Page 57 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859671071575571057 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great Lake Brewing Company-Burning River Pale Ale-been a few years since I enjoyed one of these-thanks to Lavabe for including it in his 6er sampler for trading last weekend. Fairly typical PA with a hint of grapefruit but I taste a bit more orange zest in this one. Nice hop presence, little malt smoothness. Wonderful summer beverage. 6% ABV. Can't wait to pick up some other Great Lakes stuff this weekend during our visit to the Bluegrass state.
    I love this beer. The Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is also delicious.

Tonight I picked up two bottles (they look like 18oz, but not sure and too lazy to get up and look) of Blind Pig IPA and Piney the Elder IIPA from the Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, California (just available in Colorado in the past month). Since I'm having to work a bit tonight, I'll be sticking to the 6% ABV Blind Pig.

The beer is a very soft IPA. All of the elements of a good IPA are there--lots of pine and citrus on the nose; grapefruit and floral notes in the taste; good hoppy bite--but in a lighter sense. I wouldn't mistake it for an APA, but instead would call it a very refreshing IPA that I could actually drink as a session beer.

Anyone had this or other RR beers? I've been the brewery, but it's been a few years and can't remember what I had there.

I had a plain Jane Amstel Light last night. Well, a couple of them. I'm just trying to build up a lead before getting blown out by a devildeac PW explosion.

ymm, beer

Dogfish Head Brewery-Immort Ale-Simply a fabulous brew. Not quite sure how to categorize it however. Barleywine? Imperial Brown Ale? Strong Ale? Slightly reddish-brown with a small head which doesn't last long at 11% ABV. (from their web site: peat-smoked barley-very slightly noticeable; organic juniper berries-I would not have figured that out; vanilla-very tastefully incorporated; maple syrup-makes it lip-smacking and lip-licking sweet during and after the brew; oak-aging makes it smooth, slightly creamy and faintly whiskey-ish; English and Belgian yeasts. 40 IBU). This is one of my top 5-10 beers and has been for years. Put one of these in my hand after dinner, at bedtime, on the front porch on a fall, winter or spring eve (a bit heavy for summer time) and let's talk and sip for an hour or so. Serve at cellar temps 'cuz the warmer this gets (within reason), the better the tastes and aromas are manifest. Once again, another great creatioin by the folks at DFH on the Delaware coast.

And with this submission, I believe this moves me into the All American, Honorable Mention category.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I had a plain Jane Amstel Light last night. Well, a couple of them. I'm just trying to build up a lead before getting blown out by a devildeac PW explosion.
    The Lavabe's have a room reserved for me this weekend with my own private PC, a 'fridge with a great assortment of micros, a TV, recliner, the # of several good take out places in Lexington and a... oh, never mind. We had a safe trip tonight to visit and I will post occasionally this weekend whilst not travelling. Just wanted to worry YMo a bit.

An Idea

What do you think about contributing to the Official Recipe Thread? Perhaps you could pair beers with some of the dishes. I think it would be wonderful, and hey it gives you an excuse to pad your post count. Not that anyone needs an excuse or anything.

Cheers!

ymm, beer/recipes

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    What do you think about contributing to the Official Recipe Thread? Perhaps you could pair beers with some of the dishes. I think it would be wonderful, and hey it gives you an excuse to pad your post count. Not that anyone needs an excuse or anything.

Cheers!
    Good idea-thanks. Post padding? Me? Never. (I'll start tomorrow AM)

ymm,beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I love this beer. The Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is also delicious.

Tonight I picked up two bottles (they look like 18oz, but not sure and too lazy to get up and look) of Blind Pig IPA and Piney the Elder IIPA from the Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, California (just available in Colorado in the past month). Since I'm having to work a bit tonight, I'll be sticking to the 6% ABV Blind Pig.

The beer is a very soft IPA. All of the elements of a good IPA are there--lots of pine and citrus on the nose; grapefruit and floral notes in the taste; good hoppy bite--but in a lighter sense. I wouldn't mistake it for an APA, but instead would call it a very refreshing IPA that I could actually drink as a session beer.

