Page 637 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 13753758762763563663763863964768773711371637 ... LastLast
Results 12,721 to 12,740 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Hip Hop Beatbock-Baderbrau Tap and Kitchen

Sixty four ounce pitcher courtesy of the friendly old drunk at the bar, shared four ways but not finished, plus a 3.5 ounce part of the 10 beer sampler.

This one was a Maibock/May Bock/Helles Bock. I had to learn the differences as I'm not that sophisticated. (read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bock)

"The maibock style, also known as helles bock or heller bock, is a helles lager brewed to bock strength; therefore, still as strong as traditional bock, but lighter in colour and with more hop presence. It is a fairly recent development compared to other styles of bock beers, frequently associated with springtime and the month of May. Colour can range from deep gold to light amber with a large, creamy, persistent white head, and moderate to moderately high carbonation, while alcohol content ranges from 6.3% to 7.4% by volume. The flavour is typically less malty than a traditional bock, and may be drier, hoppier, and more bitter, but still with a relatively low hop flavour, with a mild spicy or peppery quality from the hops, increased carbonation and alcohol content. The following commercial products are indicative of the style: Ayinger Maibock, Mahr’s Bock, Hacker-Pschorr Hubertus Bock, Capital Maibock, Einbecker Mai-Urbock, Hofbräu Maibock, Victory St. Boisterous, Gordon Biersch Blonde Bock, Smuttynose Maibock, Old Dominion Brewing Company Big Thaw Bock, [Brewery 85's Quittin' Time], Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Franconia Brewing Company Maibock Ale, Church Street maibock, and Tröegs Cultivator."

Pour was a slightly cloudy, dark amber with a moderate, foamy head. Earthy and herbal nose with toasted, wheat-bready tastes, some dark brown sugar sweetness and mild bitterness. I'll guess IBUs around 30 and the ABV was 6.9%, their highest ABV on the chalkboard. Nice pairing with my Reuben.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Velociradler-Baderbrau Tap and Kitchen

Great name. Interesting beer.

As the name implies, it's of the Radler (German for cyclist) variety, meaning a blend of a lighter beer (pilsner or wheat beer) and a soda, typically lemon. It's the German version of a shandy, and don't anyone dare mention Leinenkugel's!

Their version uses kumquat juice (WTH?) and it's about as expected, a cloudy pour with a small, thin, rapidly disappearing head. Sour/vinegar-y scents and pucker-y, yet mildly sweet and fruity tastes. I'd have never guessed kumquat if it hadn't been printed on the menu . Perhaps nectarine? IBUs nearly non-existent at 5 (no typo) with a comparably low ABV at 3.1% . Those wacky Germans.

Berliner Weisse-Baderbrau Tap and Kitchen

More sour beer!

Lots of wheat malt (but no unc references ), a bottom-fermenting yeast and Lactobacillus cultures make for a somewhat cloudy, yellow-straw pour with a small, thin, fizzy head, some sour/vinegar-y aromas and mildly astringent, funky tastes. I'll guess IBUs around 10 (it's sour, not bitter), and the ABV is appropriately low at 3.6%. Not a bad pairing with the Reuben I'm still nibbling.

Lawnmower Lager-Baderbrau Tap and Kitchen

Almost done sampling .

"Drink now, mow later."

Pour was a light gold with a modest head. Floral aromas with some fruity and grassy (not that kind !) hoppy notes and surprising moderate bitterness, and some biscuit/bread tastes, this also paired reasonably with the Reuben. IBUs higher than I thought at 38 with ABV at 5.5%. This made a tasty pairing with a section/shared of their Mac N Cheese waffle, topped with a generous amount of bacon.

Wind Chill-Baderbrau Tap and Kitchen

We're done here.

Listed as a dry-hopper Helles, the color was pale straw, the head small, the aromas floral and the tastes mildly bitter and lightly malty/grainy. Why they call this Wind Chill and have it as their special, limited winter release in early June beats the #$%^ outta me. The IBUs guess is 20 based on the style and tasting, but I've had the better part of 3 beers by now, and the ABV is fairly reliable, I guess, as it's listed at 4.8% on the menu. I think I'm tasting a chicken sammich and/or a brat by now and my limited recall seems to declare it was a good pairing.

Celebration a few days too early begun with Blue Mountain Dark Hollow BBA Imperial Stout.

Closed with a Raspberry Tart...(drops the mic)

From 4/25/17:

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yowsa! A 12-ounce can will set you back a pretty penny (or 699 of them), but the last one at Stella was totally worth it. 13% ABV and a triple-digit (125) IBU. But, damn, the whisky barrel aging is awesome. Super-boozy, but wonderful chocolate notes. Pricey, but worth it. A really awesome beer.
    From last PM:

Night Jump-Aviator Brewing Company

I'm pretty sure there's not much to add to this short, succinct and totally on target review. I'd have never thought 125 IBUs. The whiskey and cocoa/chocolate are an amazing combination. I don't care if we're nearing the summer solstice, this was outstanding from my Goose Island Bourbon County Stout snifter, sipped over almost an hour as a nightcap. Quite pleased to have 3 more of these and, at only 500 pennies per 12 ounce can and bought at the Aviator Smokehouse last month, I got quite a deal. I'd have likely never bought this without remembering Tripping William's review.

