Page 319 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2192693093173183193203213293694198191319 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,380 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Pumking (draft)-Southern Tier

Finally got my seasonal taste of this imperial pumpkin ale with apologies to August West who dropped a bomber at the last tailgate before we could open it in the proper manner. This was a shared 10 ounce draft at Tyler's in Derm last pm prior to CTC. I coerced one of our friends into ordering it as I offered to divide my Jack O'Hammered with him and he graciously consented. Served in a snifter with a somewhat surprising clear, light yellow-orange color, it had a smallish head and had a very subtle spicy nose but there are no added spices, just two malts, two hops and pumpkin. I thought it tasted a wee bit like a carrot-pumpkin juice. The "base" ale most closely resembled a Belgian golden ale with low IBU, guessing 20-30 or less, and high ABV at 8.6%. The bomber would be good to share with 4-6 others before, during or after trick-or-treating or with Thanksgiving dinner next month, certainly pairing nicely with squash soup before dinner, the obligatory sweet potatoes/casserole with dinner or a slice of pumpkin or even pecan pie after dinner.

ind_bp_pumking1.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Jack O'Hammered(draft)-Wicked Weed Brewing

Another beer that fooled me. And fuse after we exchanged texts this afternoon. Poured a dark brown in a pint glass at Tyler's pre-game yesterday with a bit of chocolate-covered nuttiness (thinking brown ale here) and maybe some allspice or nutmeg, but wrong on both spice counts for me. I thought the same in the way of tastes but there was something I just couldn't place. Well, after researching it on Beer Street Journal and beeradvocate, I discovered it's a mixture of roasted cocoa nibs and a blend of 3 peppers, serrano, ancho, and habanero, and pumpkin, of course. After Evil Twin's Mini Dingo spring, I never thought I'd say anything nice ever again about habaneros in beer but I'll backtrack several steps on this one. It's an intriguing combination/concoction and certainly one I'd sample again. It paired nicely with my c*rolina Cuban sammich and non-garlic fries. I'd guess IBUs of 30 with the ABV at 7.8%. Looks like it comes in 500 ml bottles so, if you see a bottle, buy one to share this Friday instead of stealing a Milky Way or Kit Kat candy bar from one of your children or neighbor's children.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Jack O'Hammered(draft)-Wicked Weed Brewing

Another beer that fooled me. And fuse after we exchanged texts this afternoon. Poured a dark brown in a pint glass at Tyler's pre-game yesterday with a bit of chocolate-covered nuttiness (thinking brown ale here) and maybe some allspice or nutmeg, but wrong on both spice counts for me. I thought the same in the way of tastes but there was something I just couldn't place. Well, after researching it on Beer Street Journal and beeradvocate, I discovered it's a mixture of roasted cocoa nibs and a blend of 3 peppers, serrano, ancho, and habanero, and pumpkin, of course. After Evil Twin's Mini Dingo spring, I never thought I'd say anything nice ever again about habaneros in beer but I'll backtrack several steps on this one. It's an intriguing combination/concoction and certainly one I'd sample again. It paired nicely with my c*rolina Cuban sammich and non-garlic fries. I'd guess IBUs of 30 with the ABV at 7.8%. Looks like it comes in 500 ml bottles so, if you see a bottle, buy one to share this Friday instead of stealing a Milky Way or Kit Kat candy bar from one of your children or neighbor's children.
    It took me a while to sort out what Jack O'Hammered reminded me of- and connecting the dots with Wicked Weed head brewer and Dogfish Head, J'OH is a Halloween version of DFH Theobroma.

I'd agree it was a well made beer. Like a lot of the DFH Ancient Ales series, I think the enjoyment is based on food pairing, they don't often stand alone well.

The first WW beer I am ambivalent about- had to happen sometime, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    It took me a while to sort out what Jack O'Hammered reminded me of- and connecting the dots with Wicked Weed head brewer and Dogfish Head, J'OH is a Halloween version of DFH Theobroma.

I'd agree it was a well made beer. Like a lot of the DFH Ancient Ales series, I think the enjoyment is based on food pairing, they don't often stand alone well.

The first WW beer I am ambivalent about- had to happen sometime, I guess.
    That's a really good connect the dots with Theobroma.

Porter-Duck Rabbit Craft Brewery

This was a trader from CB&B, IIRC, and shared with my younger daughter this evening. Poured a very dark mahogany with a small tan head. Pleasant aromas of lightly roasted coffee and milk chocolate but with no additives. Tastes of the same with a very mild bitterness. Guessing that the IBUs are about 40 with ABV 5-6%, pretty standard stats for a porter. Not a classic like Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter but a fine NC representation. Would pair nicely with a rack of sweet BBQ basted ribs or a smoked brisket.

Highland Brewing Company's 20 beers for 20 years:

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/downl...-files/keg.pdf

Nice list. Wonder how many of these ricks68 and/or mattman91 have sampled...

