Page 45 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755951455451045 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

It's tough to find any of the micros on sale. Occasionally, Whole Foods will have a buck or two off several different selections, but I don't think I have ever seen that at Total Wine.

$11 for 24 beers (or Budweisers). Now, that's a sale.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Both of our grocery stores, Food Lion and Lowe's have a pretty good selection, and if you have one of their discount cards can catch some good sales. Harris Teeter is being built now, and last I remembered they had some good choices too. Nothing like Total Wine though. As far as I know the closest one to me is in Durham unless there is one in New Bern.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Both of our grocery stores, Food Lion and Lowe's have a pretty good selection, and if you have one of their discount cards can catch some good sales. Harris Teeter is being built now, and last I remembered they had some good choices too. Nothing like Total Wine though. As far as I know the closest one to me is in Durham unless there is one in New Bern.
    "Our" Harris Teeter has a reasonable selection of micros. Perhaps you should visit a local wine shop and see if they would consider carrying some of the micros. Wine Merchant in Raleigh started doing that a couple years ago. Small and eclectic selection, but good products.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "Our" Harris Teeter has a reasonable selection of micros. Perhaps you should visit a local wine shop and see if they would consider carrying some of the micros. Wine Merchant in Raleigh started doing that a couple years ago. Small and eclectic selection, but good products.
    Local wine shop here = Food Lion and Lowes'. I think there is a wine shop in Emerald Isle, but they also sell gas.

ymm, beer

Local wine shop here = Food Lion and Lowes'. I think there is a wine shop in Emerald Isle, but they also sell gas.
    Oops. A wine shop that sells gas is also probably not a promising place to find good wine, let alone fine, hand-crafted ales.

ymm, beer

Front Street Brewpub-Scotch Ale-I thought I ordered the Imperial Porter or Stout (why on a warm summer eve, I don't know). I received a lighter brew and was hoppy, err, happy, I did. This is one of my more favorite beer styles. Dark brown, very malty and almost sweet with caramel and chocolate overtones. Very little hop presence. I generally like these in the fall and winter more but this was lip-smacking and lip-licking good with the lingering sweetness. About 6-7% ABV so a nice finish to the sampler last weekend before a theatre show we saw.

ymm, beer

New beer alert-I am about a week late on my promise-ATTN: rockymtdevil and ohioguy

Dogfish Head-Palo Santo Marron-one word-fabulous-

Some borrowed words from the bottle/their web site:

unfiltered...brown ale
    aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels
    caramel and vanilla
    Paraguayan Palo Santo wood
    12% ABV
    highly roasty and malty

My thoughts:

Imperial brown ale
    woody/oak-y (is that a word?)
    luscious
    think Indian Brown Ale or Raison d'etre
    smooth
    spendy (about $12 for the 4 pack)-but worth the sipping

Yummy!

THE RETURN OF SCHLITZ
    Coming to a store near you.
    Go for the gusto...again. bleah.

ymm, beer

THE RETURN OF SCHLITZ
    This belongs on the "ycch, beer" thread (but thanks for the warning).

Commercial

THE RETURN OF SCHLITZ
    They had one of my favorite slogans of all time, and totally honest. "When you're out of Schlitz, You're out of beer!" So true, that's the last beer anybody would drink.

Oooh, the Saranac Caramel Porter, I assume? I have not had one of those in several years. I would love to find a 6er of those this fall/winter.
    I just purchased two six packs of the Saranac Caramel Porter. "My" beer lady says it will certainly last into the fall--which is when I would usually drink it. I did put two bottles into the frig for tonight though. A friend and I are going fly fishing this evening(see another thread) and we will either celebrate catching fish or just a safe return.

'My"

ymm, beer

Weyerbacher Brewing Company-Easton, Pennsylvania-Double Simcoe IPA-probably should be designated an IIPA. Proprietary/trademarked Simcoe organic hops. I don't like this quite as much as the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA but it has the nose and taste also of fresh grapefruit and a pungent floral aroma. It is smoother than the Hop Devil IPA. Still, a wonderful, highly hopped summertime sipping IIPA and at 9% ABV, watch its alcohol effect closely. Doubt rockymtdevil would find this in Colorado but I would bet ohioguy could find this in northern Ohio and would like it a lot.

