Page 24 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634741245241024 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Did a search and nothing showed up so I thaught I'd share the beer I am currently drinking. It's called Black Dog Honey-Raspberry Ale from Spanish Peaks Brewing Co.

I'm not usually a fan of sweet stuff but this was on sale so I gave it a try. Supprisingly, it is very good. It tastes more like real fruit than other fruit beers. Plus, it has a really great breath-out-through-nose aftertaste. They also make a Black Dog Porter which I'll try next time.

One side note: don't expect to drink a six pack!
    I have not had one of those for several years but I would share your thoughts that it is not overly fruity and very pleasant on the nose/palate/breath. There are some fruity beers out there that resemble children's cough medicine butyou just have to try them, remember them and then stay away from them.

ymm, beer

minor correction to my beer float description-it reminded me of a WHITE Russian, not a Black Russian with the addition of ice cream(a la the cream added to the vodka and Kahlua). Haven't had one in SOOO long I had to look up the recipe .

Red face Nothing like memories of getting sick

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    minor correction to my beer float description-it reminded me of a WHITE Russian, not a Black Russian with the addition of ice cream(a la the cream added to the vodka and Kahlua). Haven't had one in SOOO long I had to look up the recipe .
    I knew what you meant ... as I recall vividly, at that party 30 years ago I had too many of both.

BLECHH!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Talking

If you are in Northwest Ohio on Friday March 7, there is a Beer Fest at the Erie Street Market. A dozen three ounce pours for $25/30. This is being sponsored by my favorite beer store and the proceeds go to charity. I have never been to a beer fest, but plan on attending this one. I hope the varieties are such as to make a good report--first, I have to find a designated driver.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

I brew mine

I brew my own. It is way better than anything that the local gas station sells. I still buy on occasion to see what my next brew might be, but it's much cheaper ($30) to brew 5 gallons (about 50 12 ounce bottles) than it is to buy. I get my supplies shipped from Asheville. There are local suppliers, but they still can't beat their costs, even with shipping. Here is a link if interested.
    There are also several good sites online for info, including this book, which is great. I bought a hard copy of it, but the online version is complete and free.
    One more tutorial here, with pictures.

I used to home brew a lot, before I had kids. My Bible was/is Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. I definitely took his "relax, have a brew" advice to heart while brewing.

While I keep on telling myself that I need to dust off all of my equipment and brew a batch at home, I have opted to brew at UBrew stores, where you can make a batch on their equipment and you don't have to worry about the mess (or your family complaining about the smell). It is not as cost effective as brewing at home (and not much cheaper than buying by the case), but at least you can make really good beer.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Someone's a genius

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    I used to home brew a lot, before I had kids. My Bible was/is Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. I definitely took his "relax, have a brew" advice to heart while brewing.

While I keep on telling myself that I need to dust off all of my equipment and brew a batch at home, I have opted to brew at UBrew stores, where you can make a batch on their equipment and you don't have to worry about the mess (or your family complaining about the smell). It is not as cost effective as brewing at home (and not much cheaper than buying by the case), but at least you can make really good beer.
    Never heard of the UBrew place, but my wife would love it. I'm not telling her about it, I love making a mess in the kitchen..lol. Maybe in honor of DBR I outta call the next batch BrewDevil. (It won't be blue though)

Love the homebrew

My buddy and I have been brewing our own for about a year now, and that's definitely a great way to go (particularly because we do it all at his house). Our Fat Tire knockoff is heaven in a bottle. We get ingredients shipped from a great little place in Charlotte called Alternative Beverage.

I'm just excited that my little local grocery just brought in a lot of microbrews. Our favorites around here:

Fin du Monde
    Chimay (Blue or Red)
    Franziskaner Hefeweisen (sp?)
    Delirium Tremens
    XX Amber (the national beer of Wilmington)
    PBR (still just $3 for a 24 oz at the Soapbox)

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    If you are in Northwest Ohio on Friday March 7, there is a Beer Fest at the Erie Street Market. A dozen three ounce pours for $25/30. This is being sponsored by my favorite beer store and the proceeds go to charity. I have never been to a beer fest, but plan on attending this one. I hope the varieties are such as to make a good report--first, I have to find a designated driver.
    That does not sound bad at $2/sample with your tasting and the proceeds to charity. The designated driver is a really good idea, especially if the 'pours' are more generous than 3 ounces as I have seen in the past at beer festivals. A couple I have been to advertised 2-3 ounce samples and when I checked the sample line on the souvenir glass, it was more like 6 ounces-ouch. The ABV of the sample beers is critical, too, especailly if you are drinking a few barleywines, imperial stouts, IIPA's or even regular IPA's. Have fun, take notes and post often .

