Page 193 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 931431831911921931941952032432936931193 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Top Ten IPAs

Some thoughts trying to keep the definition narrow, excluding DIPAs, Black IPAs, etc.

4. Lagunitas IPA
    3. Bell's Two Hearted
    2. Dogfish Head 60 minute
    1. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Harder than it looks - Mother Earth Sisters of the Moon is a pale ale, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Bell's Hopslam are DIPAs, lots of good black IPAs to consider also. Stone makes a lot of great big IPAs also.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Fuse and DD, I should have some samples available this weekend should either of you be around Sunday. My brewer has conditioned his latest brew and said it's now ready for tasting. I'll also bring my latest brew for your enjoyment. I'll be at Lake Gaston from Sat nite til Monday morning, so I could make a quick trip to Cary/Raleigh midday Sunday if someone's around.
    Did you guys settle on a location / time? Back in town earlier than anticipated.

Unfortunately my weekend plans have changed and I will not make it down there today. Perhaps Thursday, maybe we could meet on campus or I could make it down to Raleigh, unsure of schedule at this point. All enjoy the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Some thoughts trying to keep the definition narrow, excluding DIPAs, Black IPAs, etc.

4. Lagunitas IPA
    3. Bell's Two Hearted
    2. Dogfish Head 60 minute
    1. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Harder than it looks - Mother Earth Sisters of the Moon is a pale ale, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Bell's Hopslam are DIPAs, lots of good black IPAs to consider also. Stone makes a lot of great big IPAs also.
    I'd include Torpedo on the list as it is labeled as an IPA with an ABV of 7.2% and IBU of 65. SN PA drinks like an IPA but technically is a PA and the stats would support that with an ABV of 5.6% and IBU of 38, though both values taste higher than that. Stone IPA would qualify with an ABV of 6.9 and IBU at 77, though that's getting into DIPA territory. The Ruination IPA is really an IIPA with an ABV of 7.7%, slightly shy of where I "think" of DIPAs starting, but the IBU are listed at 100+. Now that's some serious hoppiness.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Unfortunately my weekend plans have changed and I will not make it down there today. Perhaps Thursday, maybe we could meet on campus or I could make it down to Raleigh, unsure of schedule at this point. All enjoy the weekend.
    We'll miss you, Chuck. We are headed over to Carrboro to our daughter and son-in-law's for our Memorial Day celebration right now and I just procured a 12 pack of a Highland Brewing medley to continue my brainwashing, err, edjumacation of various family members on the finer brews in life.

St. Terese's Pale Ale-Highland Brewing

Drink local! Well, sort of as the brewery is in Asheville. This was one of five different brews in an oddly divided 12 pack medley from these folks who are a wee bit different according to their box and/or web site.

Poured a clear golden with a bit of flowers and pine in the nose and palate, blended nicely with light bready, caramel maltiness. Weighing in with IBU of 24 and ABV of 5.1%, it made a nice six ounce sample with seven layer dip and conversation pre-cookout tonight.

beer_7535.jpg

Gaelic Ale-Highland Brewing

Drink local #2!

Poured a bit darker than the pale ale I just reviewed, so it was a medium amber and had a bit more piney nose and palate with a bit more caramel maltiness as the IBU were a bit stiffer at 30 and the ABV likewise at 5.6% Technically, it's an amber ale, I guess, but is kind of a blend between that and a Scottish style ale with a hint of smokiness in the aromas and tastes. Solid brew to accompany the pasta and fruit salads, burgers and Hawaiian teriyaki chicken. Another six ounce sample shared with family. I also had a 12 ounce bottle of this about mid-week during an after hours office meeting.

beer_7533.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The parties involved in this nonsense really need to take a hint from this:

From the Avery Brewing Company website:

"Salvation. The name of two intricate Belgian-style ales, created by us, Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing and Adam Avery of Avery Brewing.

After becoming friends a few years ago, we realized we both had a Salvation in our lineups. Was it going to be a problem? Should one of us relinquish the name rights? “Hell, no!” we said. In fact, it was quickly decided that we should blend the brews to catch the best qualities of each and create an even more complex and rich libation. In April 2004, in a top secret meeting at Russian River Brewing (well, actually it was packed in the pub and many were looking over our shoulders wondering what the hell was going on), we came up with the perfect blend of the two Salvations.

