Page 221 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1211712112192202212222232312713217211221 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,420 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Duketaylor American Flag cap red stripe

Another good pour with a thick head, deep gold in colour.
    Mild aroma, some sweet malt in the nose also.

Milder than the previous duketaylor brew.
    I may be wrong on both beers, but the second one is much harder for me to place.
    I'll call it a golden ale based on the colour, maybe a Belgian style pale ale.
    Very nice!

Again, thank you duketaylor!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'm not quite sure what I did to deserve this honour, but devildeac has done it again!

Russian River is another world class brewery I've not had the chance to try.
    Damnation is a Belgian style golden ale.

Thin head and Belgian lace in the glass, with a nose of candy sugar and mild earthy florals.
    A wonderful light gold in the glass.

This is quintessential Belgian style beer. Reminds me very much of Duvel, which is among the highest compliments I can pay. There are some nice herbal spicy elements mid palate.

The only downside is I had to share this with my better half, who also quite enjoyed it!

Thank you devildeac, lot of good stuff still to taste!
    You are most welcome. My only regret is that I could only bring back 8 bottles.

I think the other one you got is even better.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

August West, an infrequent poster here, shared this with me on another site:

"A slight sidetrack from the regular reviews. Check out a TV show on the Esquire newtwork called "Brew Dogs". It is about two guys, (brewmasters), from Scotland touring around the US brewing beer in unique ways and places. So far they have been in LA / San Diego, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Denver. Next week they are in Portland, OR. Besides brewing beer, they list their top 5 craft beers brewers and top 5 pubs in each town. They also recruit "craft beer virgins" to sample different beers. Sometimes they visit a local chef to pair different beers with different foods. Check your local listings for showtimes. Great show."

Sounds interesting.

Tell Tale Heart IPA-Peabody Heights Brewery/Baltimore Washington Beer Works/Raven Beer

I know how I got this beer (trader from fuse) but can't 'splain the brewery confusion above. I'll guess it's contract brewing like Saranac/Matt Brewing and Utah's Brewing Co-op/Wasatch/Uinta Brewing in Salt Lake City.

Pours a golden-yellow with a mildly foamy head and aromas of tropical fruit and caramel. This is a surprisingly sweet IPA. Think tropical fruits like guava, mango, pineapple and papaya that have been dipped in caramel fondue/ice cream syrup. There are nuances of grapefruit, too. Seriously. Fits the bill for an IPA with stats of 50 and 7.3% for the IBUs and ABV respectively from 3 grains and 4 hops (Malts: 2-row Pale, Dark Munich,
    Caramalt; Hops: Bravo, Chinook, Simcoe,Citra-from ravenbeer.com) Would make a nice pairing with grilled fish topped with a fruity and spicy compote/salsa. Cool label.

http://ravenbeer.com/default.asp?iId=GGIFFD

Lot No. 6-Evolution Craft Brewing Company

From their brewers' notes-for davekay : "Think of this as our Lot #3 on performance-enhancing malt and hops." Wonder if MLB would ban this brew.

Another fine trader from fuse, this poured a rich gold-bronze hue with a moderate foamy head and had aromas of pine, resin and a bit of citrus. Grains and hops as listed:

Hops: Columbus, Centennial, Citra
    Malt: Pale, Pilsner, Caramalt, Dark Crystal

ABV at 8.5% and IBUs of 75 so it's definitely a double IPA and very drinkable. I'd serve modestly chilled (50-60 degrees) in a snifter or chalice and with spicy entrees or as an after dinner drink.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You are most welcome. My only regret is that I could only bring back 8 bottles.

I think the other one you got is even better.
    I am very excited about it but figured after sampling 3 beers I'd enjoy it more today :-)

Fuse, I didn't brew that one. It's my friend that I want to be my brewer. He's a sous chef in town and had has 7 more years of brewing experience than me, but I'm told he's talented. So I'll let him know you like it. I think it was a Californial ale (whatever that is exactly). I'll check with him. I'm gonna brew a brown ale with some fruit tomorrow or Monday. Will bring for NCSU game. How 'bout those DEVILS!!!

Russian River Supplication

Another bucket list beer, courtesy of devildeac.

All dark fruit, sour cherry in the nose, minimal head.
    Looks like a red tinged amber ale in the glass, almost like a brown ale in certain light.

A little bit of sweet cherry up front, nicely sour on the finish.
    I don't know if I could drink this all day but I'd be willing to try given the opportunity.

The label says ale aged 9 to 12 months in Pinot Noir barrels with cherries added.
    It's not quite the same as Kasteel Rouge, but it is in a similar vein. Kasteel Rouge is another beer with which I enjoy ending a nice evening. My better half suggests it reminds her of a Kriek.

