Page 235 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1351852252332342352362372452853357351235 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,700 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Ode to Mercy-Wild Heaven Craft Beers

Their slogan: Serve Your Neighbor

Drink local!

This was a 12 ounce bottle from a 4 pack that was shared 3 ways after the CFA bowl loss but we still appreciated a fine concoction. Poured a dark brown with a smallish tan head, this imperial brown ale had luscious coffee, nutty, dark caramel and milk chocolate scents with a palate that mirrored the aromas. Brewed with specially blended 1000 Faces coffee from Athens, Georgia and aged in oak, which imparted a tad of wood and vanilla to the tastes, this was even smoother than I expected for a brown ale. A hint of citrus/bitterness form the IBUs of 40 were countered with a large grain bill and ABV of 8.2%. Serve at cellar temperature with ribs, sausages or pulled pork or, as a dessert sipper, with or without a slice/bowl of Georgia peach pie or cobbler and you'll have two great courses covered for your menu that evening.

http://wildheavencraftbeers.com/our-beers/
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ode to Mercy-Wild Heaven Craft Beers

Their slogan: Serve Your Neighbor

Drink local!

This was a 12 ounce bottle from a 4 pack that was shared 3 ways after the CFA bowl loss but we still appreciated a fine concoction. Poured a dark brown with a smallish tan head, this imperial brown ale had luscious coffee, nutty, dark caramel and milk chocolate scents with a palate that mirrored the aromas. Brewed with specially blended 1000 Faces coffee from Athens, Georgia and aged in oak, which imparted a tad of wood and vanilla to the tastes, this was even smoother than I expected for a brown ale. A hint of citrus/bitterness form the IBUs of 40 were countered with a large grain bill and ABV of 8.2%. Serve at cellar temperature with ribs, sausages or pulled pork or, as a dessert sipper, with or without a slice/bowl of Georgia peach pie or cobbler and you'll have two great courses covered for your menu that evening.

http://wildheavencraftbeers.com/our-beers/
    Was hoping there was a craft beer stand in the Georgia Dome, but alas all I found was Miller Light. Which of course, is "beer" only in the way that a Yugo is a "car"

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Was hoping there was a craft beer stand in the Georgia Dome, but alas all I found was Miller Light. Which of course, is "beer" only in the way that a Yugo is a "car"
    I did not find any craft beer in the Dome, either. For whatever reason, I do still enjoy Miller Lite. It is what I stock for friends who don't care for craft beer.

Not sure how much deeper I can dig myself a hole

Going to a public hearing Monday in South Hill. Visited today to do some recon. On the way home received a call from a reporter from a town 30 miles away who wants an interview, then get home for another request. Rutrow!! Generating some excitement!! Terrible thing Gotta perform Monday!!

Next to my brew site I have land available for a hopyard and was measuring it today, hope to be plowing within a week or two and setting it up before it gets too much colder. I've priced some timber and plowing the site, not as bad as I envisioned. I want to create excitement before I even open-nobody down there even knows what a hopyard looks like. I'm trying to create a buzz-then I have to brew really good beer (at least for you brew snobs on this site. Once I build a hopyard other farmers will show interest and not want to be left out-I hope. New cash crop for such a small piece of land. Next 6 months should be very interesting!! Still working on my beginning beer menu, also going to grow as many beer ingredients as I can down there. Please feel free to contribute advice as to which spices to include in my greenhouse (yes, working on that, too).

GO DUKE!! Beat ND, tomorrow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Going to a public hearing Monday in South Hill. Visited today to do some recon. On the way home received a call from a reporter from a town 30 miles away who wants an interview, then get home for another request. Rutrow!! Generating some excitement!! Terrible thing Gotta perform Monday!!

Next to my brew site I have land available for a hopyard and was measuring it today, hope to be plowing within a week or two and setting it up before it gets too much colder. I've priced some timber and plowing the site, not as bad as I envisioned. I want to create excitement before I even open-nobody down there even knows what a hopyard looks like. I'm trying to create a buzz-then I have to brew really good beer (at least for you brew snobs on this site. Once I build a hopyard other farmers will show interest and not want to be left out-I hope. New cash crop for such a small piece of land. Next 6 months should be very interesting!! Still working on my beginning beer menu, also going to grow as many beer ingredients as I can down there. Please feel free to contribute advice as to which spices to include in my greenhouse (yes, working on that, too).

GO DUKE!! Beat ND, tomorrow!!!
    I'll be boring and suggest the usual spices:

1. Coriander for wheat and golden ales.
    2. Cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and ginger for fall/winter/brown/pumpkin ales
    3. Oregano, rosemary and basil for a saison perhaps.

