Page 620 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 12052057061061861962062162263067072011201620 ... LastLast
Results 12,381 to 12,400 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I guess. However, I'll guess they made several truckloads of $$$ as a result of 5 years of their arduous labors, so good for them.

Didn't realize AB also owned Breckenridge and Devil's Backbone.
    Thought I linked the DB purchase by AB. I was told by a local craft brewery owner AB paid about $70M for it. Nice payday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Secured during my trip to Barrel Chest in Roanoke last month, this beer is part of Hardywood's "Barrel Series." From the brewer:

Poured with a thicker head than I would have guessed, and it lingered a while. (I confess, though, that I probably opened it a tad on the warm side.) I also think the listed IBU of 55 seems low; it tasted more bitter than that. I didn't get any blueberry hints, either, but the coffee and whiskey flavors blended really well. Use caution, though: At 10.3% ABV, it'll hit ya!

Another really good beer from Hardywood.

And, speaking of, I saw that they are entering into some kind of collaboration with Funky Buddha. Ah, yes, there it is. Nice!
    I've seen/read those blueberry/coffee/stout connections/flavors before and I don't get it much (if at all) either.

I've read the description of the beer you just reviewed and it sounded wonderful. Nice find. I might have to request that a beer mule I know in Richmond embark on a beer-hunting expedition soon . In fact, he might even have the post following Tripping William's on this thread and be volunteering in advance or reading my (feeble) mind.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Thought I linked the DB purchase by AB. I was told by a local craft brewery owner AB paid about $70M for it. Nice payday.
    That is even more than Oskar Blues paid for Cigar City ($60M?), IIRC, from an article linked here recently (fuse?).

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300450379.html

Argh.

Guess the Asheville crew was right, perhaps Wicked Weed was built to be sold.
    The guy who funded WW was basically Scrooge McDuck. He traded a giant pile of money for an even bigger pile of money.

Folks I know around here were talking about this all day - most worried about trickle down effect of other big boys swooping into town and buying up locals.

I feel like it would be a better story if it were a tiny local guy who cashed in, but it's hard to feel great about any part of this story from my perspective.

DevilsNightmare-200x300.jpg

"AVAILABLE Nov 2017!"

Listed at 14.99% ABV.

Wonder why?

Is it November yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The guy who funded WW was basically Scrooge McDuck. He traded a giant pile of money for an even bigger pile of money.

Folks I know around here were talking about this all day - most worried about trickle down effect of other big boys swooping into town and buying up locals.

I feel like it would be a better story if it were a tiny local guy who cashed in, but it's hard to feel great about any part of this story from my perspective.
    D9 Brewing's Intagram account has a pretty scathing post about this acquisition. Money quote:

We are all worse for this acquisition. Not because we are losing a partner in the fight for craft beer, but because we're gaining another enemy. And not just any enemy, but a nefarious enemy that will seek to confuse craft consumers into thinking that they're supporting a local business.
    Ouch!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

D9 Brewing's Intagram account has a pretty scathing post about this acquisition. Money quote:

Ouch!
    No Asheville residents will be confused, and Asheville can be a bit rowdy when the Buy Local crowd gets motivated.

Ouch!

That is indeed quite scathing.

Ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    No Asheville residents will be confused, and Asheville can be a bit rowdy when the Buy Local crowd gets motivated.
    D9 is probably more worried about the Cornelius/Lake Norman/Charlotte crowd being confused.

Cap'n Ahab reeled in another white whale...

Three Floyds Zombie Dust

Smells like orange and grass.

Old school bitter reaches out and grabs you by the tongue.
    Aggressive, I like it.

There is a brief flash of citrus/orange amidst the forest of hops.

Bitter, bitter, bitter and I could not be enjoying it more.

Cheers to devildeac and his emerging side hustle as a beer wholesaler and distributor.

Three Floyds Zombie Dust

Aggressive, I like it.

Cheers to devildeac and his emerging side hustle as a beer wholesaler and distributor.
    You think that's hoppy/bitter at 50 IBUs? Ha!

Wait'll you see/smell/taste the new bombers I have for you from FFF...

And the ABV won't be too shabby either...

You think that's hoppy/bitter at 50 IBUs? Ha!

Wait'll you see/smell/taste the new bombers I have for you from FFF...

And the ABV won't be too shabby either...
    I have come to the conclusion that IBU is an imperfect measure.

Newer, fruitier hops can be "high IBU" and yet far less bitter than maybe something like a Cascade hopped beer with a similar IBU rating.

There's no data or science behind my statement- just gut feel/ opinion.

I have come to the conclusion that IBU is an imperfect measure.

Newer, fruitier hops can be "high IBU" and yet far less bitter than maybe something like a Cascade hopped beer with a similar IBU rating.

