Page 169 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 691191591671681691701711792192696691169 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Yakima Glory née Yakima Twilight

I searched the thread and the only reference to Victory Yakima Twilight ( now Yakima Glory, I fault the movies/ books for the second year name change ) was my review of Olde Hickory Black Raven Black IPA. How's that for a circular reference?

Yakima Twilight was the first black IPA I ever had, and what a glorious experience it was (see what I did there?)!

I enjoy a good stout, and a good IPA, and this is really the best of both worlds.
    Yakima Glory has a wonderful roasty nose with a hint of hoppy freshness.

Inky black in the glass, with a coffee head that lingers.

Up front and mid palate this is an outstanding IPA, but the deep, roasty dry finish at the end is a huge ending.

Black IPAs are a relatively new style, and a lot of fun. This is among my favorites and highly, highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Celebration (Fresh Hop) Ale-Sierra Nevada

I do believe they have toned this one down since the last time I had it several years ago. Two malts (two row pale and English caramel) and three hops (Cascade, Centennial and Chinook) make this winter IPA a fairly balanced brew with mild sweetness and piney and citrus notes. This always made me think of Hop Devil which I also stopped buying years ago due to the over-powering hop attack on the palate. I found this quite enjoyable and smooth. It would make a nice match with hot/spicy dishes. Pour was a yellow-golden with a generous foamy head. IBU is listed at 65 and the ABV is 6.8%, both pretty standard for an IPA. Definitely worth a trader or a 6er to share.

Attachment 2947
    Another outstanding seasonal from Sierra Nevada. I had one tonight with a spicy sausage over pasta. So tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I searched the thread and the only reference to Victory Yakima Twilight ( now Yakima Glory, I fault the movies/ books for the second year name change ) was my review of Olde Hickory Black Raven Black IPA. How's that for a circular reference?

Yakima Twilight was the first black IPA I ever had, and what a glorious experience it was (see what I did there?)!

I enjoy a good stout, and a good IPA, and this is really the best of both worlds.
    Yakima Glory has a wonderful roasty nose with a hint of hoppy freshness.

Inky black in the glass, with a coffee head that lingers.

Up front and mid palate this is an outstanding IPA, but the deep, roasty dry finish at the end is a huge ending.

Black IPAs are a relatively new style, and a lot of fun. This is among my favorites and highly, highly recommended!
    Thought this sounded familiar and that's not just crazietalk

From 11/17/2010:

Yakima Glory-Victory Brewing

I thought I had tasted this ale before, especially looking it up on their website and seeing it was formerly called Yakima Twilight. I'm not sure I have ever sampled it now. I'm not sure whether this is a dark IIPA or a slightly lighter old ale. The 4 hops (not specified) are from the Yakima Valley in Washington and impart mostly strong floral aromas and tastes. The dark, roasted malts (probably mostly chocolate malts) lend a dark brown sugar and dried, dark fruit presence with a mediumn to dark brown color. The balance is well done. I'd estimate IBU in the 60-70 range and the ABV is 8.7%. This was a draft brew so the mouth-feel was almost silky with a modest head. I had this with a chicken cordon bleu sandwich and the non-garlic fries at Tyler's before the MBB game last PM and it started the evening well. Try a pint or a 12 ounce bottle if you can find one.

Good choice there, fuse.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Another brewery in the Triangle is making a buzz, and one of their beers I've been wanting to try since they opened is their Cinnamon Porter.

I don't know when it got the name Forgotten Hollow, but Roth has some pretty awesome names for their beers- Sex Viking (a Dunkel weizen) and Foehammer (a barleywine). A 750ml Roth Foehammer retails for about $30- until I hear someone tell me it's worth it, I will hold off.

Forgotten Hollow pours a dark, impenetrable black with a thick, rich coffee colored head.
    The nose is a roasty cinnamon bun smell.

The flavour of his beer is almost indescribable it is so unusual. Cinnamon is definitely the dominant flavour. There is a hint of sweetness. 22oz is going to be a lot for a single serving.
    The closest analogy I can make for this beer might be an iced cinnamon coffee.
    At 6%, the alcohol is well hidden.

I think my excitement to try this beer may have made it difficult to live up to expectations.
    I have another bottle I'll save for later this winter.

Stylistically, this beer stands alone- I'm not sure tasting blind if I would have been able to tell it was a dark beer the cinnamon is so dominant. I've never heard of a sweet porter but I wonder if the base of this beer is more like a sweet stout.

