Page 23 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533731235231023 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    BUT, no beer float.
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    devildeac, how's that for PWing?

Did a search and nothing showed up so I thaught I'd share the beer I am currently drinking. It's called Black Dog Honey-Raspberry Ale from Spanish Peaks Brewing Co.

I'm not usually a fan of sweet stuff but this was on sale so I gave it a try. Supprisingly, it is very good. It tastes more like real fruit than other fruit beers. Plus, it has a really great breath-out-through-nose aftertaste. They also make a Black Dog Porter which I'll try next time.

One side note: don't expect to drink a six pack!

So here's the question: It's 3:15 on Friday, 60 and sunny outside, and I'm home kinda early. When I go outside on the porch to read the paper, do I have a late-afternoon beer?

In the fridge is some Breck 471 IPA and some Great Divide Raspberry Ale. I think the former would be better under the circumstances-light flavor, less alcohol.

I'm not sure what to suggest for drinking, Rocky, but that sounds like a lovely Friday afternoon/early evening. Hope you enjoyed it!

I had a brown ale from the Lost Coast brewery in California the other night. I was hoping to love it (fun label, normally a huge fan of brown ales), but this one, for some reason, was nearly undrinkable. Way too floral, not smooth for an ale, too much hops for my taste. I was totally bummed.

Thumbs up Terrapin Golden Ale

From the terrapin brew company in Athens, GA, this is a crisp summer brew, light in ABV (5%), mild on the hoppiness meter, and a beautiful gold hue. This is a very mild ale, low on malt, and very refreshing. It's a good replacement for ye old summer lager, or if you're tired of Pilsners.

This is probably not the best time of year for this brew, but it's still a reliable brew. Probably paired best with standard fried pub or grilled fare.

NOT a signature brew from Terrapin ... the Cream Ale is a better classic choice. I'm also anxious to try their double rye.

This would be better on draught. Next time you visit UGADEVIL in Athens ...

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

devildeac, how's that for PWing?
    i have seen better PW'ing-you could have EASILY turned that into 2 posts, whilst quoting yourself in the 2nd one

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    So here's the question: It's 3:15 on Friday, 60 and sunny outside, and I'm home kinda early. When I go outside on the porch to read the paper, do I have a late-afternoon beer?

In the fridge is some Breck 471 IPA and some Great Divide Raspberry Ale. I think the former would be better under the circumstances-light flavor, less alcohol.
    So obviously I got my "former" and "latter" mixed up here. The "former"--the 471 IPA--is not "light flavor, less alcohol" when compared to the Great Divide Raspberry Ale. My bad. I did go with the Raspberry Ale (and greatly enjoyed the Denver Post's crossword), and it was excellent. Actually, best fruit beer I've had in a while--and that includes New Belgium's Frambozen. This beer uses only real raspberries, and it pays off. The fruit flavor is not super sweet like a syrup based beer. It is a brown ale with a background taste of berries. In essence, it has the weight and carbonation of a good brown ale (somewhat heavy), with the natural fruitiness of a raspberry beer. Great, and I highly recommend it.

After getting back from the bar (where the Duke game was not on, but the Mothership Wit was on tap!) and correcting my mistake about my beer choices yesterday afternoon, I actually had a 471 IIPA to go along with my reheated shrimp and roasted red pepper pizza.

Others have commented on this beer throughout this thread, so I'll try to add to that. First and foremost, be careful with this beer. It's a IIPA and has the ABV to back that up (9.2%). But, unlike other IIPAs (the Maharaja comes to mind) it doesn't kick your ^$%^$%^$% from first sip--it's light and refreshing. As a result, you'll think you're drinking a standard IPA (or even an American pale ale), which can be dangerous. As the beer warms, the alcohol comes through more directly and you become aware of the high gravity in your glass. Now, to what matters. The nose is not super pungent, but instead is very pleasant and crisp. The taste is straight grapefruit, ceding to piney hops. This is what American pale ales/IPAs should taste like. Unlike other IPAs, it doesn't remind of me of gin (btw, I like gin flavor in my beer, but it isn't a necessary element).

