Page 262 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1622122522602612622632642723123627621262 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,240 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Abita Andygator

I thought the recent Abita Mardi Gras bock was decent - high praise considering I think Abita is just an average brewery- no bad products but nothing outstanding.

There are exceptions to the rule, and Abita Andygator is one.
    Dubbed a Helles Dopplebock, it tastes like a low hopped, complex high alcohol lager.

Another easy gateway craft beer. Worth trying for sure.

So guys, I need a good session wheat ale for baseball season. Out of all the great local beer here, I can't find one I like. Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is tasty, but does anyone know anything else that is easily available?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    So guys, I need a good session wheat ale for baseball season. Out of all the great local beer here, I can't find one I like. Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is tasty, but does anyone know anything else that is easily available?
    Session qualification makes it tougher. Goose Island 312 (?) I think is pretty low ABV.
    Bell's Oberon is close to 6%, and I think Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin is close to 8%.

Bam Biere from Jolly Pumpkin is a low ABV saison.
    Mother Earth cans a hefeweizen that is pretty good, Sunny Haze.
    Aviator is now canning Mad Beach, which is their summer beer.

Hope this helps.

Running the New Glarus Numbers

One way flight to ORD on a Friday morning :$350
    Large SUV rental Friday through Monday :$1300 - probably needs to be a U Haul (14-17 foot at that cost)
    Hotels Friday and Saturday night : $350
    Gas : $200

$2200 in travel expenses.

A lot of the good New Glarus stuff is 750ml only.
    Focus just on Spotted Cow cases, would need to be able to buy 100 cases to put the case premium at $22 to break even, not accounting for any value of time spent in acquiring beer or driving.

No posted prices for New Glarus, but estimate $40/case at a typical craft premium.
    $4000 up front investment in beer. Retail outlets would need to charge $17/six pack to break even, $20 to make a modest profit.

I'd need a Kickstarter campaign to play Robin Hood. There's a reason no one is doing this :-)

Ah, to dream...just need some friends in the Wisconsin area willing to ship a few bottles every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Large SUV rental Friday through Monday :$1300 - probably needs to be a U Haul (14-17 foot at that cost)

Focus just on Spotted Cow cases, would need to be able to buy 100 cases to put the case premium at $22 to break even, not accounting for any value of time spent in acquiring beer or driving.

No posted prices for New Glarus, but estimate $40/case at a typical craft premium.
    $4000 up front investment in beer. Retail outlets would need to charge $17/six pack to break even, $20 to make a modest profit.

I'd need a Kickstarter campaign to play Robin Hood. There's a reason no one is doing this :-)

Ah, to dream...just need some friends in the Wisconsin area willing to ship a few bottles every so often.
    Fats might be able to do a bit better than $1300 for that SUV rental. Handgun and illegal substances not included. How's your jumpshot?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Session qualification makes it tougher. Goose Island 312 (?) I think is pretty low ABV.
    Bell's Oberon is close to 6%, and I think Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin is close to 8%.

Bam Biere from Jolly Pumpkin is a low ABV saison.
    Mother Earth cans a hefeweizen that is pretty good, Sunny Haze.
    Aviator is now canning Mad Beach, which is their summer beer.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks fuse. I Love Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale. One of my all time favorites, but at 7%, it's a little too high. Oberon is ok, and the 312 isn't as good since the recipe was changed from the inbev buy out. I've been wanting to try some Mother Earth. If I can find that hefe, I'll try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Thanks fuse. I Love Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale. One of my all time favorites, but at 7%, it's a little too high. Oberon is ok, and the 312 isn't as good since the recipe was changed from the inbev buy out. I've been wanting to try some Mother Earth. If I can find that hefe, I'll try. Thanks!
    I'm sure you are well aware but Bruisin Ales in Asheville should have the Mother Earth cans.

Leave Triangle Thursday in mid-sized SUV. Drive to Lexington, KY. Stay with family. Leave Friday AM drive to New Glarus. Hotel. Saturday AM "shopping." Leave Saturday noon, drive to KY and stay with family. Return to Raleigh Sunday night.

SUV rental 4 days-$300 weekend rate? (no guns, drugs; non-luxury vehicle)
    Gas-$280
    Hotel-$100

How many cases fit in an Escape or comparable sized SUV?

I've just cut your (our?) expenses dramatically. Doable or dreamable?

Family ties in Kentucky, ehh? Why is that not a surprise to me???

Just kidding, I'll go to Wisconsin and take delivery in the next few weeks as time permits. I'm leaving for Blue Mountain in a few minutes to buy 400 more hops, 300 Chinook and 100 Zeus. Up to my neck now!!

