Page 271 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1712212612692702712722732813213717711271 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,420 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Expedition Stout-Bell's Brewery

Not sure how/where/when I acquired this but, when in doubt, give fuse the credit and a hearty thank you. There are two sets of numbers on the bottle. One was on the label on the back of the bottle and was: 9384. The other was on a sticker on the cap and was: 81239. Not sure either of those matches a brewing or "enjoy by" date.

I divided the 12 ounce bottle over two nights as a "chaser" for another lighter weight brew. Pour was onyx with a small, beige head. There were a lot of scents and taste happening here including espresso, unsweetened chocolate, molasses, dark fruits and a trace of licorice. Roasted, mildly bitter flavor with estimated IBUs of 50-60 and the ABV was 10.5%. Always check before you sip. I did see this at one of the specialty shops or Total Wine this winter for about $15-16 for the 6er so it was a bit spendy but this was a trader (I guess) and well worth having one this spring as I'm thinking it has been several years since I sipped this brew. Sadly though, there are none left to age a year or three.
    I think this was part of a big group of stouts I offered you.
    Bell's moved to year dating in 2012 or 2013. They used to have a code lookup on their website to translate the number to a brew date. 9384 translates to October 15, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I think this was part of a big group of stouts I offered you.
    Bell's moved to year dating in 2012 or 2013. They used to have a code lookup on their website to translate the number to a brew date. 9384 translates to October 15, 2009.
    Cool, another aged stout that I savored. Thanks. Anchor Brewing uses coding, too. I learned that several years ago when I bought a "reasonably" priced Old Foghorn 6er and then forgot what the system was.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

S.N.A.F.U. IPA (draft; fresh; not aged)-Moon River Brewing

I chose this over the 9 beer sampler (4 ounces each) last PM for a couple reasons. The first reason was that I wished to remain coherent and conscious for the remainder of the evening. Secondly, the hops and malts sounded intriguing and they were. Lots of citrus on presentation and not just grapefruit. It was more like a tropical juice blend aroma with orange, pineapple and mango, too. Served as an 18 ounce portion for a buck off during happy hour, it was orange-yellow with a small foamy head. Tastes of the same fruits with a little pine and resin, balanced with the English and wheat grains. I'd guess the IBUs in the 50-60 range with the ABV at 6%. It paired nicely with a giant (shared) plate of nachos and left me too full to even ask for a 1-2 ounce sample of their Swamp Fox IPA, thereby erasing another post I had planned.

The brewery list:

http://www.moonriverbrewing.com/our-beers/the-beer-list

The story behind the song and the brewery's name (sort of):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_River

The salient paragraph:

"Comments about the song have noted that it is particularly reminiscent of Mercer's youth in the Southern United States. An inlet near Savannah, Georgia, Johnny Mercer's hometown, was named Moon River in honor of him and this song."

We are in Savannah, BTW.

Not particularly fond of Mercer after my last trip to Raleigh!!

Thank you mattman91 !!!

Wow- I'm not sure what your day job is, but you have a future in shipping precious goods!

All four beers arrived immaculately bubble wrapped and crazy fast. You were not kidding!

Now I just need them to chill so I can enjoy.

Thank you so much!!!!

Revolution Brewing Co Anti-Hero IPA, Chicago

Anti-Hero IPA
    This iconic ale features a blend of four hop varieties which creates a crisp bitterness and imparts massive floral and citrus aromas.

INDIA PALE ALE
    ABV 6.5%
    IBU70
    Profile: An American hop assault
    Color: Brilliant Copper

This is from Revolution Brewing in Chicago, found it on tap.
    Tried to find out what the 4 hop varieties were, no luck yet.
    Thought I saw it mentioned that this is a "rye" version. ?

I believe there is a Revolution IPA or brewing company in NC.,I think I saw that when I was looking this up.

For me it was a nice IPA, not overly bitter, had great flavor.
    It might have been much better had the pizza I had it with been better than marginal.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Anti-Hero IPA
    This iconic ale features a blend of four hop varieties which creates a crisp bitterness and imparts massive floral and citrus aromas.

INDIA PALE ALE
    ABV 6.5%
    IBU70
    Profile: An American hop assault
    Color: Brilliant Copper

This is from Revolution Brewing in Chicago, found it on tap.
    Tried to find out what the 4 hop varieties were, no luck yet.
    Thought I saw it mentioned that this is a "rye" version. ?

I believe there is a Revolution IPA or brewing company in NC.,I think I saw that when I was looking this up.

For me it was a nice IPA, not overly bitter, had great flavor.
    It might have been much better had the pizza I had it with been better than marginal.
    Here ya go-a NC brew map. Not sure of the date but I recognize some new breweries on there.

http://www.ncbeer.org/brewery-map/

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Wow- I'm not sure what your day job is, but you have a future in shipping precious goods!

All four beers arrived immaculately bubble wrapped and crazy fast. You were not kidding!

Now I just need them to chill so I can enjoy.

