Page 164 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 641141541621631641651661742142646641164 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    That's actually one of the things I loved about the Blind Pig. It's definitely a West Coast style IPA, but at 70 IBU it isn't over the top. A lot of thr local breweries are going for the outrageous IBUs (palate wrecker from Green Flash comes to mind), but I only like those on certain occasions.
    Green Flash is distributed on the East Coast and has been for several years. Really like their brews. I'll have to look for Palate Wrecker on my next trip out. Agreed that beers like that are not for regular consumption.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pumpkin-UFO-Harpoon Brewing

UnFiltered Offering. Guessing this is a wheat pumpkin brew and pretty pedestrian. Poured an amber-orange with a modest head but my palate and olfactory lobe were nearly overcome with the spices used to brew the ale. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves all in one sniff and taste. Just too much. That may sound a bit harsh as it was really not a bad brew. Low IBU, guessing 20-30 here and ABV at about 5%, this would be fine with any pumpkin baked goods, especially if they had chocolate in them, too. The 12 ounce bottle was a trader last week. Not a beer I'd seek out but certainly worth tasting in a session with other fall ales.
    I stay away from most Harpoon brews. They make beers I want to like but generally pale in comparison to similar competition.
    I've had some 100 barrel series beers from Harpoon that have been pretty darn good.

Special Double Cream Stout-Bell's Brewing

Limited availability seasonal ale that was a trader from dpslaw at Brunchgate on Saturday. Nice dark pour with a small mocha head and more espresso and cocoa than the sweetness expected with a typical mild/sweet stout. I'd guess the IBU about 40 and the ABV is on the bottle at 6.1% so I sipped the 12 ounce bottle slightly chilled last PM as a night cap. Good with a chocolate dessert or by itself for a night cap. Worth a single purchase, a pint on draft or as a trader. Good beer from a very good brewery.
    This might be one of my favorite stouts, ever. Picked up a couple last weekend that I'll be saving for the December or February time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I stay away from most Harpoon brews. They make beers I want to like but generally pale in comparison to similar competition.
    I've had some 100 barrel series beers from Harpoon that have been pretty darn good.
    This was a trader so I was obligated to accept. I've got a few reviews of the 100 barrel series in the archives, IIRC. I'll see if I can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    That's actually one of the things I loved about the Blind Pig. It's definitely a West Coast style IPA, but at 70 IBU it isn't over the top. A lot of thr local breweries are going for the outrageous IBUs (palate wrecker from Green Flash comes to mind), but I only like those on certain occasions.
    I've had Pliny and Blind Pig and they are both exceptional and toned down as you mention.. I wish RR sold on the east coast. Even Pliny at over 100 IBUs is a lot smoother than other hop bombs like Palate wrecker or Stone ruination. Locally to me, there are a few comparable brews--Lunch from Maine Brewing Co and my favorite, Heady Topper, from the Alchemist in Vt. Ballast Point Sculpin is another more nationally distributed IPA/IIPA that I would put in the same category.

From January, 2010:

Harpoon Ginger Wheat-100 barrel series.

Pleasant beer. Pours a slightly golden-yellow with a modest head with citrus flavors of lemon juice in the brewing process (very faint) and a bit orange-y from the wheat malt. The ginger is the dominant flavor here but is not overpowering. Minimal sweetness from the honey. IBU are low at 18 so even Ozzie might enjoy this brew . The ABV is a bit higher than expected for a wheat ale at 7%. This would actually make a very nice pair with some light appetizers or with a plate of fruit for dessert. Prolly would be a bit better as a spring/summer ale, too, but it was refreshing after dinner tonight.

This was a trader so I was obligated to accept. I've got a few reviews of the 100 barrel series in the archives, IIRC. I'll see if I can find them.
    From June, 2010:

Tonight's bomber. Yes, the whole bomber as I have been on call the last 2 nights and am on call again tomorrow so I am treating myself. The ABV is 5.8% and the IBU are 38 so I am thinking of this as a "session" bomber." Pretty traditional ESB with an dark amber color and plenty of imported English malts. I'm gonna guess some Crystal Otter malts and some caramel and pale malts, too. The most striking impression of this is the musty, earthy hop flavors and aromas and I type that in a very complimentary manner. This would probably be better as an autumn brew but I am tired of the high gravity ales for now and this would have been superb with my wife's home made chili tonight. Would make a nice beverage with stew, brisket, steaks and ribs, also. I'm ready for my 2nd serving now. A very solid choice at $6 for the 22 ounces.

