you post it?

I guess I can't help myself either. Very interesting that their 4 ingredients were barley, rice, water and hops. First objection, your honor: rice is an adjunct and really doesn't belong in beer. Second objection: I thought yeast was (were?) needed to brew beer, too. Third: what about some of that @#$% you produce with -rita in the name. Pretty disingenuous. Almost like including academic integrity and unc sports in the same sentence.
    Yeah, people make wort.

Yeast make beer.