Page 292 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1922422822902912922932943023423927921292 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Picked up two growlers today:

1. Green Flash Le Freak. Love this in a bottle, looking forward to a growler. Yum yum yum.

2. Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre. Enjoyed this last week too.

Weekend cannot get here soon enough!

(also got a growler of Strecher Grape Soda -- young sir OPK digs it mightily and I find it very tasty too)
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Picked up 3 different Green Flash singles this week with my beerthday gift certificate from last month. On call this weekend so those reviews will be posted next week. Le Freak is an unusual beer (Belgian IPA/triple blend/hybrid?), IIRC, but I seem to remember that I rather liked it. I'll see if I can unearth a review from a few years ago.
    Found it!

From 2/2/10:

Le Freak-Green Flash Brewing-What a complex brew. I split the bomber over 2 nights and had pretty much the same thoughts each night. This is a hybrid, blending American IIPA and Belgian Triple styles. What I tasted was the mild pink grapefruit hoppiness of the IIPA as expected with the estery taste of bananas and zest of orange from the triple. This is a bottle-conditioned ale and pours a cloudy yellow-orange with some of the fizz of the triple and the foaminess of the IIPA. It is fairly well-balanced with the malts giving it a some light brown rum characteristics and an ABV of 9.2% and the IBU is somewhat higher than I would have guessed. They are 101 which makes it higher than Bigfoot. I'm not sure which entree I would match with this as I tasted it with a crisp Granny Smith apple one night and enjoyed it by itself the next night. I've got another bomber and this one will be shared this fall at a Brunchgate .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Found it!

From 2/2/10:

Le Freak-Green Flash Brewing-What a complex brew. I split the bomber over 2 nights and had pretty much the same thoughts each night. This is a hybrid, blending American IIPA and Belgian Triple styles. What I tasted was the mild pink grapefruit hoppiness of the IIPA as expected with the estery taste of bananas and zest of orange from the triple. This is a bottle-conditioned ale and pours a cloudy yellow-orange with some of the fizz of the triple and the foaminess of the IIPA. It is fairly well-balanced with the malts giving it a some light brown rum characteristics and an ABV of 9.2% and the IBU is somewhat higher than I would have guessed. They are 101 which makes it higher than Bigfoot. I'm not sure which entree I would match with this as I tasted it with a crisp Granny Smith apple one night and enjoyed it by itself the next night. I've got another bomber and this one will be shared this fall at a Brunchgate .
    I've seen this one a few times, but never tried it. Thank's for posting this, I will definitely seek it out!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I've seen this one a few times, but never tried it. Thank's for posting this, I will definitely seek it out!
    I expect OPK to be posting his thoughts about it soon, too.

Imperial IPA-C*arolina Brewing Company (brewers of tasty liquids)

Their description:

"We brew a small batch of something special every year to celebrate our Anniversary. The beer is released on July 3rd at our Anniversary celebration at 42nd Street Oyster Bar. Come and join us for the fun. In 2014, our 19th year, we are making an Imperial IPA. It is hopped with a ridiculous amount of Columbus, Magnum and Cascade and then dry-hopped with more of the same and an added dose of Crystal hops. There is just enough malt character to hold it all together. Hop heads delight, your beer is coming.
    It is 9.1% ABV and 95 IBU."

Mine:

I sub-divided a 12 ounce bottle last PM with 4 ounces for my wife's cousin, 4 ounces for me and the remainder tonight to be enjoyed after a black IPA I think. Poured a golden-yellow with a small head, this IIPA's scents are all pine and resin. Somewhat viscous and oily but not on the order of an imperial stout like Ten Fidy. There's a bit of dried apricot on the palate with some caramel sweetness to try and help balance the hopitude of this pungent ale. It's a bit heavy on the bitterness and a bit of a different take on the style. It wouldn't become a favorite as I'd much rather have a DFH 90 Minute or a Great Lakes Chillwave or Lake Erie Monster but certainly worth a tasting.

Picked up 3 different Green Flash singles this week with my beerthday gift certificate from last month. On call this weekend so those reviews will be posted next week. Le Freak is an unusual beer (Belgian IPA/triple blend/hybrid?), IIRC, but I seem to remember that I rather liked it. I'll see if I can unearth a review from a few years ago.
    Opened it tonight. This is my best new find in awhile, especially for hot summers where you don't want a pilsner or fruit beer or a real heavy chew. Yum yum yum. Hope they have it during fb season so I can growl one on up to Dur'm.

dd nailed the Flavors. The growler is a bit fresher than the bottles I had last time, so not as smoky.

Paired it with lemon-pepper seared tuna, actually, which worked nice. Bet it would rock anything with nuts (pecan chicken, Pad Thai) or a non-savory fish/chicken/pork.

Steak or lamb -- I am going with a Cabernet or Shiraz respectively anyway, sorry. But this may not be the pair you seek.

Speaking of grapefruit, Green Flash also has Palate Wrecker which is like sucking on a grapefruit. Really not my cup of tea. But everything else they have done that I have tried has been top notch.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 07-10-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Bottled my BBQ beer today, about a week+ to condition a little. May venture out tomorrow and buy my "test kitchen," which is highly transportable and qualifies as true brewery equipment should I have it in multiple establishments/breweries

Found it!