Sweetwater Dank Tank Danktoberfest

Pours like a regular Marzen/ Octoberfest, with a good thick head and a clear amber in the glass.

The nose is malt with a bit of funk.
    The first sip was like New Belgium Fat Tire, with a distinct sharp finish.
    I think the beer was too cold, as it sweetens a bit upon warming up.
    This is an all malt treat, with very little bitterness. Surprisingly easy to drink at 8.5%.

Not my favorite, and a bit of almost rye bitterness to the finish.
    I'm glad I tried it since it is a limited release, but might not seek it out if there were better options.

Coming soon- reviews of Ommegang Scythe and Sickle ( could I have found a beer with rye in it I actually like?) and Lagunitas Brown Shugga ( might be among the best beers ever!).

Cheers!

Pours like a regular Marzen/ Octoberfest, with a good thick head and a clear amber in the glass.

The nose is malt with a bit of funk.
    The first sip was like New Belgium Fat Tire, with a distinct sharp finish.
    I think the beer was too cold, as it sweetens a bit upon warming up.
    This is an all malt treat, with very little bitterness. Surprisingly easy to drink at 8.5%.

Not my favorite, and a bit of almost rye bitterness to the finish.
    I'm glad I tried it since it is a limited release, but might not seek it out if there were better options.

Coming soon- reviews of Ommegang Scythe and Sickle ( could I have found a beer with rye in it I actually like?) and Lagunitas Brown Shugga ( might be among the best beers ever!).

Cheers!
    Fuse, where are you located? My first brew smelled wonderful. Fermenting now.

Wild Idea?

DBR beer consumers-

Google provides a "google hangout" which I think can sustain ballpark 10 video connections.
    Anyone interested in doing a virtual beer tasting- picking a beer and discussing over a 15-30 minute video chat?

I'm sure there are enough widely available beers that we could have some fun with this.

DBR beer consumers-

Google provides a "google hangout" which I think can sustain ballpark 10 video connections.
    Anyone interested in doing a virtual beer tasting- picking a beer and discussing over a 15-30 minute video chat?

I'm sure there are enough widely available beers that we could have some fun with this.
    Very interesting thought/idea. I have my tasting every night about 930 or 1000.

(Unser) Aventinus Tap 6-Schneider Weisse Brauerei

Auf Deutschland. The last three beers will be in order consumed from last Saturday and a "winner" declared after the last review.

Dpslaw provided this gem and I insisted he serve it after the Wolfgang as this is an absolute world classic wheat doppelbock. Poured a muddy medium brown with rich aromas of ripe bananas, cloves, a bit of orange and milk chocolate. Generous foamy head with tastes to match the scents. I have not had this in several years and about 5 of us shared a 500 ml bottle. Different than your usual doppelbock due to the wheat malt and a better brew than the Wolfgang I brought. I'd guess IBU about 30 and the ABV was 8.2% and a nice pairing with the pulled pork and all the usual fixings. Just an excellent brew.

Tripel Overhead (Bourbon Barrel Aged)-Mother Earth Brewing

I have read and heard about this limited edition brew from Kinston and was floored when fuse pulled a corked and caged 750 ml bottle from his refrigerated bag (plastic from Target with a couple scoops of ice) on Saturday night as his opening volley in our tasting. What a fabulous selection and I don't recall whether it was a 2010 or 2011 bottle and don't really care as I had never had one before and it was fabulous. Poured a slightly cloudy orange-brown with hints of orange zest, oak, vanilla and, of course, bourbon. The booziness appears a bit late but this is very smooth and not over-powering. Should be served lightly chilled and in a tulip glass or snifter and could be dessert or accompany a plate of fresh fruits before or after dinner. I think 5-6 of us shared this one and would readily buy one or two if I could find it. An excellent choice and certainly a wonderful way to make new friends.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Fuse, where are you located? My first brew smelled wonderful. Fermenting now.
    Apex. My wife didn't care for the whole house smelling like a malted milkshake when I brewed. Fermentation was not a problem. Sounds like your homebrew batch is on track!

