Page 35 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745851355351035 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

BTTT with another review. Olde School Barleywine Style Ale offered by the Dogfish Head Brewing Company in northern Delaware. What a bruiser! This ginormous ale is 15% ABV(yes, you can buy it in NC, thanks to new beer laws enacted about 3 years ago!). I sipped about 6 ounces last PM(not now at 945 AM for those of you following posting times ) and was taken by its aroma of a nice after-dinner sherry with fruity and spicy overtones(I thought ginger and figs and their web site says it is fermented with dates and figs so I get partial credit here ). Best enjoyed out of a brandy snifter or wide-mouth red wine glass and sipped as an after-dinner drink or nightcap and in small aliquots of 3-6 ounces per serving. Remember, it's 15% ABV. Also better enjoyed at nearly room temperature to allow the full, rich flavors and aromas to caress the olfactory and gustatory senses.

ymm, beer

NEW BREW!!!

Longshot Brewing (aka Boston Beer; aka Sam Adams)-they revived their home brewers contest for 2007 and I just enjoyed one of the two winners(someone mentioned these a month or three ago): Grape Pale Ale. It is what the name says but in a very subtle fashion. A gold colored pale ale with a bit of a biscuit flavor and very faint bitterness/hoppiness with a taste of a mead from a hint of seedless green grapes. A bit dry like a chardonnay with a tiny bit of sweetness of a riesling. Another way to describe it would be a very mild but fairly typical pale ale with a splash of Welch's White Grape Juice added. Mild ABV-probably about 5%. A very nice spring brew.

ymm, beer

NEW BREW!!!

Longshot Brewing(see previous post)-Weizenbock-An excellent spring offering in a very traditional manner. A dark amber beer with a nice aroma and taste of cloves, but not sure if they are used in the brewing process. Tastes faintly of dates, too. A bit of caramel which is pretty typical of bocks. This is an unfiltered brew with wheat added so watch for a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle which you can leave there or swirl gently before final decanting and enjoy the bit of additional fruitiness at the end. Buy some soon as I suspect we will never see this again. If you miss it, try the Victory Brewing Company Moonglow Weizenbock or the Aventinus Wheat Doublebock, which is the gold standard. BTW, the Longshot brew is 7.2% ABV and a very smooth one at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    The only beer you've listed that I've had is La Folie. It's a strange beer (as I'm sure you'll agree) but something that everyone should try. You either love it or you hate it. Ohioguy, I would recommend taking home a bottle of this if you stop by New Belgium when you're in Ft. Collins.

I've had beers by all of the breweries you've listed, and enjoy all of them. The Ten FIDY is only available at Oscar Blues (which is actually in Lyons, kind of near Boulder) and select bars in Denver (Falling Rock Tap House comes to mind), so it's tough to come by. They do sell their Dale's Pale Ale in stores, and it's a standard choice in my fridge. I've heard rumors that, in response to the success of Oscar Blues' beers, New Belgium is going to start canning some of their beer--we'll see if that ever happens.

If you've followed this thread, you'll know that I'm a big advocate of Avery Brewing Company. They don't make anything that I don't enjoy, but summer is an especially good season for them--the Maharaja IIPA, Karma, and The Beast are all highlights of the year.
    I will stop at New Belgium as it is within walking distance of my daughter's house. They are canning beer. La Folie is not something I have had, but I will sample it if its available. Boston Brew Works Blueberry --even though I am not a fan of fruit beers--this was a fun drink--pregame atmosphere may have helped.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    I will stop at New Belgium as it is within walking distance of my daughter's house. They are canning beer. La Folie is not something I have had, but I will sample it if its available. Boston Brew Works Blueberry --even though I am not a fan of fruit beers--this was a fun drink--pregame atmosphere may have helped.
    YEESSS!!! ohioguy2 returns to help keep this thread on page one

ymmmm... Sexual Chocolate

I went over to Sam's Quik Shop in Durham to get a new keg for my kegarator, and was pleasantly surprised to find that they had Foothills Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout in stock. It was pricey for sure ($115 for the 5 gal. keg), but it's a treat. Not too overpowering despite the 10% abv, with a subtle sweetness and chocolate aroma. I am looking forward to sipping on this one for the next few weeks.
    Pratt '02, Law '06

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBen02 View Post
    I went over to Sam's Quik Shop in Durham to get a new keg for my kegarator, and was pleasantly surprised to find that they had Foothills Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout in stock. It was pricey for sure ($115 for the 5 gal. keg), but it's a treat. Not too overpowering despite the 10% abv, with a subtle sweetness and chocolate aroma. I am looking forward to sipping on this one for the next few weeks.
    Beer Float??

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBen02 View Post
    never heard of it but I will look it up later. that's a lotta stout. I would probably try it in 12 or 22 ounce bottles before investing that much change in that much beer. When can we come over and sample it with you ?

