Page 195 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 951451851931941951961972052452956951195 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Not much of a "formal" review, but highly recommended.

Floral but somewhat sour nose, bright gold in the glass, translucent with vigorous carbonation.
    Thick head that remains to the last drop.

Packs a deceiving 8.5% wallop- drinks much easier than that.

From the makers of Delerium Tremens, Delerium Noel, and Delerium Nocturnum, this brewery churns out unbelievable beers.

La Guillotine is an outstanding beer.
    Pretty good labels/bottles, too:

beer_1039.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet 2012 Below Decks by Clipper City Brewing Company, Baltimore, Maryland. I got the 22 oz bomber at Total Wine. It was pricey, about $7, but worth it. A dark barleywine style ale with a very full flavor, smooth and easy drinking. It's 10% ABV, so, at 22 oz, don't drink this if you're planning on doing much other than sitting back on the couch and watching your latest netflix movie. Thebeercircle.com didn't think as much of the flavor as I did, but I'm a relative novice at the craft beer game, so, since I liked the flavor of this beer so much, I guess I've got much mo-better to look forward to as I keep chugging my way through life...

http://thebeercircle.com/reviews/bee...cks-barleywine

PS: click the link and see the bottle label. That label is almost worth buying the beer for, all by itself. But make sure you drink the beer, too...

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet 2012 Below Decks by Clipper City Brewing Company, Baltimore, Maryland. I got the 22 oz bomber at Total Wine. It was pricey, about $7, but worth it. A dark barleywine style ale with a very full flavor, smooth and easy drinking. It's 10% ABV, so, at 22 oz, don't drink this if you're planning on doing much other than sitting back on the couch and watching your latest netflix movie. Thebeercircle.com didn't think as much of the flavor as I did, but I'm a relative novice at the craft beer game, so, since I liked the flavor of this beer so much, I guess I've got much mo-better to look forward to as I keep chugging my way through life...

PS: click the link and see the bottle label. That label is almost worth buying the beer for, all by itself. But make sure you drink the beer, too...
    Heavy Seas makes good beers- Small Craft Warning, Loose Cannon, Red Sky at Night are some good ones. I also had a 22oz bomber of their holiday seasonal which was a really strong and wonderful Belgian Golden Ale.

SBnation and the fate of Ymm,beer?

While I largely lurk on the actual basketball/football board (I am an avid reader of all opinions DBR ;-), I do quite enjoy the Ymm,beer thread.

I'm not aware of an active "beer community" board that offers a similar format to DBR- there is ratebeer, beer advocate, etc but those feel pretty impersonal and "much larger audience" than DBR.

Plus, the big benefit is the Duke fandom commonality that makes the overall dialog (movies, beer, basketball, etc) much more enjoyable.

Until the changes hit, I can't say how this or other off topic threads might evolve, but I do want to keep the "Duke beer community alive".

Anyone have any ideas? Are my concerns unfounded?

While I largely lurk on the actual basketball/football board (I am an avid reader of all opinions DBR ;-), I do quite enjoy the Ymm,beer thread.

I'm not aware of an active "beer community" board that offers a similar format to DBR- there is ratebeer, beer advocate, etc but those feel pretty impersonal and "much larger audience" than DBR.

Plus, the big benefit is the Duke fandom commonality that makes the overall dialog (movies, beer, basketball, etc) much more enjoyable.

Until the changes hit, I can't say how this or other off topic threads might evolve, but I do want to keep the "Duke beer community alive".

Anyone have any ideas? Are my concerns unfounded?
    No ideas here but I concur and hope your concerns are unfounded. Guess we'll have to go to Tylers and Bottle Revolution if Ymm, Beer becomes extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post

Heavy Seas makes good beers- Small Craft Warning, Loose Cannon, Red Sky at Night are some good ones. I also had a 22oz bomber of their holiday seasonal which was a really strong and wonderful Belgian Golden Ale.
    There should be some reviews here from 2011-12 when I first sampled Clipper City brews pretty regularly. Haven't had many recently as I have tasted most of what they brewed over those two years or so. I agree with fuse that they make good products, both session brews and their Heavy Seas/Mutiny Fleet series. Prices are generally reasonable for their bombers, too, even at $6-8. As a matter of fact, I bought a Holy Sheet last week which is their abbey/dubbel ale, but this one has been aged in brandy barrels. Soooooo, with dakekay's reminder review above, I think I'll sip half that bomber tonight and finish it Thursday. I finished my bomber of New Belgium Transatlantique Kriek last PM so review tonight.

Dogfish Head Festina Peche!!!!

My loving wife picked up my summer case of Festina Peche yesterday.
    Can't wait to crack one tonight.
    I have a new keychain bottle opener (Corter Bottlehook) to christen, so the timing is great.