Anyone had this or other RR beers? I've been the brewery, but it's been a few years and can't remember what I had there.
    I just looked at all their concoctions and I don't think I have ever had 1 of their brews. Guess I'll go out looking tomorrow.

Good idea-thanks. Post padding? Me? Never. (I'll start tomorrow AM)
    Awesome! Can't wait to see what you suggest. Though I don't post to this thread often, I'm always lurking here. Ya'll are good, real good at writing up the beers!

Has anyone seen The Thirsty Traveler? It doesn't focus solely on beer, but it's a great show. The host travels the world seeking out local brews, wines, and spirits. I watch it after Iron Chef (Japan) on the Fine Living Network.

I just looked at all their concoctions and I don't think I have ever had 1 of their brews. Guess I'll go out looking tomorrow.
    You had better!

ymm, beer

Cheers!
    This is even a better idea than I originally thought. I have been awake less than 30 minutes this AM and have already fired off 3 posts on the recipe thread and this one makes 4 total.

This is even a better idea than I originally thought. I have been awake less than 30 minutes this AM and have already fired off 3 posts on the recipe thread and this one makes 4 total.
    I noticed that you gained more ground on YBT. The best part is they were all quality posts too. Not that this one wasn't. I love all the suggestions, thanks for the contributions. If we get enough recipes going, I think it'll be pretty sweet to see beer accompaniments with each recipe.

I noticed that you gained more ground on YBT. The best part is they were all quality posts too. Not that this one wasn't. I love all the suggestions, thanks for the contributions. If we get enough recipes going, I think it'll be pretty sweet to see beer accompaniments with each recipe.
    2535Miles: rest on your laurels, you are Shelden Williams!!!!

Oops, you posted in the Recipes thread and lost your position.
    Last edited by Indoor66; 09-20-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Add second sentence.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    2535Miles: rest on your laurels, you are Shelden Williams!!!!

Oops, you posted in the Recipes thread and lost your position.
    Now he's Duhon-check out his avatar-I THINK he noticed.

Now he's Duhon-check out his avatar-I THINK he noticed.
    "Two Posts..." has been updated with the mug. Back to orang for now. Don't you just hate it when you reach a milestone and then stumble upon some posts that are begging your reply? The only thing worse is missing a milestone completely.

ymm, beer

Aprihops by the fine folks at Dogfish Head. I thought I had reviewed this before but a DBR search brings up Aprihops being mentioned but no reviews. An IPA that is typically but not wildly hopped and combined with apricots that impart a slight sweetness and smoothness. The citrusy flavor is toned down by the fruit as are the usual floral fragrances. Not a dessert beer. This would be good paired with a grilled chicken or fish that is topped with a fruity/spicy salsa. ABV=7%.

ymm, beer

Breckenridge Amber-Nothing surprising here. Mild hops and malt. Bisquit-like in nose and flavor. Smooth. A nice session beer or with stews or chili perhaps. I'd guess about 5% ABV.

Breckenridge Amber-Nothing surprising here. Mild hops and malt. Bisquit-like in nose and flavor. Smooth. A nice session beer or with stews or chili perhaps. I'd guess about 5% ABV.
    What kind of bisquit?

ymm, beer

What kind of bisquit?
    Like one that would be served with bacon, egg, sausage or country ham for breakfast. Yeasty, bready, doughy and a bit toasty. The same kind I'd put a little butter or margarine on with a dollop of jelly/jam.

Smile He-brew: Genesis 10:10

10% alcohol, 10th year of production, with just a little sourness and fruity nose from the use of pomegranate juice. Mild bitterness, but boy it has some alcohol on the after taste. I split one with devildeac last night. It's mighty tasty, and would go well with a nice sharp Cheddar. Mild head, nice amber/red color.

Ymm, beer: & 1/2

Cheers,
    Lavabe