Page 163 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 631131531611621631641651732132636631163 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,260 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Indie Pale Ale-Cisco Brewers

This is why I like trading brews. I have never seen this beer before and, if I saw it tomorrow, assuming I had never tasted it before, there's little likelihood I'[d buy a can/bottle, let alone a whole 6er. Now, having tasted one, I'm quite pleased with someone else's selection and would order this hoppy American style India pale ale with a plate of curry or General Tso's chicken, knowing the pairing would be a good one. Poured from a 12 ounce can into a pint glass, the head was foamy and I found dried apricots, grapefruit and pine in the nose but found more caramel, toffee and resin in the taste. Moderately hoppy with a nice balance, guessing 60 IBU and 6.5% ABV respectively.

beer_69258.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Jockamo IPA-Abita Brewing

Generally not one of my favorite brewers but again, another advantage to being a beer trader. I got this 12 ounce bottle as part of a recent 6er for trading. This had more aromas and tastes of cannabis and pine than citrus but it was well balanced with a bit of caramel malty flavor. IBU of 52 and ABV of 6.5% it would also pair nicely with hot and spicy foods. Pleasant red-orange color with a moderately foamy head.

jocamo_group.jpg

Werewolf-Caledonian Brewing

This is a Newcastle Special/Limited Edition brew. Pretty much a red ale with hints of pomegranate and sour cherry tastes. A bit more bite than you might expect from the style with a slightly resinous taste and a mild malty blend. I'd guess IBU about 30 and the ABV is 4.5% so I was able to enjoy a second brew tonight . Clean, reddish-brown color with a small head, this would be fine at a cook out. Nice trader to receive that I otherwise might not have bought.

Wonder if these beers are related:

KatzPiss-465x346.jpg

and

web_label506_nb8n.jpg

Who thinks of these names?

Homebrew

Going to finally start my first batch Monday with an IPA and hopefully follow with a lager. I'll try to reserve a few bottles for fuse and Dr. D to critique. Looking forward to a new hobby-was never too successful with that golf thing

Gale Force IPA-Scuttlebutt Brewing

Holy hops, AW, this was indeed a bomb! 96 IBU. I think I guessed 60-70 as most IPAs have but this was over the top. Looks like three hoppings for aroma, bittering and tastes. It was only 5.25% ABV according to the bottle but 5.6% on their web site so the usual malty/toffee/caramel balance was lacking so it really assaulted your palate, especially as our first beer of the afternoon/evening. Overall, I liked my share from the bomber that August West brought and shared with several of us and it paired well with the pulled pork, broccoli salad and allenmurray's outrageous chili and would fare equally well with spicy/hot dishes. Cool label, too.

beer_3827.jpg

Wolfgang-Great Divide Brewing

I brought this bomber and shared with an ever-enlarging group of tasters. I think my brew ended up in about 5th place for the day as the ones to follow were simply better.

A doppelbock lager style beer that poured a medium to dark brown with a mildly foamy head. Fulfills all the criteria for the style with toffee, dark caramel and dried cherry tastes with a hint of smoke. The hop presence is small with light floral notes. I'd guess 20-30 IBU and the ABV was 8%. Nice brew to pair with the slightly spicy and smokey 'cue and rich and hearty chili. I purposely opened this before the next one knowing that the 500 ml bottle to follow is likely the world standard for the style.

beer_175950.jpg

Originally posted around mid August, 2012.

Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel-Aviator Brewing Company

I'm going to cheat a bit and re-post this with the slight change being that this tasting was a canned version that I found little different (IIRC) from the bomber I had earlier this summer. Credit to fuse for sharing a 12 ounce can with me. Thanks and great to meet you last PM!

How can you not like this one devil9f.gif?