My Festina Peche review is upthread.
    Berliner Weisse is a rare / relatively extinct beer style.

Tyler's in Apex has had The Bruery Hottenroth on tap for a few weeks now - an unflavoured Berliner Weisse (Festina Peche is flavoured with peach if it was not obvious).
    I've never had a "straight" Berliner Weisse.

If you don't like sour beers, you won't like Hottenroth but it is a winner in my book. Super low alcohol, too at 3%. Perfect summer beer.

My loving wife picked up my summer case of Festina Peche yesterday.
    Can't wait to crack one tonight.
    I have a new keychain bottle opener (Corter Bottlehook) to christen, so the timing is great.

My Festina Peche review is upthread.
    Berliner Weisse is a rare / relatively extinct beer style.

Tyler's in Apex has had The Bruery Hottenroth on tap for a few weeks now - an unflavoured Berliner Weisse (Festina Peche is flavoured with peach if it was not obvious).
    I've never had a "straight" Berliner Weisse.

If you don't like sour beers, you won't like Hottenroth but it is a winner in my book. Super low alcohol, too at 3%. Perfect summer beer.
    3% ABV?! Sure it's not an AB product?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    3% ABV?! Sure it's not an AB product?
    In spite of my predilection for writing high ABV reviews, I enjoy session beers also :-)

Festina Peche at 4.5% and Bruery Hottenroth at 3.1 are beers I could literally drink all day.

Probably a neat subject for a post- best low ABV beers (under 5%?).

Amstel Light -3.5%
    Sam Adams Light - 4%
    Miller Lite - 4.2%
    Guinness - 4.3%
    Pilsner Urquell -4.4%
    Yuengling -4.4%
    New Belgium Mothership Wit - 4.8%
    Anchor Steam - 4.9%
    Sam Adams Boston Lager - 4.9%

I used
    http://www.efficientdrinker.com/beer...ories-abv.html

As my source. Pretty interesting data on that website.

There were some Abita beers I omitted from my list as well as New Belgium Skinny Dip.
    What are your low ABV favorites?

Ozzie and I will chime in with AB oriducts Bud Lt. and Bud Lt. Lime Will enjoy some tomorrow fishing the N. Anna river on my 51st bday Then the wife and I are going to two craft breweries before dinner!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Ozzie and I will chime in with AB oriducts Bud Lt. and Bud Lt. Lime Will enjoy some tomorrow fishing the N. Anna river on my 51st bday Then the wife and I are going to two craft breweries before dinner!!
    Remember, Chuck, this is the Ymm, Beer thread.

The two craft breweries sound tasty.

In spite of my predilection for writing high ABV reviews, I enjoy session beers also :-)

Festina Peche at 4.5% and Bruery Hottenroth at 3.1 are beers I could literally drink all day.

Amstel Light -3.5%
    Sam Adams Light - 4%
    Miller Lite - 4.2%
    Guinness - 4.3%
    Pilsner Urquell -4.4%
    Yuengling -4.4%
    Anchor Steam - 4.9%

I used

There were some Abita beers I omitted from my list as well as New Belgium Skinny Dip.
    I think I could go along with Pilsner Urquell, Mothership, Anchor Steam and the SA, only after I drank the other 10 beers in their damned mixed 12 pack samplers that should NOT include the lager, especially in the fall/winter samplers. I'd also add Stella, but only the canned or draft versions.

Transatlantique Kriek-New Belgium

Another concoction from their Lips of Faith (LoF) series. I'll let their marketing department 'splain this brew to you and then add my tasting comments:

"In a never-ending quest to create new beers and defy category, New Belgium Brewing and Brewerij Boon of Belgium have partnered together again to create Transatlantique Kriek - a spontaneously fermented lambic ale made with Polish cherries.

This authentic kriek beer began life in the oaken vessels at Frank Boon's brewery in the Lembeek region of Belgium. After more than two years aging, Boon's offering shipped across the Atlantic and found its way to the intuitive palate of New Belgium's Brewmaster Peter Bouckaert. After much sampling and internal consultation, Peter and his brew staff created a full-bodied golden lager to round out the light-bodied kriek.

The cherry nose gives way to a pleasingly sour flash across the palate that rolls gently into a slightly sweet finish. Crisp, effervescent carbonation keeps the mouthfeel bright and delightfully tingly."

