Page 65 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667751151655651065 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

We had no Schlafly, but rather O'Fallon Pumpkin Ale at a debate party last night. It was swell. Best O'Fallon I've had, although I haven't tried their stuff.

I like Red Oak, but especially Red Oak Battlefield.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    new beer review-actually from last week-had to work the weekend so no adult beverages.

New Belgium 2 Below-not quite sure what to make of this one. It is golden and not brown like most winter offerings and somewhat resembles Fat Tire but with a bit more ABV(6.6%). It is dry-hopped giving it a bit more bite than Fat Tire but still quite smooth and very drinkable. Recommended to be served at 37 degrees. However, this temperature renders a flavorful ale like this, or many others, much like a coors or bud, just a cold beer. Would love to hear RockyMtDevil's, Throaty's or OhioGuy's take/s on this one.

And, with that, I become, hopefully, one 'Devil' of a poster and...
    Found this and decided it needed to be revived.

I agree with it pretty much top to bottom. The biscuity Fat Tire flavor is there but, unlike FT, it's not overwhelming. This is, as you indicated, attributable to it being dry hopped. It's also what makes this a beer I'd buy (I've been known to call FT a burger that's all bun).

Most importantly, this beer needs to warm. The flavor at fridge temp is actually terrible (especially the aftertaste). As it warms, the balance between the hops and malts become noticeable.

I'll echo devildeac's sentiments from last year's review: DevilAlumna and Throaty--and anyone else in NB's distribution area--we could use some additional reviews.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    We had no Schlafly, but rather O'Fallon Pumpkin Ale at a debate party last night. It was swell. Best O'Fallon I've had, although I haven't tried their stuff.

I like Red Oak, but especially Red Oak Battlefield.
    I am bringing the O'Fallon SMOKED PORTER to Brunchgate III. Ever had it?

I can't find the Schlafly and O'Fallon Pumpkin Ale here. Where in St. Louis can I find the OFallon Pumpkin brew?

World Wide Stout-Dogfish Head-Throw out all your expectations of a beer review here because the only way this resembles beer is the hops, yeast, water and barley. Mild hop nose. This is all roasted barley, with more barley and more barley. Nearly black. Pours smooth and almost "oily" with little carbonation that disappears quickly. Silky texture with flavors of dark, dried fruits (pretty figgy to me with raisins and dates, too). Molasses and licorice are prominent flavors here, too. Enjoyed in a red wine glass at nearly room temperature for about an hour last PM as a nightcap. 4 ounces was plenty, especially at about 20% ABV. Think port here and after dinner drink. This is a fabulous concoction. I have had this bottle probably 3-4 years (perhaps longer) and it is even smoother and more luscious now than several years ago when I bought the case at about $7 per 12 ounce bottle.

ATTN: rmd-if you or your dad can find a stash of these, purchase several and enjoy one this winter and lay the rest down for sipping over the next several years.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Smuttynose Robust Porter

The coffee flavor jumps to your taste buds before the beer hits your tongue. Most malty, low head, at least when served cold. Almost black through and through. Once into a few sips, the flavor really holds well, this is a beer you can slowly enjoy. Thick body, most certainly on my recommend list, and I will have no qualms buying a full 6 in the future.
    Just took another sip, damn that's good.

World Wide Stout-Dogfish Head-Throw out all your expectations of a beer review here because the only way this resembles beer is the hops, yeast, water and barley. Mild hop nose. This is all roasted barley, with more barley and more barley. Nearly black. Pours smooth and almost "oily" with little carbonation that disappears quickly. Silky texture with flavors of dark, dried fruits (pretty figgy to me with raisins and dates, too). Molasses and licorice are prominent flavors here, too. Enjoyed in a red wine glass at nearly room temperature for about an hour last PM as a nightcap. 4 ounces was plenty, especially at about 20% ABV. Think port here and after dinner drink. This is a fabulous concoction. I have had this bottle probably 3-4 years (perhaps longer) and it is even smoother and more luscious now than several years ago when I bought the case at about $7 per 12 ounce bottle.