I found a bomber of this for $5.49 at Whole Foods last weekend and divided it over a couple nights last week and found it pleasantly surprising. I believe I had a pint of it at Mellow Mushroom a couple years ago before a show at the DPAC. Poured a slightly cloudy yellow-golden with a small fizzy head which did not linger. Aromas are floral and fruity and tastes are crisp apples, pears and candi sugar which is added in the brewing process. IBU relatively low at 31 and ABV is typical at just over 9%. I could match this with a plate of fresh fruit before dinner, a seafood main course or a cobbler for dessert. I still think I like Victory's Golden Monkey better but I'd certainly include this in a tasting during a brewery tour in Fuquay later this summer or fall.

Hipster Ale-Evil Twin Brewing

Taking a brief break from Brunchgate beers, Here's one from last week.

This one's got me puzzled. The brewery listed on the 12 ounce can is in SC, imported to the US via Brooklyn, but their web site lists 10 elite breweries around the world (I did not know there were any elite ones in SC.) and it looks like they brew a vast variety of specialty ales. This is a pale ale and was a trader from last week and suprised me a bit. Opening act is one of peaches and pine with a bit of caramel in a supporting role. Poured a pale golden color with a modest head and had mild hop bitterness guessing about 30-40 range. ABV is 5.5% so would make a nice choice with grilled BBQ items or seafood and would also make a nice brew to share in a session to compare with other pale ales. Might search out some other Evil Twin offerings after tasting this.

beer_183244.jpg

First batch of brew today, an IPA, is fermenting upstairs. Should take about 6 days to get happy enough to think about bottling. Will save a bottle or two for our two experts. And a few others. It was fun and very educational as I had a friend help me/instruct me. We tasted the product before yeasting and I thought it was OK, he thought it was very OK. Still had plenty of sediment and was not cold. Good flavor, plenty of caramel and aroma/taste. My entire house has a new aroma-can't believe the wife didn't ask questions about that. A good smell, tho. Quite the experience and thank goodness I had someone to walk me thru the first batch. He's been brewing for 7 years. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    First batch of brew today, an IPA, is fermenting upstairs. Should take about 6 days to get happy enough to think about bottling. Will save a bottle or two for our two experts. And a few others. It was fun and very educational as I had a friend help me/instruct me. We tasted the product before yeasting and I thought it was OK, he thought it was very OK. Still had plenty of sediment and was not cold. Good flavor, plenty of caramel and aroma/taste. My entire house has a new aroma-can't believe the wife didn't ask questions about that. A good smell, tho. Quite the experience and thank goodness I had someone to walk me thru the first batch. He's been brewing for 7 years. Stay tuned.
    Looking forward to a bottle or two. I've had a few bad home brews but have had some excellent ones, too.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Tonight I picked up two bottles (they look like 18oz, but not sure and too lazy to get up and look) of Blind Pig IPA and Piney the Elder IIPA from the Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, California (just available in Colorado in the past month). Since I'm having to work a bit tonight, I'll be sticking to the 6% ABV Blind Pig.

The beer is a very soft IPA. All of the elements of a good IPA are there--lots of pine and citrus on the nose; grapefruit and floral notes in the taste; good hoppy bite--but in a lighter sense. I wouldn't mistake it for an APA, but instead would call it a very refreshing IPA that I could actually drink as a session beer.

Anyone had this or other RR beers? I've been the brewery, but it's been a few years and can't remember what I had there.
    Just bumping this because I recently rediscovered the Blind Pig IPA. I get Pliney the Elder every now and then, but had gone a very long time without picking up a Pig. It is one of my favorite hoppy IPAs, with all of the floral hoppiness, but without being too thick and heavy.

Are these two beers widely available outside CA? Down here in San Diego, most places that carry them limit purchases to 2 per customer, so I'm thinking that distribution is not wide.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Eagerly anticipating. I love a good homebrew! Thanks for thinking of me!

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Just bumping this because I recently rediscovered the Blind Pig IPA. I get Pliney the Elder every now and then, but had gone a very long time without picking up a Pig. It is one of my favorite hoppy IPAs, with all of the floral hoppiness, but without being too thick and heavy.

