Page 16 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826661165161016 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout-thanks Tilly! This is as good as I remember, not having enjoyed one in several years. Tilly traded me 2 cans of this one and 3 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stouts for an assortment from my beer cellar, err, garage.
    You are quite welcome. Thank you for the exchange. I did try the Cherry Stout, even made a batch of home chocolate chip cookies to go with it. Bad idea! I didn't enjoy the cherry stout as it was much tarter than expected, even though the label states it is tart.

Will try the cookies with another brew at a later date. Am taking Lavabe's approach to drinking specialty beers, 1-2 per week.

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    You are quite welcome. Thank you for the exchange. I did try the Cherry Stout, even made a batch of home chocolate chip cookies to go with it. Bad idea! I didn't enjoy the cherry stout as it was much tarter than expected, even though the label states it is tart.

Will try the cookies with another brew at a later date. Am taking Lavabe's approach to drinking specialty beers, 1-2 per week.
    Well, at least it wasn't like that cherry wheat 'cough syrup' I told you I had at a beer festival several years ago. You may want to try some other cherry brews. A Belgian kriek might be good. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat might not be a good one but that was not the one I had at a festival years ago.

So I finally got down to trying a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, and although I've been sampling it sporadically this evening, I think I can at least present some initial thoughts (if anything changes or needs adding, I'll post again).

First and foremost, this beer needs to warm up. I'd actually let it sit for a good 10 minutes at room temp before diving in if you're pulling it from the fridge. Secondly, I really love that the vanilla is not overpowering. In fact, had the label not said so, I wouldn't have picked vanilla out as the sweetness. It comes through much more on the nose than anywhere else--which I like. Also, the sweetness is perfect to cut through the roasted flavor that a porter presents. I think devildeac has mentioned liking this as a dessert beer, but I could drink it with a hearty, savory dish as well.

ymmm, beer

last night's beer-Victory Storm King-an imperial stout

The thick and 'chewy' body of a stout with roasted coffee, even espresso flavor, but not brewed with coffee. At 9.1% ABV and the darkness of a cold winter night, let this one sit on the counter for 15 minutes or so before savoring as a warming nightcap.

No micros tonite-minor flu bug so it's sudafed, benadryl, advil and some orange juice. Tomorrow is another brew, err, day, however.

Sounds like RMtDevil liked the Vanilla Porter .

No micros tonite-minor flu bug so it's sudafed, benadryl, advil and some orange juice. Tomorrow is another brew, err, day, however.
    Oh no, get well! And remember, drink plenty of fluids! (I think beer counts, right? )
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 01-23-2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Have we noted that Vince Taylor appears @ 1455 posts?

ymmm,beer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Oh no, get well! And remember, drink plenty of fluids! (I think beer counts, right? )
    Thanks! Beer does count as fluids(there are anti-oxidants and flavenoids in beer-the darker, the better) but I just didn't think I would enjoy one last evening . Hmm, a Fat Tire tonight or a new one such as 2 Below or a Tripple...Gosh, I am feeling somewhat better already.

Thanks! Beer does count as fluids(there are anti-oxidants and flavenoids in beer-the darker, the better) but I just didn't think I would enjoy one last evening . Hmm, a Fat Tire tonight or a new one such as 2 Below or a Tripple...Gosh, I am feeling somewhat better already.
    You know, you could watch the State/GT game ...

I hope nausea isn't one of your symptoms.

Get well soon,
    Lavabe

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You know, you could watch the State/GT game ...

I hope nausea isn't one of your symptoms.

Get well soon,
    Lavabe
    Made it through the day-stuffy and achy but mustered enough energy after a nap and some homemade beef and barley soup to see CATS tonight in downtown Raleigh. That's another thread...

I did recover a bit more and developed a thirst tonite after the show. And tonight's beverage is:

New Belgium Tripple. A triple conditioned golden ale quite representative of the Belgian style. There are hints of banana and clove in this very smooth ale that has a little alcohol bite at 7.8% ABV. I will place another order for this one when my device rep asks one of his salesman to ship some. I envy RockyMtDevil as he/she can partake of this tasty offering on a regular basis.

This thread has been bumped to the 2nd page of threads. Someone drink a new beer and keep it at the top!

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    This thread has been bumped to the 2nd page of threads. Someone drink a new beer and keep it at the top!
    thanks for the bump

PS-is it your turn to taste and review a new brew? I had a new brew last PM but felt dirty replying to/following myself

Never feel "dirty" reporting on a good beer-or bad one for that matter. I wish I could link todays Baby Blues comic page segment. It is something we in the beer thread can relate to.

