Page 539 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3943948952953753853954054154958963910391539 ... LastLast
Results 10,761 to 10,780 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Are you the poster who commented a year or two ago that every winter a random keg of Pliny the Younger appears at a pub near you? If so, welcome back to the thread and best of luck finding it again this winter!

Sure wish we could get Russian River to distribute in the Triangle area.
    I missed this a few days ago. San Diego has been a beer town for a few decades now, and there are long standing relationships with a bunch of bars and liquor stores who regularly stock Pliny and Blind Pig. It is still a hassle to find the bottles, but if you stop into the usual suspects often enough, you will get a relatively regular serving of Pliny the Elder or Blind Pig.

I have never seen Pliny the Younger show up unexpected. There are two places that I know of that get a keg, but you have to buy tickets, wait in line, and then enjoy your glass packed into a bar with a bunch of other people doing the exact same thing. With many, many other excellent options on tap in many establishments, I've never seen the allure of that.

I would very much like to try Pliny the Younger, though.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    https://youtu.be/ki8KblCCOuA
    Give me a million years and I'd have never gotten that.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Before anyone goes to Maine, let's talk about a beer exchange on the 95 corridor in Richmond. I can get several Hardywood offerings or other crafts as requested in exchange for some Maine Beer company products or others.
    I'm not planing on a northeast beercation again anytime soon but I know fuse has visited friends/family in MD and has found Maine Beer Company products there and been kind enough to bring several for me. He might be da man .

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Maine.

Seriously considering transferring there with my job in a couple years. Getting tired of Asheville...kind of.
    Allagash. Lobstah. Maine Beer Company. Acadia National Park. Two hour drive (?) away from Hill Farmstead. Three hour drive away from various Heady Topper sources. More lobstah.

I'm not planing on a northeast beercation again anytime soon but I know fuse has visited friends/family in MD and has found Maine Beer Company products there and been kind enough to bring several for me. He might be da man .
    It might be Tasty (?), I seem to recall MBC is distributing in NC now. Searched my twitter feed to confirm, couldn't find it.

It might be Tasty (?), I seem to recall MBC is distributing in NC now. Searched my twitter feed to confirm, couldn't find it.

I tried to investigate that, too, when you mentioned it a few months ago but couldn't confirm it either.

I tried to investigate that, too, when you mentioned it a few months ago but couldn't confirm it either.
    MBC website says distribution in both NC and VA.

MBC website says distribution in both NC and VA.
    Hmmm...

Perhaps after some re-organization of the current supply (well, some consumption, too ), I'll engage in a bit of beer hunting. Or, we can commission duketaylor to shop for some Hardywood and MBC beverages and arrange a road trip or delivery date if/when he comes down to CIS this season.

Maine.

Seriously considering transferring there with my job in a couple years. Getting tired of Asheville...kind of.
    Vermont has more going on than Maine. Loved living in Vermont. Maine does have more lobsters tho. Indisputable.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Two cases of Highland's Cold Mountain Winter Ale are sitting in the back seat of the truck, thanks to a lunch time trip to Ingles. Last year's batch was ok, but I'm hoping this year's batch - Anniversary Edition? - will top it.

If you're interested in finding some, check the twitter feed for ColdMtnTracker (not affiliated with Highland Brewing) for availability in your area.
    I'm hoping to find some on tap somewhere first before I buy, because like you said, last year's version was mediocre.

I did try this year's ABC Ninjabread Man at the Biltmore Park Thirsty Monk last night. Delicious as always.
    I opened up the first bottle last night and it was...meh. It improved a bit as it warmed, but I think I'm going to let these age for a while before trying another.

I'm curious to hear your (and any one else's) take on it, as I'm far from being a connoisseur, I just know what I like

I haven't tried this year's iteration, but it does vary wildly. I think it is more about the hype and limited availability than the beer, which I am fine with. An excuse to celebrate beer wins points in my book.
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 11-15-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Vermont has more going on than Maine. Loved living in Vermont. Maine does have more lobsters tho. Indisputable.
    Vermont would be cool, but we have no locations there.

I opened up the first bottle last night and it was...meh. It improved a bit as it warmed, but I think I'm going to let these age for a while before trying another.

I'm curious to hear your (and any one else's) take on it, as I'm far from being a connoisseur, I just know what I like
    I haven't tried this year's iteration, but it does vary wildly. I think it is more about the hype and limited availability than the beer, which I am fine with. An excuse to celebrate beer wins points in my book.
    Interesting thoughts from ricks68 which he shared with me as he and the lovely Mrs. ricks68 sampled the 2016 version and the imperial version last week at the brewery on "opening night." They tasted them separately and then made a "beer cocktail" as they combined the 2 versions and liked the "blended" variety better. I'm not placing an order for a 12 pack as I have in the past but will wait until it arrives in the Raleigh area and likely get a 6er to share/trade with family over the holiday season and perhaps find a pint. I think one of the package shops is having a release party this week. August West also traded me one of the 2014 bottles so, if it's still good, it'll be interesting to have a side-by-side with a 2016.

Unless you pick an extreme location in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire (and Boston for that matter) are easy to visit.

Unless you pick an extreme location in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire (and Boston for that matter) are easy to visit.
    I would probably be looking at the Portland area.

What a coincidence!

http://www.allagash.com/?ao_confirm

I went to Portland once. I had several good beers, some seafood and got a tattoo. All in all, a nice day trip from Boston.

Interesting thoughts from ricks68 which he shared with me as he and the lovely Mrs. ricks68 sampled the 2016 version and the imperial version last week at the brewery on "opening night." They tasted them separately and then made a "beer cocktail" as they combined the 2 versions and liked the "blended" variety better. I'm not placing an order for a 12 pack as I have in the past but will wait until it arrives in the Raleigh area and likely get a 6er to share/trade with family over the holiday season and perhaps find a pint. I think one of the package shops is having a release party this week. August West also traded me one of the 2014 bottles so, if it's still good, it'll be interesting to have a side-by-side with a 2016.
    Slightly incorrect info here. We mixed the Coconut iteration with the Imperial. The regular CM tasted "thin" and of little flavor this go 'round. Will not be buying any this year. Maybe it was to compensate for the slight "overspicing" of last year's batch. In addition, CM should not be aged, per one of the brewers I ran into at ABC last year, but consumed fresh. I didn't listen to him, however, and the few bottles I have left from the past 2 years are just fine. (Just a note to Grad_Devil)

ricks

See my last post.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Slightly incorrect info here. We mixed the Coconut iteration with the Imperial. The regular CM tasted "thin" and of little flavor this go 'round. Will not be buying any this year. Maybe it was to compensate for the slight "overspicing" of last year's batch. In addition, CM should not be aged, per one of the brewers I ran into at ABC last year, but consumed fresh. I didn't listen to him, however, and the few bottles I have left from the past 2 years are just fine. (Just a note to Grad_Devil)

ricks
    I knew you mixed something . I liked what we did 2-3 years ago at a tailgate, mixing Pumking with an imperial stout but forget which one it was. I think we all decided a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio was the best, minimizing the pumpkin-y-ness and maximizing the chocolate-y-ness. Kind of like an impromptu Warlock .