Natalie, Vinnie’s much more significant other, exclaimed, “We should call this Collaboration, not Litigation Ale!” “Perfect,” we shouted! We celebrated deep into the night (or is that morning?). Fast forward to November 14, 2006. After talking about it for over two years, we finally decided to pull the trigger and Vinnie made the journey to Avery Brewing to brew his Salvation exactly as he does in his brewery."

Gaelic Ale-Highland Brewing

Drink local #2!

Poured a bit darker than the pale ale I just reviewed, so it was a medium amber and had a bit more piney nose and palate with a bit more caramel maltiness as the IBU were a bit stiffer at 30 and the ABV likewise at 5.6% Technically, it's an amber ale, I guess, but is kind of a blend between that and a Scottish style ale with a hint of smokiness in the aromas and tastes. Solid brew to accompany the pasta and fruit salads, burgers and Hawaiian teriyaki chicken. Another six ounce sample shared with family. I also had a 12 ounce bottle of this about mid-week during an after hours office meeting.

beer_7533.jpg

Devildeac,

Saw the Highland suggestions and was wondering about your thoughts on the Highland Kashmir Double IPA. My practice partner recommended it as the perfect end to a long day at work. Haven't gotten to the store to pick it up yet, but it's made the to-do list!

"Salvation. The name of two intricate Belgian-style ales, created by us, Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing and Adam Avery of Avery Brewing.

After becoming friends a few years ago, we realized we both had a Salvation in our lineups. Was it going to be a problem? Should one of us relinquish the name rights? “Hell, no!” we said. In fact, it was quickly decided that we should blend the brews to catch the best qualities of each and create an even more complex and rich libation. In April 2004, in a top secret meeting at Russian River Brewing (well, actually it was packed in the pub and many were looking over our shoulders wondering what the hell was going on), we came up with the perfect blend of the two Salvations.

Natalie, Vinnie’s much more significant other, exclaimed, “We should call this Collaboration, not Litigation Ale!” “Perfect,” we shouted! We celebrated deep into the night (or is that morning?). Fast forward to November 14, 2006. After talking about it for over two years, we finally decided to pull the trigger and Vinnie made the journey to Avery Brewing to brew his Salvation exactly as he does in his brewery."
    Their final "solution" (pun intended):

beer_68829.jpg

Next up, a brand new seasonal from New Belgium Brewing. Read about a little bit of history here:

http://www.stephenwbrowne.com/2011/06/rolle-bolle/

And here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...rollebolle.htm

My under informed opinion is that Magic Hat is in the right in this case. Poor planning and research ( or maybe not) by the other brewery.

Next up, a brand new seasonal from New Belgium Brewing. Read about a little bit of history here:

And here:

Looking forward to trying this. Been meaning to buy it but have not seen it since Bottle Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Devildeac,

Saw the Highland suggestions and was wondering about your thoughts on the Highland Kashmir Double IPA. My practice partner recommended it as the perfect end to a long day at work. Haven't gotten to the store to pick it up yet, but it's made the to-do list!
    Don't think I've ever seen the DIPA but split a bottle of the regular Kashmir IPA last PM with a son-in-law. Review to follow. I'll wait for your review of the DIPA and then head out to buy a bomber. I'd guess it to be about 80 IBU (pretty hoppy/bitter) but >8% ABV so it should be a fairly well-balanced brew. A 22 ounce bottle makes it ideal for sharing, or drinking half one night and "corking" it so you can finish the next night. Or, if your day was particularly long and stressful, polishing it all off in one night but taking a couple hours to complete the task. Hint: Don't stray too far from the bedroom if you've made up your mind to finish it in one sitting. Don't think I've ever had any of the Highland brews I didn't like. They don't make a large variety but, according the the Aviator Brewing tour I took recently with the same SIL mentioned above, Highland is the largest craft brewery in NC. Aviator is increasing their capacity and hopes to rival Highland in the next year or two.

