Page 26 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836761265261026 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

D day:

DeKonick-DeKonick
    Deschutes-Batchelor Bitter, Black Butte Porter, Pilsner, Bock, Cascade Golden, Inversion IPA, JubelAle, Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Obsidian Stout, Quail Springs IPA, Summer
    Dinkel Acker-CD Pils, Dark, Dunkel Weizen, Weiss
    DogFish Head-120 Minute IPA, 90 Minute IPA, 60 Minute IPA, ApriHop, Burton Baton, Chicory Stout, Imperial Pilsner, Immort Ale, Indian Brown, Midas Touch, Olde School Barleywine, Pangaea, Punkin', Raison D'etre, Raison D'Extra, Shelter Pale Ale, World Wide Stout
    Dock Street-Pilsner, Amber, Weiss, Pale, Kolsch, Cream, Illuminator, White
    Duck Rabbit-Amber, Brown, Milk Stout, Porter, Wee Heavy, Baltic Porter, Rabid Duck Imperial Stout, Barleywine
    Duvel-Duvel

Next up, the E and F breweries(not too many here)

ymm, beer

E and the F words:

Edenton St.-Hell's Belles, Bad Penny, Angry Angel, Coffee Stout, Double Wit, IPA

Flanders-Farmer's Ale, Grand Cru
    Flying Dog-Pale Ale, Doggie Style, Double Dog IPA, Gonzo Imperial Stout, Horn Dog, K-9 Cruiser, Road Dog
    Front St.-Lager, Wheat, IPA, Scotch, Pilsner, Belgian
    Fullers-Bitter, 1845, London Pride, ESB, Pale Ale, Golden Pride, Winter
    Full Sail-Amber, Brown, Golden, Halfpipe Porter, IPA, Main Sail Stout, Mercator Double Bock, Nut Brown, Old Boardhead Barleywine(94-05 for 12 more), Pale Ale, Pilsner, Porter, Rip Curl

lots of good ones in the G's but probably not 'til after the game tonight if I can still type, that is

Beer Taste Test

What's the best way to run a beer taste test? I want to compare Dogfishhead Indian Brown Ale, Killian's Irish Red, and Sam Adams Brown Ale.

Should I alter small drinks of each, like shot glass size? Or drink one whole bottle and then the next? Is it necessary to cleanse the palate in between beers?

Some breweries offer a sample platter, and they put the samples in small glasses, maybe 2 or 3 ounces.

Red face Imho...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    What's the best way to run a beer taste test? I want to compare Dogfishhead Indian Brown Ale, Killian's Irish Red, and Sam Adams Brown Ale.

Should I alter small drinks of each, like shot glass size? Or drink one whole bottle and then the next? Is it necessary to cleanse the palate in between beers?

Some breweries offer a sample platter, and they put the samples in small glasses, maybe 2 or 3 ounces.
    Rule #1: Share the experience.
    Rule #2: Do what you can with whatever equipment you have. I love brewery sampler platters with those small glasses ... but I don't have many of them at home. At home, I'll limit it to two taste tests in a sitting, in part because I don't want so much to be opened. It also limits the amount I can truly compare. In a brewery, however, it's all tapped, so I have less of a problem with multiple samples.
    Rule #3: I tend to like a little palate break, but to each his own. Some foods might cleanse one brew, but might prep the palate awkwardly for the next one. You should be okay with the two browns. I wonder about the Red.
    Rule #4: ENJOY!!

My own preference is to have the two (if on tap) side by side. If in bottle, then I'll prefer to drink one bottle at a time. But again, it's best to share ... you can sample and discuss more!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post

Several suggestions:

1. go to a beer festival where they offer 2-3 ounce samples of many beers.
    2. have a beer night with a friend or 2 and every body brings several beers to share and you have 2-4 ounce samples of each one.
    3. samplers at beer bars done much the same way with a sample of each tap they have and limit yourself to 4-6 small samples(and if you REALLY like one, have a pint to finish the meal/evening).
    4. if I sample/compare 2 12 ouncers, I will have them consecutively over 30 minutes or so for each one-then I am done for the night.

to cleanse the palate, I will usually have water at festivals or restaurants(to stay hydrated) and at home, pretzels or crackers are nice between samples.

it is game time so more later. Enjoy.

