Page 64 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566741141645641064 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Had the Red Brick Ale several years ago and that's a pretty similar memory of what I have. Sometimes the XS head means a spoiled beer. Did it taste skunky or cardboard-y at all?
    Nope, seemed very fresh, and I wouldn't expect less from this store. (They even have a basket with the "get out of here beer" on sale to remove the shelf sitters.)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Home Brew Scotch Ale

Had to pop a top tonite and try my homebrew scotch. Still hazy in the bottle, which I have no problem with, I would be dissapointed if it weren't. On the pour, it was quick with a head that went flat fairly soon; once again this was expected. Nice hiss when I popped the top, so it is fermenting and aging well like it should.
    The aroma was good, really better than I thought it would be at this point. The taste is very pleasing, almost nutty. The hoppiness sits on your tongue for a long while between sips. All bodes well for a real nice beer after a proper bottle aging, I'm excited, at this point I predict it will be on my list of must-brew-agains.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Had to pop a top tonite and try my homebrew scotch. Still hazy in the bottle, which I have no problem with, I would be dissapointed if it weren't. On the pour, it was quick with a head that went flat fairly soon; once again this was expected. Nice hiss when I popped the top, so it is fermenting and aging well like it should.
    The aroma was good, really better than I thought it would be at this point. The taste is very pleasing, almost nutty. The hoppiness sits on your tongue for a long while between sips. All bodes well for a real nice beer after a proper bottle aging, I'm excited, at this point I predict it will be on my list of must-brew-agains.
    Tantalizing.

Ella Rose Porter-Mishawaka Brewing-If you are in northern Indiana, don't bother with this one. Dark brown but not much like any porter I've ever had. Little, if any chocolate tones and no coffee tones, either. Little head. Sour. Had 1/2 a bomber tonite and not sure I'll have the other 1/2 tomorrow.

Where's the "ycchh, beer" thread when I need it?

How much longer until it's ready to go? I'm eagerly awaiting a review of your black wheat beer as I've never had one.

Extra ESB-Breckenridge Brewery-2nd chance review-not much better than the 1st. Modest maltiness and smoothness. Very mild hop presence with no floral or citrus tones (wouldn't really expect any with an ESB). Rather bland. Overall, a disappointing specialty series ale from a brewery I generally like a lot (Oatmeal Stout, 471 IIPA, Vanilla Porter, Amber).

Extra ESB-Breckenridge Brewery-2nd chance review-not much better than the 1st. Modest maltiness and smoothness. Very mild hop presence with no floral or citrus tones (wouldn't really expect any with an ESB). Rather bland. Overall, a disappointing specialty series ale from a brewery I generally like a lot (Oatmeal Stout, 471 IIPA, Vanilla Porter, Amber).
    I was at the brewery on Friday afternoon (great smoked chicken wings!) entertaining some friends in for GABF and had this beer for the first time. I agree, it wasn't anything to write home about. I switched to 471 IIPA for my second beer.

I won't provide a review because I think I already did last year, but got my first NB 2-Below sixer tonight. Crisp, cool autumn night in Denver, so this should go down well.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    How much longer until it's ready to go? I'm eagerly awaiting a review of your black wheat beer as I've never had one.
    You and me both on that one. It's a big bottle, so I'm saving it until Friday. Hopefully it will give me a good idea of what's in my bucket. I'll be bottling my black next weekend, another 2 weeks in the bottle from what I've read until good times. But I'll be trying it long before then. We will be drinking it before the victory is rung in Wade for sure.
    We'll be tasting the scotch at brunchgate this weekend, and a few will be going off to other houses besides mine, so I'm looking forward to those reviews after it's aged well.

I'll provide a top notch review tomorrow of the Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout, just so folks don't think I'm in a p!ssy mood about ales this week. I found FOUR "cellared" (actually, in this case LOST) bottles tonight and have enjoyed a snifter immensely over the last hour or so.