ATTN: rmd-if you or your dad can find a stash of these, purchase several and enjoy one this winter and lay the rest down for sipping over the next several years.
    I haven't seen this around. But, I'm going to be in Columbus next weekend (scored tickets to the Penn State-Ohio State game) and I'll ask my dad if he's seen it or can get his hands on some.

Sounds delicious and something that I need to stash away for a few years

Happy Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I know we've got some beer-o-philes on the board, and we're now deep into the drink-beer, watch-sports fall season. So, question to the group --

What's your favorite beer, for what event/food/occasion?

I tried out Moose Drool's brown ale yesterday, at a barbeque where the MLB playoffs were on in the background. It was a nice beer, a bit heavy for the ribs, though. The Black Butte porter went well with the brownies later on.

Fat Tire is our 'household' standard, and tastes great after a day on the slopes while recovering in the hottub.

Busch Light will always hold a special place in my heart (if not my palate) and I usually trend towards the light stuff during Duke bball games.
    I intended to note this at the 1st of the month but overlooked it last week. Happy Belated 1 year Anniversary to the Ymm Beer thread! Many thanks to DA for starting this and all the hoppy, malty contributors over the last 12 months. From the "Drool," Fat Tire and the Deschutes Brewing Company Black Butte Porter to Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout and 120 Minute IPA, we have hoisted a few glasses over the last year. Keep sipping those fine hand-crafted ales and keep posting.

I intended to note this at the 1st of the month but overlooked it last week. Happy Belated 1 year Anniversary to the Ymm Beer thread! Many thanks to DA for starting this and all the hoppy, malty contributors over the last 12 months. From the "Drool," Fat Tire and the Deschutes Brewing Company Black Butte Porter to Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout and 120 Minute IPA, we have hoisted a few glasses over the last year. Keep sipping those fine hand-crafted ales and keep posting.
    The irony (may not actually be irony; I wasn't an English major at Duke) is that the this thread started with beers I don't like. Not a fan of Moose Drool and am indifferent to Fat Tire. Never had Black Butte, but do enjoy other beers by them (Mirror Pond comes to mind). Busch Light? Didn't even enjoy it at Duke--preferred the Colorado Kool Aid.

Nonetheless, happy anniversary beer drinkers. For me, the beauty of this thread is that I actually branch out from super hoppy APAs and IPAs and IIPAs.

But, I have to ask: where's Ohioguy been? We need some thoughts on Great Lakes autumn/winter brews. And Mal? We had a great review a few weeks ago and nothing since.

...and I'm still excited to hear CameronBornAndBred's thoughts on the black wheat (I'm actually waiting to read that before I purchase a black wheat for myself).

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    The irony (may not actually be irony; I wasn't an English major at Duke) is that the this thread started with beers I don't like. Not a fan of Moose Drool and am indifferent to Fat Tire. Never had Black Butte, but do enjoy other beers by them (Mirror Pond comes to mind). Busch Light? Didn't even enjoy it at Duke--preferred the Colorado Kool Aid.

Nonetheless, happy anniversary beer drinkers. For me, the beauty of this thread is that I actually branch out from super hoppy APAs and IPAs and IIPAs.

But, I have to ask: where's Ohioguy been? We need some thoughts on Great Lakes autumn/winter brews. And Mal? We had a great review a few weeks ago and nothing since.

...and I'm still excited to hear CameronBornAndBred's thoughts on the black wheat (I'm actually waiting to read that before I purchase a black wheat for myself).
    I enjoy the Drool 'cuz I like brown ales in general with the smoothness and maltiness they have. I think sometime in the last 12 months I had written that I like FT (lack of availability in NC makes the heart and palate grow fonder), but enjoy several other NB products better. The Deschutes folks have a very solid line of products year round. Their Obsidian Stout is a delicious brew.

Lavabe has the Great Lakes products available in Lexington so he'll review one now and then. We both reviewed Nosferatu last month in a very enjoyable fashion.

There will be a slew of reviews in the next several days as I believe quite a variety of beverages will be at BG3 today and I will bring about 12 different ales to BG3 for sampling. (note: other folks are doing all the cooking and food preps so I "volunteeered" some of the liquid refreshment). If folks sip, remember and type tonight and tomorrow after the FB (and BB!) games, we should fill a few pages here.