There's no data or science behind my statement- just gut feel/ opinion.
    Bell's Brewery agrees with you (so you're in great company) as somewhere in the last year or so I read that they don't publish/print the IBUs on their brews because they have thoughts very similar to yours. Or, in my words, "bitterness is in the eye/palate of the be(er)holder." (bad, dd, bad )

From 2/24/17:

Head Hunter (draft)-Fat Head's Brewery

From Tripping William's link above to the best IPA by state in the USA. This was the winner in Ohio.

Pour was a light gold in a pint glass. Modest, fluffy head with citrusy aromas and piney, Juicyfruit tastes of grapefruit, orange, peach and mango with a bit of honey. It's toeing the line of IPA/IIPA with IBUs of 87 and ABV of 7.5%. Paired very well with a plate of Cajun chicken, dirty rice with sausage and bacon and a side of fire-roasted corn. I'd definitely buy a 4 pack of these for sipping, sharing and trading. Here's the ingredients:

HOPS: Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial
    MALT: Pale, CaraMalt, C-15, Cara-Pils

It won some awards, too:

SILVER AWARD 2012 • 2014
    WORLD BEER CUP® AMERICAN-STYLE IPA
    SILVER MEDAL 2010 • BRONZE MEDAL 2011
    GREAT AMERICAN BEER FESTIVAL®
    AMERICAN STYLE IPA

Quite the IPA/IIPA night with dinner.
    From tonight:

Head Hunter (bottled on 3/11/17)-Fat Head's Brewery

Well, our son found it, bought it and delivered it several weeks ago and 2 were included in fuse's recent delivery, so waiting to read what his hop-o-meter thinks about this one...

Best in O-HI-O? I'm not sure but I'd greatly enjoy a DIPA tasting sometime in Columbus or Cleveland to side-by-side this with Bodhi, Great Lake's Lake Erie Monster and Chillwave.

Pretty similar appearance to the draft but my grapefruit and pineapple sensors are on high alert tonight and the peachy/mango-y receptors a bit less prominent. There's no honey added as Hopslam does but the finish is mildly sweet. There's a bit of oiliness (?) and resin on the palate, too, more evidence that fresher-er is better-er, especially with this style. No food pairing tonight but Bodhi is up next, ASSuming I can stay awake long enough to finish another 12 ounces .

Three Floyds Zombie Dust

Aggressive, I like it.

I've found (and this is the only beer I do this with) if I'm drinking Zombie Dust out of the bottle, it's taste better to let it sit for a few minutes and warm up just a tad. Not warm by any means, but not straight out of the fridge cold either.

Ermal's-Warped Wing Brewing Company

A 4 pack of pint cans delivered 2 weeks ago by our son. Not one of his better efforts/choices but not bad and a rather interesting one with both tastes and story .

A bit of history about Ermal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_can

The things one learns while drinking beer. I never knew this:

"In 1959, Ermal Fraze devised a can-opening method that would come to dominate the canned beverage market. His invention was the "pull-tab". This eliminated the need for a separate opener tool by attaching an aluminum pull-ring lever with a rivet to a pre-scored wedge-shaped tab section of the can top. The ring was riveted to the center of the top, which created an elongated opening large enough that one hole simultaneously served to let the beverage flow out while air flowed in. In 1959, while on a family picnic, Mr. Fraze had forgotten to bring a can opener and was forced to use a car bumper to open a can of beer. Thinking there must be an easier way, he later stayed up all night until he came up with the pull tab."

It's described as a Belgian style cream ale brewed with spices. Poured a mildly cloudy, but not chunky, yellow-orange into a pint glass. Small head with aromas of orange and other citrus fruits. And, just for fuse (), "I can almost taste the cream in this." Seriously, it's almost like a Creamsicle with a bit of (?) coriander. I'd enjoy this with some sweet and sour chicken or shrimp.

Attachment 7381
    Not sure I have much to add.

Kinda ok. Nothing horrible to avoid, possibly comparable to Blue Moon.

And Lagunitas completes the sale to Heineken.

Sigh.

And Lagunitas completes the sale to Heineken.

Sigh.
    Maybe this:

beer_158433.jpg

Deep River Double D's Watermelon Lager

Yes, they went there with the naming, and the artwork on the can. The beer itself was about as creative, but even less tasteful. I found this a weird beer. Pours a cloudy gold color with off-white head, and you get just a hint of watermelon Jolly Rancher on the nose. But the taste is odd. Thicker mouthfeel than I would have guessed, and more earthy than fruity. Almost like they used the rind in the brewing.

You don't know if you don't try, I suppose.

Yes, they went there with the naming, and the artwork on the can. The beer itself was about as creative, but even less tasteful. I found this a weird beer. Pours a cloudy gold color with off-white head, and you get just a hint of watermelon Jolly Rancher on the nose. But the taste is odd. Thicker mouthfeel than I would have guessed, and more earthy than fruity. Almost like they used the rind in the brewing.

You don't know if you don't try, I suppose.
    That's why we're all here.

The 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon might be worth a try.