Page 296 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1962462862942952962972983063463967961296 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,920 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Avoid RJ Rockers and the rest should take care of itself.
    I'm pretty sure SC is fighting hard to establish a beer scene and are a few years behind the rest of the US.
    I remember reading their brewing laws were a bit strict. Maybe not as strict as Utah, though. I think they have ABV limits, with a few breweries being exempt from that law (Unita?).

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    There are two TBonz locations in Charleston. They evidently serve beer that is brewed in either Myrtle Beach, SC or Liberty Steakhouse and Brewery in High Point, NC. I am familiar with the High Point Liberty's which prominently features the beer-making apperatus behind glass in the bar area. Their menu touts Gold, Silver and Bronze medals won by several of their beers entered in the Carolinas Championship of Beer, whatever that is, and for various years, including 2013.

I haven't been to the Liberty Steakhouse and Brewery in several years, but thoroughly enjoyed the Deep River Wheat and Nut Brown Ale when I was a semi-regular. Here is a menu which includes descriptions of their various offerings:

http://www.libertysteakhouseandbrewe..._HighPoint.pdf

I know of the connection of these locations from eating (and drinking!) at the TBonz that was located on Sullivan's Island. That one is apparently not open anymore.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will look for Tbonz...

Anyone try Wells brewery banana bread beer? I love beer and banana bread, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm trying to get some perspective from someone who's had it before I pop it open.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I remember reading their brewing laws were a bit strict. Maybe not as strict as Utah, though. I think they have ABV limits, with a few breweries being exempt from that law (Unita?).
    Utah's beer laws, at least in terms of ABV, are not so strict any more. I was out there a couple years ago and several local IIPAs, along with several of the Epic Brainless brews, were available for purchase at restaurants and state alcoholic beverage stores.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Anyone try Wells brewery banana bread beer? I love beer and banana bread, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm trying to get some perspective from someone who's had it before I pop it open.
    I haven't had one for several years but I remember liking it and thought the flavors lived up to the name. Not overly sweet and a bit doughy but well worth a single purchase. I'll see if I can locate an old review.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I haven't had one for several years but I remember liking it and thought the flavors lived up to the name. Not overly sweet and a bit doughy but well worth a single purchase. I'll see if I can locate an old review.
    Here it is from 2/26/2011:

Banana Bread Beer-Well's and Young's Brewing, UK

I think Cathy mentioned this a few weeks back or perhaps I did and Cathy said she'd like to taste it. She'll have to settle for the written taste as my son gave me a bottle for Christmas but made me promise not to drink it until he returned for a visit which is this weekend. This was our final beer of the evening tasted at the end of our pork tenderloin dinner. Four of us divided a 500 ml bottle and 2 thought it tasted like a baked banana pudding with the browned meringue on top and the other 2 of us thought it was like sliced banana bread just thawed from the freezer. It had a prominent nose and palate of perfectly ripened bananas with a nutty taste of baked walnuts or pecans. It was a light brown pour, probably an amber ale base, with an IBU in the 20-30 range and the ABV on the bottle is 5.2%. A nice brew with our session and our meal. It would not have been a good beverage with the German chocolate cake we shared for a couple birthday celebrations tonight. After the company departs, I will finish off the 2nd half of the Sweetwater specialty bomber I started last PM and will review that after our game.

Hope that helps.

I think Cathy mentioned this a few weeks back or perhaps I did and Cathy said she'd like to taste it. She'll have to settle for the written taste as my son gave me a bottle for Christmas but made me promise not to drink it until he returned for a visit which is this weekend. This was our final beer of the evening tasted at the end of our pork tenderloin dinner. Four of us divided a 500 ml bottle and 2 thought it tasted like a baked banana pudding with the browned meringue on top and the other 2 of us thought it was like sliced banana bread just thawed from the freezer. It had a prominent nose and palate of perfectly ripened bananas with a nutty taste of baked walnuts or pecans. It was a light brown pour, probably an amber ale base, with an IBU in the 20-30 range and the ABV on the bottle is 5.2%. A nice brew with our session and our meal. It would not have been a good beverage with the German chocolate cake we shared for a couple birthday celebrations tonight. After the company departs, I will finish off the 2nd half of the Sweetwater specialty bomber I started last PM and will review that after our game.

Hope that helps.
    Devildeac, the encyclopedia of ales.