ymm, beer

Victory Brewing Company-Old Horizontal Barleywine-This is a high gravity(11% ABV) smooth, cloying, slightly sweet annual offering from a very, very good brewery. Allowed to sit for 15-30 minutes before sipping (in chat last PM). Slight hints of toffee and perhaps vanilla with a very malty and slightly hoppy bitterness(made MUCH more bitter by the loss to the holes). I have enjoyed this brew for quite a number of years since discovering this brewery.

ymm, beer

Oops, left one off the F list:

Flying Fish-IPA, Dubbel, Tripel, Farmhouse, ESB, EPA, Grand Cru, Porter, Stout

Now, on to the G-men:

Geary-Pale Ale, Hampshire Ale, London Porter
    Gilees-Old Thumper, Bishop's Tipple
    Goose Island-APA, Barleywine, Blonde, Demolition, Honker's, Matilda, Pere Jacques, IPA
    Great Divide-Amber, Honey, Denver Pale Ale, Double IPA, Hibernation, Old Ruffian, Yeti, St. Bridget's Porter, IPA
    Great Lakes-Burning River Pale Ale, Christmas Ale, Dortmunder Gold, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Elliot Ness Amber, Commodore Perry IPA
    Greene-Abbott, Suffolk Dark
    Gouden-Carolus, Blonde, Double, Triple, Optimo Bruno
    Guiness-Stout, Draft, Harp

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Now, I challenge the rest of you beer enthusiasts to try a beer float.
    Hmmm. I've got some coffee ice cream in the freezer. I wonder how that would be with a Bud Light...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I poured out the last beer in my refrigerator yesterday. A Sam Adams Brown Ale IIRC.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I poured out the last beer in my refrigerator yesterday. A Sam Adams Brown Ale IIRC.
    I had a Schlafly's ESB during the game last night. Apparently it's the source of my mild debate with MulletMan (about the presence of Taymon at the game last night). Funny, I didn't think it had a high ABV?

Time to retire the Schlafly's ESB ... need to try some Terrapins for the ACCs. What's available in Athens, uga?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Oops, left one off the F list:

Flying Fish-IPA, Dubbel, Tripel, Farmhouse, ESB, EPA, Grand Cru, Porter, Stout

Now, on to the G-men:

Geary-Pale Ale, Hampshire Ale, London Porter
    Gilees-Old Thumper, Bishop's Tipple
    Goose Island-APA, Barleywine, Blonde, Demolition, Honker's, Matilda, Pere Jacques, IPA
    Great Divide-Amber, Honey, Denver Pale Ale, Double IPA, Hibernation, Old Ruffian, Yeti, St. Bridget's Porter, IPA
    Great Lakes-Burning River Pale Ale, Christmas Ale, Dortmunder Gold, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Elliot Ness Amber, Commodore Perry IPA
    Greene-Abbott, Suffolk Dark
    Gouden-Carolus, Blonde, Double, Triple, Optimo Bruno
    Guiness-Stout, Draft, Harp

Meek-ishly, I ask what happened to the legend of Falstaff?

On the D's: Washington's DRUIDS Brewing Company is good.

On the A's: I may now be a little partial to Alltech's Lexington Brew Company.

Thinking of the future, do we have ANYONE who has tried anything from the Kona Brewing Company?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Thinking of the future, do we have ANYONE who has tried anything from the Kona Brewing Company?
    Ooh, is there a trip to the Big Island coming up?

I've had a Kona -- a lager, I think, but it's been a couple of years now. It was okay, but "nothing to write home about." Frankly, it's my rule of thumb to drink the local beverage, and so was disappointed that the local beverage in Kona/Kailua was a) unforgettable, and b) more expensive than most mainland brews. YMMV, of course.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Hmmm. I've got some coffee ice cream in the freezer. I wonder how that would be with a Bud Light...
    take your hands off the keyboard-SLOWLY- now back away from your computer, take a few deep breaths and try to compose yourself...there, doesn't that feel better now? (now, if you want to try that coffee ice cream with a Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck Imperial Stout or a Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter or another really dark beer, I could probably come up with a couple other suggestions that would be tasty...)

ymm, beer

Meek-ishly, I ask what happened to the legend of Falstaff?

On the D's: Washington's DRUIDS Brewing Company is good.