You're gonna need a few acres for fruits such as raspberries and blueberries. Maybe an orchard for an apple, apricot or cherry ale.

Damn, Chuck, you might have to buy up half the land in southern Virginia to get started.

"Damn, Chuck, you might have to buy up half the land in southern Virginia to get started."

Nah. don't think so, just gonna get some some good 'ole boys and gals to raise some diff'ent stuff!! That's all!! I'm gonna raise some hops and rhizomes and sell some of dem!!

Maybe brew a tad of brew, too!!

Luv me sum brew Devils!!

Blackout Stout-Great Lakes Brewing

My son was kind (smart?) enough to include a couple of these in a mixed 6er he brought back from Ohio after Thanksgiving. I had one last PM. Wonder who gets the leftover...

Poured a nearly black color with a small tan head, this imperial stout had hints of coffee in aroma but a more pronounced presence in the taste. Tastes also included unsweetened chocolate and a bit of molasses and licorice. Mildly bitter from the four heavily roasted grains and two hop varieties, Simcoe and Northern Brewer. IBUs of 50 which is a bit low for the style. ABV was a hefty 9%, certainly in the range for a RIS. Allow to warm, decant into your favorite pint glass (or share with another dark beer lover) and sip for dessert this season, with or without a chocolate or fudge dessert. Not sure whether this is available in NC, though many other Great Lakes brews are distributed here. A worthy beer-hunting prize.

An aunt of mine recently returned from an OBX trip, and was nice enough to bring her favorite nephew a few treats from Weeping Radish. Included in the package was a few Black Radish Dark Lagers, and a Ruddy Red Ale. Neither are particular styles I am nuts over, but hey, free beer is free beer, right?

On to the first, the Black Radish. This Schwarzbier is apparently on the list of "50 beers to try before you die", so I guess I can mark this one off of the beer bucket list...

This poured a dark, almost burgundy color when held up to light. The head contained a ton of small tan colored bubbles that dissipated very quickly, like a soda. Basically no head retention. It went away instantly. The aroma had hints of chocolate, some burnt coffee, and the rest was very lager like. The taste was nothing special at all, a light mouth-feel with a fair amount of carbonation. Really can't go on about this one, other than it almost tasted somewhat off to me. Tasted no better than a Yuengling Black and Tan. Not to be too harsh on this, I'm just not a lager fan at all. Not a drain pour or anything, but certainly nothing I would seek out. I have a few of these left and would definitely trade them away. I guess it's one of those "glad I tried it, but know not to buy it" type of beers...We've all had those

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    An aunt of mine recently returned from an OBX trip, and was nice enough to bring her favorite nephew a few treats from Weeping Radish. Included in the package was a few Black Radish Dark Lagers, and a Ruddy Red Ale. Neither are particular styles I am nuts over, but hey, free beer is free beer, right?

On to the first, the Black Radish. This Schwarzbier is apparently on the list of "50 beers to try before you die", so I guess I can mark this one off of the beer bucket list...

This poured a dark, almost burgundy color when held up to light. The head contained a ton of small tan colored bubbles that dissipated very quickly, like a soda. Basically no head retention. It went away instantly. The aroma had hints of chocolate, some burnt coffee, and the rest was very lager like. The taste was nothing special at all, a light mouth-feel with a fair amount of carbonation. Really can't go on about this one, other than it almost tasted somewhat off to me. Tasted no better than a Yuengling Black and Tan. Not to be too harsh on this, I'm just not a lager fan at all. Not a drain pour or anything, but certainly nothing I would seek out. I have a few of these left and would definitely trade them away. I guess it's one of those "glad I tried it, but know not to buy it" type of beers...We've all had those
    I've never liked Weeping Radish brews, whether they were brewed in Durham years ago or since they moved to the OBX. I think your impression of "somewhat off" is a valid description. I'd be willing to give them another try if your aunt wished to bring me a bottle of each of their products.