Don't think I've ever seen the DIPA but split a bottle of the regular Kashmir IPA last PM with a son-in-law. Review to follow. I'll wait for your review of the DIPA and then head out to buy a bomber. I'd guess it to be about 80 IBU (pretty hoppy/bitter) but >8% ABV so it should be a fairly well-balanced brew. A 22 ounce bottle makes it ideal for sharing, or drinking half one night and "corking" it so you can finish the next night. Or, if your day was particularly long and stressful, polishing it all off in one night but taking a couple hours to complete the task. Hint: Don't stray too far from the bedroom if you've made up your mind to finish it in one sitting. Don't think I've ever had any of the Highland brews I didn't like. They don't make a large variety but, according the the Aviator Brewing tour I took recently with the same SIL mentioned above, Highland is the largest craft brewery in NC. Aviator is increasing their capacity and hopes to rival Highland in the next year or two.
    I'm going to have to be a bit more open minded about Highland. I've never had a bad beer from Highland but I don't think I've ever had one I'd consider great. I think Highland makes better beer than CBC ( Carolina Brewing Company) but that is about where they fall in my mental map.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'm going to have to be a bit more open minded about Highland. I've never had a bad beer from Highland but I don't think I've ever had one I'd consider great. I think Highland makes better beer than CBC ( Carolina Brewing Company) but that is about where they fall in my mental map.
    Considering the beers we often drink and review, I can understand that. They make good session brews w/o very many specialty/seasonal/high gravity ales except their winter brew, Tasgall and the DIPA. I purchased the Highland 12 pack yesterday instead of the SA/Saranac/Mendocino/Magic Hat/Brooklyn or whatever else was available because, like you, I like to "drink local" and it was a good way to introduce/broaden the horizons of fine craft ales to my daughter and two sons-in law last PM at our cookout. I had 5 leftovers (one of each variety) and they'll go to my son in WS next weekend when we see him. If I had bought a buncha 6ers and just drank one of each, I'd have a crapton of leftovers to add to my ever-growing beer cellar. Or, I could pay single prices for the ones I wanted to try/share.

Kashmir IPA-Highland Brewing

Drink local #3!

This won't make anybody's top 10 list as we have discussed above but it is a solid "local" brew and a nice one for the style. Five grains (including wheat-more below) and five hop varieties make this a pretty well-balanced brew. Once again, shared with a son-in-law, this poured a clear/clean golden color with the obligatory aromas of citrus and pine and tastes to match, along with the expected light to medium caramel grainy sweetness. The wheat tilts the scale slightly form the piney/resiney side to the citrus ledger with hints of orange/zest. At 60 IBU and 6% ABV, it paired well with our Hawaiian teriyaki chicken and burgers off the grill.

beer_7536.jpg

And here:

Rolle Bolle-New Belgium Brewing

I've had a tough time with this one. Eagerly anticipated and a potential replacement for Dig (I think), I find myself on both sides of the fence with its tastes. I had also been on antibiotics (with a funny taste in my mouth) for several days while sampling this twice. Poured a light straw color with scents of lemon grass and slightly underripe melons with tastes of the same along with peach, mango and unoaked white wine. Made me think there were Nelson Sauvin hops in the brew, too, but they are not. The really interesting thing about this seasonal ale is the use of Monk fruit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siraitia_grosvenorii) and soursop (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soursop) in the brewing process. Who do these folks think they are, Dogfish Head Brewing who will put almost anything in their brews ? There were also very interesting sweet and sour tastes competing here and not in a bad way either. Refreshing, with low bitterness (IBU=30), and not overpowering (ABV=5.2%), this is worth a 12 ounce bottle or pint to try with some lighter summer entrees, but I don't think it will become their staple beer or one of your favorite warm weather brews.

20130525115117_RolleBolle1_f07b7a18efbe9510dda6d4c6181cd5a4.jpg

Oatmeal Porter-Highland Brewing

Local ale #4!

Poured a deep mahogany with a creamy tan head. Very nice cocoa with a hint of coffee in the nose with the same tastes and a slight bite of hops at the end. The flaked oatmeal as one of the grains gives this brew a rather smooth, silky feel on your tongue. IBU of 35 so we are going down in the IBU as the evening progressed with an ABV of 5.9%. The bitterness went down but the color intensified so this was my burger brew.

beer_7534.jpg