Page 51 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 414950515253611011515511051 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

Well, I got to compose #1000 but not with the review I thought as Lavabe PW'ed one in at #999 as I was composing mine for #999 but it became #1000 instead. Not to worry, however, I always have room/time for #1001 and it's not about black and white spotted dogs. It's:

Samichlaus Bier-2003-This is one of the world's classic brews. It is brewed each St. Nick's day (12/6?) in Austria by Castle Brewery Eggenberg who bought Hurlichmann's (sp?) several years ago and almost allowed this fabulous creation to become extinct. It is aged for about 9-10 months and is then released for our sipping pleasure. To me, it most resembles a double bock, but I have heard one of the Total Wine beer geeks describe it as a triple bock because of its 14% ABV. No typo there and I did not omit a decimal point. Clear, medium brown with very little carbonation, even if poured down the middle of the glass. Sweet, cloying with not so subtle hints of caramel, butterscotch and brandy. A bit biscuit-y, too. Best at cellar temps and makes a wonderful after dinner drink or dessert drink. This really tastes like a fine sherry, too. I will enjoy this one over an hour or so and drift off into a war, pleasant slumber. I also have several from 2004, 2006 and 2007. I don't think I ever found them for 2005 or perhaps I just did not look very hard. Rather spendy at about $18 for the 4 pack but worth savoring.

This is truly ymm, beer.

ymm, beer

My word that Samichlaus was delicious. It is worth posting twice for this one. I am surprised I can still type after that monster. I am licking my lips and the glass as I post to savor the last few molecules of this mouth watering concoction.

Question Lindemans Lambic

What's the considered opinion about the different fruity lambics by Lindemans: apple, currant, peach, raspberry, and cherry. Too fruity? Low ABV?

Thank you,
    Lavabe

devildeac, I was going to guess it was some of the aged 120-Minute (I split a bottle with my brother this weekend--not aged--and it was fantastic!). Obviously my guess was wrong.

I'll give a quick twofer:

1. Avery IPA--I post a lot about Avery's BIG IPAs (Maharaja, Ale to the Chief, Gemini) but this is just their standard, base IPA. For starters, it has such a great label--an old map of Europe, Africa, and Asia with pictures on the sides depicting scenes from India; I was once told by Mr. Avery Sr. that his Son Adam--the brewmaster--found the map at a garage sale and used it as the design. As IPAs go, this a good session beer. Very bitter with a good piney bite. Not too pungent or citrusy, but crisp and refreshing. Would be great with a spicy dinner because it will not overpower. If you can find, pick up a sixer.

2. Great Divide Liberally Hopped Pale Ale--Had this beer on tap last weekend. It's a special brew for the DNC, and as such may only be available in/around Denver. I love this brewery and I love their IPA, but this beer was just okay. It was slightly more pungent and grapefruity than their IPA, but not worth $6.50 a pint. It just didn't deliver as a special release, if that makes sense. For Dems looking for a beer to celebrate/drown your sorrows in November (no need to move this to the PPB ), stick with Avery's Ale to the Chief (I have several bottles stored for both election and inauguration night!)

I got a gift certificate for my birthday a few weeks back to get all the stuff needed for one of my favorite, but of late dormant, hobbies: home brewing. I'm not sure if any of you have ever tried it before, but it's really a lot of fun and actually not too hard. My question is this: I have to decide what kind of beer to make first, so I'd like a straw poll. The following are styles that I've made successfully before and would be relatively easy reintroductions to the hobby. Should I make:

-an oatmeal porter (probably honey oatmeal)
    -an autumn wheat, or
    -a full, lightly spiced autumn ale?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    What's the considered opinion about the different fruity lambics by Lindemans: apple, currant, peach, raspberry, and cherry. Too fruity? Low ABV?

Thank you,
    Lavabe
    I'm generally not a fan of lambics, but if forced to drink one, I'd definitely say the Lindemans are the best. I prefer the apple and the raspberry. On a related note, I really enjoy a Sweetwater Blue every once in a while, and the Abita summer offering that had a strawberry finish was excellent this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Should I make:

-an autumn wheat, or
    Yes.

(If I had to choose, since football season is coming up and you might want a couple at a time, I'd go with the ale.)

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I got a gift certificate for my birthday a few weeks back to get all the stuff needed for one of my favorite, but of late dormant, hobbies: home brewing. I'm not sure if any of you have ever tried it before, but it's really a lot of fun and actually not too hard. My question is this: I have to decide what kind of beer to make first, so I'd like a straw poll. The following are styles that I've made successfully before and would be relatively easy reintroductions to the hobby. Should I make:

-an autumn wheat, or
    autumn wheat now, autumn ale next, then your porter for the winter

coming to Durham soon so we can sample?