Front Street Brewpub-Scotch Ale-I thought I ordered the Imperial Porter or Stout (why on a warm summer eve, I don't know). I received a lighter brew and was hoppy, err, happy, I did. This is one of my more favorite beer styles. Dark brown, very malty and almost sweet with caramel and chocolate overtones. Very little hop presence. I generally like these in the fall and winter more but this was lip-smacking and lip-licking good with the lingering sweetness. About 6-7% ABV so a nice finish to the sampler last weekend before a theatre show we saw.
    If you can find it, Oskar Blues Brewery makes a great Scotch Ale. It's called Old Chub and, like all of their beers, comes in a can (this is the brewery that inspired New Belgium to can Fat Tire). It has a great roasty, sweet flavor with particular caramel notes. Not a summer beer, but I love to drink it on cold Saturdays while watching my beloved Buckeyes.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    If you can find it, Oskar Blues Brewery makes a great Scotch Ale. It's called Old Chub and, like all of their beers, comes in a can (this is the brewery that inspired New Belgium to can Fat Tire). It has a great roasty, sweet flavor with particular caramel notes. Not a summer beer, but I love to drink it on cold Saturdays while watching my beloved Buckeyes.
    I would bet I would only find that on a visit to Colorado.

However, somewhat surprisingly, I really like the Sam Adams Scotch Ale and, when available, buy a 6er of it when one of the local markets has it in stock.

Wow, was the Caramel Porter good tonight. After fishing I sat out on my deck and enjoyed this very dark and slightly sweet beer. The caramel aroma got me thinking about the upcoming football season--I will probably put the other 10 bottles away till September--well, probably.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Wow, was the Caramel Porter good tonight. After fishing I sat out on my deck and enjoyed this very dark and slightly sweet beer. The caramel aroma got me thinking about the upcoming football season--I will probably put the other 10 bottles away till September--well, probably.
    I have a great idea. Save 6 for yourself and put the other 4 into a 6er with a couple of your other favorites and come down and join us for a game in September. I am SURE I could find something local that would suit your malt and hop fancies.

I've only ever had their Black Forest Black Ale (assuming, of course, that you're talking about Saranac Caramel Porter). It was on New Year's day after a day of snowboarding, in a little cottage-like bar that looked out over Lake Placid. After 8 hours in bitter cold, it was perfect.

1) Seldom make it down in the fall. This fall we will be esp. busy as we are going to Ireland for a couple of weeks. I certainly would bring some if I get a chance--love to meet some of you. My Durham trips are usually in the winter.

2) Yep, the Saranac Porter is that of which I speak.

ymm, beer

1) Seldom make it down in the fall. This fall we will be esp. busy as we are going to Ireland for a couple of weeks. I certainly would bring some if I get a chance--love to meet some of you. My Durham trips are usually in the winter.

2) Yep, the Saranac Porter is that of which I speak.
    Too bad, the Duck Rabbit brewery product would make fine trading material. Guess I will just have to go porter hunting by myself now.

New beer alert-I am about a week late on my promise-ATTN: rockymtdevil and ohioguy

Dogfish Head-Palo Santo Marron-one word-fabulous-

Some borrowed words from the bottle/their web site:

unfiltered...brown ale
    aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels
    caramel and vanilla
    Paraguayan Palo Santo wood
    12% ABV
    highly roasty and malty

My thoughts:

Imperial brown ale
    woody/oak-y (is that a word?)
    luscious
    think Indian Brown Ale or Raison d'etre
    smooth
    spendy (about $12 for the 4 pack)-but worth the sipping

Yummy!
    picked up a 4 pack of this tonight and it is excellent. Much darker than I expected it would be but very rich and smooth