Page 226 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1261762162242252262272282362763267261226 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,520 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Thanks, dd, looking forward to the brown ale review since it was made for you. Plz don't hold back. I've had other reviews from folks around here. Won't share those reviews at this time. I'm back in South Hill tomorrow for more meetings, then likely to Emporia on Thursday. Looking to expand, already. Tough start!! Also want to know what kind of stout I can brew for Bowlfest.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Thanks, dd, looking forward to the brown ale review since it was made for you. Plz don't hold back. I've had other reviews from folks around here. Won't share those reviews at this time. I'm back in South Hill tomorrow for more meetings, then likely to Emporia on Thursday. Looking to expand, already. Tough start!! Also want to know what kind of stout I can brew for Bowlfest.
    Can you pull off an imperial stout? If not, how about a standard stout with vanilla, coffee or cherries?

I had a brown ale last PM. Will try to post something tonight but I'm working so it may be Thursday.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Even though it's in a huge semi frosted pilsner glass *rolls eyes*, I'm enjoying a Green Man IPA for 2 bucks. Not bad for 22oz

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Can you pull off an imperial stout? If not, how about a standard stout with vanilla, coffee or cherries?

I had a brown ale last PM. Will try to post something tonight but I'm working so it may be Thursday.
    Not a huge brown ale fan, but if you can get Hiwire beers where you are, try their bed of Nails Brown Ale. They are a new brewery here in Asheville, but I'm pretty sure they distribute in the triangle. Tasty stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Even though it's in a huge semi frosted pilsner glass *rolls eyes*, I'm enjoying a Green Man IPA for 2 bucks. Not bad for 22oz
    It's not the glass, it's the beer. I'd drink out of a mason (not miles or marshall ) jar if you're serving Green Man IPA for $2 for 22 ounces.

Not a huge brown ale fan, but if you can get Hiwire beers where you are, try their bed of Nails Brown Ale. They are a new brewery here in Asheville, but I'm pretty sure they distribute in the triangle. Tasty stuff!
    The brown ale to which I was referring was one of duketaylor's home brews and he wanted several of us to sample them at/after the NCSU tailgate.

The brown ale to which I was referring was one of duketaylor's home brews and he wanted several of us to sample them at/after the NCSU tailgate.
    Right on! I wish I were closer to where you guys are so I cloud try some of Duketaylor's brews. It's been my dream to open a brewery as well. I would absolutely support a Dukie's brewery!

http://www.beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/

I'll just go with ignorance is bliss

Weyerbacher 18

I'll just say my better half claimed this and enjoyed it.

It was labeled a very boozy 11.1%.

I only got to have a sip, but man, in a blind test I would have guessed a dubbel or barleywine- lots of fig/raisin notes in the beer.

Good stuff, thanks devildeac!

"Can you pull off an imperial stout?"

"Can you make a shoe smell?"

http://www.hark.com/clips/rczkkznpcy...e-a-shoe-smell

Imperial stout it shall be, any twists, er, extra flavours?

Will brew during T-day week, available 2nd week in Dec.
    Here's the location of my brewery, I hope; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kahil...96663627035246

I imagine some of you folks have dined there. I'll occupy the bottom 5000 sq. feet.

Here's the location of my brewery, I hope; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kahil...96663627035246

I imagine some of you folks have dined there. I'll occupy the bottom 5000 sq. feet.
    Congratulations on the location!

On the Imperial stout, (having never brewed one myself) I am thinking 2 weeks of aging is going to make a very rough high alcohol beer.
    Maybe vanilla, coffee or oak chips might mellow it out some. I've not seen too many high gravity beers that go from brewing to bottle that quickly. Fingers crossed that it comes out great!

http://www.beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/

I'll just go with ignorance is bliss
    Or share your brews.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'll just say my better half claimed this and enjoyed it.

It was labeled a very boozy 11.1%.

I only got to have a sip, but man, in a blind test I would have guessed a dubbel or barleywine- lots of fig/raisin notes in the beer.

Good stuff, thanks devildeac!
    I'll check to see if I have another. It's a weizendoublebock.