Are these two beers widely available outside CA? Down here in San Diego, most places that carry them limit purchases to 2 per customer, so I'm thinking that distribution is not wide.
    If you are ever interested in shipping CA exclusives this way, I'll start making a list :-)
    Blind Pig sounds excellent, and Pliny the Elder and Younger are two brews I hope to try someday.

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin

I may have reviewed this last year, but Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin ia among my favorite pumpkin and fall beers.

I have a jolly pumpkin la parcela in the fridge that may shake up the mix, but DFH Punk'n and Weyerbacher are the best to me. Southern Tier's pumpkin beer is also excellent, but I wish it came in 12oz bottles as a little goes a long way.

Weyerbacher may have the best nose of all pumpkin beers. Sticking your nose in the glass is akin to being in the kitchen while a pumpkin pie is baking- it smells sooooo good!

The beer pours a reddish gold hue with a thick creamy head. This beer is so smooth, rich and liquid pumpkin pie, it hides it's 8% alcohol content well.

Super as a dessert on its own or accompanying a pumpkin dessert.
    I buy some every year. Well worth seeking out, Weyerbacher is a fantastic brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

I've never seen the Blind Pig IPA and think I bought a Pliney the Elder while skiing in Colorado one time. Try the Mad Manalishi (sp?) DIPA if you like hops. Checks in at 168 IBU. Your palate might need an aloe rub after that high a # on the IBU.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I may have reviewed this last year, but Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin ia among my favorite pumpkin and fall beers.

I have a jolly pumpkin la parcela in the fridge that may shake up the mix, but DFH Punk'n and Weyerbacher are the best to me. Southern Tier's pumpkin beer is also excellent, but I wish it came in 12oz bottles as a little goes a long way.

Weyerbacher may have the best nose of all pumpkin beers. Sticking your nose in the glass is akin to being in the kitchen while a pumpkin pie is baking- it smells sooooo good!

The beer pours a reddish gold hue with a thick creamy head. This beer is so smooth, rich and liquid pumpkin pie, it hides it's 8% alcohol content well.

Super as a dessert on its own or accompanying a pumpkin dessert.
    I buy some every year. Well worth seeking out, Weyerbacher is a fantastic brewery.
    Beat me to it! Just bought a 4 pack of this and will likely have one tomorrow night based on your review/prompting.

Pumpkin-UFO-Harpoon Brewing

UnFiltered Offering. Guessing this is a wheat pumpkin brew and pretty pedestrian. Poured an amber-orange with a modest head but my palate and olfactory lobe were nearly overcome with the spices used to brew the ale. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves all in one sniff and taste. Just too much. That may sound a bit harsh as it was really not a bad brew. Low IBU, guessing 20-30 here and ABV at about 5%, this would be fine with any pumpkin baked goods, especially if they had chocolate in them, too. The 12 ounce bottle was a trader last week. Not a beer I'd seek out but certainly worth tasting in a session with other fall ales.

Special Double Cream Stout-Bell's Brewing

Limited availability seasonal ale that was a trader from dpslaw at Brunchgate on Saturday. Nice dark pour with a small mocha head and more espresso and cocoa than the sweetness expected with a typical mild/sweet stout. I'd guess the IBU about 40 and the ABV is on the bottle at 6.1% so I sipped the 12 ounce bottle slightly chilled last PM as a night cap. Good with a chocolate dessert or by itself for a night cap. Worth a single purchase, a pint on draft or as a trader. Good beer from a very good brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I've never seen the Blind Pig IPA and think I bought a Pliney the Elder while skiing in Colorado one time. Try the Mad Manalishi (sp?) DIPA if you like hops. Checks in at 168 IBU. Your palate might need an aloe rub after that high a # on the IBU.
    That's actually one of the things I loved about the Blind Pig. It's definitely a West Coast style IPA, but at 70 IBU it isn't over the top. A lot of thr local breweries are going for the outrageous IBUs (palate wrecker from Green Flash comes to mind), but I only like those on certain occasions.