Page 27 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937771275271027 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    After spending way too much time on this thread, I actually tried a beer float. I used a Saranac Caramel Porter with Breyer's vanilla ice cream. Surprise! It was pretty good. The caramel porter is too sweet by itself but worked very well with the ice cream. It had just a touch of hops so that you could tell it was beer and not root beer. I may try it again sometime.

Other beers: I spent a few days in Lexington with my daughter and son-in-law. Yes, they both have UK degrees. I tried a couple of 6ers from Bluegrass Brewing Co. The Altbier is a balanced amber ale, and the American Pale Ale is very hoppy. Both are drinkable but not worth importing - better than your average grocery store beer.
    In honor of the return of Tilly's cat Katie, Tilly has promised me a beer float upon my next visit to alma mater. I'll try it.

Thanks for the word on Louisville's Bluegrass Brewing. Is it any better than Alltech's Lexington Brewing Company?

Thanks,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    No J breweries that I could find/remember(just slipping 1 PW entry on to the list I am trying to complete with some degree of character and integrity )
    Not at all surprising you would slip this in to pad your post count. I would have been disappointed if you hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    In honor of the return of Tilly's cat Katie, Tilly has promised me a beer float upon my next visit to alma mater. I'll try it.

Thanks for the word on Louisville's Bluegrass Brewing. Is it any better than Alltech's Lexington Brewing Company?

Thanks,
    Lavabe
    I was wondering if you'd go public with this. Can't wait to have a beer float with you.

ymm, beer

After spending way too much time on this thread, I actually tried a beer float. I used a Saranac Caramel Porter with Breyer's vanilla ice cream. Surprise! It was pretty good. The caramel porter is too sweet by itself but worked very well with the ice cream. It had just a touch of hops so that you could tell it was beer and not root beer. I may try it again sometime.

Other beers: I spent a few days in Lexington with my daughter and son-in-law. Yes, they both have UK degrees. I tried a couple of 6ers from Bluegrass Brewing Co. The Altbier is a balanced amber ale, and the American Pale Ale is very hoppy. Both are drinkable but not worth importing - better than your average grocery store beer.

I've also been drinking an occasional Victory Golden Monkey. This is a Belgian (tripel) style beer with a distinct spice taste (clove, cinnamon?) and citrus. It's very drinkable and smooth despite its 9.5% ABV.
    Ooh, another beer float review. That makes 4 now. Any other takers out there?

I am waiting for Lavabe to visit Ky and bring back some trading brews.

I think the spice (or one of them) is coriander, a typical one for Belgian tripples and white ales, too. This is kind of a poor man's Duvel as it lacks the Belgian lace(head) typical of this style, Duvel especially. This is not to diss this brew as I really like it as it represents the style well at about 1/2 the cost .

Ooh, another beer float review. That makes 4 now. Any other takers out there?
    I'm in. Upon my return to Athens, I've still got a couple bottles in my refrigerator and I'll pick up a pint of Vanilla Ice Cream. Speaking of ice cream, has anyone tried the Edy's Thin Mint (Girl Scout Cookie) Ice Cream? My word! That stuff is heavenly.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Not at all surprising you would slip this in to pad your post count. I would have been disappointed if you hadn't.

I was wondering if you'd go public with this. Can't wait to have a beer float with you.
    1. Wait 'til I get to the Q list (and I don't mean the pulled or chopped varieties ). Then there are the X breweries, and the, oh, never mind .

2. I want to watch this one...

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'm in. Upon my return to Athens, I've still got a couple bottles in my refrigerator and I'll pick up a pint of Vanilla Ice Cream. Speaking of ice cream, has anyone tried the Edy's Thin Mint (Girl Scout Cookie) Ice Cream? My word! That stuff is heavenly.
    well, I guess that belongs on this thread as you mentioned beer . I don't think I would use the Mint Ice Cream in a beer float, however. Hey, there's an idea-a Ymm ice cream thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Didn't try Alltech. My son-in-law had some Auchentoshan Single Malt Scotch he wanted to get rid of. So in 3 days I only drank 2 6ers.