Had Leinenkugel's (sp?) Summer Shandy yesterday, thought it was like Arnie's 1/2 and 1/2, half tea and half lemon. Didn't taste like beer at all. Almost as weird as Isley Brothers Peanut-butter Chocolate Porter that I had 2 weeks ago, like drinking a Reese's cup. Would've made a nice float if I had a scoop of ice cream to put in it.

I'm sure you are well aware but Bruisin Ales in Asheville should have the Mother Earth cans.
    Oh yeah, but I actually prefer to get my beer from Appalachian Vintner. About the same selection, and more parking. Not to mention over 20 beers on tap to try

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post

Just kidding, I'll go to Wisconsin and take delivery in the next few weeks as time permits. I'm leaving for Blue Mountain in a few minutes to buy 400 more hops, 300 Chinook and 100 Zeus. Up to my neck now!!

Had Leinenkugel's (sp?) Summer Shandy yesterday, thought it was like Arnie's 1/2 and 1/2, half tea and half lemon. Didn't taste like beer at all. Almost as weird as Isley Brothers Peanut-butter Chocolate Porter that I had 2 weeks ago, like drinking a Reese's cup. Would've made a nice float if I had a scoop of ice cream to put in it.
    I had their Vanilla Porter a couple months ago. Was not impressed at all.

Burial Beer is having their first annual Sharpen the Blades Saison Fest Friday...mattman very excited! Free admission, and live music from a really solid local band The Hermit Kings

Leinenkugel's Shandy is poor. Definitely a good lawn mower / hot weather beer, but in general, just meh.

My wife's sister and her husband and daughter live there with NC and NJ roots. I'll never drink another Shandy again. Doubt fuse will either but gotta try one. I liked the couple peanut butter chocolate porters I've had. You are correct about a Reese's. An ice cream float would be tasty with that combo.

.. just need some friends in the Wisconsin area willing to ship a few bottles every so often.
    What is the status of shipping beer? It seems there's been a lot of activity/court cases about being able to ship wine from one state to another. Why not beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    What is the status of shipping beer? It seems there's been a lot of activity/court cases about being able to ship wine from one state to another. Why not beer?
    FedEx will (you have to be 21 to sign for it, signature required), UPS will not.

There is an underground beer trading industry (sounds far more mysterious than it is) which use clever workarounds, like "shipping yeast samples" as how they label what is in the box.

I would assume preparation is key. A poorly packed bottle will be self evident to UPS (or whoever) long before it reaches you.

Leinenkugel's Shandy is poor. Definitely a good lawn mower / hot weather beer, but in general, just meh.
    I found Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy to be awful. But then again, the only shandy I've ever enjoyed involved freshly made cranberry lemonade mixed with their draught wheat beer at the Cape May Brewery in Cape May, NJ. If your in-laws have a house in Cape May, I highly recommend spending an afternoon at this brewery. Heck, even invite them to join you if you are in the mood

If forced to drink Leinenkugel, which if you ever visit a bar in the Wisconsin Northwoods might be your best option, stick to Leinie's Red or Creamy Dark. Stay far away from the Berry Weiss though. If New Glarus's fruit beers are like a fine scotch then Leinie's are like a skunky Bartles and Jaymes wine cooler.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I found Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy to be awful. But then again, the only shandy I've ever enjoyed involved freshly made cranberry lemonade mixed with their draught wheat beer at the Cape May Brewery in Cape May, NJ. If your in-laws have a house in Cape May, I highly recommend spending an afternoon at this brewery. Heck, even invite them to join you if you are in the mood

If forced to drink Leinenkugel, which if you ever visit a bar in the Wisconsin Northwoods might be your best option, stick to Leinie's Red or Creamy Dark. Stay far away from the Berry Weiss though. If New Glarus's fruit beers are like a fine scotch then Leinie's are like a skunky Bartles and Jaymes wine cooler.
    What a great evocative description. Not only did I literally laugh out loud, I also recall when Bartles and James was a wine cooler. I'm not sure if it is even made any more but it's last incarnation was malt based, like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Zima before that.

Great Lakes Nosferatu

I remember when I considered Killian's Irish Red as the peak of awesome beer.
    Then Coors recast Killian's as a lager instead of an ale. Still good but not the same.
    Whenever I come across a good red ale, it reminds me of Killian's.

Nosferatu is much higher in alcohol but my mind is still paying homage to my first red ale as I smell it.
    Such a rich, roasty malt nose.
    Smooth up front, with again a complex roasted malt back end, with a mild bitterness to the finish.
    Goes down way too easy.

A nice find by devildeac. I think most(all?) the Great Lakes beer I have tried have been courtesy of devildeac.

Good stuff, will definitely enjoy the bite of Nosferatu in the future!

Beer Cocktails