A good dessert coffee alternative- I struggle with what foods might pair well with this beer. Maybe a really mild creamy cheese or with a complimentary dessert.

Worth seeking out and trying. I'm undecided if I would buy another but Roth does impress with their quality.
    Enjoy,
    Buffalo Brothers has this on draft based on a phone call one of the nurses I work with made today to their restaurant about 2 blocks from Rex Hospital. I may have to violate an unwritten rule and have one on the way home from work tomorrow.

Stone Enjoy by IPA..Stone has done 3 runs of their new double IPA which they designed to drink fresh before the hops begin to fade. The latest batch (Enjoy by 12/21/12) made it from the bottle line to my belly in 4 days, so it sure was fresh. Pours a straw yellow with no head. Taste was very heavy on the earthy, piney hops with a fair amount of bitterness. A bit pungent and dry with less malt balance compared to other similar IPAs. Its not quite as bitter as Ruination but definitely along the same lines. I enjoyed it and would buy again if i saw it fresh but wouldn't go out of my way to hunt it down..

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Stone Enjoy by IPA..Stone has done 3 runs of their new double IPA which they designed to drink fresh before the hops begin to fade. The latest batch (Enjoy by 12/21/12) made it from the bottle line to my belly in 4 days, so it sure was fresh. Pours a straw yellow with no head. Taste was very heavy on the earthy, piney hops with a fair amount of bitterness. A bit pungent and dry with less malt balance compared to other similar IPAs. Its not quite as bitter as Ruination but definitely along the same lines. I enjoyed it and would buy again if i saw it fresh but wouldn't go out of my way to hunt it down..
    I've been looking out for this and have not seen any of it show up in the Triangle.
    Glad to hear it is good but maybe I am not missing anything.

Hoppyum (draft)-Foothills Brewing

If you like hops, you will love this brew. Loaded with pungent citrusy hops, mostly with grapefruit and grapefruit zest aromas and tastes from the Simcoe variety. Poured a clean, clear orange-yellow in a pint glass and sipped with shrimp and grits with tomatoes, 'shrooms and a bit of spice for dinner Saturday night. Just about perfect blend of slightly sweet caramel malts with an ABV of 6.2% to balance the IBU of 70, both fairly standard for an IPA. I'll still take a Bell's Two Hearted Ale on draft but if you are in NC, this is an excellent offering.

Winterbraun-Lost Coast Brewing

I suspect this is their Downtown brown ale with a bit more malt and Saaz hops that they brew for the fall/winter seasons. Poured a clear brown with a nose of milk chocolate and dark caramel with a splash of decaf. Tastes align well with the aromas. Texture and head were creamy, bitterness was mild and ABV was a bit hefty at 8%. Serve with chili, brisket, ribs or lighter chocolate desserts.

button_Winterbraun.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Winterbraun-Lost Coast Brewing

I suspect this is their Downtown brown ale with a bit more malt and Saaz hops that they brew for the fall/winter seasons. Poured a clear brown with a nose of milk chocolate and dark caramel with a splash of decaf. Tastes align well with the aromas. Texture and head were creamy, bitterness was mild and ABV was a bit hefty at 8%. Serve with chili, brisket, ribs or lighter chocolate desserts.

button_Winterbraun.jpg
    Where did you buy this? I have a friend whose last name is Braun, this would make a fun gift.

Epic Big Bad Baptist Release #5

In honor of heading to my in-laws for Thanksgiving, we cracked open Epic's Imperial Stout, Big Bad Baptist.

11.2% ABV, brewed with cocoa nibs, coffee and whiskey barrel aged. Each release features a different coffee, and number 5 features Tanzanian Rimini coffee.

The nose is rich, earthy coffee.
    Umm, wow- I almost wish I had a cold Mother Earth Silent Night to drink alongside to compare.
    Silky smooth, liquid dark chocolate with a creamy vanilla finish.
    I raved about Bell's Double Cream Stout, but this is bliss in a glass.
    I may have a new favorite Imperial Stout.
    This beer definitely benefits from low/ no expectations. I did not have a preformed opinion.

Aftertaste in between sips is a rich coffee and an oaky dryness. Time between sips starts to reveal a bit of the booziness as well.

I am completely blown away by this beer. I'll be keeping my eye out for more #5 and an open mind about future Big Bad Baptist releases. This comes in a 22oz bomber- I'd recommend hiding your keys and being selfish.

