Page 215 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1151652052132142152162172252653157151215 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,300 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Hoplar-Hardywood Brewing

I purchased this corked and caged 750 ml bottle on Father's Day at the brewery during their oyster roast to celebrate the occasion. Poured an almost oily orange-amber with a large, foamy head into two tulip glasses last PM with a shrimp and grits dinner and shared with our son. Luscious nose of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice with pulp and bits of zest included. Notes of pine and resin, too. Tastes of the same with earthy, woody and vanilla tones also from the poplar aging. Nice malty balance with loads of caramel sweetness as evidenced by the ABV of 8.5% to counteract the hefty IBU of 100 (!!). Would have no hesitation buying this again, either bottled or if I could find it on draft. I think I have one in fuse's trader box in my garage, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Big day today with our usual tastings at tailgate for the Troy game.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    So, I sanitized the airlock and put it back on. Should I just dump and start over? Or will it be ok?
    Have you racked / bottled / legged your first batch yet?
    Fingers crossed for you!

I'd at least bottle them up, wait 5 days then cool one and see what you think. I'm fermenting an amber ale right now, will likely bottle tomorrow or Tuesday.

Industrial IPA-Diamond Knot Brewing

Yep, it's an imperial India pale ale but they don't want it called that. This is from a brewery in Mukilteo, Washington that I've seen distributed here for several years but just never bought/sampled any of their products until August West contributed this ~$6 bomber to our tasting yesterday. A nice starter for the afternoon.

Pungent aromas of citrus and pine on the olfactory with the same on the gustatory along with a nicely balanced caramel and malty finish. Poured a slightly cloudy orange-amber with a generous frothy head. We thought it was kind of in-between an IPA and DIPA, but, upon further review, it really is an IIPA with 7.9% ABV and 85 IBU stats and it paired nicely with a broccoli salad and a mixed green salad with balsamic dressing and lots of Gorgonzola cheese, strawberries, walnuts and craisins.

The afternoon tasting actually started off with the Pumpking from Southern Tier but, as I arrived too late for the sampling, I shall not review it but simply shed a few tears lamenting our tardy appearance. Maybe we can get August West or dpslaw to provide a summary.

Oatmeal Yeti-Great Divide Brewing

The 6th offspring of the Yeti family, this one has the typical onyx-colored, viscous, oily pour and mouthfeel of any imperial stout. Where this one differs is with the addition of oatmeal to the grain base which imparts a very smooth (CathyCA nailed this one) texture to the palate. Luscious aromas of espresso, dark chocolate and booze with tastes of the same plus a very pleasant molasses-like sweetness, too. The addition of raisins contributes to the perception of dark fruits. I'd guess the IBU about 60, standard for the style. The ABV is 9.5%, also in-line with an imperial stout. We sipped and shared this bomber (probably about $10) from dpslaw along with nibbling on slices of chocolate-iced cinnamon streusel pound cake. This was an outstanding selection.

Event Horizon (2010)-Olde Hickory Brewing

Drink local!

Fuse was not there physically but his contribution via this wax-sealed bomber several months ago at a trading session qualified him to be there in spirit(s). This is am imperial stout made with honey and aged in bourbon barrels. Poured an oily (10W-30 style), almost pitch black elixir with a small tan head with alluring smells of cocoa, dark chocolate and moderately roasted coffee. No other additives beside the honey are listed. Tastes matched the smells with some molasses, dark caramel and finishing with whiskey. I'd guess the IBU at 50-60, as with most RIS brews, and the ABV was 10%, on par with expectations. I think we were enjoying the blackberry and red raspberry cobblers by this time and made a very pleasing combination. Would also be outstanding with dark chocolate creations or by itself from a snifter as a nightcap. Received a 100 on ratebeer. A prolonged tip of the chalice to fuse again.

Warlock-Southern Tier Brewing

Pumking's dark side. Part of their Blackwater Series, this imperial stout really is more of an imperial porter as the color is closer to mahogany brown and not midnight black and the consistency is a bit thinner than a RIS should be. That's not to detract from the quality either as this is like liquid pumpkin bread (but no spices) baked with coffee beans and dark chocolate chunks (thought there is no sludge in the last 30 ml of this bomber). Ale yeast, two hops, four malts plus pumpkins comprise the ingredients. I'd guess the IBU in the 50 range and we dropped down a bit in ABV with this selection to 8.6%. August West kindly provided this dessert brew. Have it alone or with any spiced cakes.

And the final entry of the day:

Tripel Overhead Bourbon Barrel Aged (2011)-Mother Earth Brewing

Drink local!

Once again, this is a brew from fuse from a trading session several months ago and dated May, 2011, so not only was this aged for several months in old bourbon barrels, it aged another couple years in his garage/cellar/fridge and and another couple or three months in my beer storage facility. Poured a cloudy orange-amber with a lovely nose of orange zest, flowers, a pinch of black pepper from the Belgian yeast, and a bit of booze. Tastes match the aromas along with some vanilla from the barrel aging and moderate sweetness from the likely addition of candi sugar to the brewing process. I'd guess the IBU in the 30 range as it is a triple and the ABV was 9.5%, IIRC from the end of the highly successful tasting session.

