Page 43 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553931435431043 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I greatly appreciate the Vermont DoubleBag Ale you sent down. Red color. I experienced a high ABV, but what I really enjoyed was the blend of hops and malt. Not too smooth, but with a nice bitterness.

Think we could get another 40 posts on Double Bag?

This was perhaps the biggest surprise brew of the year. Many thanks, devildeac.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    You are quite welcome. It was recommended to me by a cousin when we were visiting NJ for a HS class reunion in May. I was quite surprised also. He brews his own beer sometimes (less now with 3 active K-5 and middle school children) and he said this beer was a staple in their 'fridge. It is a style not too common in the US (an alt beer), and even less common as a double alt. Budwom, who lives in Vermont and is starting to post again here, also really likes this beer and the brewery (Long Trail). My supply is gone so no more until a visit to the NE again or Budwom can cart some down for us to enjoy during the 1st FB game next month. Are you reading this, Budwom?

ymm, beer

Dogfish Head-Festina Peche-a light, refreshing, unfiltered wheat ale. Rather atypical for these folks. Kind of like Hoeegarden (sp?), meaning a bit spicy with coriander and perhaps pepper tastes but with a very mild peach flavor. Nice after a work out (if you like beer after your exercise) or with some mild fare for dinner or lunch. Not a dessert beer, however. About 4.5% ABV.

ymm, beer

Still catching up from the Alaska excursion.

Skagway Brewing Coompany

Brown Ale-Nutty, woody, smooth with the usual caramel flavor. 5.1% ABV.

ymm, beer

Skagway Brewing Company-Spruce Ale-quite distinctive-a pale ale brewed with spruce tips and this does smell/taste like a bit of evergreen in a glass. About 5% ABV.

Even in the heart of Washington Wine country, I had to have a beer (it was hot, we were on an outside patio people-watching, a syrah just seemed out of place), so I tried the Snipes Mountain Brewery IPA.

Nice, refreshing first taste, moving to a bitter finish. Took 1 pint to get used to the flavor, the 2nd went down much more quickly. A nice, nearly orange color, not too fizzy.

Mr. DA had a Mac&Jacks, so tasting the two head to head, the M&J seemed dull in comparison.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Even in the heart of Washington Wine country, I had to have a beer (it was hot, we were on an outside patio people-watching, a syrah just seemed out of place), so I tried the Snipes Mountain Brewery IPA.

Nice, refreshing first taste, moving to a bitter finish. Took 1 pint to get used to the flavor, the 2nd went down much more quickly. A nice, nearly orange color, not too fizzy.

Mr. DA had a Mac&Jacks, so tasting the two head to head, the M&J seemed dull in comparison.
    Sounds tasty. Send some back to the Triangle area!

ymm, beer

Skagway Brewing Company-IPA-pretty standard stuff here. Modest hop bitterness, floral, slight citrus aroma also with a grapefruity taste. ABV was 7.1% so a bit more potent than your usual IPA.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sounds tasty. Send some back to the Triangle area!
    Where do you shop for your beer? Here at the beach, not many stores to choose from, but every time I'm in Durham I make a point to go spend some time at Total Wine. They have a great selection from all over. You can probably get them to special order for you as well.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Where do you shop for your beer? Here at the beach, not many stores to choose from, but every time I'm in Durham I make a point to go spend some time at Total Wine. They have a great selection from all over. You can probably get them to special order for you as well.
    Usually at Total Wine or Whole Foods and occasionally I will see something new at Harris Teeter. I was actually kidding DA as she started this thread and I regularly ask her to send/bring some stuff from Seattle when she samples/reviews something new that I know is not available here in NC. But your suggestion is a good one, however. I find the selections at TW or WF to be quite good.

ymm, beer

Alaskan IPA-floral bouquet. light gold. faint citrus (grapefruit). pretty standard fare. ABV 6.2%.

One more from the Alaskan Brewing Company tonight or tomorrow. Their flagship. Their best. Sought after by many when available (a winter seasonal).