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I brew my own. It is way better than anything that the local gas station sells. I still buy on occasion to see what my next brew might be, but it's much cheaper ($30) to brew 5 gallons (about 50 12 ounce bottles) than it is to buy. I get my supplies shipped from Asheville. There are local suppliers, but they still can't beat their costs, even with shipping. Here is a link if interested.
    There are also several good sites online for info, including this book, which is great. I bought a hard copy of it, but the online version is complete and free.
    One more tutorial here, with pictures.
    Interestingly enough, I have NEVER home brewed or even helped any friends/neighbors in the process. I have had some marvelous IPA's and Imperial Stouts brewed by others and have had some positively undrinkable beers brewed with the best of intentions. The best reason I have for not home brewing is the following story:

A friend's husband had just finished a batch of stout when she came home and heard 'pop' and wondered what it was. She then heard several more 'pops' and as she entered her bedroom, they became louder. When she opened her closet, she realized what was happening. The contents of many of her husband's recently bottled beverages were now 'decorating' her bedroom wall(or closet, I can't recall) and clothes. Needless to say, she gave him an ultimatum, either the beer goes or you go. He sold his brewing equipment and I don't think he has brewed again to this day.

A friend's husband had just finished a batch of stout when she came home and heard 'pop' and wondered what it was. She then heard several more 'pops' and as she entered her bedroom, they became louder. When she opened her closet, she realized what was happening. The contents of many of her husband's recently bottled beverages were now 'decorating' her bedroom wall(or closet, I can't recall) and clothes. Needless to say, she gave him an ultimatum, either the beer goes or you go. He sold his brewing equipment and I don't think he has brewed again to this day.
    HAHA!..Yes, if you bottle too soon, before the fermentation process is done, you will create bottle bombs. So far, I've been lucky, no wet closets yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Never heard of the UBrew place, but my wife would love it. I'm not telling her about it, I love making a mess in the kitchen..lol. Maybe in honor of DBR I outta call the next batch BrewDevil. (It won't be blue though)
    This is the one I go to (in Natick, MA).

http://www.barleycorn.com/

In the fall, a group of neighborhood guys got together and made three beers. (1) An IPA (similar to Dogfist 60); (2) a nice Tripel (very high ABV, although most Tripels do have high ABVs...); and (3) a really tasty Shwarzbier (Black Lager). That is actually one benefit of those places - the ability to make lagers.

ymm, beer

As promised to Ugadevil last PM in chat: 2005 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale. A monster of a beer(pun intended). Very hoppy and dense with a slight bit of sweetness to it. Smoother now than when released in about January, 2006. At about 9.5% ABV, it is slow sipping on one of these for an hour or so and then off to dreamland.

ymm, beer

Sam Adams Boston Lager. We had an open house with beverages provided and the sponsor's choice was Sam Adams for the tastes of all the visitors in mind. I had forgotten that this is a really good mass-produced lager with an amber color, slight maltiness, a faint floral bouquet and a hint of hop bitterness. A very nice relatively low ABV thirst quencher. We have a LOT leftover-anyone interested in trading a 6er or two(or three?).

Living in Boston, Sam's Boston Lager is a staple at many, many parties. (That is, the parties where Bud and Bud Light are not the feature beers.) I agree with your review, especially the slight maltiness (a caramel taste) and hint of hops, which affects both the smell and taste. (ABV is 4.75%, btw.)

For a period of time, I had become very tired of this beer, because I had it so often. It is now like an old album that I had previously overplayed and got sick of, but have since rediscovered and remembered why I liked it in the first instance. It is definitely one of the best mass-produced beers out there.

ymm, beer

Terrapin Brown Ale(on draft)-Rich, dark brown color and very malty, almost toffee-like with very little bitterness. This became even smoother over the 30 minutes or so I enjoyed it last PM as it was actually served a bit too cold initially.

And, no, there was no sweaty aftertaste and I swear that OZZIE got all the calls .

Talking

A partial list of vendors for the Toledo beer fest: Bell's, Goose Island, Great Lakes Brewing, Hoppin Frog, Jolly Pumpkin, New Holland, Thirsty Dog, The Brew Kettle and more. I am positive I will not get to sample everything--a rep I talked to said the pours are generous. She said a line of taxis will be outside for those in need. I will be accompanied by my wife so as to remain unincarcerated(probably not a word). Food is available for sale--a good idea!!

Smile Terrapin Brew-ha-ha

Terrapin Brown Ale(on draft)-Rich, dark brown color and very malty, almost toffee-like with very little bitterness. This became even smoother over the 30 minutes or so I enjoyed it last PM as it was actually served a bit too cold initially.

And, no, there was no sweaty aftertaste and I swear that OZZIE got all the calls .
    The Terp boys have a decent selection in bottle, but the draught stuff is MUCH tastier.

WARNING UGADEVIL ... I will have to make the long ( ) drive to Athens some Saturday soon. MUST HAVE BEER!!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

What else do they have on tap at the Pit?

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    What else do they have on tap at the Pit?
    IIRC, about a dozen or so, including Lost Coast Downtown Brown Ale, Carolina Pale Ale, one of the Chimays(or Duvel), a kolsch, a pilsner and that is the end of my memory. OZZIE and I each had the Terrapin with dinner and stopped with one. You oughtta give them a call, or, better yet, pay them a visit, get a sampler plate and an ale or two and post your review for us.

If you want a VAST selection of beers on tap, travel on down to the Flying Saucer at the corner of Harrington and Davie(?), just a block off Hillsborough St. in Raleigh for about 75 beers on the wall(don't ANYBODY dare start a song with that ) and 150-200 bottles from which to choose. The food won't be as good as at the Pit, however .