Rumble-Great Divide Brewing

This is another fine ale from an excellent brewery. I got this for $2 off on a close out from Total Wine last week plus another buck off with a coupon so $9 for the 6er. Pretty good price. It is an oak aged IPA and poured an orange-amber with a modest head. Nice notes of citrus, pine, vanilla and light brown sugar, with both aromas and tastes. The oak aging smooths out the rough edges of the expected IPA bitterness. Couldn't find and IBU number but I'd guess 60 and the ABV is 7.1% so a good balance. Would match well with just about anything a bit on the spicy side off the grill or from the wok. I'm sticking one of these in fuse's trading box.

Warning: lots of nsfw/colorful language in this link but if that doesn't offend you, you may fall out of your chair laughing.
    Enjoy!

http://www.collegehumor.com/article/...your-local-bar

World Beer Festival

Anyone else going Saturday to the World Beer Festival in Durham?

Been a long, long time since I have been, but it should be a fun tasting session.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Anyone else going Saturday to the World Beer Festival in Durham?

Been a long, long time since I have been, but it should be a fun tasting session.
    Headed out of town for the weekend. Let's see, $45, all you can drink, four hours. Take notes. That should provide enough tastings for a couple weeks of reviews.

Eighteen-Weyerbacher Brewing

Another anniversary ale and another excellent creation. This year it's a weizendoppelbock. Well, technically I guess at 11.1% ABV it should be called an imperial weizendoppelbock as most double bocks are 8-9% ABV. Five malts, including two wheat varieties, comprise the grain base and impart fruity esters, banana, cloves and citrus in addition to a creamy milk chocolate-y and toasted bready mouth feel. Little hop presence, guessing IBU in the 20-30 range. Poured a cloudy brown color with a small head, this is liquid dessert or a nice beverage to serve with apple or peach cobblers. Purchased at Total Wine last week for about $12 for the 4 pack. Buy the package and trade/share with friends.

Punkin Ale-Dogfish Head Brewing

Believe it or not, this is their original ale, brewed and released for an annual Punkin Chunkin contest, this brew debuted in 1994, six months before they were actually in business. It's a brown ale base with the expected spices of allspice, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. The blend is not overpowering and the pumpkin presence is rather subtle. IBUs are listed at 28 and the ABV is 7% so I'm not sure I'm going to taste anything else tonight. This remains one of my favorite fall/pumpkin brews. Received as a trader for a future draft (or bottle) choice from August West at the Troy Brunchgate. Return payment will have to be at the NCSU FB game next month.

RJ Rockers

Picked up a 12-pack of RJ Rockers this week out of Spartanburg, SC for something fresh and new. Anyone tried it? I tried the Son of a Peach, Patriot's Pale Ale, Bald Eagle Brown and the Bell Ringer high gravity. Overall, not a bad blend, but probably not something I would pick up again. The highlight has definitely been the Patriot's Pale, which like the bottle says, has been "aggressively hopped with Challenger and Cascade and has a sweet caramel finish". Very smooth with a pleasant aftertaste. Unfortunately, the others have lacked in one area or another. The Peach says it's brewed with real peaches but the peach taste is so overwhelming, it feels like you're drinking peach syrup; and generally I don't really mind (and sometimes actively like) the fruity beers. The Bald Eagle Brown was pretty good for a brown ale, which is not my favorite, but I would drink it again if someone handed it to me. The Bell Ringer has a very bitterish bland (if that's possible) aftertaste which really killed any taste left in my mouth. If you see this and the mood strikes you, check out the Patriot Pale but leave the others on the shelf.
    rjr.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Headed out of town for the weekend. Let's see, $45, all you can drink, four hours. Take notes. That should provide enough tastings for a couple weeks of reviews.
    I can assure you for the exact reasons you state that no reviews will come out of the beer festival. Sorry! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Picked up a 12-pack of RJ Rockers this week out of Spartanburg, SC for something fresh and new. Anyone tried it? I tried the Son of a Peach, Patriot's Pale Ale, Bald Eagle Brown and the Bell Ringer high gravity. Overall, not a bad blend, but probably not something I would pick up again. The highlight has definitely been the Patriot's Pale, which like the bottle says, has been "aggressively hopped with Challenger and Cascade and has a sweet caramel finish". Very smooth with a pleasant aftertaste. Unfortunately, the others have lacked in one area or another. The Peach says it's brewed with real peaches but the peach taste is so overwhelming, it feels like you're drinking peach syrup; and generally I don't really mind (and sometimes actively like) the fruity beers. The Bald Eagle Brown was pretty good for a brown ale, which is not my favorite, but I would drink it again if someone handed it to me. The Bell Ringer has a very bitterish bland (if that's possible) aftertaste which really killed any taste left in my mouth. If you see this and the mood strikes you, check out the Patriot Pale but leave the others on the shelf.
    rjr.jpg
    I am not a fan of RJ Rockers. Their Son of a Peach to me tastes like peach schnapps(for me that is not a good thing).
    I think the other one I have tried is Fish Paralyzer, a Belgian style ale that was bad enough I would have preferred to drink dirty dishwater.

Notes

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I could see DevilDeac's notes:
    Hour 1: "This ale had a nicely brewed flavor with a perfect blend of cascade and hallertau hops that wasn't too bitter but still had a nice body and aftertaste. A great beer for hanging out on the front porch with some friends."

Hour 4: "This beer is awful! But who gives a s&%!!"