Trois Pistoles-first one of these I have enjoyed in quite a while. Dark brown, creamy, rich and almost chewy. Excellent Belgian double/dubbel style ale. Molasses, chocolate/caramel, fig-like. 9% ABV.

Only 524 more to go(reference to LTE)
    I love Trois Pistoles. (All the Unibroue stuff is great). Used to be a restaurant in Central West End that had in draft. Restaurant died.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ymm, beer

Alaskan IPA-floral bouquet. light gold. faint citrus (grapefruit). pretty standard fare. ABV 6.2%.

One more from the Alaskan Brewing Company tonight or tomorrow. Their flagship. Their best. Sought after by many when available (a winter seasonal).
    Well, what is it then?

The above referenced brew is the Alaskan Brewing Company's Smoked Porter. This is truly one of the classic brews. It is a mahogany-colored, deep, rich, chewy porter in the traditional sense. It is, however, brewed with alder-smoked barley/malt which gives is a mildly smoky nose and woody/smoky taste. It is best sipped slowly at cellar temperature and would be nice with any smoked meat/cheese products or game. I have not had one of these in several years since visiting family in Oregon but found a nice supply in Alaska and enjoyed one bottle (22 ounces and 6.2% ABV) and brought one back to savor later this year. It technically has Lavabe's name on it, but if he doesn't visit soon...(jk-I'll save this one for you as the brewers say it can be cellared for a year or two). So, if you are on the west coast (or in Alaska) during the winter months, grab one (or several) of these to enjoy yourself and (?) share with friends.

ymm, beer

Dogfish Head-90 Minute IPA-first one of these in a year or so. Wow, this is good. The bottle says "the best IPA in America" or something like that. Tough for me to disagree. Smooth and malty but lots of hops bitterness. Smells and tastes like fresh, pungent grapefuit. A real pucker beer. I still smell flowers in the aroma. 9% ABV. This one will kick you in the arse but be so smooth doing it.

ymm, beer

Flying Dog Brewery-the Frederick, Maryland one-Kerberos-I still am not a big fan of this brewery. This is a Belgian triple style ale which is gold in color and tastes of coriander, orange and sugars. Slight bitterness, moderate malty smoothness. Not much carbonation. 8.5% ABV. Glad it was a 4 pack instead of a 6er, but I will mildly enjoy the remaining 3 bottles, unless our son visits soon, then he gets 1 of them.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I love Trois Pistoles. (All the Unibroue stuff is great). Used to be a restaurant in Central West End that had in draft. Restaurant died.
    Do you like the lower gravity offerings like Ephemere (sp?), the Blanche de Chambly (again, sp?) and the Raftman? Or do you enjoy the higher octane brews more?

ymm, beer

Dogfish Head has a new release which I will try to review tomorrow or Thursday. Think Imperial Brown Ale and wood barrel aging. This is one helluva beer.

ymm, beer

Front Street Brewery-Wilmington, NC-1st of four (I had a sampler)-Kolsch-I think they mispoured and slipped me a pilsner as this was not light and fruity/floral. It had more hops, but not too many more, than a kolsch. About 4.8% ABV, so a nice summer evening beverage.

Bear Republic XP. Healdsburg, California. It must not have survived the cross country trip well. I have had a couple of others from this small brewery that I enjoyed, but this one was too bitter and just "off". The first thing I thought of was the "skunky bear" commercial of a few years back.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Bear Republic XP. Healdsburg, California. It must not have survived the cross country trip well. I have had a couple of others from this small brewery that I enjoyed, but this one was too bitter and just "off". The first thing I thought of was the "skunky bear" commercial of a few years back.
    green bottles, beer past its expiration date or just bad beer?

ymm, beer

Front Street Brewery-Amber/Alt-think Fat Tire, but not quite as good. This is a style I am liking a bit more with its caramel and chocoloate malts, very mild hops and smoothness on the tongue/palate. ABV about 5%. The LongTrail Double Bag is better but it is a double alt and was smoother with a bit higher ABV.