Where did you buy this? I have a friend whose last name is Braun, this would make a fun gift.
    It was a trader from a drug rep from Wilmington who calls on the office every couple weeks or so. I think he makes a lot of his purchases from a specialty shop at the coast. I'd bet Bottle Revolution or Total Wine would stock it. That sounds like a good idea.

Old Man-Southern Tier Brewing

This is a very palatable winter ale that tastes like a cross between an IPA and an ESB. A bit of resinous hops combined with nutty, caramel flavors make this a fine brew to pair with hard cheeses, sausages and stews. I'd guess the IBU about 40-50 and the ABV weighs in at 7%. Poured an amber-orange with a smooth, creamy head. I received this as a trader last week from a drug rep who calls on the office. Not sure I'd buy a 6er but would be interesting to have another as part of a tasting session with other winter ales.

ind_bp_oldman.jpg

Oktoberfest-Brooklyn Brewing

Can't say I've ever had this before. Just too many Oktoberfests out there to try. This was a solid brew that my son left in the 'fridge after a gathering of some of his friends around our hot tub Wednesday evening. Kind of a rental fee, I guess. Poured a clear brown-amber with a hint of floral hops in the nose, little bitterness on the palate and a moderate amount of light to medium caramel tastes. I'd guess the IBU around 20 and the ABV is 5.5% so a fine session brew or fall football/Brunchgate starter. Of the several Oktoberfests I've had this year, I'd rank this slightly below the Sam Adams offering.

Highland 15th Anniversary Auld Asheville Ale

I found this kicking around in the back of the fridge, looking for an excuse to be opened.

I did not realize this was released in December 2009, so this beer has been very patient with me.

Pours a deep translucent brown.
    Very little head which dissipates quickly.
    Nose is very boozy, reminiscent of a barleywine- which at 9.5%, probably is not far off.
    Raisiny sweet nose.

This beer is mostly malt, very little bitterness.
    Not a bad beer, but nothing special.

2011 Olde Hickory Christmas Ale

Pours translucent light brown, vigorous head the disappears.

Nose is fresh pine.
    This spiced ale is full of orange a ginger flavours that dominate. Finish is all mild cinnamon.

A good compliment to day two Thanksgiving leftovers.

Expresso Stout-Laurelwood Brewhouse and Restaurant

My son brought this home from an interview trip from Portland, Oregon in January or February this year and today was the first day we had the opportunity to consume it so we divided the bomber five ways as one of our liquid desserts after our solid desserts after our one day late Thanksgiving dinner.

Poured a thin mahogany color with a small mocha head. Organic coffee added from one of the Portland roasters imparted a slightly burned flavor to accompany the unsweetened cocoa tastes. Left me thinking I should have added a splash of cream and a 1/2 tsp of sugar. I'd guess the IBU at 30-40 and the ABV about 6% as it was not an imperial stout and not boozey at all. Not one I'd seek out but certainly worth a sip or two and the effort he went through to find it and "smuggle" it back in his luggage. Made the second brew all that much better...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    DevildeacSyrup.jpg

Devildeac brought the syrup to our tailgate breakfast.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    DevildeacSyrup.jpg

Yea, and "you let the whole team down" by not grilling the pancakes and/or French toast.

On to the reviews...

Top Sail-Full Sail Brewing

Brewer's facts, figures and notes first:

"Top Sail Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Porter - Available February 2012

Brewed in January 2011, our Imperial Porter was carefully aged for a year in Kentucky Bourbon casks from Maker's Mark, Jim Beam and Austin Nichols. This aging amplifies our robust porter and brings out hints of chocolate, figs, vanilla and oak. Deep black in color, with a roasty malt flavor and a rich malt and vanilla sweetness that’s smooth and amazingly drinkable. A wonderful addition to any beer cellar. Limited availability in 22oz. bottles and draft. Available February 2012 Until it’s gone! ABV 9.5% IBUs: 40."

My story:

This brings to a close all the brews my son brought back from his interview trip to Portland this February and I am sad. I am grateful however for his selections and highly impressed with yet another brew from Full Sail. The "Dogfathers" (our nickname for our son and two sons-in law) and I shared this bomber as our final liquid dessert after our day late Thanksgiving meal on Friday afternoon. Quite an exquisite beverage. Stout-like black with little head, all the above flavors were released as we nursed and savored our 4-5 ounce samples each. The bourbon notes were prominent but not overwhelming and appeared at the end of the sips. Can't imagine how good this would be on draft. Hmm, I need to be planning a trip out there to visit my brother sometime early next year...

beer_83949.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    DevildeacSyrup.jpg

How was it? Have heard it is smoky.