From 5/16/15:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    White Zombie-Catawba Brewing

Small sample as I left the hotel yesterday for an afternoon walk. Didn't want to get dehydrated in the warm, humid mountain air. It's a Belgian wit style ale, aka a Belgian single. That means it's a fairly light colored and bodied brew with a cloudy yellow-straw hue and pleasant bouquet of citrus and flowers. Spiced and flavored with orange peel and coriander as many singles are, this had little hop bite (IBUs likely 10-20 range) and slightly sweet, citrusy and spicy flavors with the ABV at 5.1%. This is their signature beer and I'd rather have a Hoeegarden (sp?), but it was a nice "thirst quencher" before a vigorous walk.
    From tonight:

White Zombie-Catawba Brewing

A 12 ounce can kindly gifted to me this evening from our part-time office nurse, a few days prior to my birthday celebration.

Pretty similar thoughts/tastes to over 2 years ago. A good, but not outstanding offering in a somewhat crowded field. Provided nice hydration prior to a warm, humid walk this evening. The Sour Zombie at the Catawba barrel room was more intriguing.

Vienna Lager-Nicklepoint Brewing Company

Drink indigenous!

Another 12 ounce can gifted to me from our part-time nurse tonight from a 3 year old Raleigh brewery in the Five Points area (see what I/they did there?). Pretty true to style and very close to the Marzen style. Pour was a light amber with a moderate head that lasted briefly. Light earthy and herbal aromas with whole wheat, light brown sugar and honey flavors with quite mild Euro hops bitterness. Checks in at 5.1% ABV and 24 IBUs. Finishing this up now as I post and thinking this would pair nicely with a burger, a grilled chicken sandwich or a BLT on some toasted 12 grain bread.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Celebration a few days too early begun with Blue Mountain Dark Hollow BBA Imperial Stout.

Closed with a Raspberry Tart...(drops the mic)
    You are celebrating a wee bit early. I'll have to pull something special from the storage unit tomorrow night to celebrate a couple days early, too, or save my celebration until Monday night as I get the pleasure of being on call for the birthday/Father's Day weekend .

You are celebrating a wee bit early. I'll have to pull something special from the storage unit tomorrow night to celebrate a couple days early, too, or save my celebration until Monday night as I get the pleasure of being on call for the birthday/Father's Day weekend .
    Sierra Nevada has been kind enough to put together some sort of beer camp in our honour.

I'll be "camping" Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Sierra Nevada has been kind enough to put together some sort of beer camp in our honour.

I'll be "camping" Saturday.
    A wee bit of jealousy as you get to celebrate for several days before and most of the special day on Saturday. Full report Sunday? Monday? All next week? I'll have to settle for a 12 back when they're released.

Annual Events

Hmm, seems like there may be more than one recurring annual event there.
    Weren't you on call last year, also?

Didn't they get the memo?

Have a happy multiple event weekend anyway!
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Hmm, seems like there may be more than one recurring annual event there.
    Weren't you on call last year, also?

Didn't they get the memo?

Have a happy multiple event weekend anyway!
    Keep those recurring annual events coming!

I may well have been on call for the 2016 event, too. No memo sent.

Already pondering ale choice/s for tonight and Monday.

Also awaiting multitudes of live/webcam reviews from fuse's "camping" experience on Saturday.

I hope I don't get slammed for rumor-mongering, as I cannot find a "mainstream media" link to this, but I'm seeing some buzz on social media (sponsored posts in my Facebook feed) that Deshutes is beginning draft distribution in NC, like, tomorrow, with bottle distribution coming in August. Probably being sourced from their brewing facility in Roanoke, if I had to guess.

Oh, wait! A link or two:

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/e...-nc/346076001/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300457386.html
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I hope I don't get slammed for rumor-mongering, as I cannot find a "mainstream media" link to this, but I'm seeing some buzz on social media (sponsored posts in my Facebook feed) that Deshutes is beginning draft distribution in NC, like, tomorrow, with bottle distribution coming in August. Probably being sourced from their brewing facility in Roanoke, if I had to guess.
    I will totally support this type of rumor-mongering!

However, I thought their brewery in Roanoke was not scheduled to open until 2019ish.

I'd greatly enjoy falling into an Abyss on this "rumor."

I will totally support this type of rumor-mongering!

However, I thought their brewery in Roanoke was not scheduled to open until 2019ish.

I'd greatly enjoy falling into an Abyss on this "rumor."
    You're right. The stuff I linked says 2020 for the 'Noke facility. My bad. And this wasn't even a beer-induced failing.

You're right. The stuff I linked says 2020 for the 'Noke facility. My bad. And this wasn't even a beer-induced failing.
    Might be a beer-induced-tripping, though!
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Might be a beer-induced-tripping, though!
    That's induced by tequila drinking.

Keep those recurring annual events coming!

I may well have been on call for the 2016 event, too. No memo sent.

Already pondering ale choice/s for tonight and Monday.

Also awaiting multitudes of live/webcam reviews from fuse's "camping" experience on Saturday.
    Not sure there will be much note taking...

Will share what I recall or perhaps try random facetime calls