Page 160 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 601101501581591601611621702102606601160 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Worth re-posting with the note that August West brought it this year.
    Saturday's beer tasting winner was:

Creme Brulee-Southern Tier Brewing

This represents a style I have never tasted, heard of or thought of before and that is an imperial milk stout and we all have dpslaw(August West) to thank for this selection. Great choice!

Think of a black as night imperial stout, add vanilla beans and lactose sugar to the grains and you get a viscous, oily and smooth as silk pour with a small head and fabulous aromas of dark, dark chocolate and rich espresso. There is a small head, the roasty bitterness you'd expect with the coffee and cacao flavors that are smoothed by the sweetness of the mild stout style and vanilla. This is one of the darker beers I have ever had with a lovibond rating of 195 but they make several others with a rating of 220-245. The blackest beer I have ever tasted/seen is the Rogue XS Imperial Stout at about 250. I sipped this brew with a chocolate chip cookie, a sinful brownie and by itself and my taste buds were tickled with all three options. I might move this into one of my top 10 beers and would not hesitate to buy a bomber or two if I see it at Total Wine this fall. Outstanding concoction.

Thanks again to dpslaw(August West) for taking a chance and bringing this to the tailgate on Saturday.

ind_bp_creme1.jpg

ind_bp_label_cremebrulee.jpg

MOOOO!!!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

This represents a style I have never tasted, heard of or thought of before and that is an imperial milk stout and we all have dpslaw(August West) to thank for this selection. Great choice!

Think of a black as night imperial stout, add vanilla beans and lactose sugar to the grains and you get a viscous, oily and smooth as silk pour with a small head and fabulous aromas of dark, dark chocolate and rich espresso. There is a small head, the roasty bitterness you'd expect with the coffee and cacao flavors that are smoothed by the sweetness of the mild stout style and vanilla. This is one of the darker beers I have ever had with a lovibond rating of 195 but they make several others with a rating of 220-245. The blackest beer I have ever tasted/seen is the Rogue XS Imperial Stout at about 250. I sipped this brew with a chocolate chip cookie, a sinful brownie and by itself and my taste buds were tickled with all three options. I might move this into one of my top 10 beers and would not hesitate to buy a bomber or two if I see it at Total Wine this fall. Outstanding concoction.

Thanks again to dpslaw(August West) for taking a chance and bringing this to the tailgate on Saturday.

ind_bp_creme1.jpg

MOOOO!!!
    This is a great beer in small quantities (for me) accompanying dessert or as dessert itself. Finishing a 22oz bomber of this would be a feat. A little of this goes a long way for me, I could easily split a bottle between 4 people and be perfectly happy.

ind_bp_creme1.jpg

MOOOO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    This is a great beer in small quantities (for me) accompanying dessert or as dessert itself. Finishing a 22oz bomber of this would be a feat. A little of this goes a long way for me, I could easily split a bottle between 4 people and be perfectly happy.
    See, you should have joined us Saturday. It took 4 or 5 of us to finish the bomber and we could have easily used another grizzled beer veteran to help us.

Plus, we all had our small aliquots with brownies, allenmurray's Holliday fudge or TNTDevil's dee-licious chocolate chip cookies. And we were all quite happy after dinner and before kickoff.

See, you should have joined us Saturday. It took 4 or 5 of us to finish the bomber and we could have easily used another grizzled beer veteran to help us.

Plus, we all had our small aliquots with brownies, allenmurray's Holliday fudge or TNTDevil's dee-licious chocolate chip cookies. And we were all quite happy after dinner and before kickoff.
    Between helping organize the 519 Hearts Haiti 10k/5k and 2 soccer games, 6am-6pm was booked on Saturday, and the bed was looking real nice at 9pm (thank you ESPN3 and ipad for the football game in all its glory).

I don't agree with the conclusions, but someone tasted 14 of 25 pumpkin beers (11 more to be done in the future) and rated them here:

http://beerismychurch.blogspot.com -current header article but is 9/15 date for the blog.

Between helping organize the 519 Hearts Haiti 10k/5k and 2 soccer games, 6am-6pm was booked on Saturday, and the bed was looking real nice at 9pm (thank you ESPN3 and ipad for the football game in all its glory).