Black Mocha Stout-Highland Brewing Company

Another trader from CB&B a couple weeks ago. Poured nearly black with a slightly more tan head than the Duck Rabbit porter just reviewed. This was also shared with my younger daughter tonight. This has a bit more coffee tones and more subdued chocolate nuances, both aromas and tastes, than the porter. Bitterness surprisingly low at 25 and ABV a bit low at 5%. This would also be pleasantly served at the same meal of ribs and brisket as the porter. Here's the ingredient list from the brewers:

Grains: 2 Row Brewers Malt, Munich, Roasted Barley, Caramel 40, Caramel 60, Chocolate, Extra Special Malt & Malted Wheat
    Hops: Chinook & Mount Hood

I'm thinking the Chocolate listed is the malt and not the addition of chocolate as they claim all their flavors are from the roasting and not any additives.

Black Mocha Stout-Highland Brewing Company

Another trader from CB&B a couple weeks ago. Poured nearly black with a slightly more tan head than the Duck Rabbit porter just reviewed. This was also shared with my younger daughter tonight. This has a bit more coffee tones and more subdued chocolate nuances, both aromas and tastes, than the porter. Bitterness surprisingly low at 25 and ABV a bit low at 5%. This would also be pleasantly served at the same meal of ribs and brisket as the porter. Here's the ingredient list from the brewers:

Grains: 2 Row Brewers Malt, Munich, Roasted Barley, Caramel 40, Caramel 60, Chocolate, Extra Special Malt & Malted Wheat
    Hops: Chinook & Mount Hood

I'm thinking the Chocolate listed is the malt and not the addition of chocolate as they claim all their flavors are from the roasting and not any additives.
    Mmm...one of my favorite Highland beers, along with Thunderstruck. So tasty and easy drinking. I will be drinking a lot of this during the next few months (responsibly of course )

Highland Brewing Company's 20 beers for 20 years:

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/downl...-files/keg.pdf

Nice list. Wonder how many of these ricks68 and/or mattman91 have sampled...
    Since you asked...

Scoth Ale, Celtic Ale, Roslyn Red, Saison, and the Brown. I'd say I enjoyed the Scotch Ale the best. Normally not one of my favorite styles, but it was remember-able for me. Not as good as say, the nitro version of Old Chub, but very tasty.

Devildeac, I tried sporking you for your new clever signature, but it wouldn't let me

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Devildeac, I tried sporking you for your new clever signature, but it wouldn't let me
    Thanks. Keep trying. Not sure what I'll share with daughter #2 tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Since you asked...

Scoth Ale, Celtic Ale, Roslyn Red, Saison, and the Brown. I'd say I enjoyed the Scotch Ale the best. Normally not one of my favorite styles, but it was remember-able for me. Not as good as say, the nitro version of Old Chub, but very tasty.
    I wasn't a huge fan of the nitro Old Chub, a bit too much of a boozy taste to me, I thought. I still drank it and enjoyed it, but I don't think it is one of my favorite styles.

I made it a full month without buying any beer, but this thread made me buy more last night. I kept reading about everyone trying all these pumpkin and Octoberfest beers and had to go to my local liquor store to see what they had (unfortunately, not much, but I will be trying 6 Propeller pumpkin ales and a St. Ambroise Octoberfest in the next month or more.

I also very much enjoy devildeac's anti-cheating signature.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Hey CT,

Is it too late to place my order for a couple bottles of Hardywood's Gingerbread Stout and/or Gingerbread BBA Stout?

Can be cash or could trade you 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 of some NC brews.

Let me inquire as to availability and I'll let you know. I have met one of the assistant brewers and have his number.

GO DUKE!!! Beat Pitt!!

Just looked, release date is 11/8 so a week from tomorrow. Will do what I can, maybe get a keg

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Just looked, release date is 11/8 so a week from tomorrow. Will do what I can, maybe get a keg
    I'll have no idea what to do with a keg.

Oscar Blues G'Knight double red -- gotta admit, out defense drove me to drink today. It is a growler I picked up a while ago and it got sguffled to the back of the beer fridge. Nice head, good top of mouth bounce, perfect level of bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Oscar Blues G'Knight double red -- gotta admit, out defense drove me to drink today. It is a growler I picked up a while ago and it got sguffled to the back of the beer fridge. Nice head, good top of mouth bounce, perfect level of bitter.
    That's a really good ale. I had a snifter of that in DC several years ago that had been aged in pinot noir barrels, IIRC. And it was free during happy hour with my burger, which mad it even more outstanding.

RVA craft beer week started today, though I was a tad bit busy watching college fball to attend any events Hope to tomorrow and will report back. Amazing win today at Pitt!! Was shocked that Pitt ran right and not left or middle to set up the winning FG in reg. Bad coaching move, IMO.

I'll have no idea what to do with a keg.
    This statement makes me very, very sad ;-p