SlimSlowSlider has also typed some good reviews and I miss his thoughts and tastings, too.

More tonight and/or tomorrow.

a TGIF beer!

Had a Schlafly's Oktoberfest (tap) last night at The Scottish Arms. I'm not a beer conoisseur, but I liked it. First beer I remember tasting that I actually liked. Must try more Schlafly's!

I must say, it's been a week. Hope it hasn't been as crazy for the rest of you!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Had a Schlafly's Oktoberfest (tap) last night at The Scottish Arms. I'm not a beer conoisseur, but I liked it. First beer I remember tasting that I actually liked. Must try more Schlafly's!

I must say, it's been a week. Hope it hasn't been as crazy for the rest of you!
    Try their Oatmeal Stout. And their Pumpkin Ale. And their, oh, never mind, you have the general idea...

Great Divide-Fresh Hop Pale Ale

This is Great Divide's fresh, or wet, hopped beer. For those interested, this means that the hops are added to the beer very shortly after harvest (within 24 hours) and before they are dried out. These tend to be seasonal releases right after the harvest, and, I've been told, they don't age well at all. In other words, buy it and drink it. The result is a very clean, natural hop flavor but, perhaps, one not as bitter as a dry hopped ale. Another example of this style is Sierra Nevada's Harvest Ale.

Great Divide's is very grassy and citrusy. Grapefruit and pine, but not cannabis. It also has a pretty dominant malt sweetness, which surprised me, and a tartness that is prevalent throughout. The best part is the aroma--very fresh and earthy; makes me think of spring, even though these beers are released in the fall. Moderate IBUs of 55 (moderate as far as Pale Ales go, especially American Pale Ales) and a drinkable 6% ABV.

If you can get your hands on a fresh hopped beer, give it a try. My environmentalist side likes the idea of drinking a beer that is made from stuff right out of the ground in its natural state

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen

I'm sad to say I was seriously unthrilled. It was a big bottle, too. The best thing I can say about it was the beer has longevity...I fell asleep after a few sips (not a good sign in itself) and when I woke up this morning the beer was still producing some suds. Other than that, for a dark beer, this one lacked body and flavor. I'm pretty sure my own brew will stand up much better than this experience, but unfortunately for my first store buy, I was left longing.

Thumbs up

This is your mission. You MUST try Schlafly's, LIVE. I am addicted to the Oatmeal Stout on draught. And the Pumpkin Ale is solid.

Try the Schlafly Tap Room.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Looking like tonight will be an Imperial Pumpkin Ale and some donuts () as I organize my thoughts and tastings from the day for some descriptions/musings tomorrow.

Looking like tonight will be an Imperial Pumpkin Ale and some donuts () as I organize my thoughts and tastings from the day for some descriptions/musings tomorrow.
    After looking in my cooler, I don't know where to start. Thanks all for the beer exchange...I'm holding out on DD's barleywine until tonite, when I have a couch to sit on and a proper glass to drink from.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    After looking in my cooler, I don't know where to start. Thanks all for the beer exchange...I'm holding out on DD's barleywine until tonite, when I have a couch to sit on and a proper glass to drink from.
    Hope you remembered those bad boys were 10-11% ABV and consumed one (and one only) at the end of the evening. Near a bed. Ready for sleep.

Hope you remembered those bad boys were 10-11% ABV and consumed one (and one only) at the end of the evening. Near a bed. Ready for sleep.
    That will be tonite...or today during a football game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    This is your mission. You MUST try Schlafly's, LIVE. I am addicted to the Oatmeal Stout on draught. And the Pumpkin Ale is solid.

Try the Schlafly Tap Room.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Actually, I've been to the Schlafly Tap Room. I'd like to go back sometime. Yours is the second recommendation for the Oatmeal Stout (must be a family thing; the first recommendation came from Devildeac). Would really like to try the Pumpkin Ale. I'll report back when I do!

Actually, I've been to the Schlafly Tap Room. I'd like to go back sometime. Yours is the second recommendation for the Oatmeal Stout (must be a family thing; the first recommendation came from Devildeac). Would really like to try the Pumpkin Ale. I'll report back when I do!
    Excellent, another beer hunter on the thread.