Cuvée des Jacobins Rouge-Brouwerij Bockor

This was the first brew of a Belgian-inspired evening from 3 of the ales our son gave me as part of my 60 ounces for 60 years. We shared them on Tuesday night. Labeled as a Flemish sour ale, this poured a brilliant ruby-brown with a small head. Immediate aromas of dark cherries, rum and brown sugar gave way to tastes of the same along with candy-like tastes of Sour Patch kids or Warheads. The finish was vanilla and woody from its 18 months of barrel aging. I'll guess IBUs of about 30 and ABV of 5.5% made this a fabulous starter beer or one to sip with a fruit plate before or after dinner. From their website:

"Cuvée des Jacobins Rouge is a Flemish Sour Ale, red in color with a beguiling balance of malty sweetness and acidic sharpness. It is made from spontaneously fermented and barrel-aged beer of at least 18 months in age. The beer is cooled overnight in a large, shallow metal vessel called a coolship and then fermented and aged in large oak foudres which are made in France and assembled on-site at Bockor."

I love that word: foudres

http://www.omervanderghinste.be/site...%20(Small).jpg

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the notes, DD. Very good synopsis. I would say that with my first sip, I didn't get overpowered with banana, which is a good thing. I took a few sips back-to-back (and back-to-back again), and I noticed the banana taste did not come through as powerfully. However, after I took a slight break, I noticed the banana taste returned heavier this time, which surprised me. It's almost like my palate had to get used to the flavor. But near the end of the pint, it seemed that that the banana came through a bit stronger. It is a very sweet beer, and I would agree, doughy. I don't think I would ever drink more than one in a sitting, but it is something that I will definitely enjoy again in the (near) future.
    Sorry, DD, DBR won't let me give you beersporks this time...

Mooi & Meedogenloos (bottled 2/13/2012)- Brouwerij De Molen

This Belgian dark/strong ale was the 2nd in our tasting session Tuesday evening and another unique find by our son for part of my 60th birthday gift. Poured from a 330 ml bottle, this was a dark brown hue with scents of dark rum and dark, dried fruits. Tastes matched perfectly with some dark brown sugar sweetness, too. Think of this as an imperial Belgian dubbel/brown ale as the ABV was 10.2% with an EBU (European Bitterness Units) of 78, which I find rather high as this ale had only mild to moderate sensations of bitterness. This was an outstanding after dinner beverage by itself but would also accompany caramel, cinnamon or chocolate desserts well, too.

http://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/i...eer_126216.jpg

Thanks for the notes, DD. Very good synopsis. I would say that with my first sip, I didn't get overpowered with banana, which is a good thing. I took a few sips back-to-back (and back-to-back again), and I noticed the banana taste did not come through as powerfully. However, after I took a slight break, I noticed the banana taste returned heavier this time, which surprised me. It's almost like my palate had to get used to the flavor. But near the end of the pint, it seemed that that the banana came through a bit stronger. It is a very sweet beer, and I would agree, doughy. I don't think I would ever drink more than one in a sitting, but it is something that I will definitely enjoy again in the (near) future.
    Sorry, DD, DBR won't let me give you beersporks this time...
    Glad that helped and glad you liked it. I remember having my doubts/hesitations about it but have pleasant memories about its tastes. No problem about the beer sporks. You can owe me or buy me a pint at a tailgate sometime.

Oooh, just noted you're from the Asheville area so you can bring a Wicked Weed sampler to a home football game sometime this season along with ricks68 and mattman91 ;-) .

Mooi & Meedogenloos (bottled 2/13/2012)- Brouwerij De Molen

This Belgian dark/strong ale was the 2nd in our tasting session Tuesday evening and another unique find by our son for part of my 60th birthday gift. Poured from a 330 ml bottle, this was a dark brown hue with scents of dark rum and dark, dried fruits. Tastes matched perfectly with some dark brown sugar sweetness, too. Think of this as an imperial Belgian dubbel/brown ale as the ABV was 10.2% with an EBU (European Bitterness Units) of 78, which I find rather high as this ale had only mild to moderate sensations of bitterness. This was an outstanding after dinner beverage by itself but would also accompany caramel, cinnamon or chocolate desserts well, too.

http://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/i...eer_126216.jpg
    Just discovered this:

Mooi & Meedogenloos is Dutch for Beautiful & Ruthless.

Not sure what it is in Swahili.

Guess you'd have to go to (hell) class to learn that.

Espresso Stout-Bierbrouwerij Emelisse

Stats/vitals:

Algemeen
    Ingrediënten Water, Gerstemout, Hop, Gist, Koffie
    Technische gegevens
    Alcoholpercentage 9,5%
    EBU 75
    EBC 117
    Plato 22
    Hopsoorten Nugget, Cascade

Sorry, no Swahili translation. What I found interesting was the use of Nugget and Cascade hops, which I think of as typically US varieties, but, figuring the Europeans have been brewing for centuries, We just mighta stolen them from overseas.