Thank you so much!!!!
    It was my pleasure! I hope you enjoy!

Great site.

Here ya go-a NC brew map. Not sure of the date but I recognize some new breweries on there.

http://www.ncbeer.org/brewery-map/
    Thanks for the link, great site.
    I did check and did not see any mention of a Revolution brewery or IPA, in NC.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

I feel like this needs to be said...

Lexington Avenue Brewing (aka The Lab) is a wonderful place to have a date, or hang out with friends. Good food, with a lively atmosphere (music, comedy, trivia, etc).The beer, however, is definitely bottom of the barrel as far as Asheville brews go. If they could up their beer game, I would be a usual there.

Hibernation Ale-Great Divide Brewing

This is a bottle, well, actually, 5 leftovers I discovered last week buried under some Christmas decorations while tidying up the garage. Classified as an English style old ale, it poured a dark brown with rather little head. Aromas are rich with toffee, dark caramel, and hints of espresso with tastes to match. The finish is a mildly dry, slightly bitter one but not unpleasant. They've brewed this as their winter beer since 1995 and I don't believe there are any additives. No specific grains listed but, if it's an English old ale, I'd wager a brew or two that Maris Otter malts figure prominently in the brewing process along with Tettnang and/or Saaz hops, but those are just speculation. I'd guess IBUs around 30-40 and the ABV is 8.7% so pretty typical for the style but a wee bit high for a standard winter ale. Labeling on the bottle was "brewed on 9/20/13." Buy a 6er next winter if you find one for sharing in front of a fire, sipping with some smoked turkey or brisket around Thanksgiving or with some figgy pudding around Christmas time and don't forget to invite some friends so you can trade a few other winter brews at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

Lexington Avenue Brewing (aka The Lab) is a wonderful place to have a date, or hang out with friends. Good food, with a lively atmosphere (music, comedy, trivia, etc).The beer, however, is definitely bottom of the barrel as far as Asheville brews go. If they could up their beer game, I would be a usual there.
    How about Pisgah and French Broad brews?

How about Pisgah and French Broad brews?
    Pisgah is very good. Especially the pale ale, probably one of the best in the state. It is completely organic, and the water source is basically right down the road.

French Broad is just ok, to me atleast. The Wee Heavy-er is probably my favorite from them.

Pisgah is very good. Especially the pale ale, probably one of the best in the state. It is completely organic, and the water source is basically right down the road.

French Broad is just ok, to me atleast. The Wee Heavy-er is probably my favorite from them.
    My favorites, in no particular order are ; Green Man, Wicked Weed, Hiwire, Twin Leaf, and Highland.

Burial is also up there, but they are VERY small. The tasting room is only open three days a week and they do not distribute yet, obviously.

Anybody here visited Hops in Crystal City, very near Old Town Alexandria? Had lunch there today, quite impressed overall for an Applebee's-type restaurant with a brewery. Would love to hear any reviews out there.
    Last edited by duketaylor; 05-14-2014 at 06:48 PM.

New Belgium Snapshot Wheat

I wasn't planing to try New Belgium Snapshot tonight, so call it a happy accident.

Bright, fruity but a bit nontraditional for a wheat beer.
    I like it. A lot.

I wasn't quite sure why until I referenced the New Belgium website.
    It's a blend of a sour wort and a "normal" wort.
    That plus the usual coriander/ grains of paradise wheat beer additions makes for a fun drink.

New Belgium has made a nasty habit of brewing good seasonals and then retiring them.
    I hope Snapshot does not have a similar fate.
    I need to make room in the fridge before I go pick up a six pack but this fits nicely as an easy summer beer.
    I recommend you try it and see for yourself.

I had this at a pint night at Juicy Lucy's a few weeks ago. It was very tasty and would make for an excellent summertime baseball watching brew!

Side note:

Along with the free glass, I got a keychain bottle opener as well

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Anybody here visited Hops in Crystal City, very near Old Town Alexandria? Had lunch there today, quite impressed overall for an Applebee's-type restaurant with a brewery. Would love to hear any reviews out there.
    It has been a few years (maybe April, 2010) but I think we were there for a meeting/vacation. Don't remember much good or bad. Probably had a sampler. I'll see if I've got reviews somewhere.

I would say great food, poor beer. A friend just got hired as a brewer there, so I am hopeful they get it together.

My favorites, in no particular order are ; Green Man, Wicked Weed, Hiwire, Twin Leaf, and Highland.

Burial is also up there, but they are VERY small. The tasting room is only open three days a week and they do not distribute yet, obviously.
    Green Man, yup. Sipping a classic Gaelic Ale from Highland at the moment (a can't miss for visitors- their evening outdoor music is perfect). Also partial to APBC Shiva IPA and Ninja Porter, and Altamont Brewery Pale Ale.

Not the biggest fan of Wicked Weed, but I know I am in the minority. Seems like style over substance to me.

Hidden gem: little Oysterhouse on Haywood Rd. Treat yo self.

/2 cents from AvL