Page 297 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1972472872952962972982993073473977971297 ... LastLast
Results 5,921 to 5,940 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Fair warning to all!!!

I now own and possess a 1 bbl brewing system. Should I show up at a Duke fball game with a keg o' beer, do not be surprised. I now need to work on a mobile kegerator, but that's not such a big issue. "If I brew it, you will come," my new motto, or something like that Is there electricity supplied near Devil's Alley? If not, that should be one of the many upgrades to Duke sports-and very soon!! Cut would agree, I'm sure!

Seriously, I need to buy a few kegs and a kegging system next. Have a location nearby (my house) selected to start my test-kitchen; very amenable rent and plenty of traffic. Could be my first brewpub before the main brewery.

Run for cover!!

Eccentrica-Sub Noir Brewing

Well, it was only a two ounce sample but would have been worth another pint at $4 on any other occasion. This was a ginger-flavored Belgian tripel style ale. Poured a cloudy, golden color with a smallish head (tough to tell with such a small sample) and a very ginger-forward flavor but not overwhelming. Some light brown sugar from the Belgian candi sugar added and a bit of banana, clove and pepper. Dangerously drinkable low IBU (maybe 20-30), high ABV brew (9.7%).

They have about a half dozen small old bourbon barrels and one apple brandy cask that they are going to start using for some of their sours. Should be very interesting. They brew in such small batches that I suspect they'd be hard to locate outside of the Triangle area.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Not sure Bob Green reads this thread but this one's for you, sir:

http://www.greenflashbrew.com/virginia-beach/

They brew mostly hop-forward ales so I'm not sure Bob's tender palate and these hop monsters will get along very well but I'd bet he'll try their tasting room.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I now own and possess a 1 bbl brewing system. Should I show up at a Duke fball game with a keg o' beer, do not be surprised. I now need to work on a mobile kegerator, but that's not such a big issue. "If I brew it, you will come," my new motto, or something like that Is there electricity supplied near Devil's Alley? If not, that should be one of the many upgrades to Duke sports-and very soon!! Cut would agree, I'm sure!

Seriously, I need to buy a few kegs and a kegging system next. Have a location nearby (my house) selected to start my test-kitchen; very amenable rent and plenty of traffic. Could be my first brewpub before the main brewery.

Run for cover!!
    TNTDevil, one of our chefs, routinely brings a generator. Perhaps you can bring a growler or three.

I have 3 growlers now, so that's easily done

More will be available once I get my logo finished. Was already invited to go to one game with Dr. Feelgood's son, Sept. 20th I believe. Will try to make many more.

Headed to Charlotte for a concert this evening, thinking about hitting up Noda. I will report back if I get the chance.

Green Bullet-Green Flash Brewing

My next to last bottle from my birthday sampler 6er last month. Interesting, though a bit over the top hop monster. From the brewers:

"With the aim of finding new and unique ingredients, we honed in on New Zealand grown Pacific Gem and Green Bullet hops to create this adventurous Triple IPA. Green Bullet leaps onto your palate with bold, spicy pine and citrus flavors including tropical notes of mango and pineapple. The aggressive yet well-balanced finish will stun the senses of even the most skilled hop hunter."

My taste buds told me similar thoughts with more resin than tropical fruits. They've achieved a reasonable balance with the IBUs of 100+ and ABV of 10.1% but this one is still a bit difficult to handle. Poured a cloudy yellow-orange with a frothy head, this is labeled a triple IPA or TIPA or IIIPA, I guess. As I write about most beers in this genre, it would pair well with spicy/hot Indian or Chinese foods.

Rain Check-Sierra Nevada Brewing, Mills River, NC (no typo!)

Their web site says they have been trying to keep up with demand for their Pale Ale and Torpedo Ale at their recently opened location so I guess this is technically their first new brew from their new facility 10 miles south of Asheville. Labeled a spiced stout, it really is an imperial stout which poured an opaque, onyx hue with a foamy, mocha head. Brewed with ginger and lime, both fairly non-traditional ingredients for this style, the ginger was easily scented and tasted and the lime finished each sip with a slightly astringent quality. Faint hints of coffee appear early, too. I'd guess IBUs about 50 with the ABV stated at 8.9%. Worth a single at about $2.50 to sip/share/sample but not one I'd buy a 4 pack of, nor could I think of a good food pairing. Definitely a fall/winter brew but this one finally finishes my birthday 6er from last month, not the Green Bullet reviewed above.

Picked up MBC Spring Peeper, Mo and the NY Trappist beer today.
    Still hunting for MBC Lunch.

