Page 153 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 531031431511521531541551632032536531153 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'm slowly but surely consuming the older stuff- I *may* have an 03 Bigfoot, a 97(?) Thomas Hardy and the 94 Triple Bock. I have some scattered 06/07 Bigfoot, some old Anchor Christmas and Foghorn, but I'd say most of the stuff I have is probably 2010 and newer with some exceptions. Other than the last (jalapeno pepper?) Vertical Epic, I enjoyed those too much and don't have much "Vertical" there- maybe one 2010 left. I have a few assorted Sierra Nevada 30th bottles left, the Grand Cru was my favorite.
    My beer fridge is surely disorganized so there may be some surprises in there- I still have maybe one 2010, and a few 2011 and 2012 Hopslams, so I may be able to do another 4 year vertical in February.
    Some of the growing collection is Mother Earth focused- I have 2011/2012 Bourbon Barrel Aged Tripel and maybe 2010/2011/2012 Silent Night (Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout). Most of my "collection" is a mishmash of stuff I enjoy drinking (DFH Festina Peche, Saison du BUFF, Oskar Blues, Sierra Nevada) with a lot of one-off 750ml "new to me" kind of stuff. For example, I have the Stone Russian Imperial Stout and Anise Imperial Stout, but I'd need at least 3 other people to do a "reasonable" tasting.
    I have a 12 pack of Sam Adams "IPA desconstructed" that is way past the Sam Adams date but I never found enough people to chill it and do a "tasting in a box"- its two bottles of the Latitude 48 IPA (5 hops) and two bottles each with only one of the 5 hops. Supposed to be a great way to experience beer differences.

Good beer is hard to hold on to!
    Great stuff. You need to be on a "beer hoarders" show. I'll join you. Both of us may still need therapy. Got three to post tonite hopefully.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great stuff. You need to be on a "beer hoarders" show. I'll join you. Both of us may still need therapy. Got three to post tonite hopefully.
    If Discovery channel can't monetize Sam Caligione, I'm not sure "Beer Hoarders" would even have a 5 show run.
    Mr. Deville, I am ready for my close up. ;-)
    If I can make a career out of drinking beer on TV, I'm in!

Nile Special Premium Lager-Nile Breweries P.O. Box 762 Jinja, Uganda (brewed under license from SABMiller Int. B.V.)

"True Reward from the Source"

"Uganda's famous international award winning beer, brewed at the source of the great Nile River"

"Ingredients: water, barley malt, maize grits, sugar, hops & CO2"

I received this 500 ml bottle weekend before last from a couple missionaries we supported for most of the last year as they worked in Uganda and was highly surprised by the quality and flavors of this brew. It poured a light, clear yellow with a mildly fizzy and foamy head which retained its lacing nicely in a pilsner glass. The aromas were fresh flowers and the tastes matched along with light honey and straw notes. The hops were crisp and only slightly bitter with an IBU in the 10-20 range. ABV was 5.6% so I was able to finish the bottle easily on a warm summer night. Not that I'll ever see one of these again, it would make a pleasant pairing with fruits and soft cheeses before dinner or a lighter flavored/bodied fish with dinner. Very solid offering.

From the brewer:

"Nile Special has been the flagship brand of Nile Breweries for over 50 years. An eight times Gold Award and double Grand Gold winner at the Brussels-based Monde Selection International, Nile Special has been trusted over the generations for its satisfying full bodied character and consistency."

beer_7170.jpg

Skipping Stone-Uinta Brewing

Earth, wind and beer is their motto. Brand new beer to me that I received today as a trader. Light yellow in color with a moderately foamy and fizzy head, it resembled the Nile Special I had last week and just reviewed tonight except the hops were a bit more prominent, more along the lines of a true European pilsner. Light caramel and honey notes present, too. IBU are 22 and I'd guess the ABV to be less than 5% so this would make a nice porch beer at this time of year and I'd suggest pairing it with similar foods as I did the Nile Special.

beer_155445.jpg

Dr. D, I'm planning on buying a brewing kit tomorrow to start to learn how to make my own. I found a neat website last night about the do's and don'ts-I'll just need to either fix my busted fridge or get a newer, cheap one for storage. Should be interesting. Has anyone else here tried to make their own?

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Dr. D, I'm planning on buying a brewing kit tomorrow to start to learn how to make my own. I found a neat website last night about the do's and don'ts-I'll just need to either fix my busted fridge or get a newer, cheap one for storage. Should be interesting. Has anyone else here tried to make their own?
    Great idea/plans! Forget fixing your fridge. We spent $85 on a service call recently to find out it would cost us $600 to fix about a 10 year old fridge. We got Lowe's to deliver an 18 cubic foot Frigidare (?) for about $450 and haul off the old one and dispose of it properly. It's for a vacation home we share with another couple and out in a sunroom so it's only used for beverages and leftovers.