Here's the review from about 6 weeks ago:

Eighteen-Weyerbacher Brewing

Another anniversary ale and another excellent creation. This year it's a weizendoppelbock. Well, technically I guess at 11.1% ABV it should be called an imperial weizendoppelbock as most double bocks are 8-9% ABV. Five malts, including two wheat varieties, comprise the grain base and impart fruity esters, banana, cloves and citrus in addition to a creamy milk chocolate-y and toasted bready mouth feel. Little hop presence, guessing IBU in the 20-30 range. Poured a cloudy brown color with a small head, this is liquid dessert or a nice beverage to serve with apple or peach cobblers. Purchased at Total Wine last week for about $12 for the 4 pack. Buy the package and trade/share with friends.

Straight up? Cherries? Belgian yeast? Coffee?

I've heard of Kahill's but never dined there. That will obviously have to change.

DT's Brown Ale-Duketaylor Brewing

Sorry about the delay, Chuck, been a real busy week. Poured a slightly murky, medium to dark brown with aromas of caramel, nuts and toffee. I know you brewed it with raspberries, figs and peaches, IIRC, but got none of that in the nose. The tastes of the fruits were very subtle and not sure I'd have guessed right on the raspberries but would have ventured dried dark fruits like raisins, dates and figs were included. Those comments are not bad either, just that they were more subtle than expected. I'd probably use a little larger quantities of each next batch. Very mild on the IBUs, guessing about 20. I'd estimate the ABV to be 5-6% range. Would pair nicely with ribs, brisket, chopped/pulled pork or BBQ chicken. Would make a nice after dinner brew also. I've got two left and will let one age about 30 days and save the 3rd for fuse. I'd love to read what CB&B and August West think about this after they tried it. Thanks for sharing!

Wasn't sure how much fruit to infuse. Will adjust next time. It's all about tinkering to get it right. Imperial Stout on deck

Wasn't sure how much fruit to infuse. Will adjust next time. It's all about tinkering to get it right. Imperial Stout on deck
    Now, of course, I'd love to hear what some of your other tasters thought...

I agree with the amount of additives. You add too much fruit, it tastes like Welch's/Ocean Spray/Robitussin. Add too little and folks say, "where the heck are the raspberries/cherries/peaches.

Fuse had a couple other good thoughts too upthread about additives to your imperial stout. A guy who used to own TomCat Brewing here in Raleigh (about 10 years out of business), helped some friends of ours about a decade ago with some homebrews and their imperial stout was probably the best homebrew I've ever tasted. The bar is set high.

DT's Brown Ale-Duketaylor Brewing

Sorry about the delay, Chuck, been a real busy week. Poured a slightly murky, medium to dark brown with aromas of caramel, nuts and toffee. I know you brewed it with raspberries, figs and peaches, IIRC, but got none of that in the nose. The tastes of the fruits were very subtle and not sure I'd have guessed right on the raspberries but would have ventured dried dark fruits like raisins, dates and figs were included. Those comments are not bad either, just that they were more subtle than expected. I'd probably use a little larger quantities of each next batch. Very mild on the IBUs, guessing about 20. I'd estimate the ABV to be 5-6% range. Would pair nicely with ribs, brisket, chopped/pulled pork or BBQ chicken. Would make a nice after dinner brew also. I've got two left and will let one age about 30 days and save the 3rd for fuse. I'd love to read what CB&B and August West think about this after they tried it. Thanks for sharing!
    I'm planning on sitting down tomorrow night and enjoying DT's brews. Will report my findings soon thereafter. Thanks again and look forward to a trip to South Hill. AW.

Always listening/learning.

From August, 2011:

Golden Monkey-Victory Brewing

Victory's answer to Duvel. This is a triple style Belgian ale with a yellow, cloudy pour, a bit of white pepper on the palate and a bit of orange peel and coriander, too. IBU are low, guessing 20-30 and the ABV is 9.5%. Serve chilled in a goblet and enjoy with a fruity salsa topping on your chicken or lighter body seafood. I had not enjoyed one of these is a while and bought a 6er for trading purposes and was pleasantly surprised to sample one of these again.

This year's tasting was compliments of duketaylor who left a couple of these at the NCSU tailgate, I got to sip one of these again this week and greatly appreciated that opportunity. Not many different thoughts this year. When you find a winning recipe, keep brewing it. Thanks, Chuck!