I don't agree with the conclusions, but someone tasted 14 of 25 pumpkin beers (11 more to be done in the future) and rated them here:

http://beerismychurch.blogspot.com -current header article but is 9/15 date for the blog.
    I have 3 more I will try this fall: SA (received as a trader from CB&B Saturday), Punkin and Weyerbacher. The last 2 I will have to buy this week. Sounds like a busy Saturday for you. We'll save some tasters for you this weekend.

Red Hoptober-New Belgium

Bob Greene's contribution to the beer sampling today before the NCCU game. (After a PM exchange with me.)

This is not your usual Oktoberfest brew so beware. Five varieties of hops impart floral, pine and citrus notes to the presentation and taste and two malts provide a roasty, caramel-y palate. I believe this is more hoppy/bitter than last year's offering at 60 and a bit more ABV I think at 6%. Poured a gorgeous light ruby with a two finger head, and it matched nicely with potato and tortellini salads, wings, Ozzie's standard Costco all-beef wienies, fruit salad and cole slaw. A very nice tasting brew for which I traded him a Ska ESB.

Attachment 2802

Next up (tomorrow) will be Pumking (sic) from Southern Tier.
    Picked up a six of Red Hoptober today, and had one with a nice chicken dinner.
    From a distance I think you could mistake this for New Belgium's signature Fat Tire.
    The floral hop nose is a departure from Fat Tire, and the hops come across nicely in a well balanced beer. I initially thought I detected sharp finish of Fat Tire but I think it was all mental.
    This is a nice all around beer- nothing spectacular, but eminently drinkable.
    Notable in that it is hoppy enough to satisfy hop lovers but also well balanced enough that malt lovers will enjoy it as well.

Oktoberfest-Boston Brewing Company

AKA as Sam Adams Octoberfest. Pretty standard fare here with toasted biscuit and light caramel flavors and a faint floral nose. Poured a light amber with very mild bitterness and IBU around 30 or less I'd guess with an ABV of 5.3%, IIRC. A pleasant brew for fall festivals, cookouts and tailgates. Thanks to CB&B for trading this for one of my Ska brews.

Harvest Pumpkin Ale-Boston Brewing Company

AKA as Sam Adams liquid pie. Well, really more like a liquid spice ale as this one has more cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice or a combination of the three than pumpkin despite their claim that they use 17 pounds of pumpkin per barrel. Poured a light brown with a modest head. I'd guess the ABV in the 20-30 range and the ABV is 5.7% so this is another brew that makes a nice match with fall fare, either entrees or desserts. I'd have this with pumpkin bread/cookies/cake at a breakfast tailgate, too. Thanks again to CB&B for the trader. And, no fuse, I am not trying to taste 10, 15 or 20 pumpkin ales this FB season.

End of a season

Time to start reeling in the harvest/ fall beers, but it is with some sadness I admit I am drinking my second to last DFH Festina Peche tonight.

I am certain I reviewed Festina Peche this year on the thread, so I won't repost.
    One of my favorites of the summer season for sure.

Cheers!

Hazel Brown-Boston Brewing

I'm not sure this equals the "original" hazelnut brown ale that was a winner in one of the early Longshot Brewing contests in the mid 1990s, but it brings back some pleasant memories. Poured a clean brown into a pint class with a one fingered head and aromas of toffee, medium to dark caramel and hazelnuts with tastes to match. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV in the 5-6% range. Served after about 10 minutes of warming from the 'fridge, this would be a nice brew to have with BBQ fare or with some oatmeal raisin cookies. It is part of the SA 12 pack sampler and was a trader at tailgate Saturday with CB&B so thanks to him for parting with it. I think he is stuck with the two lagers that are included in just about every SA sampler, no matter what time of year it is issued.

Hazel Brown-Boston Brewing

I'm not sure this equals the "original" hazelnut brown ale that was a winner in one of the early Longshot Brewing contests in the mid 1990s, but it brings back some pleasant memories. Poured a clean brown into a pint class with a one fingered head and aromas of toffee, medium to dark caramel and hazelnuts with tastes to match. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV in the 5-6% range. Served after about 10 minutes of warming from the 'fridge, this would be a nice brew to have with BBQ fare or with some oatmeal raisin cookies. It is part of the SA 12 pack sampler and was a trader at tailgate Saturday with CB&B so thanks to him for parting with it. I think he is stuck with the two lagers that are included in just about every SA sampler, no matter what time of year it is issued.
    Now that is too funny- I almost had my last 96 Longshot Hazelnut Brown last night.
    If there are Hazel Browns in an SA twelve pack, I will have to check it out.