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Beer Float??
    Tillie and I have made our beer floats. IIRC, perhaps one other taster has tried one. Anyone else going to have one before the summer months are upon us and then pen a review?

ymm, beer

Sheesh, page 2 again

NEW BEER!!!

Heresy by the Weyerbacher Brewing Company in Easton, PA. ATTN: Lavabe-pay close attention here. I am embarrassed this one sat in 'fridge for several months. I am enjoying three aliquots of about seven ounces each on consecutive nights, of course . Imperial Stout aged on oak barrels. Well, a bit of research reveals those oak barrels were formerly used for aging. you got it, BOURBON. This one is nearly black and a bit viscous/oily and that is a positive description. Last night, I thought expresso/dates/figs/merlot. Tonight, I think bourbon and not the overpowering Kentucky Ale kind but the Jefferson Reserve Stout kind. A warming brew at 8% ABV. Delicious. Go find some in your specialty stores. I liked this one so much, I will sample some other Weyerbacher products soon like Insanity and Blithering Idiot. Stay tuned.

colorado microbrews?

got a ? that totally stumped me.
    anyone have any suggestions for microbreweries west of Rocky Mountain National Park?

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    got a ? that totally stumped me.
    anyone have any suggestions for microbreweries west of Rocky Mountain National Park?
    How far west? If you're staying in Estes, it's not a long drive to Lyons (which is a little SE down Route 36) and is just a little further to Boulder. If you did Lyons, you could do Oskar Blues Brewery. In Boulder, there's the Boulder Beer Company and Avery (and the Mountain Sun Cafe on Pearl St. which has excellent beers!).

Somewhat related, I picked up some Avery Karma Ale and will have a review on it soon. Had one last night but wasn't paying too much attention as I was entertaining. But, as a starting point, very much like a French farmhouse ale. A good session beer for the summer.

Also, here's a link to a blog discussing New Belgium's decision to can Fat Tire starting this summer.

http://www.fermentedlychallenged.com...e-in-cans.html

oi! cans!

just sealing me thoughts that New Belgium shouldn't be considered a craft brew anymore. *sigh*

thanks for the tips on the Colorado breweries!

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    just sealing me thoughts that New Belgium shouldn't be considered a craft brew anymore. *sigh*

thanks for the tips on the Colorado breweries!
    I'll be honest, I don't like Fat Tire (I love a lot of their beers, just not FT) but I'll buy it in a can just to see how it is. Oskar Blues cans their beer and they make some of my favorites--I'm drinking a Dale's Pale Ale, as I type this, that I poured from a can.

As for Colorado, there are certainly others, and you'll be able to find some west of RMNP. But, just a little east of the park is prime location (I didn't even mention Left Hand Brewery in Longmont).

New Belgium sends me an e-mail newsletter (I signed up after several samples). They say that one the reasons for the can of Fat Tire is to make it safer for hikers to transport. I just glanced at the newsletter, but it seemed as if they are confident the integrity of the beer will not be compromised.

BTW, Estes Park is close enough to a lot of breweries, certainly, but there are a lot of good bars to drink in after a day of hiking.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't like Fat Tire (I love a lot of their beers, just not FT) but I'll buy it in a can just to see how it is. Oskar Blues cans their beer and they make some of my favorites--I'm drinking a Dale's Pale Ale, as I type this, that I poured from a can.

As for Colorado, there are certainly others, and you'll be able to find some west of RMNP. But, just a little east of the park is prime location (I didn't even mention Left Hand Brewery in Longmont).
    I am able (I was going to say 'can' but it was just too obvious ), to think of one beer I have had in the last 10 years or so from a can-Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Quite smooth, silky and chocolate-y.

ymm, beer

Had another Longshot Brewing (aka Sam Adams) Grape Pale Ale tonight. I missed the fact on the label that it is also brewed with maple syrup added. I appreciated the slight sweetness of the brew but missed the maple flavor. I have one left for Lavabe if he comes to NC or we journey to Atlanta.

ymm, beer

What, no one sampling new and tasty brews tonight ?

ymm, beer

made the "mistake" of visiting Total Wine this afternoon and walked out several dollars poorer and several 4/6 packs richer, including: Third Coast Ale, Immort Ale, Aprihops, Bigfoot and Hennepin. Reports to follow in the next several minutes, err, hours, err, days, no really, weeks .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    made the "mistake" of visiting Total Wine this afternoon and walked out several dollars poorer and several 4/6 packs richer, including: Third Coast Ale, Immort Ale, Aprihops, Bigfoot and Hennepin. Reports to follow in the next several minutes, err, hours, err, days, no really, weeks .
    Did you try the Hennepin? Had one of those last week and liked it..I've been on a Belgium ale kick lately. Tonight, I'm trying out the St. Bernardus Tripel.