Poured a dark, dark brown with little head, this beer resembled its moniker with strong coffee aromas and tastes. Comprised of 90% Arabica and 10% Robusta beans, the tastes requested a splash of cream and sugar. This was also a 330 ml bottle shared with our son. It's an imperial stout with the
    EBU and ABV stated above. There was a bit of "chunkiness" near the end so the last 15 ml was decanted very slowly and carefully so there was a bit of a residue in the glass and bottle after the tasting. Not a summer beer and not one I'd seek out again but very nice for a nightcap. This would make a nice pairing with a molten chocolate cake or torte.

Calling duketaylor

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101834531#_gus

Should be a link to an article about hop contracts...

image.jpg

Stone Ruination.

Had this in bottles before, first time as a growler. Sharp hops, fresh, not as smoky. What beer should look like.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/101834531#_gus

Should be a link to an article about hop contracts...

Thanks for that, fuse! I can see what's in the future, sorta-escalating hops prices, hence, I'm growing my own, or, at least, starting to, and will store as much as I can. I've had an educational experience in the last month with hops, namely, I need to change some of my practices in the growing aspect and planting side. I've taken this year to experiment and have learned a lot. I visited my two plants on my engineer's premises today and it's about time to harvest; one plant is absurdly healthy and full, the other fairly solid. My back yard is doing OK so far. I will be doing cuttings/plantings over the next two weeks.

I will receive my 1 bbl brewery tomorrow. I bought a burner system and 4 fermenters (55 gals. each) this week. Thus, my test kitchen is ready to be set up very soon. Mass quantities for Duke football this fall I can bring a keg to a game!! Baby steps so far, but getting closer! Can only do so much on a limited budget.

Backcountry Black IPA-Deep River Brewing (Clayton, NC)

This was a 16 ounce can and was part of a mixed 6er I assembled a couple weeks ago to showcase some local brews for my wife's cousin who visited from Atlanta. After tasting a pale ale and IPA, she decided she really didn't like higher IBUs so much so I stored this tall boy back in the 'fridge without opening and saved it for myself.

Poured a moderately foamy, very dark brown with a variety of scents and flavors. They claim 5 unique malts so I thought the usual citrus and pine for aromas accompanied by some chocolate, grapefruit, resin and even a bit of licorice for tastes. I'll estimate IBUs about 60-70 and the ABV is 7.9%. The website labels this an imperial pale ale and the stats match but I'll be honest, I'm not sure why this couldn't be called a black India pale ale instead. This would be a nice friend to share several ways at a tailgate with some smoked brisket, ribs or cajun burgers.

House of Clay-Raleigh Brewing Company

Very nice write-up of this rye IPA from the brewers, including stats, description, naming of the brew and history of the style:

http://raleighbrewingcompany.com/wp-...ouseofClay.pdf

My musings:

Bomber divided over two nights as another beer thought to be too harsh for my wife's cousin's taste buds. Poured a hazy orange-amber with a moderate light tan head. Pretty much all you'd expect from the style with some mango and papaya, a bit of caramel with the rye imparting the usual mustiness. The use of cane sugar in an IPA is an interesting twist, too. IBUs of 68 and ABV at 7.2% usher this properly into the category. The rye makes the tastes a bit unusual but would be another good beverage to share with friends at a grilling session in the fall at Devils' Alley.

image.jpg

Allagash saison ale.

Bright summer beverage. A bit yeasty for my taste, but crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    image.jpg

Allagash saison ale.

Bright summer beverage. A bit yeasty for my taste, but crisp.
    I'll see your Allagash saison and raise you one pint of Hi Yo, Saison from Sub Noir Brewing (http://subnoir.net/), Raleigh’s Boutique Brewery & Imbibery.

This joint is honestly a block off a rail line headed to downtown Raleigh from north Raleigh and located in a line of shops in a renovated warehouse basically. We stopped by to see if they were open on our way from a wedding at a Catholic church in Dunn, NC to the reception at another Catholic church a couple miles from center city. Why these folks got married 45 miles away from their respective homes and the reception is a mystery to me.

This sub-nano brewery is a seating area for about 20 with a small counter, two taps and a brewing area not much bigger than our kitchen. A very nice beermaid attends to the pouring and two kinda large, friendly fellows take care of the brewing in two half-barrel fermenters/tuns. This draft was served in a sexy Sub Noir goblet with a small, fizzy head and had aromas of lemon grass, straw, unbaked bread and unripe apples and pears. Tastes were yeast, more unripe pears and apples and a hint of lemon/citrus and black pepper. I'd estimate IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 6%, both in the park for the style. I can see why OPK might not like a saison as the tastes are a bit unusual, but fairly refreshing. Cost: $3 for the goblet o' beer, bringing my July tab to $138, which should be the finally tally as I just might make it to the end of the month with the supply I have on hand.