Now that is too funny- I almost had my last 96 Longshot Hazelnut Brown last night.
    If there are Hazel Browns in an SA twelve pack, I will have to check it out.
    I believe there are two of them, along with Oktoberfest, Harvest Pumpkin Ale, the omnipresent lagers and a couple others CB&B had but I can't recall.

True Blonde Ale-Ska Brewing

A light, very pleasant yellow pour with a small amount of foam which rapidly disappeared, this brew has a small amount of wheat malt which lends a bit of citrus to the nose and taste. There is also local honey, making a nice combination of sweetness with the mild floral hop bite. IBU of 39 and an ABV of 5.3% allow this to be paired with entrees of lighter fish and shellfish or soft cheeses and fruit pre-dinner. I actually purchased this myself as part of a mixed 12 pack of cans from this Colorado brewer but did trade one along with the ESB and Modus Hoperandi to CB&B at tailgate last weekend and share the ESB with Bob Green as a trader for one of his Red Hoptobers.

beer_2780.jpg

Let's see how many of these I can complete tonight and let fuse know what he missed :

Octoberfest-Saranac Brewing

Lawgrad/merlindevildog9192 contribution for the day. Poured a light amber with some toasted bread/biscuit flavors and light floral hops. A bit thin but a nice starter beer for the afternoon/evening. I'd guess 30 IBU and about 5% ABV. If you have a choice of two Octoberfest brews, go with the Sam Adams that has a bit more body and flavor but this was still a solid brew.

Fest-Weeping Radish Brewing

This was my contribution to the liquid refreshment. It was a one litre swing top growler that I got as a trader a couple months ago from a drug rep and poured a slightly cloudy light amber with the ingredients to match the German Laws of Purity of 1516 (or thereabouts). Not sure which fest this is supposed to celebrate or represent as I think he got it direct from the brewery this summer. Notes of toasted bread and faintly floral hops with a somewhat astringent/sour/lemon-y finish, I'd guess about 30 on the IBU scale and it is labeled as 5.2% ABV on the bottle. Made a decent beverage to have with pasta salad, fruit, corn salad/relish, potato salad and pulled pork but not a beer I'd seek out. I never was impressed with the brewery when they were in Derm in the Brightleaf Square area and I'm not sure their move to the Manteo area improved their product any.

OK, I'm going to recycle this one from 4/7/12 with the caveat that dpslaw brought this one and it might be from 2011 but you'll have to ask him to verify that .

Happy Ending (the bomber edition)-Sweetwater Brewing

The bottled variety is a very interesting and somewhat different animal than the draft version I had at Tyler's a couple months ago. This was a trader from a drug rep and is a capped 22 ounce bottle with fake wax (aka plastic) "dripped" over the top of the bottle. Poured a midnight black with a small tan head. The nose is dark chocolate and expresso and the tastes are mainly black licorice and black strap molasses but neither are added AFAIK. There are slight flavors of dark, unsweetened cocoa and cofffee, too. Bitterness is mild to moderate at an IBU of 51 and it has a pretty typical ABV of 9%. I had about 2/3 of the bomber last PM after a small prelude on the night I sipped/reviewed the Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. Best served at about 60 degrees and sipped over an hour or so, either by itself or with some decadent chocolate dessert.

I'll add my draft thoughts and some brewer's notes, too.

(from 1/24/12)

Imperial Stout-Sweetwater Brewing

This was a winter addition to Tyler's Taproom draft menu so I decided to enjoy a $5 pint of this pre-game on Saturday. I think this used to be called Happy Ending but Sweetwater must have run afoul of some Georgia ABC commissioners with the name so they changed it to something bland and unexciting. Yawn. Nonetheless, it is an almost black brew with a small tan head that has the nose of unsweetened dark chocolate with a hint of coffee. Very roasty and slightly bitter, guessing an IBU of 60 or so which would be typical of a RIS. IBU listed at 9% so I sipped this as it warmed to near room temperature with a carolina Cuban sammich and some non-garlic fries. Not a bad combo but it would be better as a dessert beer with a few chocolate chocolate chip cookies, brownies or chocolate pound cake. I would not hesitate to buy a 4 pack and trade one, taste one and save the others until next year.