Complaints? Sure, but they're petty. The beer doesn't attack your tastebuds with hops, which makes me question it's IIPA status. Also, although it pours a beautiful ruby red color, the head was gone before I could change music on the cd player--meaning there was none left by the time this got to a drinking temperature.

ymm, beer

So obviously I got my "former" and "latter" mixed up here. The "former"--the 471 IPA--is not "light flavor, less alcohol" when compared to the Great Divide Raspberry Ale. My bad. I did go with the Raspberry Ale (and greatly enjoyed the Denver Post's crossword), and it was excellent. Actually, best fruit beer I've had in a while--and that includes New Belgium's Frambozen. This beer uses only real raspberries, and it pays off. The fruit flavor is not super sweet like a syrup based beer. It is a brown ale with a background taste of berries. In essence, it has the weight and carbonation of a good brown ale (somewhat heavy), with the natural fruitiness of a raspberry beer. Great, and I highly recommend it.
    better than Frambozen-ya gotta be kiddin' me! That may be available in NC, if so, gonna get me some tomorrow! Thanks.

ymm, beer

After getting back from the bar (where the Duke game was not on, but the Mothership Wit was on tap!) and correcting my mistake about my beer choices yesterday afternoon, I actually had a 471 IIPA to go along with my reheated shrimp and roasted red pepper pizza.

Others have commented on this beer throughout this thread, so I'll try to add to that. First and foremost, be careful with this beer. It's a IIPA and has the ABV to back that up (9.2%). But, unlike other IIPAs (the Maharaja comes to mind) it doesn't kick your ^$%^$%^$% from first sip--it's light and refreshing. As a result, you'll think you're drinking a standard IPA (or even an American pale ale), which can be dangerous. As the beer warms, the alcohol comes through more directly and you become aware of the high gravity in your glass. Now, to what matters. The nose is not super pungent, but instead is very pleasant and crisp. The taste is straight grapefruit, ceding to piney hops. This is what American pale ales/IPAs should taste like. Unlike other IPAs, it doesn't remind of me of gin (btw, I like gin flavor in my beer, but it isn't a necessary element).

Complaints? Sure, but they're petty. The beer doesn't attack your tastebuds with hops, which makes me question it's IIPA status. Also, although it pours a beautiful ruby red color, the head was gone before I could change music on the cd player--meaning there was none left by the time this got to a drinking temperature.
    the head being gone fairly quickly is rather common in high gravity beers. Not sure why. High alcohol affecting the carbonation? yeast 'dying' cuz of the high ABV? Maybe the only exception is Duvel which coats the glass with a wonderful layer of Belgian 'lace' that disappears slowly as you sip it.

I was quite surprised and happy to find 471 in NC and think I have 1 bottle left which you have convinced me to enjoy in the next day or two.

Tonite, it is the stout float...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Tonite, it is the stout float...
    Am eagerly awaiting your review.

Me too. I've saved a Breck Vanilla Porter just to see a larger sample set on the beer-float reviews.

I may have a bonus review for tomorrow. My roommate went up to Ft. Collins today and picked up a grumbler of the New Belgium La Follie. It's a Belgian Sour Brown, and is only available at the brewery. I've had it before and loved it--although for just one glass. I'll post thoughts tomorrow.

ymm, beer

Beer float:

Pour 12 ounces of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout into a pint glass, gently so as not to create too large a head and add 2-3 scoops vanilla ice cream. Watch so it does not foam over, as it did with me. Sip slowly, or with a straw, or with a large spoon and enjoy. This reminded me of a Black Russian with a bit less of a kick. Hey, alcohol with a dairy product, why not? The chocolate flavor of the BBCS balanced the creamy sweetness of the vanilla ice cream fairly nicely. I found very little bitterness in the stout as it was balanced with the sugar and smoothness of the ice cream. A milk chocolate macadamia cookie rounded out my late night dessert just fine. This is not a treat I would enjoy regularly as I prefer the BBCS by itself for its robust maltiness and dark chocolate taste. I also prefer a bowl of rich vanilla ice cream by itself also(well, perhaps with some hot fudge sauce or chocolate syrup once in a while,too) Cookies and milk make a fine dessert, too.

RockyMtDevil, Ohioguy, Slim Slow Slider: I would definitely 'sacrifice' a stout one night for this combo. You too, Lavabe. No, TG, I did not ignore you-you already had one of these and inspired(goaded?) me into finally making a beer float. A stout with more coffee flavors/overtones might be a nice combo with ice cream, too.

And Ugadevil-I raise you one. I think you had a stout and chocolate chip cookie(or brownie?) for dessert in chat today to celebrate your 500th post. I will see you and raise you with a scoop or two of ice cream with your combo

ymm, beer

Me too. I've saved a Breck Vanilla Porter just to see a larger sample set on the beer-float reviews.

I may have a bonus review for tomorrow. My roommate went up to Ft. Collins today and picked up a grumbler of the New Belgium La Follie. It's a Belgian Sour Brown, and is only available at the brewery. I've had it before and loved it--although for just one glass. I'll post thoughts tomorrow.
    The vanilla porter might be nice with some Breyer's or Edy's Vanilla ice cream also. Or maybe a toffee or coffee flavored ice cream.

What is a grumbler? Is it bigger or smaller than a growler .

The vanilla porter might be nice with some Breyer's or Edy's Vanilla ice cream also. Or maybe a toffee or coffee flavored ice cream.