I'd send a PM to CB&B as he has brewed his own for several years and would be a great resource. I want your first born, err, brewed.

Longboard Island Lager-Kona Brewing

I think this may be the final lager in my trader 6er from earlier in the week and it was refreshing on this 85 degree night at 10 PM here in hot and sultry Raleighwood. Poured a light straw color with a mildly fizzy/foamy head which does not linger long. Very light honey and caramel notes of sweetness and summer floral hops. No stats on the can but I'd guess IBU to be 20 and the ABV to be about 5% so I will be able to enjoy the last 4 ounces of my 12 ounce bottle of Dogfish Head Raison D'Extra in a few minutes. I'd sip the lager after a lawn mowing session on on the porch before the burgers were served along with a fruit salad.

beer_2533.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I brewed for a while, made good beer and enjoyed it. Having a family has altered the dynamic somewhat, but I may brew again in the future. The best advice I can offer is have fun, it is a great hobby, but take any and all sanitation guidelines seriously- nothing will mess up a batch of beer faster than if you are not serious about being clean. I started with Papazian's book and would recommend reading it and any other home brew books that strike your fancy- there is a ton of great information out there. Buy a notebook and take good notes on what you do, and how you like the results. Good luck, it is great fun!

Southern Tier Gemini

Southern Tier beers to me are big and extreme, and generally an exaggeration of the stated style. I've not run across a Southern Tier beer I did not like, but when I think of Southern Tier, for some reason the words cartoonish or caricature spring to mind (try their Creme Brulee Stout for a signature example).

Gemini is a blend of two other Southern Tier beers, 50% unfiltered Hoppe and 50% Unearthly- neither of which I have tried.

The pour is a beautiful deep gold, almost an amber or rust gold. The head lingered briefly, and the nose is a wakeup call. I'm not sure what to expect, but the nose is big, boozy, barleywine- no detectable hops.

The first sip is very smooth, very subtle. There is a mild bitterness to the finish, and a bit of dry oak. This is possibly the mildest Southern Tier beer I have ever had. Anchor Old Foghorn comes to mind as a comparison, and at 10.5% alcohol, that may not be far off. This might be the smoothest, easiest drinking 10.5% beer I 've had. Put this side by side with some "strong" 7% beers and you might guess wrong which is the higher alcohol beer.

As it warms, this becomes a bit more like a barleywine, and the oak is a bit more pronounced, but not as strong as a DFH Burton Baton or Weyerbacher Insanity.

This is a good occasional beer, something to break out and celebrate with- you could easily share the 22oz bomber with 4 friends in a snifter.

Quite enjoyable and worth trying!

Highland Razor Wit

Has anyone tried Asheville's Highland Brewery's new seasonal Razor Wit? Wheats and Hefeweizens are my favorite, and while I'm not a ginormous fan of Highland's other brews, I think I may have found a new summer favorite! If you get a chance to check it out, I highly recommend it!

Razor_btl_sq.jpg

Southern Tier beers to me are big and extreme, and generally an exaggeration of the stated style. I've not run across a Southern Tier beer I did not like, but when I think of Southern Tier, for some reason the words cartoonish or caricature spring to mind (try their Creme Brulee Stout for a signature example).

Gemini is a blend of two other Southern Tier beers, 50% unfiltered Hoppe and 50% Unearthly- neither of which I have tried.

The pour is a beautiful deep gold, almost an amber or rust gold. The head lingered briefly, and the nose is a wakeup call. I'm not sure what to expect, but the nose is big, boozy, barleywine- no detectable hops.

The first sip is very smooth, very subtle. There is a mild bitterness to the finish, and a bit of dry oak. This is possibly the mildest Southern Tier beer I have ever had. Anchor Old Foghorn comes to mind as a comparison, and at 10.5% alcohol, that may not be far off. This might be the smoothest, easiest drinking 10.5% beer I 've had. Put this side by side with some "strong" 7% beers and you might guess wrong which is the higher alcohol beer.

As it warms, this becomes a bit more like a barleywine, and the oak is a bit more pronounced, but not as strong as a DFH Burton Baton or Weyerbacher Insanity.

This is a good occasional beer, something to break out and celebrate with- you could easily share the 22oz bomber with 4 friends in a snifter.

Had them all, IIRC. Here is a review of Hoppe from 2/13/11:

Hoppe-Southern Tier Brewing

Another first here with an imperial extra pale ale, this time a trader from CB&B after his Christmas trip to Blacksburg. This appears to be a fairly simple brew with 2 malts, pale and wheat, and 2 hops, Columbus and Amarillo. So, with the wheat malt, there is a bit of orange/citrus nose and taste with a light caramel body. The hops are more of a citrusy blend, too. It poured a light golden and slightly cloudy. The ABV is given at 8% so I divided the bomber over a couple nights. IBU are not listed but I'd wager 70-80 range so this would be a nice match with spicy dishes. This brewery has quite a number of selections with limited to no availability in this area but I'd certainly try another, especially from their seasonal or high gravity selections.