My thoughts:

Cherry champagne! Poured a clear, bright cherry soda (not black cherry) red with a small pink head. Very attractive appearance. Immediate olfactory sensations of kids cough syrup with a light garden bouquet. No medicinal tastes though as the sour cherry flavors came forward prominently with floral and very light honey-like qualities, too. I was surprised at its light body and effervescence, but, after reading the description of its origin/creation with the lager "base," the easy drinkability is not that surprising. IBU is a stunningly low 8 (no digits omitted) and the ABV of 8% is very sneaky and, a bit high for this style, and hidden well. I split this ~$8 bomber over two nights and would find it very pleasant as a pre-dinner ale with a plate of fresh fruit.

beer_27227.jpg

(old label)

Maybe we can play a different game with that website- points for anyone who can find the obscure referenced beers at that site:

Some examples include:

Strauss Endless Summer Light
    Aspen Edge
    Harbin
    Cusque
    Lech
    Tuborg Deluxe Dark Export
    Tyskie
    Mickey's Ice

Pictures or it didn't happen!
    I suspect at least a couple of these are no longer products(I faintly remember Aspen Edge as a Coors product, never had it).

Maybe we can play a different game with that website- points for anyone who can find the obscure referenced beers at that site:

Some examples include:

Strauss Endless Summer Light
    Aspen Edge
    Harbin
    Cusque
    Lech
    Tuborg Deluxe Dark Export
    Tyskie
    Mickey's Ice

Pictures or it didn't happen!
    I suspect at least a couple of these are no longer products(I faintly remember Aspen Edge as a Coors product, never had it).
    I found the first one:

beer_48453.jpg

(Do I actually have to go to California, buy a single or 6er and return it to NC or, if I do indeed locate one, may I drink it there?

BTW, this gem earned a 15 on the ratebeer site so I'm not sure I'd drink one even if I saw it available for sale.

Transatlantique Kriek-New Belgium

Another concoction from their Lips of Faith (LoF) series. I'll let their marketing department 'splain this brew to you and then add my tasting comments:

"In a never-ending quest to create new beers and defy category, New Belgium Brewing and Brewerij Boon of Belgium have partnered together again to create Transatlantique Kriek - a spontaneously fermented lambic ale made with Polish cherries.

This authentic kriek beer began life in the oaken vessels at Frank Boon's brewery in the Lembeek region of Belgium. After more than two years aging, Boon's offering shipped across the Atlantic and found its way to the intuitive palate of New Belgium's Brewmaster Peter Bouckaert. After much sampling and internal consultation, Peter and his brew staff created a full-bodied golden lager to round out the light-bodied kriek.

The cherry nose gives way to a pleasingly sour flash across the palate that rolls gently into a slightly sweet finish. Crisp, effervescent carbonation keeps the mouthfeel bright and delightfully tingly."

My thoughts:

Cherry champagne! Poured a clear, bright cherry soda (not black cherry) red with a small pink head. Very attractive appearance. Immediate olfactory sensations of kids cough syrup with a light garden bouquet. No medicinal tastes though as the sour cherry flavors came forward prominently with floral and very light honey-like qualities, too. I was surprised at its light body and effervescence, but, after reading the description of its origin/creation with the lager "base," the easy drinkability is not that surprising. IBU is a stunningly low 8 (no digits omitted) and the ABV of 8% is very sneaky and, a bit high for this style, and hidden well. I split this ~$8 bomber over two nights and would find it very pleasant as a pre-dinner ale with a plate of fresh fruit.

beer_27227.jpg

(old label)
    I tried this a few years ago. If memory serves, I recall it being a bit thin and weak, lacking the cherry flavour I experienced with other krieks. A good beer but not a traditional kriek by any means.

I found the first one:

beer_48453.jpg

(Do I actually have to go to California, buy a single or 6er and return it to NC or, if I do indeed locate one, may I drink it there?

BTW, this gem earned a 15 on the ratebeer site so I'm not sure I'd drink one even if I saw it available for sale.
    I guess I need to clarify the rules. ;-)
    Picture of you drinking it or holding it in the store ;-p

I tried this a few years ago. If memory serves, I recall it being a bit thin and weak, lacking the cherry flavour I experienced with other krieks. A good beer but not a traditional kriek by any means.
    It definitely had the cherry flavor, but, the combination of the typical/traditional lambic with the lager did make it a bit "thin." Your memory serves you well.

Amstel Light -3.5%
    Sam Adams Light - 4%
    Miller Lite - 4.2%
    Guinness - 4.3%
    Pilsner Urquell -4.4%
    Yuengling -4.4%
    Anchor Steam - 4.9%

I used

I go with 1) Guinness, 2) Sam Adams Lager, 3) Yuengling. Here in the Philly area, Yuengling is easily found and often dirt cheap if one needs a good beer but finds his funds depleted after a binge with the Trappists and other high-end brews...

Shane Battier- Bud Light post game

This might even qualify as an on topic post, but the front page article with the Battier Bud Light youtube video is quite funny.

What does one do with 1100 cases of Bud Light?