(OK, they still call it Happy Ending on their web site but it was not on the menu at Tyler's that way.)

(from the experts/brewers)

This seasonal “Catch and Release” Imperial Stout is a dry hopped stiffy, leading to an explosive finish at 9% ABV that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Available late December thru early March, in six packs, 22oz. bombers, 15.5 and 5.2 gallon kegs. Line priced with our Festive Ale, slightly higher than SweetWater’s year round lip smackin core styles.

Grains: 2 Row, Roasted Barley, Black, 70/80, Chocolate
    Hops: Centennial, Williamette
    Dry Hopped: Cascade and Simcoe
    ABV: 9%, IBUs: 51

I'm bringing this one back, too. From April, 2011 but AW gets the credit here as he was true to his word and bought yesterday's bomber in December, 2011 and let the sleeping dog lie for about 9 months and it aged pretty well.

The Dogfather-Laughing Dog Brewing

http://www.laughingdogbrewing.com/ldb/brews/dogfather

On to the brew review. Licorice, blackstrap molasses, cappucino and mocha all in a nearly black imperial stout with a modest head. 7 malts, 4 hops as the linky will tell you with an ABV of 11% (only 10.85% on the bottle 8-| ) and the IBU are 71 which is a bit low for the style but still well hopped. Serve this at about 55-60 degrees and sip for a while. You could enjoy this with a savory brisket, a spicy bowl of chili or as dessert, with or without a scoop of vanila ice cream. Certainly worth a try at $8 for the bomber but AW's bottle was $9 from a small beer and wine shop in Derm not named Sam's. This was the better of the two RIS brews we sampled yesterday but the Happy Ending was still a keeper.

I still love the label on the bottle:

laughing-dog-brewing-label-dogfather-imperial-stout-400px.jpg

Brother Thelonious-North Coast Brewing

This ended up being my person favorite of the afternoon/evening because as it warmed a bit, the flavors became richer and more complex. Brought to you by August West (posting name, not real name), this caged and corked 750 ml delicacy poured a slightly cloudy medium brown with aromas of dark raisins, dates and figs. When tasted, I could add dark brown sugar and aged dark Caribbean rum to my description. Very smooth despite its ABV of 9.4%, typical for a Belgian dark strong ale. Not a stout but more like an imperial dubbel style ale. IBU were 32 so hop presence was rather light which it should be for this style. The two stouts and this one were dessert beers/beverages and were sampled with plain brownies (good), blackberry cobbler (very good), deep dish caramel apple pie (excellent) and peanut butter chocolate chip brownies, my person favorite and prepared by my older daughter . I particularly liked the combination of Brother Thelonious with the apple pie.

brand-BroThelo.jpg

Brother Thelonious-North Coast Brewing

This ended up being my person favorite of the afternoon/evening because as it warmed a bit, the flavors became richer and more complex. Brought to you by August West (posting name, not real name), this caged and corked 750 ml delicacy poured a slightly cloudy medium brown with aromas of dark raisins, dates and figs. When tasted, I could add dark brown sugar and aged dark Caribbean rum to my description. Very smooth despite its ABV of 9.4%, typical for a Belgian dark strong ale. Not a stout but more like an imperial dubbel style ale. IBU were 32 so hop presence was rather light which it should be for this style. The two stouts and this one were dessert beers/beverages and were sampled with plain brownies (good), blackberry cobbler (very good), deep dish caramel apple pie (excellent) and peanut butter chocolate chip brownies, my person favorite and prepared by my older daughter . I particularly liked the combination of Brother Thelonious with the apple pie.

brand-BroThelo.jpg
    You got me good- sounds like there was a lot of good sampling opportunities I missed. I nope the Duke team that showed up in the second half is the version we see for the rest of the year.
    I'll refrain from returning the favour of what I would have brought if I could have made it ;-p

You got me good- sounds like there was a lot of good sampling opportunities I missed. I nope the Duke team that showed up in the second half is the version we see for the rest of the year.
    I'll refrain from returning the favour of what I would have brought if I could have made it ;-p
    I've read about your tastings and I'm sure you would have equaled if not exceeded our selections. Good thing is, you get to cellar yours for another week or two or month or two until you can join us and show us what you got.

I'm not finished yet. Dpslaw and I shared one final brew at halftime.