We are leaving for Durham tomorrow--should make it to Greensboro tomorrow night, then into town for the Tenn. women's game. Therefore it is up to you all to kep the thread going for the next week. BTW, with a couple of days of down time, still looking for any hints as to where to eat, drink and kill of time between game days.

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Never feel "dirty" reporting on a good beer-or bad one for that matter. I wish I could link todays Baby Blues comic page segment. It is something we in the beer thread can relate to.

We are leaving for Durham tomorrow--should make it to Greensboro tomorrow night, then into town for the Tenn. women's game. Therefore it is up to you all to kep the thread going for the next week. BTW, with a couple of days of down time, still looking for any hints as to where to eat, drink and kill of time between game days.
    I think I had suggested some of these on a prior post:

1. Devine's(on Main St. a few blocks off East Campus)
    2. Satisfaction's(ditto)
    3. Carolina Ale House(on 15-501 business about where South Square mall used to be)-decent bottle/draught beer selection and lots of TVs.

You might post this question on the main board and get responses from some current/recent students or folks who regularly eat/drink in Derm before the games. I live in Raleigh and often just have a Chick-Fil-A or some 'cue at CIS pre-game and wash it down with something non-alcoholic just before tip-off. Enjoy your trip. You can always 'import' some brews from the midwest, enjoy them as nightcap or three before retiring for the evening wherever you are staying and then post your reviews on your return home

Question Red Oak Brewery question

Is the Red Oak Brewery opened yet? I know the Greensboro brewpub has been opened for a number of years, but I am wondering about the brewery right off the 85/40 in Burlington. Everytime I head up to Durham, I keep wondering about it. If it's open, perhaps OHIOGUY can give us a report.

Thanks,
    Lavabe

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Is the Red Oak Brewery opened yet? I know the Greensboro brewpub has been opened for a number of years, but I am wondering about the brewery right off the 85/40 in Burlington. Everytime I head up to Durham, I keep wondering about it. If it's open, perhaps OHIOGUY can give us a report.

Thanks,
    Lavabe
    I don't know. They apparently have a nice distribution on taps at various restaurants/bars in the Triad and Triangle areas but I have never seen any bottled products. It might be a bit far for OHIOGUY to head to G'boro for a brew. I don't think there are any more local breweries in Derm anymore since the Weeping Radish moved to Manteo(good riddance-their beer sucked). They were replaced by Steve and Clark's Brewpub-same location, similar crappy beer-goodbye/good riddance to them also.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post

Don't forget about the Armadillo Grill in the Bryan Center for a pre-game beer. The last time I was there, they had a nice selction of Chimay which packs a really nice punch and tastes great.

ymm, beer

Shocked, I say, I am shocked there are no new entries here tonight after our comeback win over the terps. What are all you folks doing, posting on the main board and drinking soft drinks?

ymm, beer

new beer review-actually from last week-had to work the weekend so no adult beverages.

New Belgium 2 Below-not quite sure what to make of this one. It is golden and not brown like most winter offerings and somewhat resembles Fat Tire but with a bit more ABV(6.6%). It is dry-hopped giving it a bit more bite than Fat Tire but still quite smooth and very drinkable. Recommended to be served at 37 degrees. However, this temperature renders a flavorful ale like this, or many others, much like a coors or bud, just a cold beer. Would love to hear RockyMtDevil's, Throaty's or OhioGuy's take/s on this one.

And, with that, I become, hopefully, one 'Devil' of a poster and...

I had a tasty chocolate stout yesterday during the game, (Samuel Smith, I believe) but then was up all night with a stomach virus.

I don't like chocolate stouts any more.

Trust me, the Sam Smith's saved you from much worse agony. Thank goodness for beer.

Thanks for tips good locales for imbibing, devildeac. I'm coming down for 4 days on Thursday. (2 mens games, 1 womens game, and Super Bowl at my friends.) Beer distributors should be happy with my impending arrival.

Slim (drinking a Scotch Ale)

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I had a tasty chocolate stout yesterday during the game, (Samuel Smith, I believe) but then was up all night with a stomach virus.

I don't like chocolate stouts any more.
    Sorry to hear about your stomach virus-hope it wasn't the stout. Sam Smith does not make a chocolate stout per se. I think they make an oatmeal stout which is quite rich, smooth and roasty. They also make an Imperial Stout which is higher ABV(probably 7-8% vs the 5-6% in the oatmeal stout) and will taste chocolately due to the degree of roasting of the barley which imparts a chocolate flavor to the beer. Very few brewers will add chocolate to the brewing process.