Tripel Overhead (Bourbon Barrel Aged)-Mother Earth Brewing

I have read and heard about this limited edition brew from Kinston and was floored when fuse pulled a corked and caged 750 ml bottle from his refrigerated bag (plastic from Target with a couple scoops of ice) on Saturday night as his opening volley in our tasting. What a fabulous selection and I don't recall whether it was a 2010 or 2011 bottle and don't really care as I had never had one before and it was fabulous. Poured a slightly cloudy orange-brown with hints of orange zest, oak, vanilla and, of course, bourbon. The booziness appears a bit late but this is very smooth and not over-powering. Should be served lightly chilled and in a tulip glass or snifter and could be dessert or accompany a plate of fresh fruits before or after dinner. I think 5-6 of us shared this one and would readily buy one or two if I could find it. An excellent choice and certainly a wonderful way to make new friends.
    Without the bottle I can't be sure but I think it was a 2012. I have some 2011 and maybe some 2010 in addition to the 2012 for some vertical tasting in the future. As high gravity as this is, I'm going to need some help. One of my favorites for sure.

(Unser) Aventinus Tap 6-Schneider Weisse Brauerei

Auf Deutschland. The last three beers will be in order consumed from last Saturday and a "winner" declared after the last review.

Dpslaw provided this gem and I insisted he serve it after the Wolfgang as this is an absolute world classic wheat doppelbock. Poured a muddy medium brown with rich aromas of ripe bananas, cloves, a bit of orange and milk chocolate. Generous foamy head with tastes to match the scents. I have not had this in several years and about 5 of us shared a 500 ml bottle. Different than your usual doppelbock due to the wheat malt and a better brew than the Wolfgang I brought. I'd guess IBU about 30 and the ABV was 8.2% and a nice pairing with the pulled pork and all the usual fixings. Just an excellent brew.
    This ( or something in the same vicinity) is usually on tap at Tyler's in Apex. Glorious caramel and banana, dessert in a glass.

This ( or something in the same vicinity) is usually on tap at Tyler's in Apex. Glorious caramel and banana, dessert in a glass.
    Draft makes it sound even more appealing. And, oh yeah, I forgot the caramel flavor, too.

Founder's Harvest

I could have sworn I already reviewed this but couldn't find it on DBR, so here goes.
    I bought the four pack last week and only have one left if that is a leading indicator of my opinion.

Harvest is a wet hop ale.
    Pours a light straw gold in the glass with great clarity, and a one finger head that lingers but briefly.
    The nose is fresh pine and citrus.
    Describing the bitterness of a wet hop beer is difficult, as the only close to adequate word is fresh. The bitterness is there, but with a fullness and soft quality that is just so enjoyable.
    The finish is very clean.
    An outstanding beer I've not had prior to this week. Well worth seeking out and enjoying.
    This is not as big or super hoppy as some of the other seasonal wet hop brews, like Sierra Nevada Harvest or Estate, but is is a great beer.

I could have sworn I already reviewed this but couldn't find it on DBR, so here goes.
    I bought the four pack last week and only have one left if that is a leading indicator of my opinion.

Harvest is a wet hop ale.
    Pours a light straw gold in the glass with great clarity, and a one finger head that lingers but briefly.
    The nose is fresh pine and citrus.
    Describing the bitterness of a wet hop beer is difficult, as the only close to adequate word is fresh. The bitterness is there, but with a fullness and soft quality that is just so enjoyable.
    The finish is very clean.
    An outstanding beer I've not had prior to this week. Well worth seeking out and enjoying.
    This is not as big or super hoppy as some of the other seasonal wet hop brews, like Sierra Nevada Harvest or Estate, but is is a great beer.
    I likewise thought I had tasted and reviewed Harvest but searched and could not find it either. Guess I'll have to taste it (again) and type up something.

I likewise thought I had tasted and reviewed Harvest but searched and could not find it either. Guess I'll have to taste it (again) and type up something.
    Guess I was thinking of this:

Harvest Ale-Goose Island Brewing

I have not had an ESB in a while and this ale was a very nice example. A bit less bitter than I thought at 35 IBU, this single hop ale was a bit fruity and a bit piney and, at a fairly standard ABV of 5.7%, worthy of being included in a session or with a meal of burgers, brats, chicken or ribs from the grill. Lavabe brought this for my private enjoyment after daughter #2's wedding last month and I will use the extra as a trader next month .

Goose me!