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    devildeac, I was going to guess it was some of the aged 120-Minute (I split a bottle with my brother this weekend--not aged--and it was fantastic!). Obviously my guess was wrong.

I'll give a quick twofer:

1. Avery IPA--I post a lot about Avery's BIG IPAs (Maharaja, Ale to the Chief, Gemini) but this is just their standard, base IPA. For starters, it has such a great label--an old map of Europe, Africa, and Asia with pictures on the sides depicting scenes from India; I was once told by Mr. Avery Sr. that his Son Adam--the brewmaster--found the map at a garage sale and used it as the design. As IPAs go, this a good session beer. Very bitter with a good piney bite. Not too pungent or citrusy, but crisp and refreshing. Would be great with a spicy dinner because it will not overpower. If you can find, pick up a sixer.

2. Great Divide Liberally Hopped Pale Ale--Had this beer on tap last weekend. It's a special brew for the DNC, and as such may only be available in/around Denver. I love this brewery and I love their IPA, but this beer was just okay. It was slightly more pungent and grapefruity than their IPA, but not worth $6.50 a pint. It just didn't deliver as a special release, if that makes sense. For Dems looking for a beer to celebrate/drown your sorrows in November (no need to move this to the PPB ), stick with Avery's Ale to the Chief (I have several bottles stored for both election and inauguration night!)
    Not a bad guess but I will open my bottle of 120 Minute IPA this weekend, hopefully to celebrate our 1st FB W of several for the year.

I'll look for the Avery IPA.

My wife and I just returned home after a very disappointing road trip for a Thursday night football game. It was partially saved when I arrived at the hotel bar to find they served, on tap, Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. A few glasses helped soothe the sting.

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    My wife and I just returned home after a very disappointing road trip for a Thursday night football game. It was partially saved when I arrived at the hotel bar to find they served, on tap, Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. A few glasses helped soothe the sting.
    Very good beer. Wish I could get their selection out here.

What football game?

Miami/Vanderbilt--I am a Miami grad (undergrad). THE Miami, not the impostor in Florida. We like to say we were a university while Florida still belonged to Spain.

ymm, beer

Lavabe will be very interested to read that. He and the family just moved to Lexington. Kentucky, that is, not NC. He has queried about Burning River PA and I replied it was quite good based on several tastings 5-7 years ago. Glad you can reinforce that about the Great Lakes Dormunder.

Miami/Vanderbilt--I am a Miami grad (undergrad). THE Miami, not the impostor in Florida. We like to say we were a university while Florida still belonged to Spain.
    Does that mean the 'dores won? If so, I shall celebrate with a tasty malted beverage in honor of this thread.

Please note, I don't mean to make light of your disappointment - I have nothing but respect for THE Miami - home to Wallyworld! I just also happen to be a Vandy grad.

so... who's going to beer fest? tickets just went on sale.

I know all about Miami (I too am an Ohio guy). Great school, beautiful campus. Glad you got to enjoy some GL beer.

In the process of moving, so the house is empty except for the tv (getting ready to watch the Rockies) and a 4-pack of Oskar Blues Brewery's The Gordon IIPA.

A very balanced IIPA. Hops come through on the nose, but the flavor is very sweet (carmel) and finishes with a good floral flavor. Not the usual grapefruit/cannabis (and a far cry from their Dale's Pale Ale) but instead dark, dried fruits. Hides the alcohol well. Served in a can (but poured into a pint glass)

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Which one? I'm going to Great American Beer Festival.

http://www.beertown.org/events/gabf/

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Which one? I'm going to Great American Beer Festival.

http://www.beertown.org/events/gabf/
    Durham, of course. But feel free to discuss other great beer fests. Is GABF in Denver?

http://www.allaboutbeer.com/wbf/home.html

ymm, beer

If you are referring to the World Beer Festival at the DBAP or DBP, I would love to go but I think the cost of $40 is quite steep. That's a boatload of beer to drink at that price. I would rather take the $ and buy a bunch of mixed 6ers and share with some friends some weekend. I went several years ago with a fellow beer nerd when it was about $20 and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. That was my 1st taste of the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and I have been a huge fan since. Love at first taste.

ymm, beer

Durham, of course. But feel free to discuss other great beer fests. Is GABF in Denver?

http://www.allaboutbeer.com/wbf/home.html
    The GABF is supposed to be a huge festival with all sorts of awards. I went to the Oregon Brewers Festival several years ago. That is really a well run event that takes place the last full weekend of July every year for about the last 15 years.