Other beers: Thirsty Dog's Old Leghumper porter- you have to try it just for the name! The reviews on beeradvocate.com are pretty good, but the glass I had on tap at County Grill was sour. I really didn't like it.

Green Valley's Wild Hops (organic barley) is a very well balanced lager. Good malt and hops. I drink as much of this as anything else. I usually have 6 to 8 micros in the fridge, and I drink a Wild Hops while I'm trying to decide what to drink.

ymm, beer

Didn't try Alltech. My son-in-law had some Auchentoshan Single Malt Scotch he wanted to get rid of. So in 3 days I only drank 2 6ers.

Other beers: Thirsty Dog's Old Leghumper porter- you have to try it just for the name! The reviews on beeradvocate.com are pretty good, but the glass I had on tap at County Grill was sour. I really didn't like it.

Green Valley's Wild Hops (organic barley) is a very well balanced lager. Good malt and hops. I drink as much of this as anything else. I usually have 6 to 8 micros in the fridge, and I drink a Wild Hops while I'm trying to decide what to drink.
    3 days=2 6ers WHAT?-You oughta be posting and reviewing micros at an Earl Jam or BB pace

Ymm, beer

K time(no, our coach does not own a brewery):

Kalamazoo(Bell's)-Amber, Brown, Kalamazoo Stout, Java Stout, Cherry Stout, Oberon, Pale Ale, Winter White, Third Coast, Two Headed, Vanilla Porter, Old Ale, Porter, Double Cream Stout, Expedition Stout
    Kalik-Kalik, Gold
    Kulmbacher-Eisbock, EKU 28, Export, Pils, Hefeweizen, Weizenbock, Weiss, Dunkelweiss
    Kwak-Kwak

ymm, beer

The L-L-L L-list

LaChouffe-LaChouffe, McChouffe
    Lagunitas-Gnarlywine, Imperial Stout, IPA, Maximus, Pale Ale
    Left Coast-Pale Ale, Brown Ale
    Left Hand-Black Jack Porter, Imperial Stout, JuJu Ginger, Milk Stout, Sawtooth
    Legend-Brown, Lager, Pilsner, Porter
    Leinenkugel-Amber, Berry Weiss, Honey Weiss, Sunrise Wheat
    Liefmans-Kriek, Frambozen, Gueze, Lambic, Rene Gueze, Lucifer

ymm, beer

omission: Lees-Harvest Ale

Now, the Mmmmm list:

Mad River-John Barleycorn, Steelhead EPA, Steelhead Extra Stout, Steelhead Scotch Porter
    Magic Hat-#9
    Mash House-Hoppy Hour IPA
    McEwan's-Scothch Ale, Export
    McAuslan's-Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Extra Pale Ale, Brown, Blonde
    Mendocino-Eye of the Hawk, Talon, Peregrine Pale Ale, Blue Heron Pale Ale, Black Hawk Stout, Anniversary
    Mobjack-Pale Ale
    Moctezuma-Sol, Superior, Dos Equis, Tecate, Carta Blanca
    Modelo-Negro Modelo
    Mt. Hood-Ice Axe IPA, Pinnacle ESB
    Moylan's-Imperial Stout, IPA, Kilt Lifter, Double IPA, Old Blarney

ymm, beer

New Belgium and other N breweries:

New Amsterdam-Amber, Black and Tan, IPA, New York Ale
    New Belgium-1554, 2 Below, Abbey, Biere de Mars, Blue Paddle, Tripple, Fat Tire, Frambozen, Mothership Wit, Porch Swing, Skinny Dip, Springboard, Wheat
    New Glarus-Apple Ale, Brown Ale, Pils, Raspberry Tart, Solstice Wheat, Spotted Cow, Uff Da, Wisconsin Red
    North Coast-Acme California Brown, Pale Ale, IPA, Blue Star Wheat, Brother Theolonius, Anniversary, Christmas, Old No. 38 Stout, Old Rasputin, Old Stock, Pranquester, Red Seal, Scrimshaw Pilsner, Wintertime
    Norwester-Blacksmith Porter, Hefeweizen, Honey Weizen, Raspberry Weizen, Haystack Black, Best Bitter

Rogue's Chocolate Stout

After having another delicious Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, I decided to break out my oversized bottle of Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales Brewery (Oregon). This is a highly regarded beer, but I was expecting more. It did not blow me away by any stretch.