From 2/2/10:

Le Freak-Green Flash Brewing . . . I'm not sure which entree I would match with this as I tasted it with a crisp Granny Smith apple one night and enjoyed it by itself the next night. I've got another bomber and this one will be shared this fall at a Brunchgate .
    Le Freak took me a bit to get used to -- I was not ready for the combo when this style first hit the scene. However, I came around when I was at an Italian restaurant, and needed a follow up beverage after having the best glass of vermouth I have ever had (Carpano Bianco -- a real refreshing treat). It was hot, and I did not want regular wine after the intro, so I chose Le Freak for the main attraction.

We were splitting appetizers and small plates, and it went perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Please report back with your samplings when you are able to type coherently. That should be worth 20-30 posts.

July beer costs $67. Dang, that's over half of what I spent the first 6 months of the year.

July beer costs $67. Dang, that's over half of what I spent the first 6 months of the year.
    Im assuming this doesn't include bar drinking...

I spend close to that much a month at breweries :/

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Im assuming this doesn't include bar drinking...

I spend close to that much a month at breweries :/
    That total includes all beer purchases for the month so far which is all bottles/cans with no bar/restaurant costs incurred yet in July. Glad I saved my $$ from Jan-June. I'm dreading the costs for August as we'll make a trip through the northeast with special stops planned in Maine, Vermont and upstate New York, too.

I refuse to embarass myself with the multiplier I'd apply to your number.

That said, still lower than in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I refuse to embarass myself with the multiplier I'd apply to your number.

That said, still lower than in the past.
    Better start saving your shillings for what I anticipate hauling back from select stops during our Tour D'Northeast.

Hardywood Bourbon Cru
    Hardywood Float
    Allagash White
    Allagash Curiex
    BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien
    BFM SqRt 225
    Boulevard Saison Brett
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
    Strangeways Uberlin
    St. Bernardus Extra 4
    3 Brothers Blend #1
    Ardent Honey Ginger
    COTU Pocahoptas
    Lickinghole Bourbon Triple

Blue Mountain Hopwork Orange IPA
    Apocalypse Lustful Maiden
    Devil's Backbone Pear Lager
    Victory White Monkey
    Oskar Blue Ten Fidy
    Dogfish Head Namaste
    Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
    Firestone Walker Wookey Union BIPA
    Firestone Walker Double Jack IPA
    Bockor Vanderghinste
    Evil Twin Lil B
    Stillwater Goose Gone Wild

These are the beers on tap at Mekong for the NBExpo this week; I'll try to go by Monday to sample a few (can't do too much as my boy's have hoops at 9 that night). I know many of you have experience with many of these, but are a few I can sample and review? I want to try DB's pear lager, but I can get that any time. Taking suggestions

OB Ten Fiddy is wonderful, but I would love your take on the Blue Mountain Hopwork Orange IPA. Wicked Weed did an IPA (maybe a pale) that was brewed with oranges that I didn't particularity care for. Also, I have a snifter glass from Blue Mountain, but I dont think I've had any of their beers...

I hope you have a blast, and look forward to reading your reviews.

Hardywood Bourbon Cru
    Hardywood Float
    Allagash White
    Allagash Curiex
    BFM SqRt 225
    Boulevard Saison Brett
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
    Strangeways Uberlin
    St. Bernardus Extra 4
    3 Brothers Blend #1
    Ardent Honey Ginger
    COTU Pocahoptas

Victory White Monkey
    Oskar Blue Ten Fidy
    Dogfish Head Namaste
    Bockor Vanderghinste
    Evil Twin Lil B

These are the beers on tap at Mekong for the NBExpo this week; I'll try to go by Monday to sample a few (can't do too much as my boy's have hoops at 9 that night). I know many of you have experience with many of these, but are a few I can sample and review? I want to try DB's pear lager, but I can get that any time. Taking suggestions
    I'd hit the Firestone Walker since it doesn't seem to be generally available on the East Coast.
    Abbey St Bon Chien
    Lickinghole (ugh!) Bourbon Tripel (assuming good from style, not from name ;-)

Have fun!

Hardywood Bourbon Cru
    Hardywood Float
    Allagash White
    Allagash Curiex
    BFM SqRt 225
    Boulevard Saison Brett
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
    Strangeways Uberlin
    St. Bernardus Extra 4
    3 Brothers Blend #1
    Ardent Honey Ginger
    COTU Pocahoptas

Victory White Monkey
    Oskar Blue Ten Fidy
    Dogfish Head Namaste
    Bockor Vanderghinste
    Evil Twin Lil B

Two ounces of each one. My bleary eyes counted 26, so that gives you the equivalent of 4 1/3 beers. Get a designated driver and cheerleader for your boys.

image.jpg

I love this name and tag line.

Unapologetic IPA.

Who says the world needs another IPA?

We do.
    The beer -- a collaboration between Stone, Heretic and Beachwood (?) -- is a worthy new IPA. Overflowing with fresh hops, it has enough character to make me want to pick this out of the line up at the local store. It is nice that people can still come up with new flavors in a style that has become ubiquitous.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    image.jpg

I love this name and tag line.

The beer -- a collaboration between Stone, Heretic and Beachwood (?) -- is a worthy new IPA. Overflowing with fresh hops, it has enough character to make me want to pick this out of the line up at the local store. It is nice that people can still come up with new flavors in a style that has become ubiquitous.
    An excellent point, and one I feel can be attributed to the continued emergence of new hops.