(Another brewery I discovered a couple years ago when they finally started distribution in NC. I'll look in my "cellar" to see if I have some more "aged" reviews.)

From 2/19/12:

Gemini-Southern Tier Brewing

What a luscious combination! This is a blend of 50% unfiltered Hoppe and 50% Unearthly and the result is a DIPA with hints of grapefruit, orange (from the wheat malts) and a solid backbone of caramel sweetness balancing the moderate hop bitterness. Pours a slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a thick, foamy head. I'd guess the IBU to be rather high, probably 70-80 range, and the ABV is 10.5% so this hefty bomber was split over two nights. Would make a fine beverage to serve with hot/spicy foods or to sip from a snifter as a nightcap.

(Your review is much better.)

I have never had Unearthly. Time for a beer hunting expedition.

Wedding weekend in G'boro so there will be several Natty Greene flavors discussed.

Golden (draft)-Natty Greene (duh)

This had more character and body than the bottled cousin I tasted several weeks ago. Light amber in color with a modest head and toasted bread tastes and slight floral hops. I'd guess about 30 IBU and about 5% ABV. Made a nice taster before a wedding rehearsal dinner last PM.

Buckshot (bottle)-Natty Greene's

Fat Tire, North Carolina style. This has a bit more body, a rich amber color, modest head and a bit more caramel malt sweetness and slightly piney hops than the Golden Ale. (I know that's not a good sentence but this is a beer review, not a unc term paper and I don't have a tutor.) I'd guess an IBU about 35 and an ABV of 5%. Nice pre-dinner beer.

Wildflower Witbier-Natty Greene's Brewing Company

This is a Greensboro brewery with a brewpub in Raleigh but I got this as a trader last week and sipped it a couple nights ago during a warm, humid fall evening. Pretty typical style for a Belgian white beer with a modest fizz, minimal floral hop presence and a cloudy light yellow color. There is a hint of coriander and your obligatory orange peel with a surprise addition of chamomile flower. I'd guess the IBU around 20 and the ABV about 5%. Worth a draft or a trader but not a 6er but a good warm weather thirst quencher.

Draft version:

I'd simply add that the draft edition was just fresher than it's bottled brother. I tasted this with and without the perfunctory orange slice and I prefer it with no freshly squeezed OJ added but it was still tasty even with the splash of citrus juice.

Beer infusion/interjection here:

I did not drink 4-5 pints of ale last PM. It was basically one pint and several sips of the other varieties that my son, daughters and 2 sons-in-law had ordered.

Beer infusion/interjection here:

I did not drink 4-5 pints of ale last PM. It was basically one pint and several sips of the other varieties that my son, daughters and 2 sons-in-law had ordered.
    Would have been more fun if you had!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Wildflower Witbier-Natty Greene's Brewing Company

This is a Greensboro brewery with a brewpub in Raleigh but I got this as a trader last week and sipped it a couple nights ago during a warm, humid fall evening. Pretty typical style for a Belgian white beer with a modest fizz, minimal floral hop presence and a cloudy light yellow color. There is a hint of coriander and your obligatory orange peel with a surprise addition of chamomile flower. I'd guess the IBU around 20 and the ABV about 5%. Worth a draft or a trader but not a 6er but a good warm weather thirst quencher.

Draft version:

I'd simply add that the draft edition was just fresher than it's bottled brother. I tasted this with and without the perfunctory orange slice and I prefer it with no freshly squeezed OJ added but it was still tasty even with the splash of citrus juice.
    Natty Greene beers are "ok" to me- certainly not bad but in general if I have options I will look elsewhere. Wildflower is a pretty decent wit.

Malt as alcohol source = beer ?

In the grand tradition of Zima, Mike's Hard Lemonade, and the original wine cooler Bartles and James that became a malt beverage, I was at a Railhawks game tonight and had the opportunity to try the Bud Light Lime A Rita.

I'm not sure how big the can was, but I am probably being generous if it was 8 ounces. 8% alcohol is on the can. I did not pour it out, so I have no idea how it looks. It has a great citrus lime nose, and in a blind tasting, I might be hard pressed to say it was not a mild house brand type margarita.

Given the heat, this was a tasty treat. I don't know that I'd have more than one as they are pretty sweet, but I was really surprised. I tried it on a lark not really expecting to like it. This is definitely not your traditional beer, but as a flavored malt beverage, it was good.

I can see how it would be a party pleaser for the right audience. A good summertime lawn mower choice.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Would have been more fun if you had!
    I'm with Ozzie here- as long as there is no driving involved, nothing wrong with a bit of indulgence during a celebration!