Page 49 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159991495491049 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

Tommyknocker Alpine Glacier Lager-an average offering from an otherwise good brewer (I think). I am beginning to think I may have some mildly outdated beer. This lager had little head, little hops or malt and was just kind of bland. About 5% ABV. If the Maple Nut Brown and Pick Axe Pale Ale are in similar shape, I'll blame the age of the beer.

ymm, beer

Tommyknocker Jackwacker Wheat-a nice improvement over the last 2 Tommyknockers I reviewed. Slightly cloudy/unfiltered wheat ale with a hint of citrus (in this case, orange). Lemon grass is added late in the brewing process and gives it a mildly herbal aroma/taste. Quite pleasant. Probably about 4.5-5% ABV. THIS would make a nice "lawnmower" beer.

ymm, beer

Tommyknocker Butt Head Bock-(not kidding here)-Wish this was a little fresher as I remember it tasting better after a day on the slopes in years past. Still pretty tasty. Medium brown lager, not an ale. Bready and very representative of a double bock style with lots of sweet caramel flavor. Minimal hopiness. 8.2% ABV so be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Tommyknocker Alpine Glacier Lager-an average offering from an otherwise good brewer (I think). I am beginning to think I may have some mildly outdated beer. This lager had little head, little hops or malt and was just kind of bland. About 5% ABV. If the Maple Nut Brown and Pick Axe Pale Ale are in similar shape, I'll blame the age of the beer.
    I've been lame in the beer thread for a few days (summary judgment motion taking up too much time) but I've been wanting to try this beer. Not that I'm a big lager drinker, but I'd be interested to see a craft breweries take on the basic American beer style.

Do you think it was the age of the beer or should this be avoided?

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I've been lame in the beer thread for a few days (summary judgment motion taking up too much time) but I've been wanting to try this beer. Not that I'm a big lager drinker, but I'd be interested to see a craft breweries take on the basic American beer style.

Do you think it was the age of the beer or should this be avoided?
    I think it was the age of the beer. If you could find a single and make it part of a mixed 6er, I think it would be worth a try.

ymm, beer

ATTN: rockymtdevil (again)

I found some Pyramid Imperial Hefeweizen a week or two ago in 22 ounce bottles but did not pull the trigger. If you are interested, I'll but a couple and save one for you to claim with your Palo Santo Marron on your journey to NC if you'd like. Whaddaya say?

ymm, beer

Moose Drool has arrived. Review later.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Moose Drool has arrived. Review later.
    I have an empty bottle of Drool on a shelf above my desk (with several other notable bottles and cans) and a Drool glass in the cupboard. What I do not have is a full bottle or two--I am full of envy.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    I have an empty bottle of Drool on a shelf above my desk (with several other notable bottles and cans) and a Drool glass in the cupboard. What I do not have is a full bottle or two--I am full of envy.
    I have a 6er in the 'fridge now. Want me to save a Drool or two if/when you come down to Derm for a FB game this fall?

ymm, beer

Moose Drool Brown Ale-Big Sky Brewing Company-A classic brown ale. A bit creamy, nicely nutty (but no nut flavorings added and it favors no particular nut) and probably more chocolate malt than caramel malt. Nice balance of hops. 5.1% ABV. A patient brought this back to me today after her 3/4 cross country vacation. Worth the wait! She and her husband are going to the midwest next and will be in Wisconsin briefly. She has my wish list of a couple New Glarus specialties and a Schlafly assortment.

ymm, beer

Up next-Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale-after work today

In about three weeks I will be in Ireland. If I can remember,(old age thing) I will post a review of Irish pubs and beer upon return. We will be there two weeks and expect to visit several haunts of famous and infamous Irish persons.

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    In about three weeks I will be in Ireland. If I can remember,(old age thing) I will post a review of Irish pubs and beer upon return. We will be there two weeks and expect to visit several haunts of famous and infamous Irish persons.
    Can I tag along?

-EJ

You would certainly be welcome. We are looking forward to the trip. I have already blocked in the first night in Dublin for a trip to a brewery at, I believe, St. James Gate. Made certain the hotel is within walking distance of Groghan's Castle Lounge and Davey Byrnes (see Ulysses).

ymm, beer

Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale-I think this one would be better if fresher but was very pleasant on the tongue and palate, not to mention lip-licking/lip-smacking good. A creamy, smooth brown ale with maple syrup added to complement the caramel and chocolate malts. A bit nutty with minimal bitterness. ABV not given but I would guess about 5%.

And, with this entry, I believe Mr. Dawkins makes another appearance.

And, with this entry, I will retire for the evening and savor my milestone until sometime Saturday afternoon or evening. Ahhh...

Magic Hat Brewery

Had some at the Beer, BBQ, & Bourbon Fest in Cary last week (no BBQ unfortunately).

The #9 was great!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

top 5 canned beers

MSN has an article up on their votes for the top 5 beers in a can. I'm not sure I've tried any of them.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Had some at the Beer, BBQ, & Bourbon Fest in Cary last week (no BBQ unfortunately).

The #9 was great!!
    Haven't had a Magic Hat in years. You may have inspired me to partake of their products again.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    MSN has an article up on their votes for the top 5 beers in a can. I'm not sure I've tried any of them.
    I have had none of them in a can but have had the London Pride, Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Fat Tire. All are good in their own category. IIRC, rockymtndevil has highly recommended Oskar's. Never heard of the Sly Fox. You 'll have to try one (or all) and post a review or 5 here.

Yea for Fat Tire in a can. I have 6 more in the fridge. Well, 5 after tonight. I really think it is as good in a can or even better than it is in the bottle.