I'll give Weeping Radish credit for being the first brewpub/craft beer I tried in Durham.
    I'm not surprised they closed up shop in Durham (the second brewpub in the same location failed as well shortly after Weeping Radish closed).
    I am surprised they are still in business.
    Their beer is not terrible, but I really can't think of any of their beers I'd ever choose to drink over anything else that was available.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'll give Weeping Radish credit for being the first brewpub/craft beer I tried in Durham.
    I'm not surprised they closed up shop in Durham (the second brewpub in the same location failed as well shortly after Weeping Radish closed).
    I am surprised they are still in business.
    Their beer is not terrible, but I really can't think of any of their beers I'd ever choose to drink over anything else that was available.
    Ha! So it wasn't just me who doesn't like WR beers. Can you name that 2nd brewpub? I have my guess and it starts with Steve and ...., IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ha! So it wasn't just me who doesn't like WR beers. Can you name that 2nd brewpub? I have my guess and it starts with Steve and ...., IIRC.
    Your memory is better than mine.
    Steve & Clarks

http://beerinator.com/north-carolina-beer-history/

Today on cask at Asheville Pizza & Brewing is the Ninja Porter with peanut butter and frickin jelly!

Tried a sample, pretty tasty. They used whole peanuts and raspberries. It honestly tasted just like a Pb&j

The Contortionist Hiwire Brewing, Asheville, NC

I was lucky enough to be one of to be one of the very first to try the Contortionist...literally, i was there when the tasting room opened today. This is the latest offering from Hiwire. The Contortionist is a new black ipa, a fairly new style that i have really came to enjoy. Off the bat, this smelled very dank, a fresh cannibis like scent. Didnt pour a monster head, but what was there stayed. The taste was the same as the aroma...tasted very dank, with a nice roasted malt to balance it out. Not extremely complex, but very well made. A more "sober" review would do it more justice...I had a but too much fun around the corner at Asheville Brewing

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Your memory is better than mine.
    Steve & Clarks

http://beerinator.com/north-carolina-beer-history/
    I almost said Lewis and Clarks but that would have been the wrong expedition. I have no clue why I could remember Steve and Clarks. Chalk it up to one more but of useless trivia .

Today on cask at Asheville Pizza & Brewing is the Ninja Porter with peanut butter and frickin jelly!

Tried a sample, pretty tasty. They used whole peanuts and raspberries. It honestly tasted just like a Pb&j
    Sounds like you need to try the Rogue/Voodoo Doughnuts collabeeration, err, collaboration of chocolate, peanut butter and banana, inspired by their Memphis Mafia donut.

http://www.rogue.com/beers/voodoo-chocolate-peanut.php

Survived another trip to South Hill

tonight with a public hearing to put in front of Town Council next month (final hurdle, save financing). Tonight was about gaining approval to recommend a change to their zoning ordinance and a special permit for my brewery. After some discussion both passed unanimously (for me, magnanimously) with nobody expressing anything remotely negative, just clarification on zoning wording, etc. I meet tomorrow with my business partner as he's finalized the business plan, so the game is on. The wait for serious action is nearly over. Tonight they also agreed that if I build a hopyard it's OK as long as I'm using it for my brewery or claim it as ornamental. I plan on doing this in the next few weeks, with planting scheduled for about April 1st (no fooling I plan to enlist a few of you to help us harvest late next summer-beers on me, of course!!

I was also interviewed today and will post the on-line interview once I've read (and approved) it. Stay tuned!!

I do really want to go to Asheville for their craftbeer festival later this month if any of you want to split a room, Jan. 25th. Devils play at noon and festivities are from 3-7PM, I think. Fun day, for sure.

Brewing either later today or tomorrow. Imperial Stout with an infusion of cherry during 2nd fermentation-will be my 1st 2nd fermentation and I've never infused with a product from my brewguy supplier. Stay tuned. Devildeac, next time you're available for a short trip, let's meet in South Hill for a little tour and I'd like your sage advice, please. I'll be coming down for the UVA game next Monday night, and will also visit down there several times over many weeks.

Have any of you folks ever had any beer that used anise as a flavoring? I.e. a licorice-type beer. Not sure I'd like it, but curious. GO DUKE!!

Brewing either later today or tomorrow. Imperial Stout with an infusion of cherry during 2nd fermentation-will be my 1st 2nd fermentation and I've never infused with a product from my brewguy supplier. Stay tuned. Devildeac, next time you're available for a short trip, let's meet in South Hill for a little tour and I'd like your sage advice, please. I'll be coming down for the UVA game next Monday night, and will also visit down there several times over many weeks.

Have any of you folks ever had any beer that used anise as a flavoring? I.e. a licorice-type beer. Not sure I'd like it, but curious. GO DUKE!!
    Stone did a version of its Russian imperial stout a few years ago with anise and I wasn't a huge fan but I am be biased because I really really like the original

Uinta Brewing also produces Labyrinth, an imperial stout with anise, IIRC. Not a big fan but always willing to sip a few ounces with someone.