On the A's: I may now be a little partial to Alltech's Lexington Brew Company.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    1. Falstaff, surely you jest?
    2. Druids?
    3. Alltech?
    4. Not I, but a poster or two earlier on the thread did discuss a Hawaiian brew or two and I believe the Kona Brewing Company was mentioned.

Go back and read my 1000th post. I explained/titled it "1000 beers I have enjoyed" so as not to have folks think I was trying to list every brewery in the world and their products. Just a clarification here.

Enjoying the Sam Adams Brown Ale now! Excellent!

Thanks for all the taste test suggestions. I tried one bottle at a time, and that was fun. But I like the taste test party idea, I'll try that soon.

Maybe to celebrate the next National Championship we could have a giant DBR beer festival at a secure remote undisclosed (tropical) locatation!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1. Falstaff, surely you jest?
    2. Druids?
    3. Alltech?
    4. Not I, but a poster or two earlier on the thread did discuss a Hawaiian brew or two and I believe the Kona Brewing Company was mentioned.

Go back and read my 1000th post. I explained/titled it "1000 beers I have enjoyed" so as not to have folks think I was trying to list every brewery in the world and their products. Just a clarification here.
    1. I did say Meek-ishly.
    2. I saw that in the PacNorthWest. I thought you might have sampled that one.
    3. Alltech runs the Kentucky Ale, (iirc, stored in the Bourbon casks). Will go up there sometime in the next few weeks, and will proceed with an exchange.
    4. I thought you might have sampled Kona once or twice.

Perhaps in an earlier day, didn't you sample Genessee Cream?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

1. I did say Meek-ishly.
    2. I saw that in the PacNorthWest. I thought you might have sampled that one.
    3. Alltech runs the Kentucky Ale, (iirc, stored in the Bourbon casks). Will go up there sometime in the next few weeks, and will proceed with an exchange.
    4. I thought you might have sampled Kona once or twice.

Perhaps in an earlier day, didn't you sample Genessee Cream?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    1. forgiven
    2. never heard of that brewery even with all our trips to the Pacific NW
    3. I have several in mind for trading
    4. I may have had a Kona product at The Oregon Brewer's Festival 7-8 years ago but really can't remember(had 11 samples that day that they advertised as 2 or 3 ounce tasters but when the sample line was measured after the festival, it was really 6 ounce samples they were serving-no wonder I had quite a buzz!)
    5. remember, I said beers I have ENJOYED

ymm, beer

The H list:

HackerPschorr-Oktoberfest, Weisse, Weisse Dark, Animator
    Hair of the Dog-Adam, Doggie Claws, Ed, Fred, Golden Rose, Rose, Ruth
    Harpoon-IPA, Octoberfest, Winter Warmer, UFO Ale, Raspberry, Hefeweizen, Dark, Summer, Hibernation
    Herold-Hefeweizen, Dark Ale
    Highland-Black Mocha Stout, Cold Mt. Winter Ale, Gaelic, Heather, Kasmir IPA, Oatmeal Porter, St. Teresa's, Tasgall
    Hoegaarden-Grand Cru, White, Verboden Vrucht
    Hurliman-Samichlaus 94-06(12 more-I think they did not brew this fabulous beer 1 year)
    Huyghe-Delirium Tremens, Delirium Nocturnum, Delirium Noel

And an I for good measure:

Ipswich-Ale, Dark Ale

ymm, beer

No J breweries that I could find/remember(just slipping 1 PW entry on to the list I am trying to complete with some degree of character and integrity )

Float

After spending way too much time on this thread, I actually tried a beer float. I used a Saranac Caramel Porter with Breyer's vanilla ice cream. Surprise! It was pretty good. The caramel porter is too sweet by itself but worked very well with the ice cream. It had just a touch of hops so that you could tell it was beer and not root beer. I may try it again sometime.

Other beers: I spent a few days in Lexington with my daughter and son-in-law. Yes, they both have UK degrees. I tried a couple of 6ers from Bluegrass Brewing Co. The Altbier is a balanced amber ale, and the American Pale Ale is very hoppy. Both are drinkable but not worth importing - better than your average grocery store beer.

I've also been drinking an occasional Victory Golden Monkey. This is a Belgian (tripel) style beer with a distinct spice taste (clove, cinnamon?) and citrus. It's very drinkable and smooth despite its 9.5% ABV.