The Chocolate Stout is 6% ABV. It pours almost black. The mouthfeel is unremarkable, and I found the favor to be bitter (like cooking chocolate). It was not nearly as smooth as I was expecting.

I will give this a try again in the future. Maybe I should have paired it with food, rather than drinking it solo while watching Maryland implode.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    After having another delicious Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, I decided to break out my oversized bottle of Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales Brewery (Oregon). This is a highly regarded beer, but I was expecting more. It did not blow me away by any stretch.

The Chocolate Stout is 6% ABV. It pours almost black. The mouthfeel is unremarkable, and I found the favor to be bitter (like cooking chocolate). It was not nearly as smooth as I was expecting.

I will give this a try again in the future. Maybe I should have paired it with food, rather than drinking it solo while watching Maryland implode.
    Ever had the Young's Double Chocolate Stout? Thoughts?

Ever had the Rogue Shakespeare Stout? Thoughts?

ymm, beer

"O"

Oasis-Capstone ESB, Festival, Pale Ale, Scarab Red, Tut Brown, Zoser Oatmeal Stout
    Odell-5 Barrel, 90 Shilling,Cutthroat Porter, Easy St. Wheat, Imperial Stout, IPA, Isolation Ale, Levity Amber, Whale's Tail Pale Ale
    Old Dominion-MILLENIUM, Octoberfest, Summer Wheat, Tupper's Hop Pocket Pils, Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale, Lager, Stout
    Oliver(Wharf Rat)-Bitter, ESB, Old English, Porter, Stout, Cream Ale
    Orkney-Skull Splitter
    Orval-Orval
    Otter Creek-Copper Ale, Octoberfest, Pale Ale, Stovepipe Porter, Wolaver's Organic Brown, Mud Bock, Farmhouse Ale, IPA, Oatmeal Stout

Ever had the Young's Double Chocolate Stout? Thoughts?

Ever had the Rogue Shakespeare Stout? Thoughts?

Not yet, but I will look out for them. Particularly the Rogue.

Just back from a night of Harpoon UFO and Harpoon IPA... (Work function; limited selection.)

ymm,beer

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Not yet, but I will look out for them. Particularly the Rogue.

Just back from a night of Harpoon UFO and Harpoon IPA... (Work function; limited selection.)
    Could have been worse-think about a cooler or 'fridge full or light 'beers'

ymm, beer

P:

Paulaner-Salvator, Weissbier, Dunkel, Oktoberfest
    Pike Place-Pale Ale, IPA, Kilt Lifter, 5X Stout, East India IPA, Birra Perfecto, Old Bawdy
    Pilsner Urquell-Pilsner Urquell, Gambrinus
    Pinehurst Village-Scotch Ale, Brown Ale, Golden Ale
    Portland-Honey, Winter, Porter, Stout, McTarnahan's Scotch Ale, Icicle Creek Winter Ale
    Pyramid-Amber, Apricot, Best Brown, Espresso Stout, Hefeweizen, Kolsch, Pale Ale, Porter, Rye, Scotch Ale, Snow Cap, ESB, Sunfest, Wheat

ymm, beer

No Q that I could find and/or remember(unless we are talking about Bullock's or Smithfield's, but THAT is another topic/thread/board )

No Q that I could find and/or remember(unless we are talking about Bullock's or Smithfield's, but THAT is another topic/thread/board )
    Maybe when you make it through your alphabet list (which is great, btw!), you can come back around to what beer goes best with 'Q.