I won't provide a review because I think I already did last year, but got my first NB 2-Below sixer tonight. Crisp, cool autumn night in Denver, so this should go down well.
    What is your beer for the time of year? General question here. I love a wheat in the summer, stout in the winter, crisp pale in the spring. In the fall, I'm ambivalent, and will go for most anything. But my buds are thinking about the cider I'll be brewing soon. (Tasty on Turkey Day)

What is your beer for the time of year? General question here. I love a wheat in the summer, stout in the winter, crisp pale in the spring. In the fall, I'm ambivalent, and will go for most anything. But my buds are thinking about the cider I'll be brewing soon. (Tasty on Turkey Day)
    Summer-wheats, pale ales, IPAs, pilsners
    Fall-brown ales, pumpkin ales, porters and stouts
    Winter-winter specialties, barleywines, porters and stouts
    Spring-bocks, double bocks, Belgian goldens/triples

Bottle Requistiton

I was just thinking, as I tend to do drinking good ale, that anyone who wants to help piss off my wife and contribute bottles will be most remembered when the bottles are filled. If you have any that are not twist offs, bring em to BG3, and I'll do my best to bring them back to BG4 or 5 filled. (My wife loves all of my beer bottles, in case you didn't notice). Clear bottles need not apply.

Summer-wheats, pale ales, IPAs, pilsners
    Fall-brown ales, pumpkin ales, porters and stouts
    Winter-winter specialties, barleywines, porters and stouts
    Spring-bocks, double bocks, Belgian goldens/triples
    I'm slack...I have never tried a barleywine.

I'm slack...I have never tried a barleywine.
    You will grow new taste buds after I bring one or two on Saturday.

You will grow new taste buds after I bring one or two on Saturday.
    Is Old Crustacean worth the $18 price tag? I usually revert to Old Ruffian or Hog Heaven, which are $7 or so for a bomber.

Is Old Crustacean worth the $18 price tag? I usually revert to Old Ruffian or Hog Heaven, which are $7 or so for a bomber.
    Holy crap that price has gone up! I used to find them in ponies or "nips" when I would visit my parents/brother in Portland. They were $2-2.50 each, but that was about 10 years ago. They stopped making the 7 ouncers and made some in 12 ounce bottles (IIRC for a couple years or so) for about $3-4. Those fancy-arse ceramic, sealable bottles were about $12 when they first came out a couple years ago. I did not realize they had gone up to that price. I would buy 1 bottle and enjoy it over a couple nights to say you had one of the early (original?) barleywines. Plus, it's one of the highest IBUs of any on that list you linked a week or two ago. That alone might tempt you to sample one.

Speaking of Trippels, and New Belgium Brewery, just had one of theirs (well, two, actually) tonight. First time trying it, and man, was it yummy. Not too heavy, a bit sweet, smooth - I'm looking forward to polishing off the sixpack. Now I'm torn - I love Fat Tire, but Trippel may win out in a taste test. I look forward to hearing RMD's review of the Two Below.

It was also quite the nice companion to some crabcakes and mixed field greens salad.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Speaking of Trippels, and New Belgium Brewery, just had one of theirs (well, two, actually) tonight. First time trying it, and man, was it yummy. Not too heavy, a bit sweet, smooth - I'm looking forward to polishing off the sixpack. Now I'm torn - I love Fat Tire, but Trippel may win out in a taste test. I look forward to hearing RMD's review of the Two Below.

It was also quite the nice companion to some crabcakes and mixed field greens salad.
    Why be torn? Enjoy them both.

Why be torn? Enjoy them both.
    But that would require drinking Fat Tire

I enjoy Trippel quite a bit. In all honesty, I like everything NB makes except Blue Paddle (don't do Pilsners). I've started seeing big bottles of La Folie in liquor stores which is nice. That's a good one to share with friends.

But that would require drinking Fat Tire

I enjoy Trippel quite a bit. In all honesty, I like everything NB makes except Blue Paddle (don't do Pilsners). I've started seeing big bottles of La Folie in liquor stores which is nice. That's a good one to share with friends.
    I have several pilsner suggestions that might change your mind:

Prima Pils-Victory Brewing
    Tuppers Hop Pocket Pils (I think)-Legend Brewing(?)
    Pilsner Urquell-draft ONLY, not the bottled swill
    Imperial Pilsner-Rogue Brewing (well, that's kinda cheating but it is a pils and it is hoppy/floral and tasty)

I never knew the La Folie was available in stores-I thought that was a brewery only product.