What is a grumbler? Is it bigger or smaller than a growler .
    A "grumbler" is what you call a "growler" when you're really pissed off...or when the 471 IIPA has warmed up and affected your brain

I'll give the vanilla porter a try with some toffee ice cream tomorrow and report, as I hope several others, including devildeac, will! (did not read the great beer float review by Devildeac before writing this response)
    Last edited by rockymtn devil; 02-23-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: see the last sentence!

Angry You said the magic words...

Black Russian.

We had a "zebra party" way back in Duke days, and I vaguely recall having had too many Black Russians and White Russians, followed by some beer chasers. That was the worst sick I've ever felt. To this day, I've avoided anything remotely similar to those first two drinks.

The stout float is too perilously close to a white Russian.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Beer float:

Pour 12 ounces of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout into a pint glass, gently so as not to create too large a head and add 2-3 scoops vanilla ice cream. Watch so it does not foam over, as it did with me. Sip slowly, or with a straw, or with a large spoon and enjoy. This reminded me of a Black Russian with a bit less of a kick. Hey, alcohol with a dairy product, why not? The chocolate flavor of the BBCS balanced the creamy sweetness of the vanilla ice cream fairly nicely. I found very little bitterness in the stout as it was balanced with the sugar and smoothness of the ice cream. A milk chocolate macadamia cookie rounded out my late night dessert just fine. This is not a treat I would enjoy regularly as I prefer the BBCS by itself for its robust maltiness and dark chocolate taste. I also prefer a bowl of rich vanilla ice cream by itself also(well, perhaps with some hot fudge sauce or chocolate syrup once in a while,too) Cookies and milk make a fine dessert, too.

RockyMtDevil, Ohioguy, Slim Slow Slider: I would definitely 'sacrifice' a stout one night for this combo. You too, Lavabe. No, TG, I did not ignore you-you already had one of these and inspired(goaded?) me into finally making a beer float. A stout with more coffee flavors/overtones might be a nice combo with ice cream, too.

And Ugadevil-I raise you one. I think you had a stout and chocolate chip cookie(or brownie?) for dessert in chat today to celebrate your 500th post. I will see you and raise you with a scoop or two of ice cream with your combo
    Way to go devildeac!! You're right, it's not a dessert to be enjoyed everyday, just once in a while, like all other desserts.

Glad you liked the float. I had vanilla ice cream with a caramel swirl in my stout.

Now, I challenge the rest of you beer enthusiasts to try a beer float. Rockymtn devil, can't wait to read about your vanilla porter float.

Lavabe, a white russian is much more powerful than a stout and ice cream. Come on, give it a try. If I was in Atlanta, I'd buy the beer for you. That goes for you too Ohioguy. I'd buy the beer for you just to so you could try the float.

P.S. Devildeac, I didn't feel ignored in your post.

ymm, beer

A "grumbler" is what you call a "growler" when you're really pissed off...or when the 471 IIPA has warmed up and affected your brain

I'll give the vanilla porter a try with some toffee ice cream tomorrow and report, as I hope several others, including devildeac, will! (did not read the great beer float review by Devildeac before writing this response)
    I don't think I can find any more Breck' vanilla porter here. I may try a Storm King or Old Rasputin which are more coffee-like imperial stouts than the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Bells'/Kalamazoo makes some interesting stouts(Expedition, Double Cream, Java) and may make a vanilla porter also, but not sure which ones I can get here. The toffee/coffee ice cream sounds very interesting and will be waiting for a review this week...

ymm, beer

Way to go devildeac!! You're right, it's not a dessert to be enjoyed everyday, just once in a while, like all other desserts.

Glad you liked the float. I had vanilla ice cream with a caramel swirl in my stout.

Now, I challenge the rest of you beer enthusiasts to try a beer float. Rockymtn devil, can't wait to read about your vanilla porter float.

Lavabe, a white russian is much more powerful than a stout and ice cream. Come on, give it a try. If I was in Atlanta, I'd buy the beer for you. That goes for you too Ohioguy. I'd buy the beer for you just to so you could try the float.

P.S. Devildeac, I didn't feel ignored in your post.
    1. some desserts I could enjoy every day(brownies, home made chocolate chip cookies, German chocolate cake, bourbon/chocolate chip/pecan pie)-better stop there, I just gained 5 pounds just thinking about them...
    2. OOOHHH, did not think of the caramel-that will be the next adventure...

Cheers to that. For those that weren't in the chat, I paired up a Breck Vanilla Porter with a slice of Edward's Hershey Pie. The two went very well together. Next task will be making some chocolate chip muffins to go w/ a Breck Vanilla. Maybe tonight during the Oscars?