Too many good options!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Rain Check-Sierra Nevada Brewing, Mills River, NC (no typo!)

Their web site says they have been trying to keep up with demand for their Pale Ale and Torpedo Ale at their recently opened location so I guess this is technically their first new brew from their new facility 10 miles south of Asheville. Labeled a spiced stout, it really is an imperial stout which poured an opaque, onyx hue with a foamy, mocha head. Brewed with ginger and lime, both fairly non-traditional ingredients for this style, the ginger was easily scented and tasted and the lime finished each sip with a slightly astringent quality. Faint hints of coffee appear early, too. I'd guess IBUs about 50 with the ABV stated at 8.9%. Worth a single at about $2.50 to sip/share/sample but not one I'd buy a 4 pack of, nor could I think of a good food pairing. Definitely a fall/winter brew but this one finally finishes my birthday 6er from last month, not the Green Bullet reviewed above.
    I really wanted to try this as the first unique NC Sierra Nevada beer, but the description made me nervous.
    I may still try it but your review tells me at least my instinct was on point.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Too many good options!
    We are actually going to the MBC Sunday afternoon on our way from Boston to Bangor. Let me know if you don't get any. There might be room for one more bottle in the car but I gotta save room for Heady Topper and Hillstead Farm brews.

I really wanted to try this as the first unique NC Sierra Nevada beer, but the description made me nervous.
    I may still try it but your review tells me at least my instinct was on point.
    It's worth a 12 ounce bottle to buy now and sip/share in the fall. Wouldn't buy a 4 or 6 pack of it.

An explanation:

"In recognition of the 25th anniversary of this milestone year, North Coast Brewing and two other west coast members of the pioneering “Class of ’88,”—Rogue Ales and Deschutes Brewery—have collaborated on a trio of commemorative beers evolving from Fred’s style guidelines.

Each of the breweries has created its own distinctive interpretation of a barleywine. Brewers traveled to each other’s locations and teamed up to brew all three ales. Their common heritage, joint efforts and inherent camaraderie resulted in a cohesive set that allows beer aficionados to enjoy three examples of the style."

I thought this was pretty cool-another collabeeration.

This poured a clear bronze with a 2 fingered, foamy head. Notes of medium brown sugar, toasted breads and resin to start and a bit of syrup, tobacco and booze for the finish. Quite smooth for a 9-12 month old barleywine, much like Old Knucklehead, Old Foghorn and Old Boardhead and totally opposite to the roughness of Bigfoot. Deceptively and dangerously sippable. I'll finish the other half of the caged and corked 750 ml bottle I bought at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, KY last fall, tomorrow night and may report back. If this sounds intriguing, I have a second bottle...

Too many good options!
    We are actually going to the MBC Sunday afternoon on our way from Boston to Bangor. Let me know if you don't get any. There might be room for one more bottle in the car but I gotta save room for Heady Topper and Hillstead Farm brews.
    I will miss you by a week or so as I will be heading somewhere in that area next weekend. Will try to pick up whatever MBC stuff I can and maybe something in Portsmouth. I may also have to try out the Portland beer bar Bluebear mentioned last fall. Enjoy your travels.

Not sure Bob Green reads this thread but this one's for you, sir:

http://www.greenflashbrew.com/virginia-beach/

They brew mostly hop-forward ales so I'm not sure Bob's tender palate and these hop monsters will get along very well but I'd bet he'll try their tasting room.
    Maybe they will do a local version of Saison Diego, a departure from their general West Coast offerings . . .

Enjoy Craft Beer Month

Aug. 7 is National IPA Day. Ladies and gentlemen, start your tastebuds.

Aug. 7 is National IPA Day. Ladies and gentlemen, start your tastebuds.
    What will you be having to celebrate? I will be staying local...headed to The Wedge for an Iron Rail IPA, or two (a must for ALV visitors). Perhaps a Green Man IPA and a Freak of Nature DIPA from Wicked Weed.

Sunday I will be going to French Broad Brewery, so I guess I will celebrate for two days. I'm a fan of their IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    What will you be having to celebrate? I will be staying local...headed to The Wedge for an Iron Rail IPA, or two (a must for ALV visitors). Perhaps a Green Man IPA and a Freak of Nature DIPA from Wicked Weed.

Sunday I will be going to French Broad Brewery, so I guess I will celebrate for two days. I'm a fan of their IPA.
    Stone Ruination.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Stone Ruination.
    Good choice!

Anyone know if there is a Stone "Enjoy Buy IPA" out right now in NC?