Page 172 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 721221621701711721731741822222726721172 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Belgian Pale Ale-Saranac (Matt) Brewing Company

From the 12 Beers of Winter sampler comes this palatable offering. Poured a medium straw color with mild floral aromas and tastes of caramel and tart apples with a hint of pepper from the Belgian yeast. IBU at 28 and ABV clocks in at 5.4%. Best served with chicken or fish dishes or light to medium bodied cheeses. The Ommegang BPA is certainly a better brew but I got this 12 pack (2 each of 6 different brews) for $12 which was $6 off the original price, so it was difficult to resist. Six to drink and six to trade/share. The Caramel Porter is NOT included. You have to buy that 6er separately. This is another way to try several different styles of brews without serious damage to your wallet.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Up next-Big Moose Ale:

beer_111213.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Up next-Big Moose Ale:

beer_111213.jpg

Not to be confused with:

beer_5554.jpg

Picked up three of the special Sam Adams bottles today, stoked for the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Picked up three of the special Sam Adams bottles today, stoked for the weekend!
    Which ones? They have a lot of "special" beers.

Which ones? They have a lot of "special" beers.
    1. Thirteenth Hour
    2. Stony Brook Red
    3. New World.

Thoughts?

1. Thirteenth Hour
    2. Stony Brook Red
    3. New World.

Thoughts?
    I'm 0/3 there. Have not had any of them. Depending on you for reviews as you sip them.

I'm 0/3 there. Have not had any of them. Depending on you for reviews as you sip them.
    Will do. They are all in pint bottles, with a Belgian-style cork lock on top.

Highlands Cold Mountain

I have heard nothing but raves about this beer.

Pours a translucent copper, with a single finger white head.

Nose is a rich malt.
    I can see why this beer gets such high acclaim.

It is smooth like liquid glass up front, a very mellow sweetness that finishes with overtones of cinnamon.
    Mid palate there may be some orange peel flavour.

Winter seasonals are so interesting, and so many brewers make winter seasonals it is hard to sample them all.
    I'm going to find a spot on my list to seek this out in future years.

Excellent beer- find it and buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    So is anyone going to try to buy some of these tomorrow?
    http://121212xii.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/hello-world/
    Only 4 stores in MA and none are close enough to my work or home to try. I got to taste this a few years ago and it was really good but not sure it was that much better than a few other quads like Rochefort or St.. Bernardus. If someone wants to buy a box and send me a bottle or 6 though, I will gladly accept : )
    No luck with a small specialty shop or at Total Wine so you can save your $ and won't have to make a trip to NC to pick yours up from my house or at a Brunchgate. Danged clerk at TW referred to us as a buncha beer geeks cuz we heard about this kind of release and bought it all up early.

No luck with a small specialty shop or at Total Wine so you can save your $ and won't have to make a trip to NC to pick yours up from my house or at a Brunchgate. Danged clerk at TW referred to us as a buncha beer geeks cuz we heard about this kind of release and bought it all up early.
    I'll need to come up with another excuse to come down for brunch gate. People were lined up for hours up here in near freezing temps to buy. I was not one of those crazies but my generous bro in law was so I have a bottle heading my way

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    I'll need to come up with another excuse to come down for brunch gate. People were lined up for hours up here in near freezing temps to buy. I was not one of those crazies but my generous bro in law was so I have a bottle heading my way
    A patient of mine today told me a friend of his spent the $85 on a "brick"/6er of the Westvleteren and moaned about the cost. I told him I'd buy 1/2/3 from him if he wished to recover some of his cash. I'd even take one of the glasses off his hands.

Big Moose Ale-Saranac/Matt Brewing

An American pale ale. Poured a pale yellow-orange with very light citrus and pine notes and a modest caramel malty spine. Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo hops with pale and caramel malts for a nicely balanced brew. I'd guess IBU about 30 and ABV listed at 5.3% so a good pairing with steaks, pork loin, chicken or turkey. I like Schlafly's APA better but for $1 a bottle, this 12 bottle sampler is a fine way to sample 6 different styles of brews and enjoy a second one if you like the style or trade it if not to your liking. No "drool" either.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, North Coast Brewing Co.

Very round, side of the tongue and roof of mouth stout. 9% Alcohol volume. Coffee, chocolate, bitters, maybe a yeasty underbelly. Big and bold. Yum.

(Okay, not sure how to link iPad photo in correct alignment)

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 12-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, North Coast Brewing Co.

Very round, side of the tongue and roof of mouth stout. 9% Alcohol volume. Coffee, chocolate, bitters, maybe a yeasty underbelly. Big and bold. Yum.

(Okay, not sure how to link iPad photo in correct alignment)

image.jpgimage.jpg
    I'll guess that the upright photo is beer #1, the sideways photos represent beer #2 and the upside down one is #3 with the fourth one from the four pack being held in reserve until you regain consciousness.

Well done. This is an excellent RIS.

For entertainment purposes

would be fun to attend, just might need extra pain-killers
    http://www.hopunion.com/30_AlphaKing...ge.cfm?p8=open

Also, two new craft breweries have opened in our area; Hardywood and Center of the Universe (COTU). One is near downtown Richmond, the other near Ashland (just north of the city) right off the interstate (95). Just in case you're traveling this way during the holidays!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    would be fun to attend, just might need extra pain-killers
    http://www.hopunion.com/30_AlphaKing...ge.cfm?p8=open
    No pain killers needed. That level of hoppiness will sear your taste buds and that level of alcohol will numb the pain. You've come a long way, baby, since your budlite days.

Red IPA-Saranac/Matt Brewing

Just as the name implies, this merges a couple styles with moderate amounts of 2 row, dark crystal and Munich malts with Chinook, Calypso, Palisade and Delta hops, three of which I am not familiar with. Moderate bitterness with an IBU of 63 so on target for the IPA criteria and mild caramel sweetness with an ABV of 6%, which is also pretty much in line for an IPA but a bit high for a red ale. Pair with curry, spicy Chinese food or grilled fare. There are better IPAs, but again, this sampler is a nice way to try some brews with a bit of a different twist.

beer_191024.jpg

From 11/19/2011 and also the 4th beer from the Saranac 12 Beers of Winter sampler:

Chocolate Lager-Saranac Brewing (well, it's really Matt Brewing contract stuff for Saranac)

This is really quite a good beer. Of course, I think they stole the idea from Sam Adams and their chocolate bock from several years ago, now available in 12 ounce bottles instead of 750 ml big boys. This is an amber colored lager with some mild caramel malt flavors, floral and very mildly bitter German hops and cocoa nibs from Belize. I'd guess the IBU about 20 and the ABV is listed at 6% so it was a fine opening brew shared with CB&B and accompanied by a bagel and chocolate chip cookies for Brunchgate this AM .

Brewer's notes:

Saranac Chocolate Lager is a sinfully delicious deep amber lager made with certified organic cacao from Belize. Our brewers looked far and wide for the highest quality cacao to create a smooth chocolaty taste that only comes from the most exclusive cacao plants. We used the roasted seeds of these decadent plants and perfectly paired them with caramel malt and German Hallertau hops to create a malty chocolate sweet flavor. You'll love savoring this beer with your favorite holiday foods or on its own for a delicious treat!

Beer Style: Chocolate Bock
    Malt Selections: Munich, Aromatic
    Hop Selections: Hallertau
    Color: Dark Amber
    Mouthfeel / Body: Full, Sweet
    Food Companions: Dark Chocolate, Truffles, Hearty & Full Holiday Foods
    Alcohol By Volume: 6.0%
    Original Gravity: 15