Page 54 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556641041545541054 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Thread hijack, well sort of, it does have to do with beer.

I'm editing one of my plays. (For those of you familiar with some of my efforts it's the eHarmony date Duke/Carolina tragedy.) Anyway, the guy buys them both a beer. She says - "It's kind of the perfect beer to buy for someone you've just met, isn't it? It doesn't scream 'I'm too cheap' but it doesn't say 'I'm a beer snob' either."

OK, so my question for those of you here, beer snobs or not, what kind of beer is it? Remember, they're just in some random sports bar, so please be realistic.

Don't worry, the immortal line "I think Coach K is sexy" stays.
    What time of the year is the setting?

What food is paired with it?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Thread hijack, well sort of, it does have to do with beer.

I'm editing one of my plays. (For those of you familiar with some of my efforts it's the eHarmony date Duke/Carolina tragedy.) Anyway, the guy buys them both a beer. She says - "It's kind of the perfect beer to buy for someone you've just met, isn't it? It doesn't scream 'I'm too cheap' but it doesn't say 'I'm a beer snob' either."

OK, so my question for those of you here, beer snobs or not, what kind of beer is it? Remember, they're just in some random sports bar, so please be realistic.

Don't worry, the immortal line "I think Coach K is sexy" stays.
    1. Newcastle or
    2. Sam Adams Lager (or Boston Ale) or
    3. Blue Moon or
    4. Pilsner Urquell or
    5. Bass Ale

I tried to give you (in no particular order) 5 widely available beers that are very enjoyable/pleasing to the palate that are not too bitter and would make that favorable impression that you might be seeking.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Thank you devildeac.

Lavabe, you're a beer snob. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) They are watching football so it's fall but there is no food, it's a bar.

Blue Moon it is, seems appropriate.

ymm, beer

Thank you devildeac.

Lavabe, you're a beer snob. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) They are watching football so it's fall but there is no food, it's a bar.

Blue Moon it is, seems appropriate.
    You are most humbly welcome. Now, if you want some really esoteric, knock your socks/taste buds off kind of brews, you know how to reach me...

P.S. where/when can we see the final product?

Red face Snob-ish

FWIW, Newcastle was at the top of my list, but I thought BD would call me a beer snob. I had Guiness on my list, not Bass Ale.

Oh well!

Silly me!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    FWIW, Newcastle was at the top of my list, but I thought BD would call me a beer snob. I had Guiness on my list, not Bass Ale.

Oh well!

Silly me!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Nothing snobby about Newcastle. It's a really enjoyable brown ale. I did not list Guiness thinking it is too dark/thick/peaty/chewy for a sports bar and what sounded like a 1st date type meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Nothing snobby about Newcastle. It's a really enjoyable brown ale. I did not list Guiness thinking it is too dark/thick/peaty/chewy for a sports bar and what sounded like a 1st date type meeting.
    I order Guinness on first dates for the precise reason of weeding out the wimps.

Sam Adams or one of the Belgium beers. If the time of year is important, then a seasonal ale would fit nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I order Guinness on first dates for the precise reason of weeding out the wimps.
    What about the ones that don't drink beer?

ymm, beer

I guess the implication is, well, wimps.

Oh, OK.

I don't drink beer.

That's why I don't post in this thread, usually.

ymm, beer

Oh, OK.

I don't drink beer.

That's why I don't post in this thread, usually.
    But you are welcome here anytime with questions or beer tastings.

BTW, you're Ricky Price now.

I would happily let them order whatever puts a smile on their face. I am a beer lover, not a jerk. Though I will be secretly passing judgement on them. Just kidding. I would publicly pass judgement on them. Just kidding. It's cool if they don't drink beer.

When at a bar and faced with a drink order, I usually have a vodka collins, just fussy enough to seem girlie, yet someone who may have actually had a drink before, plus I like them.

I gave up being Ricky Price for that!

ymm, beer

When at a bar and faced with a drink order, I usually have a vodka collins, just fussy enough to seem girlie, yet someone who may have actually had a drink before, plus I like them.

I gave up being Ricky Price for that!
    Yes, you did. But, now you are Rudy D'Emilio.

Thumbs up That first date drink

Definitely glad you didn't opt for a beer float on that first date.

Vermont's Long Trail Ale...because the Trail to relationship bliss and fullfilment is, well, Long...women are bound to be wowed by the metaphorical aspects...

ymm,beer

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Vermont's Long Trail Ale...because the Trail to relationship bliss and fullfilment is, well, Long...women are bound to be wowed by the metaphorical aspects...
    Ahh, deep beer thoughts. And Boston Devil is in, well, Boston so her play characters should be able to imbibe.

I couple of beers in the fridge that will hopefully get reviewed soon (Avery's 2008 Beast and a IIPA from Ska Brewing Company).

I don't remember enough about the Kaiser to post a review but I'll pick up another soon enough and get to it (I've seen the Czar Imperial Stout at some stores as well, so I'll try to do both).

I do have one review from a beer I enjoyed last Friday. It was cold and rainy in Denver (very autumn like) and I was grilling pork chops and making apple sauce so I figured I should stop and get an Autumn Beer. Lucky for me I found Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. The label says its a brown ale at heart, and that makes sense. Lots of brown sugar and caramel notes. The pumpkin is definitely there but it doesn't take over the beer. Too often "flavored" beers are too much. I could enjoy the pumpkin flavor without forgetting that it was a beer. There was also a surprising hop presence.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I couple of beers in the fridge that will hopefully get reviewed soon (Avery's 2008 Beast and a IIPA from Ska Brewing Company).

I don't remember enough about the Kaiser to post a review but I'll pick up another soon enough and get to it (I've seen the Czar Imperial Stout at some stores as well, so I'll try to do both).

I do have one review from a beer I enjoyed last Friday. It was cold and rainy in Denver (very autumn like) and I was grilling pork chops and making apple sauce so I figured I should stop and get an Autumn Beer. Lucky for me I found Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. The label says its a brown ale at heart, and that makes sense. Lots of brown sugar and caramel notes. The pumpkin is definitely there but it doesn't take over the beer. Too often "flavored" beers are too much. I could enjoy the pumpkin flavor without forgetting that it was a beer. There was also a surprising hop presence.

Lavabe and I are both VERY fond of this one.