All this confirms is Russian River has a well deserved reputation. I'm really looking forward to opening the Sierra Nevada Russian River collaboration Brux.

Thanks devildeac!

DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter

Ok, I get that some will take exception to the name.
    I'm not without a sense of humor, but anyway.

Pours deep inky black, somewhat translucent to light, with a thick tan head.
    The nose is all Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

All this needs is a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Perfect fall dessert beer during Halloween season.
    Finishes very dry, and chocolate peanut buttery.

My anecdotal understanding is DuClaw held a home brewing contest, and this was the winning beer.
    It became their most popular offering to the point of they had to expand to keep up with demand.

This is thick and rich enough, even though the alcohol is not too high, to be a single sipper or even shared- although a delicious one at that.

If you like Reese's peanut butter cups, or chocolate / sweet beers, this is well worth seeking out.

Why Can't IBU-Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Another trader from fuse. New beer and brewery to me but I have occasionally seen their products on local shelves I think. It's a Belgian pale ale and it poured a yellow-straw color with a modest fizzy head. The malts are relatively light and the hops impart some grassy, pine and light citrus notes. Hints of black pepper from the Belgian yeasts are present, too. No IBU ratings to be found so I'd wager about 30 and the ABV is 5.7% so a nice sharing/session beer and not strong or hoppy enough to gain entry into the IPA thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Ok, I get that some will take exception to the name.
    I'm not without a sense of humor, but anyway.

Pours deep inky black, somewhat translucent to light, with a thick tan head.
    The nose is all Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

All this needs is a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Perfect fall dessert beer during Halloween season.
    Finishes very dry, and chocolate peanut buttery.

My anecdotal understanding is DuClaw held a home brewing contest, and this was the winning beer.
    It became their most popular offering to the point of they had to expand to keep up with demand.

This is thick and rich enough, even though the alcohol is not too high, to be a single sipper or even shared- although a delicious one at that.

If you like Reese's peanut butter cups, or chocolate / sweet beers, this is well worth seeking out.
    Dang. Beat me to the review. I thought about this one last night and tonight but I've had peanut butter, banana and honey sammiches on 12 grain bread for breakfast the last two days and just couldn't bring myself to have more peanut butter flavors today. I'll be be looking forward to sampling this, perhaps tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Great find, Bob. Hope you savored it.

Here's a list now from which the vt DC can select (the most bitter beers in the world):

http://www.beertutor.com/beers/index.php?t=highest_ibu

Newcastle Werewolf Blood Red Ale

Maybe a more in depth review in the future, but I picked this up for a pumpkin carving party.
    I'm not sure what makes it a red ale but it was enjoyable to drink.

Made my brown ale this morning and will bring to NCSU fball tailgate. GO DUKE!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great find, Bob. Hope you savored it.
    It's chilling in my garage refrigerator, we will savor it together at Tailgate on November 9.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It's chilling in my garage refrigerator, we will savor it together at Tailgate on November 9.
    Excellent. If Duke FB keeps winning, we'll make you a regular on this thread.

Duke/NCSU tailgate

I'll be bringing three different Victory beers and at least two of mine, an amber ale and a brown ale. May need to meet with someone who has parking pass to help transport them to the tailgate as I'll be coming from the golf reunion tournament/golf course. Now that it's a 4PM game there should be plenty of time to coordinate.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I'll be bringing three different Victory beers and at least two of mine, an amber ale and a brown ale. May need to meet with someone who has parking pass to help transport them to the tailgate as I'll be coming from the golf reunion tournament/golf course. Now that it's a 4PM game there should be plenty of time to coordinate.

That sounds great. I sent Oz a PM to see if he had an extra drop-off pass you could use.

From the wacky folks at Dogfish Head Brewing comes yet another concoction:

Kvasir

"With the help of biomolecular archaeologist Dr. Patrick McGovern, we've re‐created another Ancient Ale, this time from the Nordic climes of Scandinavia.
    The recipe for Kvasir was developed with the help of chemical, botanical and pollen evidence taken from a 3,500‐year‐old Danish drinking vessel. The vessel, made of birch bark, was found in the tomb of a leather‐clad woman Dr. Pat says was probably an upper-class dancer or priestess. The analysis pointed to the ingredients used in this unique brew: wheat, lingonberries, cranberries, myrica gale, yarrow, honey and birch syrup.
    The base of Kvasir is a toasty red winter wheat, and the bog-grown berries deliver a pungent tartness. While a handful of hops is used, the earthy, bitter counterpunch to the sweet honey and birch syrup comes from the herbs."